“Excellent Family Vacation”

Ranked #18 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Excellent Family Vacation”
Reviewed July 26, 2003

Our family group of 8 stayed at Sunset Beach from July 17 thru 24. We
had a better than expected time at the beautiful resort. My husband and
I, three kids ages 16, 20 and 23 and my sister and her two kids, ages
17 and 19. We had 3 nice first floor ocean front rooms in the newly
remodeled West Inn adjacent to each other. It was just a hop over the
balcony to the beach or to each others rooms. I would definitely
suggest the Inn rooms over the towers. They beach is larger in front
oof the Inns and the rooms are much closer to the beach. YOu have to
use an elevator in the towers which I don't like and the Inns had
central air since they are newly remodeled which worked great. We kept
ours on low most of the time and it cooled the room with no problem.
The Towers still have the older in the wall air conditioners. The food
in the buffet was fair to good. Breakfast was best but the specialty
restaurants were very good. I think we liked the Italian over the
oriental but both were good. We managed to book 4 nights out of 7 in
these restaurants. If they're not swamped, just go back the next day
and reserve 2 more nights ( the resort promises you only 1 night in
each restaurant) but no one questioned us about the extra nights. The
beach is a bit rocky and I did wear my water shoes alot but I was the
only one who did in our party. A Walmart bargain for $5.oo and they
were really comfortable. We did notice that the beach was less rocky in
front of the towers but it was also much smaller with less chairs there
too. Oh and some of us did try the nude beach several times and it was
beautiful and relaxing and very private with very few people on it. We
only went on 1 excursion. The Montrose II Booze Cruise. It's an older
ship but they gave all of us nice partial body massages and the crew
was really nice. It was $8.00 cheaper for this boat than the other
party boat which was also much more crowded. We liked the MOntrose.
Also, Margheritaville during the day is great and the Booze cruises
will take you there for free. At night, forget it. We went over on the
free night Monday, for Sunset Beach guests and came back an hour later
on the next shuttle home. It was the worst club I was ever in and the
kids who are at that age were the first ones to suggest leaving asap.
Going there during the day is great because they have the water slide
and water trampolines and its really enjoyable. The entertainment was
usually very good, except for the karioke night. The Elvis impersonator
was good and the house band ELement, is very good too. They really have
great entertainment and we enjoyed most of it. Our favorite employee
HUBERT seemed to be doing everything all the time from acting as
resident DJ to distributing towels at the towel hut to organizing
volley ball. We also enjoyed the bartenders, especially GARCIA, GEORGE,
and JACKIE. Tipping is appreciated by the staff and many of them
deserve it. They are still working on the garden view rooms of the west
inn which is what we booked but were upgraded to the beach front for no
extra charge. We were very happy with this arrangement. The open air
lobby is lovely and very relaxing. They have all this nice lounge type
furniture and its a huge area with a great breeze most of the time. Our
kids met other kids from Germany and England as well as New jersey and
several from our own neighborhood in the Philadelphia area. GO to this
resort. If you're looking for a relaxing fun time and not expecting a
luxurious vacation. This is the place. Its very reasonably priced and
we had a blast. Also, my husband and I have stayed previously at
Sandals Negril and Sandals Royal Caribbean (our favorite) and the now
closed Enchanted Garden. Although there resorts were more upscale, we
still really liked Sunset Beach. Would we go there again? IN A
HEARTBEAT!! ANy questions, please email me. We choose this resort based
on the internet reviews we read and I'm certainly glad we did.
I forgot to mention in my previous review about the spa that almost all
of us tried. Go for the Massages and facials but skip the manicure and
pedicure. They don't have nail dryers there and the polish just wont
dry because of the humidity. You can get a much better mani/pedi at
home at your local salon but the massages are to die for. I wanted to
get a body wrap but I didn't get a chance too but as I said go for the
body treatments rather than the simple stuff you can get at you local
salon at home. Two of my daughters got their hair braided in the salon
and they did a great job. It was more than the locals would charge but
we didn't want to waste time going into town to get it done. Also, DONT
use the phone in the room. You will incur charges even if you dont
connect to your party and even if you use a phone card. Use the
payphones at at the resort. THeres one by the towel hut and you can buy
phone cards that do work (MCI cards dont) in the gift shop at a
reasonable price.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 24, 2003

We stayed from Jan 2-9, 2003 (Honeymoon). The Waldorf Astoria this is not, but if you're looking for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation you've come to the right spot. The room was clean and tidy, and that was all my wife and I were looking for as we didn't go to Jamaica to spend time in the room. The property is settled on a private penninsula which offered a wonderful view and great privacy. Many of the resorts in MoBay proper are stacked right on top of eachother.The drinks were good, even if they didn't use name brand liqour. The food was also good. I've noticed several complaints from other reviewers. If you're looking for standard, American, meat-and-potatos fare your choices will be a little limited. However, there was always an assortment of local dishes available and Jamaica's history as an English colony also came out in the food. For me, part of the fun in vacation is taking in local culture. Botticeli was our favorite of the two resturaunts, and thought the food was not phenominal at the Chinese eatery, both offered wonderful service.We had the oppurtunity to me the reviewer who psted: Sunset Beach Resort & Spa: "First Time In Jamaica!!!" Reviewer: A TripAdvisor User, Baltimore,Maryland, January 8, 2003 - and we agree, the guests were easy to make friends with and the staff was curteous.There were activities:games, swimming, paddle boats, ect.. (the disco was disapointing mostly early teenagers) available for those who wanted, but the best part for us was simply being able to sit and relax. Plenty of beach and patio space. No need to worry about what time it is. If you're hungery, get something to eat. Thirsty? No shortage of beverages. Tired? Take a nap in one of the lobby's loungers, giant couches, or just nap on the beach.I don't think any trip is without some problems, but ours were few and far between. If fancy is what you crave, Sunset Beach Resort and Spa may not be your first choice. But if you simply want to relax and enjoy yourself it is worth your time.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2003

