“AMAZING!!!!!”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
“AMAZING!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I just spent our thrid trip to Jamaica with the folks at Sunset Beach Resort and it was like coming home again!! The faclity is wonderful, the food delicious, the staff... LIKE FAMILY!! the more you come the more they love on you!! I loved it... i feel safe there, the staff is funny and entertaining! the private beaches are lush and very well mainicured PLUS it is a great
place for the family! Dont let the other reviews discourage you, this place is the BEST on Mobay!!!

Room Tip: request ocean but really there are NO bad rooms at this resort becuase of thier location...it is pri...
2 Thank Laura H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
  • Polish first
Quantico, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

During our Zumba trip with friends we had a wonderful time at this resort. The weather was awesome, we enjoyed the music and activities and especially the drinks by the swim up bar. By far the best part of the entire trip was the staff. By the end of our stay we had made some great friends who worked there to include; (Entertainment) Latoya, Renee, Michael, Shayne; (Bartenders and Servers) Nickel, Nico, Nicholai, Earnest, Jaquelyn, Newton, Carrell; and (Spa)Tracey, Donna, Dudley, Melissa. Thank you everyone for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tina M
Neptune City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I recently visited the Sunset Beach Resort Spa and Water Park in Montego Bay. The dates were 10/1/12 thru 10/6/12. If you are concerned with the reviews then please read this as it may help you feel more at ease if you have already booked.
I chose this resort because we wanted a place that had a swim up bar, food that was edible and a beach. We also wanted to pay for everything up front so it would be less for us to pay when we got to Jamaica. I had a few girlfriends that stayed at this resort over New Years about 2 years ago. They told me the food was decent so I booked it.

We went during the “Slow” season. You could tell as well. There were still lots of people in the resort but plenty of couples, friends on a vacation and a few families as well. If you want a resort with lots of different types of groups/couples, this is the place.

We arrived at the airport in Jamaica (Montego Bay) and were moved along and we went to the desk where we booked our transportation. It was Jamaica Tours Limited (JTL). Sunset Beach does not have a shuttle for the airport….at least during this time of year. We then went out the door grabbed a drink and after about 10 minutes we were on our way to Sunset Beach. It took about 15 minutes from the airport with a little stop at Secrets which is right next door to Sunset Beach.

We waited about 10 minutes at check in per group/couple/person. Here is the deal with that. It takes a while to check in. I am not sure why. We asked for a lock box right then and there and our towel cards. We got them and were on our way to our room. Jamaicans are relaxed. There was never a big rush to do anything so I suggest to just go with it.

My main concern was definitely the food. I was worried that it would not be good. My husband is a Chef and he likes decent food when we travel. This place had decent food. The breakfast was great and your only option every morning. I had an omelette every morning and the coffee was fantastic. I only saw bacon on one occasion and I snapped it up when I did. They had pancakes, French toast, eggs, sausage and more. I was told they only put out one batch and once it is gone, that’s it! Lunch was good as well. You can go to the buffet or you can go to the grille. The grille does not have a lot of choices. From what I can tell there were about 7 things on the menu total including sides. The Jerk chicken was fantastic and you should try it. We did eat it every single day. The lunch buffet had plenty of choices and you could have a deli meat sandwich. There was no shortage of food. Dinner was our choice of the day. We ate in all 3 restaurants and loved them all. There is plenty on each menu for even the pickiest of eaters. The buffet at dinner was nothing to write home about but again, plenty of choices. Since it was the slow time of year we could eat in the dinner restaurants as often as we liked. We ate in the Asian restaurant 2 times and the other places 1 time each. They were not all open every night so you may want to ask which restaurants are open which nights so you can plan your week out. We were also able to book a day in advance and probably more if we wanted to. I understand that people don’t like to plan on vacation but it was very easy and a very short walk from your tower elevators. All the food was good. All in all I give this place a 7 for food in general. It was clean and there were choices.

The rooms were clean. We had an ocean front room in Tower A. Our room was directly above the Main Stage. It did not bother us as it was done by 11PM every night but I would suggest getting a different room in Tower B if you are a light sleeper and go to bed early. Our fire alarm went off a few times. Once was because I was taking a shower with the bathroom door open. There is no ventilation system in the rooms so if the moist hot shower air gets a hold of the fire alarm it will go off. Thank goodness this did not happen in the middle of the night. We had a nice bed and a large TV and a great balcony. It was just fine for us.
Excursions – We did not take advantage of the excursion desks at this resort. We did go on a little shopping trip to Rose Hall and then to a couple of craft sights. This was not a high light. In Jamaica and I would think all of the Caribbean, you are hassled while you shop. I like to shop but prefer not to be bothered which does not happen here. If you like to be followed around and asked to purchase stuff and not told prices and like to haggle then Jamaica shopping is your place. If you do not, then stick to the people who come into the resort every day. It is the same stuff and the same price and less people to fight off. Just so you are aware, most excursions will involve some sort of craft market which is where you will be followed and asked to purchase things.

