“Great family vacation spot!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We just got back from seven wonderful days. We traveled with family including grandchildren. The staff were great and interactive with the children. The rooms and the grounds were clean. The food was always good and also fresh. It is convenient to the airport. I am looking forward to a return trip!!!

Room Tip: We requested Oceanfront - it was a beautiful and relaxing view!
4  Thank TheresaW76
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent 7 nights at the Sunset Beach Resort with our family including 3 kids (9-13) and a grandparent. After looking for somewhere relatively affordable for 6 people to spend spring break in the Caribbean, we decided on this resort understanding that it was not going to be as nice as other places we have stayed. (My husband and I stayed at the Secrets down the road from this resort a couple of years ago and there is really no comparison other than that they are on the same beach.)

First, the positives. The kids had a great time. They asked if we could go back again next year while we were on our way to the airport. There were activities planned throughout the day, music playing, volleyball net always up in the pool, and waterslides going from 10am-5pm. Besides the pool entertainment there is a basketball hoop, minigolf course, and giant chess set on the other side of the resort. The indoor/outdoor lobby area stretches into a breezeway that reaches straight through to the beach and it is a great place to get out of the sun (or occasional rain) and play cards, read, get on the wifi, or watch the game on the TV at the bar. I never heard, "Mom, we're bored," the entire week.

Now for the acceptable but not great aspects. The rooms are simply ok. If I entered a hotel room like these in the USA, I would not stay more than one night. The HVAC is unsophisticated and difficult to keep at a constant temperature, the building is basically clean but not painted or decorated with care, and the walls are thin and let in a lot of surrounding noise. The food, as most others have pointed out, was mediocre other than at the dinner restaraunts which are difficult to get reservations for. There is a grill open at lunch and a buffet open most of the day. We could generally find something that we were ok with, but nothing we were going back for seconds for. There is no daily schedule, TV channel guide, or resort map in the rooms. Also, no room service, free or otherwise. All of these things I figured were the trade-offs for staying at a resort more affordable for the family.

The bad and bordering on unacceptable. The service is as bad as other reviewers have already said. If you are imagining yourself lounging on the beach with someone coming up and asking what they can get you to drink, you need to stay somewhere else. The only staff members approaching you on the beach will be spa employees attempting to sell services or photographers. The service once you walk up to the bar yourself is cold bordering on rude. There is no bantering, conversation, or even kindness . . . . in 7 days, we did not meet a friendly bartender. Also, they serve drinks in about 5 oz glasses and then seem annoyed when you require their services with the frequency that these small drinks require. They acted very put-out when I inquired about a drink menu. The other annoying and completely avoidable issue was the poor condition of some of the recreation items. The 1 basketball (yes, they only have 1) was flat to the point that it could not be dribbled. We checked out 3 board games and 2 of them were missing pieces. The giant chess set has more broken or missing pieces than not. If this place invested $500 in these small items, these problems could be solved and it just screams, "We really don't care."

So, would I go here again? That's a difficult question. Yes, we had a good time. Jamaica is beautiful. The weather is wonderful. We ate and drank to our hearts content without concerning ourselves about the daily bill. But, if I can afford to upgrade to a nicer place the next time, I will.

Room Tip: If having a room connecting to or next to someone is important, emphasize it ahead of time. We assum...
2  Thank samanthajw
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This resort exceeded our expectations, especially considering how little we paid for the trip overall. Very close to the airport which is convenient. The rooms weren't fabulous but were standard, clean rooms with a gorgeous ocean front view. The food was great and we were happily surprised by the quality of the buffet food. Of the three restaurants, we liked the italian the best. Not much to do at night, but it made for a very relaxing vacation. The bars have a wide variety of alcohol. The beach is short and fairly rocky, but the pools were nice. Hotel employees were the BEST! Special thanks to Angie for making our week so much fun :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank 757RebeccaM
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family of 7 stayed April 2-7. We were picked up in a private shuttle bus from Island transfer and Tours. Round trip only about 100 bucks or so! Our plane was late but they were right there waving a sign, and right on time to pick us up for our return to airport. Well worth it to be alone to hotel with your group.
Trouble started right when we arrived at about 3 and we were told our 4 rooms would be about an hour. Okay, went to have a snack at the grill and walk around, 1 hour turned to 2 hours. Oh wow, my husband went crazy! Then they finally got our rooms and told us no we could not have safe keys since they were out. Boy, I wanted to hide. But, after raising his voice and complaining, it was a miracle, 4 lock keys showed up!!! Not only that but we were given a free cataraman cruise for all 7 on the house for the inconvenience thanks to the Manager. And that was a fun fun fun time.
The rooms were wonderful. We had oceanfront rooms in Tower B. Clean, comfortable beds, and wonderful views.
The beach was even better. Sure there is seaweed, but luckily I read the reviews and brought our water shoes. We snorkeled 2 times a day. We had our own snorkel gear and could go whenever we wanted. Great sea life right off the beach. We walked the beach every night and saw so many jellyfish washed up on shore. Beaches were kept clean all the time. Every morning we would be up at 6 walking and always someone was cleaning up the beach. It is not their fault that people throw straws and garbage all over!
The food was great. We had the Buffet almost every night and never got tired of food. Great jerk chicken and pork!!! Yes the ice cream was always out!! Drinks and staff awesome!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are awesome!!!!!!
7  Thank smokymtchalet
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was impressed by this hotel for value for money - to be honest we were 2 Brit girls on search of an adventure whilst in New York so we jumped on a flight to Montego Bay and booked the Sunset Hotel to check out montego bay and then spent 4 nights in Negril to ensure we saw as much as Jamaica as poss.

