“Half Moon - like no other....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Spring Lake, NJ
“Half Moon - like no other....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Me, my wife and our 6 month old son just got back from five fantastic days at Half Moon.

Pro's: weather, beautiful views, great food, service with a smile, nice beachs, calm atmosphere, privacy, rooms with kitchen, room service of same restaurant quality meals delivered to the room within 30mins - complete with table linens - for only $5 extra, golf cart/bicycles for getting around the resort, nanny service for our son so good that we had total confidence he was well cared for (the first time we had our son stay with anyone for more than a couple hours - thank you Christina!),

I have been to jamaica a dozen times....half moon 3x, and discovering new things on it's 400 acres each time, get the good life package, pricey but totally worth it... If you are the type who won't over analyze every little detail of your
experience and will appreciate the warmth of the jamaican people and it's rich culture then you will come back to the island again and again...and no doubt love Half Moon as much as we do.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I just returned from a great week at the Half Moon. I have never written a review before but reading some of the bad reviews before my trip was upsetting and frankly misguided. I travel to the Caribbean several times each Winter and only stay at the best...so let me set the record straight.

Price- Half Moon ain't cheap but if you get a package with a meal plan and you like to eat and drink, it is well worth it. The room I had (oceanfront) in Hibiscus was great and had a huge balcony, very clean very nice. Not one of the cottages or villas with private pool but still grea! If you compare the cost to St Barts (Eden Roc) it will cost you more and will not include the food or spa that I got on my package (Good Life Package). I think the value was good but if your looking for a cheap vacation this is not your place

Beach- very big and long but only the area by the main pool was perfect for swimming...the rest had sand and but the water was better for snorkeling or visiting with the resident Dolphins. I found the beach wonderful and especially liked the drink service that came every 30 minutes, despite what you read on trip advisor.

Spa- Fantastic---especially loved the Yoga and Guided Meditation and the 80 minute deep tissue massage. Next time I will get a Spa package and go everyday

Pools-Loved the swim up bar but the best pool for me was the Giant Lap Pool. Bring your goggles and work of the extra pounds you will gain from all the great food.

Food- I am in the food business- sell Prime Meat/Seafood for a living. I live in NY (we got the best) but other than a St. Barts (those French people really know how to eat), this was the best food I ever had in the Caribbean.

Nitelife- None to speak of...if you are looking for evening activities...this is not the best choice for you. We did enjoy the Friday nite BBQ with entertainment. Fire eaters and the snake man will blow your mind.

Service- Everyone and I mean everyone was so so so nice and went the extra yard. Based upon some the other negative reviews I read, Half Moon caters to a people with such high standards, I am sure nothing would make them happy. I suggest you focus on the Guided Meditation and stop your whining and remember you are on vacaction. Half Moon is a great choice but if you leave home intent on finding things to complain about you can always find the.

Thansk to the entire Half Moon team...you are a class act team and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mikerNewYork
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

The Half Moon is a haven but I highly recommend a room with an oceanfront view - the one bedroom suites are spacious and luxurious, the weather and beaches are breath-taking, and the food was outstanding. We plan to make this an annual visit, largely because of Paula Lily, who was one of the Managers who clearly stood out above everyone else. She provides the kind of attentive service one would expect from a 5-star hotel. There seems to be quite a diverse selection of rooms available , so,treat yourself to the oceanfront rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

I tend to prefer smaller hotels and resorts, and even though Half Moon is over 400 acres you still feel like it's a small resort. I was fortunate enough to stay in one of their cottages about a two minute walk from the lobby. It was gorgeous, with a beautiful updated bathroom with jacuzzi tub and huge separate shower. All of Half Moon's accommodations are on the beach and my cottage had its own pool just in from the beach. The staff is incredbily friendly and attentive. The food was just okay, would recommend getting off site for some of your meals. The spa is amazing, it's only 3 years old a definite must do during your visit. The resort is only about 10 minutes from the Montego Bay airport but you still feel like you're a world away from civilization. I felt very safe the entire time I was at the resort, it's a gate community and the beach is private so no worries there. I can't wait to go back! If you're looking to party while in Jamaica this is NOT the resort for you, it's a very classy, quiet, refined resort experience, no night life to speak of except for lobby bar which is situated right on the beach. Resort has a very British feel to it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

Prior to our vacation at Half-Moon Montego Bay, I read a ton of reviews on Trip Advisor. While I’ve never traveled to a resort that had 100% glowing reviews, I tend to give each place the benefit of the doubt and gravitate towards the positive while keeping the negative in the back of my mind. After all, its vacation in Jamaica…how bad can it be?