I spent 5 days 4 nights at The resort and was very pleased with the service, food, and our room. I went with my brother and we had a ball.
The activities board by the banna walk resturant was very helpful in planning our day. I was quite annoyed with the constant begging but if you felt that you did not want to come out of your pocket give a firm but polite no. Remember you are the one in charge. The tours were great I loved Dunns River Falls. Overall I have no complaints. We were asked for a deposit for the room which we declined. We came with our own beach towels and a universal remote for the T.V. We did not lock our thing in the safe and nothing was taken from us. We stayed in the Inns and the rooms were band new. I will go back again!!!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2003

I went from 7th to 21st July 2003 with my boyfriend and his 8 year old son. We had a fantastic time. The weather, beaches, pools, drinks, food (especially,) room and facilities (from tennis to shuffleboard) were all absolutely spot-on, and the kids club was excellent. We read all the reviews on the site here before we went, and were slightly concerned by the reports of unfriendly staff etc. However, once we got there we realised why that was. About 85% of the residents at the hotel were from the US and without really wishing to stereotype, I have to admit that most of them were blunt, impolite to downright rude, and treated the staff like servants. I didn't hear a "please" or a "thank you" from anyone, and if any of them had spoken to me like that I would have poked them in the eye. If you treat people the way you would like to be treated, you soon see their friendly and helpful sides. For people about to go, you're going to have a great time! We all wish we were still there! Some tips - book the two restaurants at the "guest services" desk when you arrive, they get full. You can go to each one once per week. At the Banana Walk, the morning porridge is delicious, and so is the fish and pumpkin soup - don't be scared of it. The Italian Restaurant is outstanding and the margaritas at the lobby bar are very strong! Try the pina colada slush with coconut rum, and for kids, the Moo Goo at the beach bar is delicious. I would certainly go back there, but I have some other places in the world to see before that. However, for my first Caribbean holiday (and my boyfriend's second!) we thought it was unbeatable.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2003

This was a first for me. It was going to be a long awaited, well deserved vacation. Our nerves were on edge at first when heading to our bus to go to the resort, a truck takes our bags. They did however arrive safely. After a 3 hour wait, we find that our Garden View Room was a Construction View Room. Not happy, my roommate calls down to be told that they will try to move us the next day or as soon as someone checked out. Not totally satisfied, we go to hang in the lobby where I spoke with one of the ladies who happened to be a supervisor and she had us moved immediatly. Better view, however, no air. Back on the phone to my dear friend, who had someone to our room to correct our problem and what a comfort it was to come in from the heat to a nicely cooled room. Everyone whom we came in contact there, were very cordial.
We said we would return, only if we could again stay in the Garden Inn.
We took a tour of the towers and did not like it. The room we saw was great. View and all, but the elevators were small and at the time we went one was not working. Could not imagine spending my vacation waiting for an elevator. With the exception of the extra money needed to use a TV remote in your room, get a towel for the pool and securely lock your belongings in a room safe, the overall atmosphere of the place was nice. Mostly because of the people we met from there and abroad. All in all, it turned out to be quite nice.

Reviewed July 19, 2003

july5-12 Went on honeymoon and had a great time the staff was great, didnt have to pay for all that stuff the last guy said(safe key,tv remote)??? you could take a walk outside of the place and not be harrassed by alot of people because its not right in town, you do have like 5 people standing outside to sell you pot, but just say yes or no and they will leave you alone food was good, stuffed my face so i was glad the elevator out so i could walk it off tours were a little expensive but not the hotels fault, everyone wants a tip, just give 2$ every time big deal 20$ it came to that i spent on tips again great place will go back big thanks to mr malcolm

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2003

Just got back from Sunset. It was a girls only trip from 7/11-7/15. For the money we spent we all feel we got our worth. Pros: we stayed in the east wing, it could be walk depending on how much we drank, but very nice and quiet. The beaches were beautiful, quiet, relaxing and pleasant. The food was a bit above average and plentiful. Loved the Italian restaurant. Disco was small but did what it had to do. Cant say enough about the courtesous staff. Very pleasant and helpful. Bottom line, everything you were looking to do......Rest and relax was there.
There was construction going on but even that was done nicely and was no bother) Cons: bring plenty of singles for tipping. Everyone except the staff had their hand out from the drivers to the airport staff.
However, please tip the staff discreetly because their service deserves it. (Kudo's to Jacqueline, Karl, Nick and Garcia at the bar and Tahire in the Italian restaurant) The room smelled a bit musty but served it's purpose (a place to store your stuff, sleep and shower). A word of advice, if you don't want to be harassed for your money, stay at the resort and wait for the vendors. you'll get the same thing for just about the same money. leave the shopping trip alone. Bottom line..............I say go, don't look for the Ritz and you'll be happy.

• Stayed July 2003
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,225 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!