“Yea mon! loved Jamaica and felt relaxed at Sunset Beach Resort”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #18 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Gaspe, Canada
“Yea mon! loved Jamaica and felt relaxed at Sunset Beach Resort”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Loved my week in Jamaica with 3 other girlfriends at this family-oriented, friendly and simple beach resort. Loved the ambiance that kids bring to the resort and in was wedding season (end of April to May 4), enjoyed the wedding attire, etc. Rooms are simple, but clean and beds comfortable. Clean towels everyday, safe worked great. Very low water pressure and sometimes not hot, hot water. We had a garden view only with small corner shot of the ocean but, hey, we did not stay in our rooms!!Beaches were greatt!!! and I loved the ocean swimming. We always got beach chairs and even put them into water. I am kid at heart so enjoyed the water slide, lazy river and swimming pools. Was disappointed that I did not get snorkling--wanted to do this on my own but equipment was reserved for group and instructor I was told. Important to ask or reserve earlier in week. We found the buffet had great choices, although a bit disappointed with choice of fruit, always the same fruit. Wonderful omelettes and truly enjoyed watching the young chef's technique at keeping 5 pans going at the same time! awesome! We went to all 3 restaurants-italian best I would say but all good. Do have to make reservations early although we were booked for 9 p.m. at the asian one and managed to get in earlier by showing up at the restaurant and asking if this was possible. Found all staff very very friendly and always ready to help. I was not feeling well the first Monday a.m. and went back to my room to lie down and the housemaid came to clean and I told her to come back later. When I left my room, she spotted me and checked to see if I was OK and kept checking with us and chatting the rest of the week. I would definitely go back to this resort. Felt very safe and valued overall. Loved Jamaica in general, went on two excursions--one to Black River and Y.S. Falls, highly recommended, had a great guide and bus driver and learned lots about the parishes as we drove thru the mountains to the south side. We lucked out with our black river tour guide as he actually got the crocodiles to come up to the boat and he touched them, kissed them, and they gave us a bit of a show! We found that he was very informative. Loved the YS Falls area and staff there were very friendly and helpful too--considered the zip line but did not do it finally, regret that though as I think it would be fun! Next time......loved the excursion to Dolphin Cove towards Negril....went swimming with dophins and they are fun creatures. was a bit disappointed with our particular guide at dolphin cove however....our shopping trip to Hip Strip and tour of Montego Bay was a highlight with the greatest guide ever Richie Lyall...he took us all around Montego Bay and pointed out interesting things and was extra friendly and helpful. Was excited to go to Margariteville although it is pricey! all in all, great relaxing and fun week. Sunset Beach has one of everything---many bars, great waiters, loved the reggae zumba in the main pool---great moves by the guides!!!entertainment at night could be improved--too much the same thing. hope this helps

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank DebP473

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Although I am lucky enough to visit Tropical Vacations a few times each Year, I just returned from my 4th visit to Sunset Beach in the last 4 Years. The Food is great, the Rooms are good and clean, the Staff is awesome and the atmosphere is unpretentious. The best value for your dollar or 'Bang for your Buck' anywhere! The fifth time will definately happen but perhaps sooner tthis time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank KenR993
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just came back from our vacation at Sunset Beach. We are frequent travelers with great attitudes and we had a good time despite some issues. There was suppose to be a 6 pm orientation but no staff showed up.After about 45 min wait they found someone to show everyone around. Food in buffet was average at best. The 3 restaurants that require reservations were excellent. Bar was ok except the beer was gruesome They only offer Red Stripe which reminded me of Blatz beer..ugg. Entertainment at night was a 2 out of 10 very amateurish.
Internet was awful $30 and it only worked in the lobby and then only about 50% of the time would it connect. So if you need to keep in touch for business etc I would suggest pay your cell service for a special data plan otherwise your going to be very frustrated. We went on several tours. The Jeep river safari was great as was the Dunns waterfall and the entertainment park with the zip lines and roller coaster was a blast.
Beach is beautiful. If you go down past the main beach just before the
nude beach it is wonderful. I don't know why but only a few people
go there. Possibly they are worried about the nude people which are
not in view since there is a wall between the two areas. Other travelers
we talked with raved about how great Couples Resort and I think it was Secrets Resort if you want to compare prices.

