“Impressed!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #21 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We travelled as a group of 5 (four adults, one child) from March 14-21 with WestJet. That is the first and last time I fly "WetJet" as my husband calls it. Horrible flight and airline. Never again.

The first impression of the hotel was very nice; some cold bevvies were served as we waited to check-in. It was very hot especially coming from the Arctic freeze. Everything moved fast and we were in our rooms with our bags by 8:30. I had mentioned to the bellhop that we only had one king bed for three of us (small child, two adults) When I returned from dinner, one of the staff was waiting at my door with a rollaway bed. I hadn't asked for it but he insisted we have it. No problem, mon. It was tucked away in the corner of our adjoining room and we used it to store our bags and extra clothing. The room (A306) was always clean and smelled of bleach; sheets included. Belinda was such a kind lady, always smiling and laughing. She did a great job. The light was out in our little hallway and I mentioned it to the staff downstairs and it was fixed right away. I never saw any bugs. The a/c can be very cold so we would shut it off when it wasn't needed. We would open our sliding door for a cool breeze which faced the ocean and the pool with the sea turtles painted on the bottom. My son loved that part, especially watching the cruise ships come in.

Would have loved a little fridge for water, but I would go down before bed and fill up our ice bucket. I would barely make it around the corner, and a staff member would ask if I needed ice. I found the staff here extremely courteous, helpful and attentive. They would do anything for you and you didn't have to wave a bill like in Cuba. I don't know what others are talking about; the staff at Sunset Beach was awesome across the board. One girl at the restaurant booking, (Saundae, sp?) was so friendly and always working hard. I don't think that girl ever slept.

The food overall was great; the a la carte restaurants were fine dining with beautiful plating and culinary detailing. The wines were superb. The Italian was our favourite. You didn't go hungry at the buffet either; yes, a little repetitive towards the end of the trip, but we definitely didn't starve. Lots of vegetable choices and none of us had any stomach troubles. The grill was great for lunch too with good burgers and jerk chicken. Some of the shows at night were out of this world; the fire dancer, the steel drum acrobats. Standing ovations for those nights. Wow, I was blown away!

During the day, we never left the resort and found tons of stuff to do. The waterpark was the main attraction for our son and he loved it. The inside of the castle is moldy and shade is lacking at that pool. The beach is beautiful although a little rocky in parts (bring watershoes, I was glad I did!) We did paddle boats one day, mini-putt, and giant chess pieces for the kids to verse. We were never bored although we had a six -year-old to entertain! Vendors came to the hotel and sold their wares. I never felt any pressure and did purchase a couple things. I can't believe the haters on this site who have the nerve to diss THE PATTY MAN! That guy is an absolute icon at Sunset Beach. The children adore him and he is so sweet. His patties are "heavenly" and he is riot. The gift shop was quite lovely and pretty reasonable. I liked having a laundry facility on site as anyone with small children can appreciate this amenity.

Unfortunately, I became very ill pretty much upon arrival at the hotel with a nasty throat infection. After four nights of coughing my brains out, I did see the nurse at the resort. She called the doctor and I was treated 20 minutes later with antihistamine, antibiotics and cough syrup. It was pricey.. $350, but I have insurance and had no other recourse at the time. Nurse Walters and Dr. Robinson were wonderful and I recovered quickly after treatment. They also gave me some excellent advice regarding my son's constipation and hallelujah, he was also relieved of his troubles shortly after their sound input.

I don't understand the people who shoot down this resort; it is not listed as a 5 star..you are not at the Secret of St. James or the Ritz Carleton. You knew that upon booking, didn't you? It is a 3 plus but truly exceeded my expectations. I've stayed at 5 star hotels as well in the past. I can honestly say we had a fabulous holiday with fantastic memories of the Jamaican people and their gracious hospitality. I've noticed that most of the negative reviews are from Americans; once again demonstrating that Canadians essentially are more accepting and tolerant human beings. Thank god, we were the majority and they were the minority at this resort.

I would return to Jamaica in a heartbeat! Loved it, loved it, loved it!

5  Thank Partymama731
Write a ReviewReviews (6,748)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

nice place a little dated but very clean, staff was great and the food too. If your looking for long walks on the beach this will not happen at its not that big.I would not go on the 10:00 bus trip on a sunday as they take you to 2 stores and the 3rd stop is shacks on the side of the road and the woman come out and take the women away from the men and they get you in there little shacks and really try to get you to buy something, we found shopping at the airport on the way home was good

Room Tip: we stayed in tower A 6th floor facing the bay, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Dates of travel: Mar 21-28, 2013

Airline: flew air transat direct from Edmonton, 5.5 hour flight

We flew into Montego Bay at approx. 5:30pm on March 21. Air Transat reps were there to direct us to our shuttle. The hotel is a short 20 minute drive from the airport.

