“Day pass to Sunset Beach Resort”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed May 10, 2012

While ported in Montego Bay with Carnival Cruise, we booked Sunset Beach Resort day pass through Jaital. We had a very good experience and the kids loved the water park! We spent a little while on the beach, where we found a star fish, which was amazing for my 5 & 6 year olds! We then headed inside and had a wonderful buffet lunch, including delicious jerk chicken! YUM! We then made our way to the water park and swam and had a blast. I was a bit nervous from some of the reviews I read before going, but both myself and my (picky) husband were impressed. Last year we stayed at Breezes in the Bahamas and I would say this topped that resort. My husband, who is much pickier on hotel accomadations was impressed and even said to me that we needed to keep this resort in mind. Jamaica was beautiful and I have to tell everyone, it is so much more in person than in photos, they don't do it justice! See for yourself!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank gksra42105
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Considering that I got this resort for an excellent price it was more than worth it! That being said, it does have some things that could be improved on. Like others said, it does need a bit of a facelift. The food was decent, but not great by any means (except for the Jerk chicken at the grill, which is served from 12-4) The Jerk chicken is spicy at the grill, but when they have it at the buffet it is sweet and pretty gross in my opinion. Most of the food at the buffet is supremely Americanized and I would prefer if they had traditional Jamaican dishes. However, it is a family resort and they probably do that to appease the children. Speaking of children, this is one of the reasons I would consider booking an adults only resort next time. Many of the patrons just let their children run wild without supervision. I understand you are on vacation, but hey, so am I and I don't appreciate children peering at my from behind my chair (and I meant from DIRECTLY behind my chair) and then come around to the front and shrieking in my face. Another incident, we were playing mini putt and some parents just sat there and watched their son (who was old enough to know better) come over and start trying to pick up and take our golf balls without saying a word....like seriously? Control your kids and at least say something. Not the resort's fault, but people are so inconsiderate and obviously crappy parents who cannot teach their kids discipline. Many parents were obviously very great, but a few bad apples spoil the bunch. If you are going there for a family vacation it would be nice, but I went as a couple. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a couples-only resort, but if you can, I would definitely recommend splurging for this feature. However, I would rather stay here than not have gone at all :)

Another reason that I would consider not returning is the beach. Because the beaches are man made, the ocean is not able to properly filter the water and it causes the beaches to be EXTREMELY seaweed-y. However, it does make for some great snorkeling. There is a reef that is teeming with sea-life if you swim out just past the rocks. Bring your own snorkeling equipment, though. It is much better since you won't have to rent it from the resort (if you rent from resort you are required to go with a tour and can't explore on your own). The seaweed factor really only bothered me because I have a crazy fear of the water and things touching my feet, so if it doesn't bother you to step on unknown seaweed/objects on the ocean floor you will be fine. There are also a lot of sea urchins. I didn't step on any, but read that many people did. Also, I can't stand how people just put their towels out under the umbrellas to save them super early in the morning and come back hours later to use them... I know it's common practice, but it is such a pet peeve of mine.. lol... There is an adults-only topless beach (but you don't HAVE to be topless, it is just optional), which is somewhat hidden and private with a guard sitting at the entrance that has lots of areas with trees which provide for shade and also allowed for sunny areas, perfect for a couple where one prefers shade while the other prefers to lay in the sun. :) There is also a completely nude beach if you walk further down, which has a solid privacy gate. You are required to be nude on this beach if you wish to go on it and they do not allow cameras on the beach.

They do have kayaks and a paddle boat that you can take out. I would recommend if you are looking for a taxi to go outside the resort. They totally rip you off in there. I would also recommend to go downtown and negotiate prices for different excursions. You can get them for WAAY cheaper if you do this.

Service was great, even if you don't tip, but it is better if you do tip :) The staff work really hard and obviously deserve it. Most of them were extremely nice and obviously loved their jobs. There are some that seem like they kinda hate their jobs, but you always have to think that they might just be having a bad day and are having a hard time hiding it (everyone has had one of those so I don't think it is fair to judge if someone is not "extra nice") As long as they are not rude, I am good with that and nobody was even close to being rude.

We had rooms on the third floor just above the area where they had entertainment. It was loud, but several times I went to bed and slept right through it. The rooms were clean, air conditioner created a nice hum that drowned out all the noise. We paid for just a standard room, but from the side of our balcony we got a nice ocean view. It was beautiful.

Also: you must see the sunset! It is phenomenal here. Now I know how the resort got its' name :)

I really wanted to get a Spa treatment, but they were even more expensive than what you would pay in Canada, so I wasn't able to :( I was totally sad about that and wish they would reduce the prices. They are excessive and I saw spa staff coming around trying to get clients. They would get more and end up making more money and tips if they reduced the prices!