Room Tip: We had a bay view room and the view was superb.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carl R
Mantua, New Jersey
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was our first time at this resort. My husband and our 10 year old son had a blast can't wait to go back! It was a quick ride to the hotel check in to a bit of time but they were working on getting us a better room ( very nice of them) We were worried about the food so I made reservation when we first got there! They book up fast we only went to the Asain restaurant was yummy we canceled the rest because the food at the main dinning room was just as good and lots of choices.
We like how they always had something going on but still I loved just chillin on the beach! My husband and son snorkel most of the day they love how you could just go where ever you want and feel very safe. We have been on lots of vacations and this one is by fare one of the best! Our son says he had a ball and we haven't even got to the water slides! Resort was very clean they were always cleaning something and never did we feel the staff to be rude! The only thing bad was the beds......ugg they need new ones! But hey the beautiful white sandy beaches and 87 degree weather in April what more could we ask for! We our already looking to go back next April and can't wait. I hope this is helpful. ( if you are looking for a nice place for kids and don't want to break the bank this is the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank Tina P
East Earl
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited Sunset Beach Resort with a group of 11 for my wedding from May 10-17 , and we had the time of our lives! I chose Sunset because it was more affordable for our family and friends. Plus, we wanted to do lots of excursions without breaking the bank which we booked through Ken's Jamaica Dream vacation. Ken is awesome and gives the best tours ever, but I will get to more about that later! This was my 12th time to an all inclusive, and my 3rd trip to Jamaica, but my first at Sunset. I've stayed at Sandals, Dreams, Riu's, and I've also stayed at a few 4 stars, but I was very apprehensive about this trip because I've been reading all of of the negative reviews for months. Please ignore them all! This is how it is at Sunset:

Check In: This was a breeze! Prior to leaving, go to the Sunset Beach Resort website and do the on-line check in. This will save you 20 minutes at the resort. Also, on-line, I was able to make my room requests which were granted! As soon as I submitted it, I received an email asking if I would like dinner reservations. I had two reservations made for my entire party before we ever left the states! When we arrived at 11am, there was a girl with a clip board who took us out of line and escorted us to a private desk for those who had preregistered. There we were greeted by the lovely Renea. She is the best customer service rep! She offered us drinks, and our rooms were ready for us. She even had our safe keys ready and waiting. Every time we walked by, she greeted us and always with a big smile, and she even remembered our names! She was so sweet that I invited her to our wedding, and she actually came down to the beach for it.

The Rooms: We upgraded to the cabana room which I though was well worth the money. We opened our patio door and were on the beach! Plus, there was a beach bar only a few feet away. We requested East wing. It's a little longer of a walk, but there was no noise. The room itself is very basic, no frills, but the maids did a great job of keeping it clean! The only complaint is that there were no fridge in the rooms. This is the first all inclusive I can remember without one. Someone in my party requested one and received it right away, but they don't stock it. You have to buy bottled waters and sodas. It would also be nice to have an alarm clock, but I just kept my cell on airplane mode and the alarm still works!

The Beach and Pools: The beach was nice. It's separated into little coves and never crowded. I didn't see the broken chairs that everyone complained about. I wasn't in the ocean much, but it was warm and clear blue, very pretty. We did walk down the beach to their water sports and took a glass bottom boat ride. That was fun, and the guys working it kept us all entertained! The pools were great! Our resort was filled to capacity, but none of the pools were crowded. We all loved the water slides and the lazy river, and there were no kids in our group! There was never a line for the slides and hanging out in the lazy river was so relaxing! That was our favorite pool. We did make our way over to the pool with the pool bar quite a few times, and that was always fun too! I didn't join in the activity pool, but a couple in our group did, and they were winning all the prizes. They had a great time!

The Food: I was so surprised at how much we enjoyed the food that I'm not sure if I can say enough about the food! For breakfast, Delano cooked my omelets every day along with 6 others at a time. He was flipping eggs and put on quite a show, and they were so good! I would have taken him home with me if I could! For lunch, I enjoyed the buffet, but the jerk chicken at the grill was amazing! For dinner, we ate at all 3 specialty restaurants. The Italian had the best food, but the Silk Road had the best service with Ray as our waiter. Request Ray when you make your reservations! Byron's was good as long as you like spicy food. You have to try the jerk pork there. Yummy! At the specialty restaurants, they do have smaller portions, but they offer appetizer, soup, salad, entry, and dessert. Eat everything, and you never leave hungry!

The Drinks: We found the best bartenders during the day at the bar near the grill. Craig was our favorite there, but there was also a very nice woman bartender who made great drinks there. If you find Craig, ask for the Craig's special. The pool bartenders were not overly friendly, but we never had a problem getting drinks. The cups are small so bring your own thermal mugs from home. There is always a drink of the day that was usually quite tasty, and you have to try a purple rain! There is no service around the pools or on the beach, and that is the main difference I have found in the 4 star compared to a 5, but we are only paying 4 star prices!