General impressions on Arrival: the resort at first glance is not impressive. It was built 25 years ago and so is beginning to show its age. The lobby is large, open, airy and pleasant. The front desk staff are professional but not particularly pleasant. We were told on arrival that they would not have a key for our safe until the following morning. They do request a credit card to be on file in case of incidentals such as phone calls etc. We were given a welcoming cocktail and then we were on our way to our room.

Accomodations: Our room was B104 which is in Sunrise Tower B. This resort has 430 rooms located in two 8 floor towers, or low rise accommodations in junior suites on the other side of the resort. Our room was simply but nicely accommodated. We had a king size bed which really was a king and was soft and comfortable. Bathroom was small but clean, with hairdryer. There was a small flat screen TV, this resort does not have mini bars in the rooms. Our balcony looked out on the promenade with a corner view of the ocean. The safes in this resort are the old type with the key/lock that you insert instead of the digital type. Our maid was excellent, we asked her for more towels on our first day and she made sure we were always well stocked. The room was always spotlessly clean by noon.

Resort type: this is a family resort. There was everything from families with kids, to young adults to older people, singles. It was a great mix of people. It does get quiet at night, if you are looking for action I will get into that later in the review.

Amenities: The quiet pool with swim up bar is located outside the lobby. This is a good place to hand out if you want relative peace although families with kids also enjoy this pool. The other pool is by the stage on the opposite side of the buffet. This is the pool where all the entertainment takes place. They had zumba, reggae dance lessons, games, pool volleyball and music around this pool. Next to this pool is the pirates cove which is where the kids water slide complex is. This is a great area, there are two 35 foot water slides built into a castle, a pirates ship and lazy river and a kids club and teen club. Some of the low rise accommodations look out right on this kids pool area. I cannot see any kids not enjoying it.

Beach: the beach is divided into sections so at first it may appear that the beach is too small, but there is a section by the quiet pool, a section that runs from the entertainment pool to the ocean front low rises, and then there is a cordoned off section that is clothing optional. This area is guarded to ensure kids dont wander over there. The beach is soft sand and is raked daily. There are stone walls built out in the water to provide protection from waves and define the shallow area. Jamaica is surrounded by a coral reef, so you can snorkel right off the beach and the reef starts about 50 yards out. The water is shallow and beautifully clear. The beach staff offered daily guided snorkeling trips, hobie cat rides, paddle boats and kayaks, all included. They also had para sailing, glass bottom snorkel tours and fishing excursions, all without leaving the resort. Bring water shoes as there are weed beds in the shallows and lots of spiny sea urchins and crabs you would not want to step on.

Food: I do not understand all the negative reviews surrounding the food. The resort was at capacity the whole week we were there yet we never had a shortage of food or a bad meal. We believe in eating the foods that are indigenous to the country we are in and jamaican food is incredible. Every day there was jerk chicken, various types of fish, steamed calahoo which is a vegetable like spinach, fresh fruit, vegetables, rice. The omelette station in the morning was always good and fresh, there was juice, cereal, milk and the coffee in Jamaica is excellent. There were line ups since the resort was at capacity but they moved smoothly and the staff was quick to replenish any items that got low. The food was always hot, and if you dont want to stand in line the beach grill served up burgers, grilled cheeses, hot dogs and fries. Several times the buffet was served in the stage area and one night they had a big pirates beach party with a live steel drum orchestra, another night they had a big bonfire and reggae party on the beach.

A La Cartes: there are three, italian, caribbean and asian. We ate at the italian and caribbean and the food and service was incredible. Book your a la cartes on Saturday for the following week. The resort was full but we got into the ones we asked for.

For the Fitness Buffs: there is a fitness center that is well appointed, also daily zumba that you ca do in the pool or on the deck. There is also a spa, with prices ranging from $65 to $150, depending on the service.

Entertainment: nightly entertainment is like any other resort, the staff put it on and do their best but it is not professional. They had a fashion show using the guests, karaoke night, managers cocktail party, steel drum band, other bands. Everything winds down by 10pm though as this is a family oriented resort so if you want to party til the wee hours read the next section.

For the Party Crowd: The Hip Strip is a 10 minute cab ride away. It is $40 round trip and these guys will take care of you. They drop you off and pick you up. Or you can take a free shuttle which leaves the resort at 7 or 11 and comes back at 2 am. While we were there there was a big street dance with live bands and food which was fun. A lot of people go to Margaritaville or Pier 1 to dance and those places are usually packed and great music.

