Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$244
$217
HolidayInn.com
  • Breakfast included
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$488
$390
Bookit.com
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$525
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$327
$256
  • Pool
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$517
$458
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$519
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Round Hill Hotel & Villas(Hopewell)(Great Value!)
$306
$269
  • Pool
Half Moon(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$499
$434
Orbitz.com
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$1,584
Hotels.com
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
$1,637
Hotelpower.com
6,984 results
All reviewssunset beachwater parklazy riverthe grilljerk chickenitalian restaurantpirate shipgrilled cheesewater shoesswim up barkids clubsea urchinsfood was greatfamily resortfrench frieshot dogsstar resort
North West England
Reviewed July 24, 2003

I went from 7th to 21st July 2003 with my boyfriend and his 8 year old son. We had a fantastic time. The weather, beaches, pools, drinks, food (especially,) room and facilities (from tennis to shuffleboard) were all absolutely spot-on, and the kids club was excellent. We read all the reviews on the site here before we went, and were slightly concerned by the reports of unfriendly staff etc. However, once we got there we realised why that was. About 85% of the residents at the hotel were from the US and without really wishing to stereotype, I have to admit that most of them were blunt, impolite to downright rude, and treated the staff like servants. I didn't hear a "please" or a "thank you" from anyone, and if any of them had spoken to me like that I would have poked them in the eye. If you treat people the way you would like to be treated, you soon see their friendly and helpful sides. For people about to go, you're going to have a great time! We all wish we were still there! Some tips - book the two restaurants at the "guest services" desk when you arrive, they get full. You can go to each one once per week. At the Banana Walk, the morning porridge is delicious, and so is the fish and pumpkin soup - don't be scared of it. The Italian Restaurant is outstanding and the margaritas at the lobby bar are very strong! Try the pina colada slush with coconut rum, and for kids, the Moo Goo at the beach bar is delicious. I would certainly go back there, but I have some other places in the world to see before that. However, for my first Caribbean holiday (and my boyfriend's second!) we thought it was unbeatable.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, MD
Reviewed July 22, 2003

This was a first for me. It was going to be a long awaited, well deserved vacation. Our nerves were on edge at first when heading to our bus to go to the resort, a truck takes our bags. They did however arrive safely. After a 3 hour wait, we find that our Garden View Room was a Construction View Room. Not happy, my roommate calls down to be told that they will try to move us the next day or as soon as someone checked out. Not totally satisfied, we go to hang in the lobby where I spoke with one of the ladies who happened to be a supervisor and she had us moved immediatly. Better view, however, no air. Back on the phone to my dear friend, who had someone to our room to correct our problem and what a comfort it was to come in from the heat to a nicely cooled room. Everyone whom we came in contact there, were very cordial.
We said we would return, only if we could again stay in the Garden Inn.
We took a tour of the towers and did not like it. The room we saw was great. View and all, but the elevators were small and at the time we went one was not working. Could not imagine spending my vacation waiting for an elevator. With the exception of the extra money needed to use a TV remote in your room, get a towel for the pool and securely lock your belongings in a room safe, the overall atmosphere of the place was nice. Mostly because of the people we met from there and abroad. All in all, it turned out to be quite nice.

rhode island
Reviewed July 19, 2003

july5-12 Went on honeymoon and had a great time the staff was great, didnt have to pay for all that stuff the last guy said(safe key,tv remote)??? you could take a walk outside of the place and not be harrassed by alot of people because its not right in town, you do have like 5 people standing outside to sell you pot, but just say yes or no and they will leave you alone food was good, stuffed my face so i was glad the elevator out so i could walk it off tours were a little expensive but not the hotels fault, everyone wants a tip, just give 2$ every time big deal 20$ it came to that i spent on tips again great place will go back big thanks to mr malcolm

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2003

Just got back from Sunset. It was a girls only trip from 7/11-7/15. For the money we spent we all feel we got our worth. Pros: we stayed in the east wing, it could be walk depending on how much we drank, but very nice and quiet. The beaches were beautiful, quiet, relaxing and pleasant. The food was a bit above average and plentiful. Loved the Italian restaurant. Disco was small but did what it had to do. Cant say enough about the courtesous staff. Very pleasant and helpful. Bottom line, everything you were looking to do......Rest and relax was there.
There was construction going on but even that was done nicely and was no bother) Cons: bring plenty of singles for tipping. Everyone except the staff had their hand out from the drivers to the airport staff.
However, please tip the staff discreetly because their service deserves it. (Kudo's to Jacqueline, Karl, Nick and Garcia at the bar and Tahire in the Italian restaurant) The room smelled a bit musty but served it's purpose (a place to store your stuff, sleep and shower). A word of advice, if you don't want to be harassed for your money, stay at the resort and wait for the vendors. you'll get the same thing for just about the same money. leave the shopping trip alone. Bottom line..............I say go, don't look for the Ritz and you'll be happy.

• Stayed: July 2003
4  Thank Melissa C
LA
Reviewed July 14, 2003

First, let me say that I read the reviews before I went to Sunset Beach. They were most helpful. The resort was okay. I would go there again. The people were very friendly and helpful. Ray, at the guest services desk was extremely helpful and knowledgeable of tours and other attactions available to the guests.

I stayed in one of the towers with an oceanfront view. The view was great. The room (tower) was older and you can tell it had been spruced up some. Although, it was clean and neat. They are building new rooms on the property. The inns (I'm told) were newer and nicer than the two towers.

I am accustomed to relaxing in hotel lobbies when I lodge. This hotel's lobby is in open-air. There were times when it was quite warm out there. In the evening, it was more comfortable because of the constant breeze.

The food was fine. I particularly liked the outdoor grill that served jerk chicken, hotdogs, burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, and fries.
The Banana Walk restaurant offered several new dishes each day.
Breakfast was always good. I did not visit the specialty restaurants (The Silk Road [Chinese]and Bottocelli [Italian]). Guys have to wear long pants in these two restaurants and I wore shorts the whole time......and enjoyed wearing them. So, I really didn't mind not eating in the specialty restaurants. There was always something to eat from the outdoors grill or the Banana Walk---which always had buffet meals---never crowded and plenty of room for everyone. The were always drinks of virtually any kind available throughout the day. At no additional costs, of course. Take some bottled water for drinking.

The nightly entertainment was usually good and fun. I felt secure due to the fact that the property is gated and only invited guests can come onto the property. I didn't mind having to pay a deposit for the room safe (optional), remote control, and beach towel. It's best to use a credit card for that. The hotel's "no tipping" policy is great.

I do think the tours offered are overpriced. However, guests should request a list of the tours and prices before arriving so they can be prepared for these beforehand.

If I go back, I would consider staying at the Sunset Beach Resort.
However, I would also consider staying closer to downtown because I like to go walking and sightseeing in stores near hotels. Sunset Beach is too far to walk to the downtown action. Good luck and read other reviews before making your decision.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member