Excursions: I found Ken's Jamaica Dream Vacation though another review on here for Sunset. We knew we wanted to do the Martha Brae River Ride, Zip Lines, Rose Hall, and Cool Running's. So I emailed Ken, and he matched all of the prices that I found. You get a private tour, and he is a great guy and so knowledgeable about the island!

We are already planning a return trip to Sunset Beach resort for next year and have another whole list of excursions for Ken's Jamaica Dream Vacation. One week isn't enough to do everything! I would strongly advise this for anyone who is looking to go away and have fun!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Ocean Front Cabana Room and request first floor east wing! It's great to walk ou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Heather H
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2013

this was my 4th time staying at this hotel, i was there from May 11th-19th....and every time i return, i am treated with LOVE, just like family...this is the reason why i continue to return. i have truly made FRIENDS here....

i usually come with my man friend as a couple, but this time i returned with my nieces and they as well, have made friends....during our stay, my niece had gotten sick...and members of the staff showed GENUINE concern about her well being and did everything in their power to make sure that she became well again...special thank you to Cynthia in housekeeping, Evereth in maintenance, and the nurse...they took excellent care of us the entire time and i have to say that i truly love you guys

the food and the service was superb. don't know why people complain about the food, everything was so delicious...especially the grilled food....the fish...oh the fish....and all the fruit sauces and salsas that accompanied them....Xavier on the grill,. you are an absolute culinary genius...Delano at the omelette station in the morning is poetry in motion....i am not really an omelette person but he made me eat omelettes every morning...Damion and Shantol who served us in the buffet....big up to the two a unno...Damion is my friend for life...seeing his smile each morning was the perfect start to my day...and again congrats to Shantol...last time i was there, she was pregnant, and i got to see pictures this time of her most precious and adorable son.....

My bartender friends...Wendy, Ernest, Byron and the one at the swim up bar who never wears a name tag....you guys ALWAYS make my stay a pleasure.....much love to you guys and i will see you soon again....

and i cannot forget my friend Kenijah...you ARE Sunset Beach

now special shout outs to:
David in reservations for ensuring me my oceanfront cabana,,,,,muah
Patrice at front desk who is always so pleasant to talk to
David in the sports bar
Junior from food services
the new dj (with the dreads) you kept the sports bar packed and fun every night with your selection of "chunes"

and all the other miscellaneous staff members whose face i always remember, and who always remember my face, but whose names i don't know or can't remember....i love you all! this is the Fluffy Diva with the locs (dreads)...see you all soon....I SHALL RETURN.....the beach was great...the pools are never crowded,...never had trouble finding a beach/pool chair even though the hotel was completely booked out.....all the chairs were brand new....the drinks were strong and in abundance...Sunset Beach, everything tun up!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank blacklily74
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi Blacklily74,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Thank you for the many shout-outs and we will be sure to let the staff members know of your endorsement.

We are very happy to hear that you and your family truly enjoyed your stay with us. Nice to see you have learnt the "lingua" too. It is obvious you had great fun with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again to your "home away from home" soon. Until then.....walk good!

Natalie Boreland
Compliance Officer
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Check in/check out was fast. We got a nice quiet room above the Italian restaurant. Partial view of ocean and garden. Room was clean all week long, water pressure was low but fine. Beaches were awesome, did some great snorkeling near the water sport area, saw a sting ray,puffer fish, lots of different beautiful fish. Food was great at Asian and Italian restaurant but book reservations as soon as you check in they book up fast. Buffet was good. This was our 5th trip back to Jamaica and we always find something good to eat. Entertainment was ok. The waterslides at the water park were fun. Me and my husband in our late 30's but still had fun at the waterpark(we are kids at heart). You have to try the beef patties at the patty cart that comes around everyday( a little spicy but authentic). We did one excursion the Swamp safari village it was very good the tour guide was excellent, you get up close with crocodiles. The resort is just 15 minutes from airport which was great. We had a great time and can't wait to go back. We did use the spa services which were reasonable price and very good. Staff was always friendly and helpful. You never had to wait for a drink or food, they are on top of everything. Bring a big mug if you are a drinker so you don't have to go back to the bars too often. It was hard to find beach/pool chairs if you didn't claim them early in the morning, but I am a morning person anyway so I would find two nice lounge chairs on the shaded beach and than go to breakfast. The resort is a little dated but they do a great job of keeping everything clean. We will go back if the price is right next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,225 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!