Shopping: Shopping in Jamaica is an interesting experience. I thought the vendors in Mexico were aggressive, but they have nothing on the jamaican ones. Be prepared to say no and mean it if you do not want to buy. There are good crafts, local things made of leather, wood, and of course t shirts. The local rum is 63% and you can drink it or use it to clean your house lol. The hotel will shuttle you down to the craft market and back for $10 and make sure you are not harassed too much. I found the best way to deal with the vendors was to have a cold Red Stripe (local jamaican beer) and smile and tell them no thank you. You have to remember this is a very poor country and these people are desperately trying to make a living.

Excursions: we only did one but it was awesome. Take the Cool Runnings excursion, for $119 they feed you, then you hop on a catamaran and go snorkeling, followed by climbing 960 feet up Dunns River Falls, then back on the catamaran for a reggae/socca party going home.

The People: you may hear a lot of negative things about jamaica but most of it is unfounded. My sister in law and I went into town on our own to shop and experience the local culture. We never had a bad experience and the local people are pleasant and curious. Yes, they do try to sell you things, but everyone here is just trying to earn a living in a place where that is very difficult. We also used the local cabs and had no issues with them. Go with an open mind and be genuine and these people will ensure you go home with good things to say.

We had a great week of sun, and came back feeling really relaxed. I am sure part of that was due to the laid back atmosphere. We will go back again for sure!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Nicole H
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I saw this hotel online and thought it looked great, but once I arrived it was disgusting!! The rooms are sooo outdated and the pool area was dirty and filled with bugs and leaves from the trees. The buffet food is the same EVERYDAY!! I unfortunately stood here for a week, dissatisfied. Had to eat the same food. You even have staff members going up to my friends and I asking if we were looking for weed or cocaine. What the hell is that? I also noticed management trying to talk to young tourist girls that were at the resort. These were older men, it was so disgusting!! Families should definitely not bring children there, let alone spend a dime at this resort. On the last day at the resort I was at the diner and noticed a huge cockroach by the buffet area. I informed management they were more upset the workers didn't kill it before I seen it! Wow!! After watching the entertainment a few nights into my stay I went to the bar and noticed a bartender washing sippy straws. I asked the bartender if he was reusing these straws and he bluntly told me yes! I was shocked. What resort washes sippy straws? That is plane disgusting!! They overcharge to stay there and is infested with bugs and roaches and they can't afford to purchase new straws. The health department in JA should definitely be notified of this dirty and disgusting hotel. DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE. Unless ur looking to have some used straws and extra critters in your food!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank TravelChick718
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear TravelChick718,

Your review is so contrary to the majority of reviews posted on this page that I honestly am not sure how to begin. First of all, we are very cognizant of the fact that there are persons who may not appreciate or like what we have to offer and will therefore share their opinion, to which they are entitled. However, you have levied some very serious allegations that must be addressed.

We believe it is our duty to ensure that a balanced picture is presented especially when there are defamatory reviews posted that we are incapable of validating.

It should be noted that our Policy is that any person who possess or use illegal drugs of any sort on our property is subject to referral to the police once we are aware, as it is a criminal offense in Jamaica. We are also very cognizant that from time to time, there are persons who approach our staff requesting them to get involved in drug sale and use, however all our employees know that our policy dictates immediate termination if they are in breach of our drug policy or fraternization with the guests. We make no apologies for the strict policies and procedures we have in place to ensure the safety and security of both our guests, staff and assets.

We are very happy to state that our operations are inspected by various state and industry agencies including our Ministry of Health and the Tourism Product Development Company/Jamaica Tourist Board as well as by our travel industry partners to ensure compliance with the numerous certifications and licences that are mandatory requirements in the Tourism & Hospitality Industry. We take pride in ensuring that our operations at all times, comply with all international standards.

We are a successful family resort who cater to many nationalities, ethnic backgrounds and personalities with many varied expectations; all of which we strive to satisfy.

As a concerned guest, we regret that you did not bring these observations to a member of our management team so that these could be dealt with immediately and have the opportunity to enlighten you.

Always At Your Service,
-Natalie Boreland
Compliance Department

Reviewed March 28, 2013

03/23/2013 for 4 people for 4 nights.

First impression: Warehouse style rusted roof covering space between 2 tall buildings must’ve been a lobby? At first I thought driver made a mistake and brought us to wrong entrance. Unfortunately there was no mistake that is the main entrance to Sunset beach resort of Montego Bay.