As an overall summary, I can see why Half Moon Montego Bay WAS a 5 star resort back in the day. It’s far from 5 stars right now. It has some big positives, but the negatives far outweigh most of what gives Half Moon its charm. This resort does have potential, but I would NOT recommend it to anyone looking to stay in a Villa. I have heard that the rooms and suites are an entirely different experience.

There seemed to be a big mix of good and bad that I read online, but because we had heard so many positive things about the hotel from people that had been there before, we decided to go. We have two boys (4 & 18 months) and were traveling with two other families with children the exact same age. What made Half Moon even more attractive to us was the fact that all three families could stay in a Villa together with no other guests…very cool and very fun.

We arrived at Montego Bay Airport and after getting our luggage were directed to the Half Moon welcome center and given some drinks…very nice touch. I had read on another Trip Advisor review that you should have this reception desk phone the hotel ahead of your arrival so they’re ready to welcome you. While I was hopeful they’d do this on their own, I still reminded them when we checked in with their desk…you can never be too sure, right? They then arranged transportation in air-conditioned vans to the resort. Half Moon is probably a 10-15 minute drive from the airport…very easy with small children. So far, so great...and when you pull up to the resort lobby, it’s beautiful. Right out of the car, its big smiles and welcome drinks…and then….

We checked in at the front desk and were told that our Villa was not ready. We checked in at around 3pm and were told it wouldn’t be long, “half hour at the most”. We started walking around and checking out the lobby area, beach and restaurants. After a half-hour, we were told it would be ready soon, “10 – 15 minutes at the most”. While I was smart enough to bring shorts in my carry-on for the whole family, the hotel had our bags…not a lot of fun with the little ones running around the lobby. After an hour I asked to speak with the manager. I explained that we had little children and were waiting over an hour for our room. At the very least, he should have bought us lunch or appetizers to hold the kids over…he sent a waiter over with more welcome drinks…nothing for the kids. After an hour and a half of waiting, we were finally told our room was ready. What amazed me the most was that I was told they were at 40% capacity…40% and it took you that long to get a few rooms ready???

If you’re staying in a Villa, you almost certainly have to travel everywhere via Golf Cart. Each Villa gets two golf carts. We pulled up to Villa 93 (See Picture) and it was beautiful at first site. We had our very own pool and were greeted by our very own Butler, Cook and Housekeeper….now that’s what I’m talking about!! After a rocky start, we were impressed and ready to get vacation started. We walked into the Villa and decided on rooms…none of the rooms are connected, which could be good or bad depending on if you have kids. There was a full kitchen where the cook would make anything you wanted (more on that later) and the housekeeper did laundry daily!!

We were content until we started unpacking. The rooms were big, the décor was expected in the islands (old furniture), but the bathrooms were well below average. There were definitely issues with the plumbing when toilets didn’t work, there was no cold water in the shower (scalding hot water) and the sink turned the shower on! In addition to the plumbing issues, the bathrooms were far from luxurious. Every room had old television sets (no flat screens) and although I wasn’t planning on watching TV in Jamaica, we were traveling with small children and none of the TVs worked!! It was a good thing I brought a portable DVD player and plugs. They have a wireless internet router in the villa, but connectivity was VERY spotty. Suffice it to say, we had repairmen in and out of the house the entire week we were there!

I am by no means a snob, but for the amount of money you shell out for a Villa, you expect perfection. Pictures on the web site are accurate, but a fresh coat of paint can’t hide all the issues once you’re there. We called and spoke to management about all the issues and they did offer us several other Villas…upon inspection, they were no better. We were promised that all issues would be resolved but I felt that wasn’t good enough. They offered to buy us dinner one evening…not at a restaurant – at our villa…lame.

