“SSB: 8th Stay, Better than Ever!!!!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our 8th stay at SSB and it gets better every time! We were there from Jan 23-29, 2013. This time we had our 6 month old son with us and the vacation was greater than we could have ever imagined. First, we were so happy to see all of the staff who have truly become like family. Next, the way they treated our child and made sure that our stay was everything we could want was simply amazing! The beach as always was gorgeous. The food was excellent and all service was top notch! Even the other guests were so friendly and there were always smiling faces and kind words when they saw our son. There are so many staff members we would like to commend and thank, I hope I do not let anyone out! Housekeeping- Andre; Entertainment- Kenijah, Paul, Michael, Nardia, LaToya; Wait Staff- Shanique, Damon, Omar, Kimberley, Maureen, Clinton, and Newton at the grill; Bartenders- Jacqueline, Wendy, Craig, Clifton, Carson; Maintenance- Evereth; Groundskeeper- Desmond, Bertrand; Sports- Tony the Tennis Pro; Guest Services- Karlene and Renae. I truly hope I did not miss anyone! I thank you all again for making our stay so wonderful and making our baby feel so at home. This was definitely Baby Robbie's first of many more trips to SSB!
Robbie, Jessica & Baby Robbie Evancho

4  Thank jumpmanmj
Write a ReviewReviews (6,810)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Check in was lengthy but drinks were served during the process. We had rooms by the water park and they were adjoining there were 4 of us my mom my adult son my husband and I. We all had a great time. The food was some of the best resort food i have ever had. We went to all three restraunts they were all equally good. I loved how close everything was. The staff were amazing so friendly willing to help you out. The entertainment was very good and i enjoyed it very much the steel drum band we saw was so good. This was my familys first vacation all toghether and we had just the best time ever at this resort i cant thank them enough.

Room Tip: i like the rooms in the L shape buildings not to keen on the towers
10  Thank sonyadolanshular
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort and Waterpark for 5 nights. We had a terrific time and hope to be back again some time soon.
Check-in was very quick and our room in Tower A was on the bayside. The view was wonderful and interesting! We saw a couple of cruise ships anchor during our stay.
The room itself was clean, but it could use some updating as the furniture was a bit beat up. But the large flatscreen TV pleased my husband. The shower was nice, but hot water was a bit irregular. It was fine for one person, then came in spurts of hot and cold for the second person.
The lobby is large, clean, and open, which we loved. We also loved the small beach coves, rather than the large, single stretch of beach one usually sees, with bodies packed tightly together. Here, all the little beach coves gave one a sense of some separation and privacy. We also loved the fact that there are several pools in different locations from which to choose on the large and lovely property.
The food was nothing special, it certainly could be improved upon to make a stay even more wonderful, but it was varied enough for the 6 days we spent there. We always found something we liked enough. There are also 3 restaurants which serve dinner, but you have to make reservations. We ate at 2 of them and liked the Chinese place best. The food there was delicious!
While food was plentiful all day long, whether at the buffet or the snack bar, the several bars on the premises also saw to it that you never went thirsty, either.
We felt extremely comfortable and well taken care of at the resort. And being cat owners ourselves, we also enjoyed the stray cats on the property. And we had the impression that quite a number of guests enjoyed them as well as we found them feeding them. There was a mother with a couple of kittens near the farthest pool and we fed them as part of our last ritual before turning in at night. It made us feel at home. We do hope, however, that especially for the cats' sake, but also for the comfort of the guests, the management sees to it that they are spayed and neutered to keep things from getting out of hand.
Entertainment was nice, we especially loved the beach party with the Silver...? steel drum band. They ware amazing.
Yes, we will definitely try to return to beautifully relaxing and wonderfully casual Sunset Beach Resort. And hopefully, by that time, Wi-Fi will be free to guests, at least in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 410Syl
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Many of the bad reviews on this resort are way off the mark. The entertainment was varied and good fun. The food was similar each day but you can ALWAYS find something different to eat at each meal, not to mention the a la carte meals available on site. Service was impeccable, always friendly and smiling. The tours are a tad expensive but are worth every penny in the end, especially the dolphin swim. Tour guides and animators were not only fun but greatly informative about local sites, customs and history. Vendors were a bit pushy on the Dunn River falls tour but if you really want to buy something, they'll drop their prices a lot. The overall vibe is relaxing and fun. Can't say I won't go back.

