“Great place!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here june 2012 and going back again this week . Great people and great service. Taking our kids this time. :) we stayed in a beach front cabana room , open our front door to beach and back door to grounds was beautiful. Buffet was good everyone should be able to find something they like. Steel drum band was a great show. Drinks were fantastic.... The lady at the bar by the stage is a real sweet heart. :) great wifi in lobby for $

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Do your homework. The pictures of this resort are by no means true! The ersort is kind of old and run down. If you have the extra money pay for a nice well kept resort. We went to this resort through Interveal Internationl time share company. We own a 5 star timeeshae in Virginia Beach and this place is at best a 3 star. The Bars don't open until 10:00 a.m. why? the main lobby bar doesn't open until 4:00 p.m. and te bar where the little casino is doesn't open until 8:00 p.m. Be very carful everyone who does anything for you wants a tip even though he resort booklet says don't give tips (try not giving tips). For the most part the employees are nice but they want money. Some of the employees treat you like they are doing you a favor??? Renee at the activities desk very nice, Fabian who does a few different jobs very nice. We went on a tour into town the Hip Strip I was so scared, people are like voltures on you come into my store I will give you a deal, you promise to come into my store (I am sorry do I owe you something) everybody wants money We on a scuba diving tour was wondeful, the guys running the boat were excellent!!!

Room Tip: Please pay attention to this review if you prefer 4 star accomodations as I do. This resort is run...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah C
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I traveled to this resort with over 100 of our family and friends for our wedding on Jan 25 2012. This resort is huge! So there were weddings everyday. Our group had an amazing time!
The one hotel manager (Matthew) was absolutely AMAZING!! A few issues that came up with few people in our group was quickly solved by him, my sister inlaw had her safe broken into, her ipad and blackberry torch were both stolen. Matthew quickly had an investigation done, where the hotel paid for their stolen items. I was stuck in the elevator for over half an hour. He switched our rooms immediately. Sucked that we were in a super awesome suite, and moved to a regular room, but we still loved it.

My wedding was near perfect! I did soooo much reading and preplanning before we left for this trip. My husband and I spoke with the wedding coordinator (Natalie) on the telephone for a good 45 minutes telling her n great detail all the things we were hoping to have for our special day. Not to mention the 100s of emails (that she would take weeks to reply to). Once we arrived, the following morning. My cousin was called by Natalie to ask her to come for a meeting for wedding plans? Seriously? She didnt even know my name? So once my cousin relayed the msg to me, we headed on a long journey to find her office on our own.
We get seated into her office to finalize everything we had already preplanned. Where she asked us "when is your wedding?" OMG! I was soo upset. We had spent hours and hours through email, and phone calls to plan our wedding, and she didnt make one single note. So we had to fill her in on all the plans for our wedding. We had a very large group, we wanted this to be our dream wedding. We splurged on everything, We had a steel drum band playing for all the guest waiting for the wedding, and the party walked down the aisle to the steel drum band. We didnt have our wedding in the traditional gazebo, we got married in the gardens instead. After the ceremony we served champagne to the entire group while there was some mingling. We then used our own photographer for photos. Followed by a traditional reception with dinner. All the guests took their seats. They got to choose a chicken or beef dinner, or pizza for the kids. The hotel provided the dj for us, who played some amazing music to get everyone dancing. I thought...wow...a great day afterall!
I should mention, a few hours before the ceremony, me and my girls were in my room getting ready when Natalie calls to inform me that the DJ cant play until midnight like we agreed (we wanted 1am, but they said no) because of the rooms right near the reception room. She told me, the dj had 2 sets of equipment, so at 11pm, he announced that our dance was over, and the party was to continue in the piano bar room. So all of our guests head that way, to find a black room, no lights, and no music. We waited for over an hour for him to arrive, and he never did. A guest was that was staying in the hotel was there with all his music equipment for a musicfest with Celine Dion, he offered to play. And the party started again (at this point it was late, and over half went to bed, tired of waiting).
All in all our wedding was amazing! I loved every minute of it! I married my best friend in Jamaica, with all my family and closest friends!

Later Matthew asked us about everything with our wedding, we told him everything, he said that he has has a few issues with previous weddings. Im not sure if Natalie is still the wedding coordinator.