Here is a list of the Good, the Bad and the ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

THE GOOD:
• Quiet – the resort is very large and very quiet.
• Smiles – EVERY staff member waives, says hello and smiles…your arm will be tired from waiving so much.
• Golf Carts – Awesome and fun…kids loved them.
• Camp – The 4 year olds loved camp and the counselors were really good with them. Any parent knows that kids can make or break a vacation depending on if they’re having fun. They have a very shallow pool, great playground and tons of indoor activities if it gets too sunny or hot.
• Babysitters – We hired a babysitter daily for the little ones. $8 an hour and worth every penny…ask for Charlene – she was fantastic with our little one who has big separation anxiety.
• Sugar Mill Restaurant – Great ambiance, decent food, very romantic…see picture.
• Housekeeper – she does your laundry daily – totally awesome!! Nothing to be done when you get home!!
• Ocean – they put a line of rocks about 30 yards out from shore that break the waves so the beach is super calm…great for kids or for pulling a beach chair right into the water.
• Tennis Courts – Grass, Clay and Sand…awesome. There are TONS of courts.
• The Spa –EASILY the nicest part of the whole resort. This is what you expect for the price you pay. REALLY wish the rest of the resort lived up to the spa.

THE BAD:
• Villa 93 – I would tell you to stay away from it, but I’m guessing everything has been fixed since our departure…you’re welcome!
• Mosquitoes – EVERYWHERE. BRING BUG SPRAY.
• Beach – lots of seaweed and sea grapes and it takes them till at least the afternoon to clean SOME of it up. The sand is also very coarse and rocky in areas.
• Bats – Yes – you read that right…bats are everywhere at night. They swoop down and drank from our pool each night…very creepy. They pooped on one of us during dinner one night.
• Jamaica – I tried being romantic and leaving the resort one night for dinner – hoped to walk around Montego Bay and do a little shopping…had a FANTASTIC meal at Marguerites, but I would have felt safer walking on the streets of Newark NJ. The restaurant will send an air conditioned van to pick you up and bring you back to the resort so you don’t have to pay $50 for a cab.
• Pools – Freezing and not heated. The pool to our Villa didn’t get much direct sunlight, so the water was ice cold. It was an incredible shame to have your own pool in 80 degree weather and not be able to use it. We hunted down the Jacuzzi which was broken for the first few days and that was nice, but the trees around it were overgrown…c’mon!

THE ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
• Our Butler Prince – Prince was his name and it was very clear he had absolutely no idea what he was doing. When we first met Prince, and I’m not making this up, he said “I only have one rule”…we all yelled “HAVE FUN!!”…he said “NO – there’s no complaining!!”…ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? We all looked at each other with amazement. When we moved into the Villa we asked if they had child safety gates for the stairs. He said “No” instantly, so we were left using a mattress and putting it in front of the stairs to stop the babies from going up and down. When the manager stopped by to address the issues we had with the Villa he asked why the mattress was blocking the steps and explained that they absolutely DID have safety gate available…they were installed with the hour…ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Although he was supposed to be our ambassador of fun, he was constantly late, hardly seen and from what we’re told, didn’t do what a butler was supposed to do. Since we had never been to the resort before, we needed to know how things worked…we got more information out of the camp counselors than our Butler, Cook and Housekeeper combined!! Additionally, on several occasions one of our Golf Carts were missing…we would catch him riding around giving young female employees rides around the resort….ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? We paid for this guy and we’re also supposed to tip him??
• Our Cook Karen – Karen can cook anything and make it delicious. She works hard and takes pride in her job. She lived in the house with us and although she makes a mean meal, it comes with a mean attitude. All three families are VERY polite and VERY grateful for a job well done and although we always thanked her for a job well done; it seemed as if every meal, snack or conversation was a bother to her. She would have made the “GOOD” list until the last day we were there. She confronted one of the mothers that was traveling with us and said “You need to know that your kid doesn’t like black people”….WHAT?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! Even if that’s true – which we know with all certainty it’s not – why would you EVER say that to someone about a 4 year old little girl??? Maybe she just didn’t like Karen!!
• Commissary – I didn’t read anything about the commissary anywhere on Trip Advisor and was shocked when I got there. It turns out that your Cook will make anything you want, BUT EVERYTHING, including the food itself and all spices need to be purchased from the commissary. You have to physically go to one of these Bodega looking markets and register your credit card. For the remainder of your stay, the cook or butler will get whatever you need, but it comes from the commissary. They bring you “receipts” that have random things like “supplies” written on them for you to sign off on…you have no idea what they bought! I have problems with this for many reasons. 1) Why is there an extra step involved outside of checking into the hotel? 2) Why isn’t everything automated so I can see what was purchased on my credit card? 3) What do the cook and butler do with all the leftover food and spices that we purchased? I feel like you get taken for a ride with the commissary, so I say ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
• Calling the hotel – I still can’t get over this one. The hotel has a toll-free 1-800 number for reservations, but if you need ANYTHING else, you need to speak with the front desk. They’ll give you the number but 9 times out of 10 will refuse to connect you. One family called up to get an itemized bill for their stay – were transferred to the front desk – and later got a phone bill of $43 for the long distance call….ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????
• Service in Jamaica – I’m not sure if it’s the laid back vibe of the Jamaican culture or if a lot of the folks we came in contact with were unappreciative of our business or just plain lazy. For example, on our second day, we left a bunch of wet towels on a bench in a highly trafficked area of the resort because we saw no bin to put them in…5 days later those same towels were still there. It seemed that every time we made a request – even the smallest thing – it was if we were asking for the world. They’re incredibly quick to smile and waive hello, but don’t ask for anything. Inconveniencing some folks by asking them to do their job left me speechless at times and I can honestly say that NOT ONE individual went above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay extraordinary. Expecting tips for such lackluster service made me say constantly – ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? At the end of the trip we DID leave small tips for all three of our Villa staff, but that was after MUCH debate…we still argue and most agree we shouldn’t have left them a dime…with the exception of our housekeeper.