3  Thank Derek A
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This Is a Excellent resort for familys, friends and big groups who want to have lots of fun, make momories and enjoy Jamaica for what it is!!!
Check in was good, you wait in line with everyone else who also is checking in, the front desk came around with clipboards to start recieveing information for your stay. Which only takes like 5 mintues. HAVE PATIENCE PEOPLE!!!
Then we were serve with some tropical punch, which was very tastey!
I loved stay ing in the The tower Ocean front rooms, every morning waking up to the beautiful site of the ocean with a coffee in my hand was very relaxing. The room was very clean, lots of room, the AC worked good, if there was a problem or something you needed, guiest services was right at your door. Internet worked in our room, and on the balcony, and the lobby. You have to to pay for WIFI. The TV has lots of channels, my 2 girls enjoyed some cartoons at night. Bathrooms were cleaned and well matained. The colours and decor was nice, but really how much time did we spend in our room? and we had our children as well. I don't know why people are being so picky when it comes to colours and decorations? anyways....
The buffett was huge, lots of choices.... the 3 A la carts are good, and its nice to chnage it up from the buffett and enjoy a sit down meal. which was all good... If you are looking for a steak, go to the Italian, its soo good... The also have a grill which is open when the buffett is closed, they served burgers, hotdogs fries, ect..... They have a self serve ice cream machine onsite, pop/water machines all over, they have 4 bars and 1 swim up bar, which was a hit.
The water park is so much fun for everyone, they kids and the adults all enjoyed tubing on the lazy river and going down the waterslides! They do have 2 locations for towels, they have different size towels, so just ask for what size you want. The entertainment was amazing, different everynight, different locations as well. They do have an excellent kids club, and very accomadting to your needs and your childrens needs.. Everyone is friends and so relaxed, we learned alot of this trip!
The Wedding was absoutly amazing! The wedding Planner was so awesome, and easy to talk to. Very little planning and such a great wedding!! These people made my day very memorable,
we had our cermony on the beach, and dinner and entertainment down by the beach. they had a beach BBQ and a steal band playing so we just asked to have out dinner down there! it was so much fun! we didn't have your typlical reception, but you could plan to have a private dinner and dance ect.. Anything you want for your wedding, they will do for you.. They have 4 locations to have your ceromony, The wedding coordinators takes you around once you get there and shows you the resort and your choices!! don't stress, trust me they take care of everything!!!!!!!!!! Just remember to have an open mind, and enjoy your time In Jamaica!

5  Thank MrsandMrYaciuk
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just got back on Jan. 19/13,,simply loved the resort,,staff was very helpful and anything you asked for they were very accomodating,,food was excellent and servers were always there with water, coffee,,etc. Great place for anyone with children. Rooms are clean and freshened up every morning. The thing we liked most about the resort is that everything is close by and easy to find,,we would definitely like to return to this resort someday..thank-you Sunset Beach for an awesome vacation.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with a large balcony facing the Ocean,,view was awesome!!
10  Thank BRIDGET R
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear BRIDGET R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you had an awesome vacation.

Thank you for highlighting the positive aspects of your stay with us. Our team is always engaged in working to improve the overall guest experience to provide a quality 5-star service and it was our pleasure to have you.

Once again, thank you for choosing Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark and we certainly look forward to having you return.

-Natalie Boreland

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife, 11 year old son and I spent Jan 21-31 at this resort. We absolutely loved it and plan to return very soon.

We arrived at about 8:45pm, and were checked in quickly. We received a room on the third floor of tower B, which suited our needs just fine. We were not offered a safe key upon check in, so I returned to the lobby immediately to get one. Just my luck, a very large group was checking in and I had to wait!. I received my key and was on my way, just remember to ask for a safe key when you are checking in.

Our room had a flat screen tv, with many many channels. We were very impressed with the channel selection. One tip for the resort would be to put a card in the room as a channel guide. We had two double beds and a decent sized bathroom. The closet is fairly large, but there are only about 10 hangers or so. Perhaps a few more hangers would be a good idea. The balcony was very large, with two chairs and a small table. Ours faced Montego Bay and the port, so we were able to watch the cruise ships coming into port. We did not find the room noise too bad, but did hear the disco on a few nights. Simone cleaned our room daily, and did an excellent job. It was always spotless, and she was very pleasant to talk to.

We found the found the food very good overall. We ate at all three a la carte restaurants. The Italian had the nicest ambiance and was air conditioned, but we found the portions to be quite small. The service and food was excellent at all three and we enjoyed them all. We did not have any trouble booking them, although I would suggest doing this at the beginning of your stay, as they do get booked up quickly.

We found the food at the buffet to be very good as well. The omelette / egg station in the morning was excellent. Clinton, who worked the grill most of the mornings is an absolute master. He works six pans at the same time, and rarely made any errors! There was always lots of selection for any meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner. They had lots of fresh fruit and veggies, sliced deli meats and cheeses, good deserts, etc. They had a wonderful pasta station in the evenings where they would make pasta to order, with added chicken, sausage, veggies etc. However, the young fellow working this station most evenings we were there was rude and arrogant in my opinion.