Check-in: was a pain. From our arrival at 3:30 pm within 1 hour they were “working” on my reservation for 2 rooms placed on expedia.com 4 month in advance. At 4:30 we got a key for the first room. At 5:30 for the second. Front desk lady was constantly on the phone with some hotel staff holding us for hours. The rooms I paid were “garden view” and we got 2 rooms at very end of the resort – the most remote rooms they have. That was expectable. Request for king size bed was ignored.

Room: Basic poorly furnished room. Wall to wall window with sliding door to balcony with nice garden view. No bottled water. No mini bar. No fridge. Bathroom is tiny with a plastic vanity. Huge hairdryer with no hanger takes most of the space falling often. Poor tile work – not pretty. The second room (was ready at 5:30pm) did not have a light in bathroom. Once the light was fixed we found neither bath tissue nor soap. Question how they make a room with no light?

Resort: Unpleasant pools surrounded by dirty concrete which haven’t seen a power wash for a long time. There are no beach umbrellas what so ever. Most lounge chairs at the beach are broken. Practically no shadows available. People reserve lounge chairs by leaving towers and personal belongings on them. It must be done right when somebody vacant a chair. Better at night. Early in the morning too late, you cannot reserve any good spot at all – I tried. Paid internet is in the lobby only. Pain to login (you wait for minutes for the login screen). Often disconnects but fast. They burn garbage at night. Every morning once you open a door you smell horrible smoke.

Food: Primitive and disappointing. No fresh juices no fresh pastry. Fruits are scare you may need to wait for mango and papaya to get some as they are the most demanded. There is no bakery on premises. Italian restaurant was good but hard to get reservation within 4 days. We got 9pm seating but showed up at 7pm and were seated yet we were lectured by bartender that we not supposed to do so. Main buffet has a dull decor the same I’d say about bars – BORING. No glass even in the lobby. Plastic glasses are so worn out – almost disgusting. Drinks are local and cheap.

Hospitality: They want payment upfront for spa treatments with cash or a credit card. Once they learn that I want be billed on my room they refuse the service. They make room afternoon. Once we came back from beach at 4pm and we were waiting for the room to be cleaned.

Checking out: was easy yet nobody showed up to help with luggage.

Room Tip: East wing is the worst. Choose another hotel.
7  Thank Epel

Dear Epel,

Thank you for choosing Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterfall for your recent vacation. We have read and noted your review and regret that your vacation experience was not all that it could have been.

We note especially the challenges you experienced at check-in and check-out and will incorporate such examples in our training program as we strive to continuously improve our service delivery.

You will appreciate that as an all-inclusive property, we cater to many different persons who all have varied expectations and preconceived ideas for their vacation experience and we are always working to exceed the expectations of our most discerning guests.

We regret however that you did not give us an opportunity while you were here to address your concerns by speaking to a member of our management team. Please know that the Management and Staff are committed to ensuring that all our guests enjoy a uniquely Jamaican 5-star service experience and we take pride in our product and our people.

We have also noted a number of statements in your review that are not true and wish to clarify that (1) In keeping with our conservation efforts, our garbage is taken offsite for disposal. We do not burn garbage, and (2) We do have a bakery. Our pastry shop makes all our pastries and desserts on site except for bread for toast, bagels and English muffins and all are served fresh.
(3) Jamaican Fresh fruits are served daily and those that are in high demand will constantly have to be replenished.

While we appreciate that reviews are subjective, we thank you for taking the time to share your
opinion with us.

Always At Your Service,
-Natalie Boreland
Compliance Department

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a chance to spend just 2 nights here, but really enjoyed it. Much different from Ochi Rios Grande. The rooms are nice, the pools are warm and the beach is a bit rustic, but that was fun for the kids. The snorkelling was great around the rocky walk ways.

The buffet was excellent, we did not get a chance to try the ala carte.
Drinks are much fancier than the sister ochi resort.
Staff, not overly friendly but not unfriendly either.

Internet slow and expensive.
Shuttle service into town about 5 minutes away is expensive $10/per person.

Overall, great resort for families, the tube run is fun, and the rooms have great views, splurge on an ocean front here!

Did a day trip to Negril $180 for a cab ride for 6 of us for the day. Beautiful beach there.

Overall, nice resort and good value compared to other resorts in Jamaica.
Evenings have great entertainment, and end by 10pm. Hotel is quiet at nice and it's easy to get a good sleep! Wish we had spent more time here and less time in ochi rios grande.

Room Tip: Splurge here on an ocean front, really pretty views!
3  Thank kpskelowna
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Sunset Beach resort was very nice. The service was good, rooms nice and clean, food was good but I think they could expand there selection of fruits it was very limited and I was very surprised not once during my stay did I see a banana. The resort was much bigger than I had anticipated and me personally I prefer something smaller so u can get to know workers and vacationers better. But overall the resort was very nice.