Traveling with best friends is always fun. We made the best of our trip and had a ton of fun. That said, it could have been much better. I would absolutely have reservations about staying in a Villa at Half Moon Montego Bay. While I understand the rooms and suites are a different experience, how different can it really be? To say that I was unimpressed is an enormous understatement. We will NOT be going back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
24 Thank Just2Relax
HalfMoonARockResort, General Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for your posting about your experience at Half Moon. Objective guest feedback is a vital part of our process to achieve our mission, which is exceeding our guests' expectations. Your comments provide us with a useful tool for us to review our operation and make necessary improvements to the experience that we provide.

Be assured that we have reviewed your comments in detail with our team and have already begun to address many of the concerns highlighted including retraining team players in service delivery. Our standard procedure requires that our senior villa managers visit villa guests regularly throughout their stay to ensure that concerns are addressed speedily. While our team visited the villa and responded to your concerns, our response was not to your satisfaction and for that we sincerely apologise.

Again, thank you for your detailed review. It has been very instructive for us in reviewing our procedures, product and processes to ensure that we deliver on our promise of providing an experience of a lifetime for future guests. We hope you will allow us an opportunity to welcome you and your family again for a future stay when we will most assuredly exceed your expectations.

Yours truly,

Aram Zerunian
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I had booked this hotel as it was a close distance to the conference I was attending last week. Was pleasantly surprised that it was a Rock Resort as I've stayed at many of their other properties in the Colorado area.

Upon arrival I was impressed with the size of the resort, and everything was extremely spread out. Not a great choice if you like being in the centre of things.

I stayed in the Oleander Royal suites suites, on the ground floor with a great walk out patio. I've travelled extensively in the Caribbean, and while it is not one of the top hotels I have stayed it, it definitely has the framework to be that one day.

The bathrooms were large, however before the end of the day I had a major ant infestation in all of my belongings that were in this area. Everything from my toiletry case, to my suitcase (closet and dressing area were also located in the bathroom). This took two calls to the front desk/housekeeping to get someone to come look at. Not sure what they sprayed (don't want to know either), but the problem was greatly reduced by the time I left.

The safe in my room also did not work, and again took a phone call or two to get someone to come by my room to get it fixed.

The internet is only by cable plug in, so either beside the TV or beside the bed. It took 4 phone calls to the front desk to get a cable brought to my room, and another day to get someone to come look as to why I could not connect. Turns out the cable that was original sent up to me was broken. Really hope this is something Rock Resorts looks at while they do upgrades to this hotel. There are some suites within the property that do have wireless, so we do know it is available at some points of the resort. If you are travelling on business as I was, it is advised that you inquire to see which type of connection you have.