We found a wonderful morning waitress named Shelley Scott. The waitresses move around to different areas of the restaurant each day, and we would look for her and sit in her area as we loved her service. She was very attentive, but not overbearing. She always had a beautiful smile, and helped us with anything we need. My wife loves ackee and saltfish and we mentioned this to Shelley. She asked the cook, and told us she would have this prepared specially for us the next morning. Sure enough, three plates of ackee and saltfish, made to order, were brought out the next morning for us promptly when we told her we would arrive for breakfast. It was delicious. Shelley Scott definitely made our whole vacation.

As a side note, I saw a couple eating huge lobster tails one day. I asked the supervisor how they got lobster, and he advised they made arrangements with the cook, gave him the money and he arranged to have it purchased, brought to the resort and cooked for them. So, you can have anything you want, you just have to ask.

Our son absolutely loved the water park. He spent many hours climbing the water slides, and told us he loved them. I asked him if they were rough at the seams, he said they were a little bit rough, but that certainly didn't stop him. He likely went down 50 or more times every day. The lazy river works great, but it does not wind through the entire water park. Rather, it goes in a small loop at the far end of the park. You can stay on a tube and it will move you round and round until you want to stop. You can also float around the whole rest of the water park, which is quite large, but you have to propel yourself. We always found plenty of tubes available, I think there were about 15-20 tubes available at the water park. We always found plenty of chairs available at all times. The only complaint I have, and this would go for all areas of the resort, is a lack of shade. There were only a very few areas where one could sit on a sun chair and get any shade at all, and these were quickly taken. Perhaps a few more umbrellas could be set up for the guests?

My wife used the main pool every day for Zumba, and loved it. She said it was quite a workout. This pool always had something going on, pool volleyball, beer olympics, t shirt tye dying, etc. It could be quite loud here, but lots of fun. There was NEVER pressure from any of the staff for guests to participate in any of the activities. They offered them, and if nobody wished to participate, they simply stated "this is your vacation have a great time" and would simply play music for the time slotted for that particular activity.

There were two other pools located by the lobby, separated by the swim up bar. These pools were quiet and there were plenty of sun beds here as well. We did not stay in this area, so I can't comment on much else here.

The beach was good. It was raked clean by hand every morning. We had a lot of wind while we were there, which churned up the sand on quite a few days. However, I did wade out on a few days, and the water is very clear. There are lots of fish that will swim around you, and lots of fish can be seen from the rocks out in the water. There is a lot of sea grass off the shore, but that is not the fault of the resort. Lots of people were snorkeling every day, and seemed to enjoy themselves. They had two paddle boats and about 4 kayaks that you could take out. My son and I went out in a paddle boat, and had a good time. The water could get quite rough by mid morning, so go early.

They had several bars throughout the property, and the service was very good at all of them. A smile and please and thank you will go a long way. The drinks were good, and they were not shy about the alcohol. If it wasn't quite enough, just ask for more and they were happy to accommodate. They had Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light on tap at all bars. The red wine they served at the resort was actually quite good, and we had some every night with dinner.

The beach grille made excellent jerk chicken and burgers. They also served nacho's and cheese, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches etc. The food was good and it was handy to the water park and the main pool.

There are no patties served by the resort. However, there is a "pattie man" that comes every day from about 10:30 until 5. He sells patties for $2 each, and they are great. He has chicken and beef. He pushes a cart all over the resort, and honks a horn to announce his presence. If you were like us, your mouth would begin to water every time you heard that horn. We bought several patties every day from this fellow. He is there every day except Sunday.

There is a money cambio on site, where you could cash travellers checks if needed. You can also break larger denomination US bills to smaller bills. We used this service every day to get one dollar bills for tipping. Yes, tipping is included, but please tip your bartenders, table servers, maid, omelette guy, etc. These people make very little and work very hard to please you. Remember to be discreet with you tipping, as they are not supposed to accept tips. We found all staff to be pleasant even without tips, but they all seemed thrilled and very appreciative when we did tip them.

We had an excellent time at this resort. The food was very good, the service was very good, the entertainment was very good, the rooms were very good. It may not be five star, but it certainly exceeded any of our expectations. We don't often return to the same resort twice, but we all agreed that we will return to Sunset Beach Resort and Spa. Thank you for an awesome vacation!

Gary

Room Tip: Tower rooms on the West side will be more quiet, and higher up will be more quiet. The view to the...
8  Thank garyb73