“Very Good”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Very Good”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just got back on Saturday March 2 - I too booked this resort for two main reasons, the value and location. It was only 15 minutes from the airport and that apealed to me with the weather you never know what to expect and the price was just what I wanted. After reading trip advisor reviews I felt good about my decision. When we arrived my first impression was what a great lobby it is definitely the center of everything and very inviting. The room was an ocean view definitely worth the upgrade money and it was a beautiful view, very large, clean, modern and a very comfortable bed. We sat on the balcony everyday and were awed with the beauty of the grounds, beach and sunsets. The three restaurants were very nice inside the Italian was the prettiest but the least favorite as far as the food. The Jamaican was the best but seating was uncomfortable we liked it so much we ate there twice, the asian was lovely and food very good. Now for the buffet - the breakfast was great you couldn't ask for anything more, I was thrilled with the variety and the platters of frest fruit and fresh juice. Lunch again was very good I ate fish everyday but there were plenty of options they had a deli area which was good, Jermaine made a mean sandwich. If you like hamburgers, hot dogs and fries they had them at the end of the entertainment area at the grill. Dinner was a good variety a little repetative but that is what the restaurants are for. The beach barbecue they offer evey week was fantastic..The flaws would be the entertainment, not enough and also activities for the adults were nonexistent. We did the spa and that was very nice - the girls are great. Chuka canopy zip lining was so exciting I will never forget it, super! The staff is wonderful, the concierge desk is not well informed - I booked my excursions with the tour people outside by the pool - very knowledgeable be sure to ask for details as far as how to dress and what to bring, towels etc.. I would go back to Sunset and I would stick to the months when school isn't out. It is a little noisy and we are an older couple that don't party day and night..

Room Tip: upgrade and ask for a room 5th floor and higher, you can check in before you get there
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Jill and Skip G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,400)
  • Polish first
Southampton/London
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Needs updating...just an average all inclusive...stayed in rooms overlooking the gardens I'm glad we didn't end up in the towers.
Poor service in the restaurant but generally friendly staff.
Stay here if you for a basic 2/3 star experience.
Too many loud noisy groups!

Room Tip: Ask to stay overlooking gardens/ wedding pagoda not towers!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sunny22_10
Riverview, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

my friend and I booked this vacation because it was reasonably priced and it was stated as a 4 star resort. Well, i personally would give it a 2.5 or a 3 tops. It was clean and a fairly big hotel, but they need to do a few things to make it better. The beach was small, you could walk the whole length of it in 5 minutes, there was not enough umbrellas for shade both on the beach and the pool area. The pool area only had to 2!. Speaking of pools, they had 3 of them. 3 small ones not counting the kiddie pool and water slide. The food was another thing. It was very monotonous and everything tasted the same. The staff was not over friendly but managed to crack a smile when you pulled the dollars out. There was no entertainment to speak of and when there was something, it was repetative. One can only watch one juggle for so long. All in all , I personally would not go back to this hotel. If you want peace and quiet and do nothing but lay around all day and be in bed by 7pm this is the place for you. I did enjoy myself on the excursions and tours. They were phenominal!.Thank goodness for the weather, I did get my tan on and my friend and I did make our own fun, but expectations were high on going and very low when we got there...They need to spicen up the place...One more thing...the room....very clean but the bathroom needed some work....water pressure was great thank God, but you couldn't turn around in it. Was so small...Hopefully, my next trip to Jamaica will have a better hotel and be a little more livelier!!!Also, they forgot to mention that this is a non-smoking hotel..

Room Tip: Ask for east side rooms....closer to the beach....and be sure to tell them you DO NOT WANT the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Babailey41
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our family of 5 and another family of 4 traveled to Sunset Beach Resort the week of Feb 9-16.
Room
There are two towers, Sunrise A and Sunset B. We stayed in Sunrise A room A706. This is a One bedroom Suite. Very large room and amazing ocean front view from 7th floor. This is a corner room facing north and you can also see towards the west to Secrets Resort. This was a very good room. King size bed was very comfortable. The fold out sofa was almost unacceptable, frame was broken and the mattress was a hundred years old. That being said our two lightest children slept fine on it (45-75 lbs). No adult could have slept on this. We also had a cot, this was very hard, but our 12 yr old slept fine and we could have asked for two more cots to replace the sofa bed.
Food and Beverage
Food quality was very good. Not a lot of variety at the buffet, but everything was predictably good. Never had a problem getting an ocean view table for our group of 9. The Asian and Italian restaurants were excellent and the Caribbean was good but with less choice for the kids. If you enjoy wine you should stop at the Mega Mart on the way to the resort or buy wine from the guest service desk. The house wine is of very poor quality with swampy after taste. The beer selection is Red Stripe on tap only. Sometimes the keg was good and sometimes very bad. Not such a big impact on our vacation but could be if this was a group adult vacation.
Pools and Beaches
Our kids aged 6-12 loved the water park. Be warned the cement and tile decking around the lazy river is extremely slippery when wet. Several people took falls. We were always able to get lounge chairs in an area of our choice. There are several smaller beach areas. Lots of access to sea life. Pack your snorkel and water shoes. There are lots of sea urchins and some jelly fish, be aware. Amazing snorkelling very close to shore and especially near the sea wall breakers. The water temp in both the pools and ocean was excellent. The beach and pools were cleaned daily.
Staff
Most of the staff were friendly, polite and did a great job. Notably our house keeper Cheryl, who took good care of the 7th floor of Sunrise A Tower. Service in the restaurants and bars was usually good. A smoker in our party was approached on several occasions for a spare cigarette by staff at the resort which we found to be somewhat unprofessional and annoying.
Entertainment
We found the entertainment staff to be very good. They were engaging and friendly. The evening shows at the main stage were good, entertaining and what you would expect.
Vow Renewal
While here we renewed our wedding vows. We purchased the I Do Take Two package, we found this to be very good value. Tanesha made the planning of this very easy. The flowers were very nice, cake was delicious, the minister was nice, the beach location was awesome.
Photo Shop
This department definitely needs improvement. The manager Miss Morgan is brutal, she seriously needs customer service training. I realize she is there to enforce the very strict rules of the photo shop and to make money, but she is unreasonable and not at all pleasant to deal with. You are probably best off to just take your own photos. Also found it odd that one of the photographers would ask us to get him drinks from the bar?
Overall
We would not hesitate to return to this resort. Good value for a family vacation. The kids really enjoyed this resort and generally the good outweighs the minor complaints.