All in all, it was a fun time. Not sure why some people gave it such terrible reviews because even despite the few issues I had, I had a great time. It is what you make it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Shiny9
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at the sunset in december, we stayed in a family room in the twin towers. The room was large enough for two adults and two children, we didnt spend to much time in the room. The staff in the resturant was excellent very friendly and always willing to help. The entertainment crew were brilliant they made me laugh I wish i could remember all there names, but my husband and I did make a point of mentioning the staff to managment to say what a good job there doing (hope they get a pay increase they deserve it they work so hard and long hours) The beach was lovely very relaxing, the lounger could do with repairing and washed down more regular.
The food was delishers put on a few pounds. Would go back tomorrow if I could

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Wellington777
Reviewed May 6, 2012

There are a few "must knows" about myself, my wife, and my review; first and foremost, this was our first experience out of the country. Second, we are both very involved in the service industry. Last, we do not have unfair or unreasonable expectations, simply a need to have a wonderful time when we are on vacation.

First impressions -

Throughout the booking process, the staff at Sunset Beach were very accommodating. Any errors or shortcomings were on behalf of the travel agency we booked through. The check in process was very expeditious. We were greeted with a smile and adult beverage upon arrival. There were computers issues during our check in so we were directed to grab a snack at the grill or to make reservations at the restaurants on the property. The computer issues were resolved quickly and my wife and I were able to check into our room.

At first glance our room was great. Nice appointments, updated fixtures and (as promised) a private balcony. Allow me to make a clarification for anyone considering this resort as a vacation destination; YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Sunset beach is VERY upfront about pricing as it pertains to view of the resort/ocean. We were in a king room in the "A" tower with a view of the garden and main beach ocean. It was stunning.

Restaurants -

Banana Walk - Think buffet style eatery. To be honest, this could be an area for improvement. I understand how difficult it must be to feed a small army three times daily, but "repurposing" food at any point seems a bit off. This mostly appeared at breakfast with bacon/egg/pancake casseroles but it was disappointing to say the least. My wife and I found a number of things we really enjoyed. Tuesday's are BBQ night and Thursday's are Jamaican night which were quite good. Try and sit in Nicholas's section. He was by far the friendliest server we had at the main dining facility. On any other night we would recommend making reservations at the resort's restaurants. 3/5

La Bella Via - Not your everyday Italian eatery. Entrees include lamb, beef, chicken with all of the accouterment. Try the caprese salad, the margherita pizza and the lamb dish. Pass on the "pasta e fagoli" soup, the Chicken Alfredo and the "Quattro Fromaggio" pizza. These offerings were not as great as we had hoped. The servers are happy to help you make menu selections but the photographer is an unnecessary distraction from enjoying an evening meal, he was quite nice but interrupted nearly every dinner reservation. 3/5

Byrons - Great restaurant. Caribbean style food is at its very best in the Caribbean. The soups were both great and entrees were quite satisfying. The slaw salad was not our favorite but I'm sure to the right person it would be very good. 4.5/5

Silk Road - Wonderful! The sushi was different than any sushi I have ever had. It was not my wife's favorite but it was only a small part of the meal. The service was outstanding. Try the hot and sour soup (seafood), chicken and sweet corn soup, Mongolian beef, orange chicken and both desserts! This was the best culinary experience we had on the resort. 5/5

The entertainment (and entertainment crew) -

We honeymooned from 4/28 - 5/5 and it rained the first three days of our stay for a significant time everyday. The entertainment crew was quick to have games and music under cover for adults and kids alike. We were in attendance for; Zuma Zuma drinking game, beer drinking games, Silver Birds Steel Pan band, Jah Messenger, a Mixology class/game, beach volleyball, adult couples games, Bon fires, crab races, and a craft bazaar on site for guests to make purchases.

Michael, Kenlijah, Nadia and Samantha were AWESOME! I would feel comfortable saying that the enertainment at Sunset Beach is one of it's STRONGEST AREAS.

Bars/Bartenders

The pool (swim up) bar is awesome!!! You may meet a bartender named Garcia here. He makes wonderful drinks and is very friendly. If he tells you his name is Peter or Michael he is only kidding. If you find Ryan, ask for a shark bite. Alva is another memorable bartender. He is knowledgable and really friendly. Nico is one of the nicest at the ocean bar.

Things to consider -

Waterpark is in the name. If you would prefer no children at you resort than this is not the place for you(the slides are quite fun for adults too). You will need extra money for excursions. We loved the glass bottom boat ride (ask for Tío) and the Rose Hall night tour (our guide Tamara was AWESOME). Don't be afraid to let the resort book transportation for you. The charter taxis and busses are really nice. The spa and Internet are not a part of the all inclusive price. Our couples massages were USD $165 for and hour. I would encourage you to be more vocal than my wife or myself if the therapist's pressure it too much for you. The Internet is $5/hour $15/day $30/week and you MUST BE IN THE LOBBY TO CONNECT. Remember that you are on an island and that weather will affect the wireless signal adversely. We paid for a week and had usable signal for 5 days total.

