“BETTER THAN EXPECTED”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed May 19, 2013

2nd time at this hotel - for a 2nd wedding - 1st wedding I came down for was 4 yrs ago. MY LAST memories of that 1st trip - BAD FOOD, BAD FOOD. MEH beaches.

This time around the beaches have not changed (FYI I'm not a beach bum person) but MY GOSH they have stepped it up at the buffet. This review will be very FOOD HEAVY as I am a foodie.

To get past the (IMO) unimportant parts - the rooms are cleaned daily, fresh towels, wifi only works in the lobby area and is 5$/hr, $15 for 24 hrs or $30/wk, the gift store is cool, the beaches are fairly nice, water is blue, not too much seewead.

NOW THE FOOD:

There are 3 a la carte restaurants - Asian, Italian and Jamaican. Only tried Jamaican it was good but the portions too small.

There is a beach grill that makes burgers snacks fries and JERK CHICKEN (reallly good) as as well as ESCOVITCH FISH (yum) during the times when the MAIN buffet is closed.

The MAIN BUFFET: great breakfast selections though I wish they would've had more JAMAICAN foods (ackee & saltfish, dumpling) more often in the mornings. They only did it 2x the 6 days I was there - apparently authentic Jamaican food would be VERY expensive to cook/serve on a daily basis to hundreds of hotel guests (from what kitchen staff told me).

Breakfast is the usual full English (i.e. scrambled eggs, omelette station, fruit, cereal, pastries, bacon, ham, yogurt, pancakes, french toast) BUT NO WAFFLES which i thought they had 4 yrs ago? Could be mistaken though. PS THE "egg man" who made the omelettes was AMAZING - he was like a Cirque du Soleil juggler or something, he would do 6 omelettes AT THE SAME TIME it was pretty amazing to watch him work. He made alot of tips daily JUST from his "show" in the mornings.

At LUNCH time the buffet tended to serve a bunch of different rice/starch dishes as well as some form of grilled meat/chicken/fish. The grilled fish was EXCELLENT. Not much seafood other than the fish (trout). There was jerk pork on occasion WHICH WAS THE BOMB.

At DINNER the buffet again had a wide selection of various entrees. NO ONE WILL STARVE at this hotel.

I always found SOMETHING tasty to eat at every meal. My only gripe is they often ran out of sliced mangos at breakfast which was super annoying.

Would I stay here again - NO as I've been here 2x already and that's TOO MUCH.

WOULD I RECOMMEND SOMEONE TO STAY HERE? YES definitely.

Room Tip: Some rooms like ours located very near the lobby (eg Room B101) could catch the hote's wifi sign...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KenKenIAM
Write a ReviewReviews (6,682)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family of four stayed at this great resort from April 24-May 1st. My husband and I had searched many different places that would be in our budget, had a great rating and also be suitable for a 13 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Because of the childrens age gap and differing interests, it was a very time consuming task. We did extensive research about the hotel and read every review that we could get our hands on. This proved to be both a positive and negative thing.
It seemed that the food (and the variety of it) was of particular concern to many reviewers. We, however, found the buffet to not only have alot of variety but the food was incredibly tasty as well. My husband and I are proclaimed foodies and have had many experiences with many styles of food at all ranks of restaurants. To my delight, I often saw an employee testing the temperature of the different dishes to ensure safety. The a la carte restaurants also had delicious dishes and we went to all three restaurants as soon as we could book them.
We booked a room in the cabana section of the hotel and found it a fabulous convenience to be able to walk out of our patio and be directly on the sandy beach. My son faithfully fed breadcrumbs to the schools of tropical fish near the rocks every morning. In actuality, the whole family found this to be an enjoyable passtime.
While the room was clean, we did find it to be close confines for the four of us. Fortunately we were able to obtain a cot for my son which allowed my daughter to have her own bed (lucky kid). The rooms' decor was tired but really we didn't stay in the room for much other than sleep. Unfortunately walls (and flooring) were thin and we could hear doors closing and patio doors banging shut alot. The guest above us liked to click around in her heels at 3 in the morning-wasn't too much fun. Fortunately though we were far enough away from the entertainment area so that our children could fall asleep without interruption.
We all spent a very memorable day at the dolphin cove in Negril. A thorougly enjoyable experince for all of us - but I will never forget the look of awe and sheer pleasure on both kids faces when they got to swim with a dolphin and participate in the touch experience. As anyone who has had a 13 year old girl can attest to, there are few times when you see a look of awe and wonderment on their face. I was hesitant about the cost when we initially set about going to the dolphin cove and then heading to the bobsled and Falls tours (they priced it at approximately $ 890.00) but when we went to an alternate representative, we decided to just do the dolphin experience for the day and only had to pay $ 186.00 for the four of us. I do suggest that everyone should shop around a bit for the tours and see who offers the best deal for your dollar. We had also decided to take a morning and go to the hip strip for some shopping. Our driver had incredible knowledge of the area and gave us plenty warning about what to expect during our shopping trip down the strip and at the market area. Nothing could have prepared us for the market experience. We were the only tourists at that time at the market - there were no cruize ships docked and no one else was shopping at that early hour. In all - we were there a maximum of 15 mins and during that time my children were harassed and terrified by the people pushing and pulling them in different directions. I went in the mama bear mode and swifly carted us all back to the van. My husband used to play football and is of formidable size and I'm not a wilting flower either. Both of us were quite rattled by the experience. Looking back on the experience I think it was because we were the only travellers shopping and so many were desperate to make a sale. It's a pity that it drove us right out of the market. If I feel my children threatened, I'm out of the situation as soon as is possible.
The staff at the Sunset are fabulous, personable and work tirelessly to ensure that the place is clean and well equipped with everything their guests need. There was never a staff member that we walked by that didn't smile or greet us in some way. Understanding that tipping was included in our package, we decided to tip for exceptional people/services. We happily tipped many staff at the resort. I didn't find the service to be any slower if we didn't wave around money. I found that each vacationer was equally serviced and in a very timely and efficient manner.
During the time we were there, they were also replacing the lounge chairs around the resort and adding more shade huts on the beach. Many travellers would leave their items on the beach chairs all day and all night to ensure that their "spots" wouldn't be taken by any other guest. I found this to be incredibly rude, especially when these prime spots would sit vacant for hours or days without being used (or used by these people for short periods of time). That was no reflection of the resort, just exceptionally ignorant people.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank J S
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just returned from the Sunset Beach after spending 10 nights there on honeymoon. I cannot fault the hotel, staff or food. We was upgraded on arrival to an ocean view room. The rooms are of a good standard, ok they could maybe do with a little paint touch up but this is not a big deal and its not like your in the room much anyway! The food was fantastic, such a lovely range in the buffet restaurant, in fact it's the nicest all inclusive I have been to. The speciality restaurants are even nicer. The staff were all really nice and friendly in all the hotel departments. The swim up bar is great, there is also a number of pools and the beaches so even when hotel is busy you don't really notice it as everyone is spread out. Fantastic time had and hope to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dannibaby28
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Rooms were clean, bathroom nice, a bit smaller than we thought, and in general there were some maintenance issues (sliding door in room really bad, a/c unit had some issues, phone didn't work some times) but staff very friendly (especially the guys that do water sports - some bar staff great, others not so much - Tara in the spa - terrific!) and all-you can eat food good, and the 3 restaurants, although difficult to get reservations for, were really good. The one ice cream machine on the resort was broken down for most of the week unfortunately, and the water park pool was suprisingly cold all the time, which other guest who were return guests said was normal. The big wooden ship in the waterpark is boarded up and falling apart - apparently has been like that for years.