If you are planning to get married here, make notes of everything that you plan with the coordinator, and be prepared to plan it all from scratch once you arrive. They will pull it all together for you. This resort has no night life past midnight, so dont expect to party all night on your wedding. or anyother night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sheilam_0022
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my second time staying at this resort and it got better! When we got there they gave us a VIP bracelet just because we had already stayed there in the past. Additionally, we got an oceanview room even though we didn't pay for it which is awesome. They are nice and per usual especially the omelette guy. Everyday he would make a joke and make us laugh so much which is not easy to do everyday! The waterslide is awesome, I'm 25yrs old and honestly might be a little too old for the slides but i didn't care i had a blast sliding down! Just have a relax trip without stressing too much and u'll be fine. One night we missed dinner and the manager actually went into the kitchen to try and get us food. Also, the location is awesome, super cheap to get around so thats a positive if you plan on cabbing and getting into the city. The thought was so sweet. Will definately go back again

1  Thank Cindy L
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I want to start off by saying that I had an amazing time at this resort!!! When we arrived at the resort, there was almost no wait checking in and the staff was so pleasant and welcoming!!

The food was sooooo good!! They have a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner which they change the food everyday to give you a variety. They also have 3 a la carte restaurants: Italian, Chinese and Jamaican and it was great!! On top of all that, they have a grill that is open all day serving hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, jerk chicken etc...The rooms are very clean and all of them have balconies which was great!!

The pools are very nice - we mostly used the main pool which has a swim-up bar. I want to shout out all the bartendar staff who were so nice and made us some really good drinks!! I like this resort because it is not far from the "hip strip" where all the nightlife and shopping is....this hotel also has a disco where there are pool tables and a little dance floor if you don't feel like leaving the facility.

There is so much to discover and experience at this resort, it was definitely worth every penny and I can't wait to go back!!

By the way, we were here when Hurricane Sandy hit and they were very efficient and reassuring that all of the guests would be fine and that they have never had any problems during a storm. They had updates all of the time and even had a big guest meeting to explain everything to us. We were very relieved by this and in the end, the storm was mild so it did not ruin our trip.

Thank you Sunset Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Chantal H
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed at this property 3x and can say that you and your family can have a blast at this hotel! Yes I read so many negative and positive reviews b/4 I went the first time that I was really nervous... To all those reading those negative posts here is some feedback and recommendations....

First I have stayed at many 5 star hotels and have stayed an fancier resorts but those hotels also cost considerably more... When I travel with my family the need for a marble bathroom, jacuzzi tub, sitting area in the room is not required so I don't want to pay for it. When we are traveling as a family I want the water park and the calm ocean. For the same price as a fancier hotel where my husband and I go as 2 people traveling we can afford to take all 4 of us to this resort. Here is what my family loves about this resort.

Awesome water views from all around the resort, adequate rooms, the water park keeps my kids entertained for hours, friendly staff at the bars, snorkeling right out the back of the beach, many different pools to try. My daughter loves going to the Italian restaurant where they treat her like a princess. She sits outside the restaurant overlooking the ocean while the waters bring her kiddie pina colada's (sp?).

This is my kids favourite place to travel. They pick the sunset beach resort and spa over disney and I have to tell you we love the this hotel also and definitely prefer this vacation over a busy busy expensive trip to disney.

The food... I have to say we have always had an enjoyable dining experience at this resort also. With a mix of restaurants and the buffet along with snacks at hours of the day I have nothing to complain about. We can always find heatlhy fresh choices...

My favourite things to do at the hotel... Take my kids snorkeling and introduce them to the wonders of the ocean. I have even seen a sting ray out the back of the hotel. Go down the water slide with them - it is surprisingly fast and fun. After the kids go to bed sit ouside the room and enjoy the amazing views while enjoying a few drinks.

For the price we pay our family of four can enjoy this vacation every year and have a winter escape to a sunny beautiful location!

I hope you enjoy your trip to this resort!

Room Tip: If you can it is worth it for an ocean view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Neptune2525
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Resort is nice but shows its age. Could use some upkeep to the property. There are 3 restaurants plus a snack bar and buffet. The restaurants are Italian, Chinese, and Carribean. The Italian one was a beautiful restauarant but the food was bland not a lot of flavor for Italian. Filthy, rusty salt and pepper shakers on the table lead me to believe there was little attention to detail which worried me.
The Chinese was average, service was poor which was unexpected.
The Carribean was the best of the three with excellent servers. Food was very ornate and you could tell they paid attention to detail. Buffet was good for the most part. I was disapppointed in the fresh fruit, very tastless which was surprising to me. The snack bar offered Cheesburgers (which I don't believe was beef), jerk chicken which was a little spicy but good, and fish sandwiches which consisted of two frozen fish tails on a bun, french fries. No fresh fish at all which was a surprise in an island location.

Rooms were clean, nice flat screen tv's in each room. Maid service was excellent.
Other than the waiter at the Chinese restaurant, all other wait staff were very nice.
My only suggestion is if your going to an all inclusive, pay a little more for better quality.

1  Thank Cincin486
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!