Room Tip: There are two towers, Sunrise A and Sunset B. We stayed in Sunrise A room A706. This is a One bedroo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank DarcyandCarollynn
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I'll make this review rather short because we didn’t encounter any complications to describe and second, reviews already posted are quite exhausting. Pleasantly surprised by all Jamaicans we met there. Personally after spending one week there in mid December 2012 I would ignore really bad and really good reviews. Obviously these reviews go for some reasons overboard. We encountered more issues with some quests in whole but especially with quests from Russia than issues with staff. Like taking food to pool area or beach and leaving dirty dishes there. Leaving disgusting mess under tables in buffet. Wasting large quantities of food. Unnecessary noisy conversations in buffet. Moving beach furniture and leaving it in the water. Arrogant to staff, which is very pleasant and doesn’t deserve it. We stayed there for a week and with one excursion to working plantation and second excursion swimming with dolphins we were pretty entertained. Beach is not the greatest but I think it is good for kids. Entertainment is on poor side. Room we got was on second floor in two storey building on north side, wasn’t new but freshly painted and very clean. Hot and cold water always running with good pressure. Food wasn’t exceptional but acceptable. Bars well supplied. There is tip free policy throughout this resort and staff is not permitted to display containers for tipping or expect tipping so we tipped discreetly not to get them in trouble. Transfers from and to airport were trouble free. Good value for price we paid. Three and half star rating is right on. Would go back but too many places to visit elsewhere. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank etmfxp
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We chose this place because we wanted a good value for a quick three night holiday getaway. Did not want to break the bank but wanted something decent.

Pros:
--Got a deal for $500 per person for three nights including plane and hotel all-inclusive.
--Got upgraded to a oceanfront villa room which was amazing, steps away from the beach to the bar. The east was very nice, quiet, close to the beach. I suspect I was upgraded because I flashed a lot of cash but I was only trying to take cash to put into my wallet After paying the taxi, not trying to bribe anybody. Simple probable misunderstanding and worked to my luck!
--All inclusive buffet decent, Breakfast was great with fresh made omelette , lunch was average, didn't try dinner. Jerk chicken at the beachside grill!
--Fine dining (included) at the Chinese & italian restaurant were pretty good. Another night big Beachside BBQ for everybody which was also quite nice with entertainment.
--Blue clean Caribbean water, nice beach, enough beach chairs although did have to be vigilant snagging one relatively early
--Lots of kids activities although we were there as couples
--Drinks readily available at all the bars

Cons:
--Most of the staff is relatively friendly. occasionally a few can be lazy but overwhelmingly positive.
--Our review is positive because we were in a beachfront villa. The rooms in the towers seemed mediocre and I imagine if we were in one of those rooms it would've been a subpar trip.
--Wanted to take an excursion to the luminescence water . Concierge lady just didnt really care for us because it was not one of the more popular trips. She really did not want to make any effort to direct us in the right way. Terrible saleswomen.
-- tipping few bucks here and there Can get you quicker service or to circumvent the rules if necessary..$$. However we really Didn't think it was necessary, Most of the staff is great.
--wifi. Was $30 for the week $15 per day. Luckily we Got free signal from the neighboring hotel in our room!

Room Tip: East 101-108 beachside villas are best!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank redquasar
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hubby and I went to the Sunset for our late honeymoon/vacation. Had an amazing time, We had a rough start to the beginning of our vacation. Our flight was delay for a couple hours when we arrived at the Pearson's airport . I've booked the sunset surprise as it was a great deal at the time with sunwing, I contacted the travel agency a week before departure to find out about which hotel we were going to stay at as we could have either ended up going to Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ochos Rios or Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay and would only find out a week prior to departure.

I was told by the rep that we would be staying in Montego Bay. When we arrived at the Montego Bay's airport we were taken to Sunset Beach. At Sunset Beach we found out from the front desk that we were suppose to go to Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ochos Rios, even though all our document says Montego Bay on it. What a surprised that was! Hubby said " this is why they call it the sunset surprise. 'Surprise you're at the wrong hotel'"

Hubby and I were a bit upset as we were tired and hungry and now we would have to wait for someone to get us and drop us off in Ochos Rios which was an one and a half hour away. Stacey-Ann the front desk customer service rep went out of her way to fixed our situation. She got us a room at Sunset beach and also gave us an upgraded room. Our room was B1010 in the sunset tower, it's an oceanfront room, the view was terrific. Sunwing somehow messed up our booking.

The hotel is a bit dated, but well-kept. No refrigerator in the room however did wish that they had one in our room. We took the taxi to the market and felt totally safe with our driver Gregory. Jaqueline and Byron were our favorite bartenders. Jacqueline was our daytime bartender while Byron was our nights during most of our stay. The food was good, plenty of selection to choose from. Staff were very friendly. The bed was fairly comfortable, however no bed is quite like the one that is your own. Didn't enjoy the a la carte too much as service was a bit slow for my liking.

Overall had an awesome time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!