We asked if there was any chance to upgrade to a groundlevel beachfront room in one of the low rises, since we couldn't reserve one (no guarantee for groundlevel) and front desk staff bluntly responded no, they were packed for the week. I believe they had reduced prices to pack the resort the week we were there. A real mix of young couples, families, older people staying there. There were some "token" young partiers there of course.

Overall a great deal for an all-inclusive, where they tell you not to tip. Food and drinks were great. Excursions were overpriced, and some services like spa as well (some staff complained that most guests don't have enough money to pay for the extra services), but most go to just drink, eat and relax on the beach anyway!

Room Tip: tower rooms are convenient located by the main restaurant/buffet etc. but there was constant door sl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was a bit skeptical before going because of some of the reviews. From the moment we got off our flight to the time we got back on, we were treated like royalty. It was only me and my 12 year old daughter and even *she* had a great time. We did have an ocean view room and the view was breathtaking. We booked all our excursions with Yonel at the sunquest table at the resort. Booking it through a company is usually better than through the resort as they have deals with many resorts which ensures there are enough people for the tour. There was one time when there wasn't enough people for a bus so Yonel took us himself!

The staff at the resort really made the trip as fantastic as it was. Anthony especially went out of his way every single day to make sure my daughter and I were ok.

I am planning on returning to Sunset at least once a year and I will be bringing people with me to show them how fantastic it is.

We also felt very safe. It is walled in and I had no worries about my daughter walking around by herself and visiting the Internet room to chat with her friends.

Only one thing that was annoying- the Internet. It is only available in the lobby but they were having problems with it the entire week we were there. I don't mind paying extra for this service...as long as it works.

Thank you Sunset Beach for showing us a fantastic time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sugarbooger123
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This resort was wonderful. The food was good at the buffet and it was even better at the other restaurants. The fact that all the non-motorized water stuff was free too made this trip even better. Only negative and it has nothing to do with the resort, except the fact that they book the tour. But stay away from the shopping tour to the craft mart. They will hound you from the second you get off the bus.
This is a great place for families. Lots of stuff for everyone to do.

Room Tip: There are 3 restaurants other than the buffet, but you have to make reservation. It's best to ma...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DerrylJ_13
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We've been to this resort several times. For those who complain about the food or a cracked tile in the bathroom....you should be in a 5+ star...or just stay home. This hotel is rated 3 or 3.5 I think and a great value for the money. The staff at Sunset are AWESOME. We were upgraded to VIP status and a Junior Suite upon arrival...nice surprise!! We enjoy the au natural beach where it is nice and quiet and kid free. Security is there all day making sure the gawkers stay away. The adult beach beside this is a nice quiet get away from the kids also. The kids park and pools are excellent for families with children. Something for everyone here. Food is always plentiful. We've never had an issue with food before. I actually enjoy the buffet...but this year, there just wasn't time to eat supper there! I think we got to enjoy the buffet once. As we had a beach bbq, a returning guests dinner (very very nice by the way) 2 a la carts, and a gala night with a sampling of foods from all the a la carts during the week we were there. We were treated like royalty the entire week. I have no complaints about this hotel....folks are working hard painting, raking, cleaning, etc... All new beach chairs arrived for the entire resort while we were there also. Personnally I'd like to see this resort stay at 3.5* to keep the price affordable. It's clean and friendly and we love the beach all day long, too much food, unlimited supply of drinks and a smile from every staff we meet. What more do you go south for? We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Kimberly_Philip