In closing -

This was a great stay for my wife and myself. In and through our stay at Sunset Beach we fell in love with Jamaica. Sure the water in the shower wasn't as hot as it is at home and the food wasn't always the best food ever, but we didn't and I wouldn't let that keep you from making this your vacation home. The beaches are nice with ample seating and the water is clear. On our next vacation to Jamaica we plan to explore the adults only resorts. We would certainly vacation here again if the adults only options are less appealing. We appreciate the staff of this resort and hope that if you choose Sunset Beach your experience is just as wonderful as ours.

Shaun (12 12) and Vickie J.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Shaun J
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at Sunset B Tower between April 22 - 29 2012. Our family had two rooms on the same floor. This was our first time in Jamaica and I wasn't sure to expect. We did have an excellent stay though in this resort. I would definitely return to Jamaica and recommend this resort, especially the ocean-front rooms which are worth it.

Rooms - oceanfront - were very clean, spacious and had been remodelled. The daily housekeeping was really good. We talked with the housekeeper Janice a lot and she was so nice.

Food - buffet food was fine for us, daily variety was good. I was surprised when we overheard some in the casino complaining they were only eating pasta. We enjoyed the roast lamb, roast turkey, and various jamaica dishes. We relished all the fruits especially the little bananas, papayas and mangoes! Shout-out to Clinton the omelette guy who was awesome working on 5 omelettes at once!

Asian and Italian restaurants - food was very good, we enjoyed everything including dessert

Waiters: Omar was especially friendly and nice, same with Damian. They contributed greatly to our pleasant stay. Kudos also to: Travis, Oshane, Sadeeke, Zaheir, Elizabeth and others who were smiling and friendly to us.

Casino: my family enjoyed playing the slot machines. One of us won $200 one night, $50 another.

Spa: two family members went twice to the spa and enjoyed that

Jamaica Tours desk: Patrina was so sweet and helpful.

Open Lobby: so many times we sat in the lobby, enjoying the breeezes and sipping bar drinks!
It was so pleasant and a great memory of Sunset Beach

Piano Man: two evenings we sat in the lobby and enjoyed the great music of the talented pianist. Once we were served tea and sandwiches as we listened. Again, great memories!

Overall: we had an uneventful and wonderful stay at Sunset Beach. Actually we kind of fell in love with the Jamaican people we met there and outside the resort. I love their friendly and upbeat attitude. I would definitely like to return to Jamaica and Sunset Beach and will recommend it to people I know!

Room Tip: Pick the ocean-front tower room. We were on the top floor (10th) of Sunset B Tower and it was quiet...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank MSol98
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I travelled with 27 people to this hotel for a family wedding. Check-in was great and we were given a lovely room with a garden view. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and we had a change of towels every day. Double rooms had 2 double beds and adequate storage space. There are 3 speciality restaurants in the hotel which we used on a few occasions - 1 chinese, 1 caribbean and 1 Italian. Food was good in all three and you have to book 2 days in advance for reservations. The food in the buffet restaurant was good also - something for everyone.My only complaint was that there were always queues at the carvery every night and at the hot food counters at breakfast every morning. There is also a grill which is open at lunchtimes and also late at night - food there was great. The pools were all clean and safe and the 5 children aged between 9yrs and 3yrs enjoyed the childrens pool and waterslides although the two eldest ones .loved the main pool as that is where the entertainment is based. The sunbeds however all need replaced as most of them were broken and they do need more sunshades. You have to be down by 7am - leave it any later to put your towels out and you'll find there are no empty sunbeds. The entertainment at night was poor and far too repetitive and there was very little in the vicinity around the hotel so if you were bored, you had to take a taxi into Montego Bay. Taxi fares are not cheap here!!!! Any trips we booked were through the main desk in the hotel and not through Thomson Holidays as they sub contract their tours now and there were a lot of complaints while I was there. I loved the pirate night - definately well worth the money and the food and entertainment was fab. .With new sunbeds, a revamp of the buffet restaurant and better entertainment every night, this hotel could be brilliant.

Room Tip: I was in room E121 which was lovely and quiet. Didn't fancy the tower blocks but that is just my...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My wife and I just spent 5 days here and we were both relieved to get home. Out side of the resort Montego Bay did not seem to have any decent offerings, if you calculate the $20 charge to shop in town. Within the resort, We were disappointed to realize that a 2 hour rain cancelled most of the scheduled activities (An evening bonfire should not be cancelled due to a shower at 2pm). If sailing is in your plans, forget it. They have an excuse to keep the boat on land EVERY day. As far as the "Au Naturale beach", it is there. It is too rocky to get in the water and every time time that we ventured to that end of the resort there were children and their parents looking for shells there. I don't know about you, but my wife and I are not into exercising our rights to this property when kids are present. Overall, it was a very noisy resort with a bunch of 8 year olds sitting on bar stools ordering "strawberry daquaris" at the same bar as the adults enjoying the "all-inclusive rum" that they paid for. I think that Sunset Beach needs to reevaluate who do they want to cater to. A more specialized marketing approach might serve them well.. We were disappointed thinking that it would meet our adult needs, but if I would have taken a family with children, I would have been apaullled to expose my kids to this environment..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!