The beaches and pools – We sat on the beach every day and sun bathed. It was fantastic. There are rocks on part of the beach but flip flops can take care of. I had water shoes but did not use them. If you walked further down the beach there were no rocks. There is also a bar on the beach that opened around 10AM but frozen drinks were not ready until about 10:30AM. There were ants on the beach and they could really get a bite out of you. I just moved my chair into the water and no more ants. We did not do any of the water sports but plenty of people did. Also the water park was nice. It has 2 big slides….not that big but fun and a lazy river. I brought a tube but I did not need it. We loved the swim up bar and spent the afternoons there. We also had no problems with the towel card exchange program. It was easy to just go up and take a towel or return a towel and get a card. There are no people roaming the beaches other than resort people. We also did not make it over to the nude beach but it is there.

People – The bartenders, waiters, really anyone we came in contact with was fantastic. We never had a problem getting a drink or someone answering a question. Everyone was kind at the resort. We were here for a vacation and that is all. It was perfect for us. We met nice people from all of the world as well.

Entertainment - There were shows every night and people went and had fun. We were tired so we would really just go to sleep after our 8PM reservation. We would get up early and head to the beach and breakfast every day. We chose Jamaica because we did not want to go anywhere or do anything and that is exactly what happened. We had a great time and I would return to this resort and Jamaica again.

If you plan to go, bring your own large cup. I kept water in it all the time. It was convenient since there is no refridgerators or any way of keeping things cold in the room. There is a gift shop on premises that has everything you need if you forgot it at home and suntan lotion which you will need. It also has snacks and sodas if you are interested in having something in your room to snack on. We did not purchase anything but people did.

All in all, this resort is a 3 star resort. It could definitely use an update and paint job but it was pretty and fit our needs perfectly. If it does get updated then you will most likely pay more. So I think for the price it fit our bill and I would visit again if I return to Montego Bay. Also the owner of the resort is very visible on the premises if you ask what he looks like. We saw him everyday.

23 Thank coulass
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Excellent place to stay. Bit of a drive into town (15 min) and hip strip but lots to do on the resort.
Entertainment was fabulous. Food was excellent , great choices of local and international foods.
Beach was great and very accessable, many pools to choose from. You wont be able to keep your kids from the waterpark...Cant say enough...will definately be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 1Empress
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been to Jamaica many times before I had children and the last time with my gradeschool kids. I was a little concerned about Jamaica as a destination because it had always been an "Adult" trip to Negril in the past. My wife and I love Jamaican, the caribbean and the Jamaican people so we wanted to take our kids their for their spring break and introduce them to some culture. This place looked nice on the internet and had some good reviews from other familys to we gave it a try. First of all, you have to have the proper level of expectation. I dont think many understand Jamaica or may think they are going to some super-club where they are quarantined off from the world. Despite reviews I have read from people with complaints, this is a nice clean place. This is NOT a Beaches or Sandals super club but a nice sized, well run and clean place with good service and good food. It is not a five star zaggat rated food emporium but certainly not bad and not just industrial food. We are from Chicago (yes, the city, not the burbs) so we know the difference between run-of-the-mill tourist junk and high end. This food fits nicely in the middle. The room was also quite nice. We had a one bedroom suite and it was very comrotable and clean. The bed was comfortable. There is plenty to do for the kids here with the water-park, kids club, no-charge kayaks, scheduled activities like water volley ball and others directed by the staff. Also a basketball court we used daily among other sporting activities. The water-sports guys played soccer on the beach with my boys several times. The night time entertainment was quite good local bands. If you are concerned about the fact their is a clothing otional beach, dont be. Its is way down to one end away from the main beach and behind a huge wall with plenty of warning signs. The staff are wonderful people. I see many complain about Jamaican service and I would say "dont come to Jamaica." They have a very kind, wonderful helpful culture. They are not going to run until they sweat for you but that is not different about ANY place I have been in the carribean. Even the mega super clubs. I will take friendly calm and a little slow (island time) over uncaring no personality shlubs anyday. Food and Bar is all-you-can consume etc. We will go back.

Room Tip: Get the suite. I dont know what the the non-suites are like but I do know this room was very nice w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Patrick M
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent one night in Montego Bay Sunset Beach Resort. Contrary to our stay in the same branch resort in Ocho Rios this resort was very clean, good service & didn't have the negatives that we felt in Montego Bay. Though our stay was only one night we had such a good service in this place that we even thought we might come back to this place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor & had gorgeous view of the whole Montego Bay from our balcony.
2 Thank Rama1004
Peace River, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

A decent resort with good rooms. My greeting was less than friendly at the check in counter, but, the next time I talked to her, her mood had noticeably improved. Their are three beaches to choose from, with one being clothing optional. Buffet food was good and the ala carte restaurants were very impressive, both food and service. Expensive to get to the tourist shopping area (Hip Strip). It was fun being hustled every foot of the way, never had so many offers of pot since the sixties.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,182 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!