The hotel was super clean, staff were friendly and welcoming but i dont think they can go as far as calling the hotel a 'spa' ! i had a facial and it was pretty old school and basic but nice none the less!

The entertainment was average - perfect for young families but i think it was a bit lame for adults we just consumed strong drinks and went to bed to make the most of the days.

The private beach was STUNNING and activity wise in the day theres lots to do. We went on a day trip to mystic mountain and was promised a lunch at the sister hotel which er never happened but instead we got a cheeseburger! The tour guide Patrice seemed like she was fed up and wanted to go home but luckily we had a great group and made the most of the day, it was a nice opportunity to meet other people on vacation.

Overall food was nice, beach was beautiful, we always got a sunbed, staff were friendly, rooms were spacious safe and clean.

The hotel could improve its entertainment and communication to let people whats going on when, it could offer wifi for the whole complex instead of only at the reception and it could provide a cocktail menu!!

IF you're looking for a chilax then this is the place to go but i would recommend staying in both montego bay and negril to get the best of beautiful jamaica!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jayley-Hade
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have a family of five that traveled for spring break a full week. We did use a travel agent, hard to find a resort to accomidate 3 kiddos and 2 adults...our first room was ridiculous "Bayview" it was way to small we had to ask for a rollaway and once they added it to our room with the two double beds (not queen!) we couldn't even open the sliding door and could hardly move around. After talking with the front desk more the once they moved us the next day to a better room (which took the whole day!) by the water park. This room was bigger again two double beds plus bunk beds. BUT it smelt very musty and the ac hardly worked at all (even the cleaning lady complained it was hot). The food was average, the same every day not much of a variety at all. The entertainment was good the first two nights but after the second night it was the same entertainment all week! Nothing new, weird and disappointing. The staff was nice but not overly friendly at all. When you would go up to the bar there was no personal interaction at all...they asked "what do you want" makes the drink and sets it down. Not even much of a smile, disappointing. We would of appreciated more of an effort. Overall my husband and I have stayed at much better resorts we were disappointed...our children really didn't know any different and enjoyed their time besides the not cool room to sleep in at night! I would recommend a different resort for the money we spent, wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: If you have a large family go for the rooms (water park) with the bunk beds for more room.
1  Thank AjaNewman
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to start by saying I am not an all-inclusive person, however, I would return because this place was fantastic. The entire staff was friendly and seemed to really want you to have a good time. There are so many things to do, each person can be satisfied. They really seem to cater to little ones but it didnt bother us. There are enough beaches so you can avoid annoying people.
I want to mention a few of the staff that stood out to us but I'm sure I am missing some... Shaudae, LaToya, Leon, Sheree, and Junior. I also really enjoyed the guy and girl Reggae Zumba instructors.
My husband and I took advantage of the candlelight dinner for two one night. It's extra but totally worth it. They had a candlelit walkway to a candle covered table strewn w flower petals. The 4 course dinner was wonderful as we sat under the stars.
We had 4 teens between the ages of 14-17. They loved snorkling right off the beach and the lazy river. One complaint was there are few tubes for the lazy river, but when you DID get one it was very relaxing.
I usually don't like buffets but the Jamaican food was delicious. The specialty restaurant dinners are good as well. I recommend you make reservations as soon as you can. I also ask you to let the restaurant know if you won't make it. It would help the rest of us get in. There were tons of empty tables from no shows.
I could not have been more relaxed during my vacation.

5  Thank Cathy G
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!