Beach Service: the section of beach in-front of my room did not have a beach attendant available for taking meal and drink orders that you get accustomed to in other 5 star resorts in the Caribbean. But it may have been available as we did see one staff member take drink orders from a couple sitting close to us, but when I tried getting her attention she smiled and kept walking. The only positive beach experience we had was Paul, who cleaned and raked the beach area. By the third day he had our favourite chairs reserved for us with towels on them. In the afternoon he would appear with fresh water coconuts as an afternoon treat. He really provided great service and I hope the hotel recognizes that.

Dining Staff: Good service for the most part, nothing over the top but acceptable. I ate breakfast (buffet or a la carte) at the hotel and had one meal in the Italian outlet. On my last evening we headed up to the Golf Course operated by the hotel. This is where I thought we had outstanding service and the food was the best I had eaten during my stay in Jamaica. Would be nice to see that level back down at the main section of the hotel.

Bell Staff: by the end of the trip, the bellmen knew our rooms and were quite chatty and entertaining. They would whisk us away from the lobby back to our room as I was having some mobility problems near the end of my stay.

Front Desk Staff: If I were Rock Resorts, they need to clean house in this area, starting with the Front Office Manager. This women was the single most rudest person I have ever met in this type of position. Absolutely no customer service skills and actually walked away in mid conversation as we were trying to explain our displeasure with some of the problems we had during our stay. I would be happy to share the name of the individual if someone from the Rock Resorts management is reading this. I work in the industry and this person should not be in management, as the attitude and quality of their work is obviously passed down to the rest of her team. It left a very sour taste in my mouth for my Jamaican experience.

There was a mixup of the transfer service offered by the Conference I was attending and the hotel. I was to be provided a complimentary transfer, and presented the hotel with the vouchers upon check in at the area in Montego the Bay Airport. I reviewed with the staff there that I was provided complimentary transfers and showed my voucher. The staff then told me to sit down and they would gather than transfer company for me. Upon check out there was a charge on my bill. Again I showed my vouchers and apparently it was not for the company that the hotel used. However this is the first I had heard of this, and the staff told me this was my problem. The hotel/transfer companies solution was to cancel my transfer to the airport, and to take a cab or wait for the other company that was contracted on the vouchers (no mention of the name of the company we were supposed to use was on the voucher). Leaving me no choice unless I wanted to miss my flight, I had to use the company that had run this scam. No way should the hotel have accepted or led me to believe that my vouchers were valid.

Right now, save your money go to a different property, and I sincerely hope that Rock Resorts brings this property up to par with the rest that they carry. In the meantime this hotel is overpriced but does have potential to be a Gem. Just not right now.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Kitsgirl26
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

This is a place where you can totally relax and recharge whilst at the same time you can do as much or as little exercise as you want. It was a quiet period and most days there were no more than 10 of us on the main area of the beach. Overall it is an amazing hotel and will provide a great holiday as with most places if you think hard enough you can find fault.

We stayed in a Royal Suite which was of traditional decor rather than modern but very clean, spacious and a view to take your breath away. We had 2 TV's, Kitchen area and very large bathroom which was modern.

The food is good, the staff are helpful, friendly and polite particularly the bar and restaurant staff. They also have a fantastic Front of House Manager (Miss Lilly) and she totally gets customer service, I had one complaint whilst I was there and once Miss Lilly was aware of it she dealt with it.

The main pool was unfortunately too cold to use, it is well hiden amongst some beautiful palm trees which are no doubt welcomed in the warmest months but in January it was not ideal and meant that it was hardly used by any guests. This pool would benefit from being heated.

My negative about this resort is the price it is outrageously expensive and they charge for everything, you can do inclusive packages however the room only rate is so high that I do believe this is something that they need to re-evaluate, also the packages have to be equal for each guest in the room which can be difficult as in our family my Daughter and I did not require a package yet my Son and Husband would have benefitted from the golf package but we could not do it just for 2 guests... I believe the marketing strategy is weak as given the economic climate at the moment they have not really tailored the price/package hence it was very quiet to the point that there were not enough guests to warrant a lunch time buffet during our 2nd week and the beach snack bar/ice creams parlour was closed.

The Spa is amazing but again highly priced with no offers or incentives to encourage you to have further treatments. Also you have to pay 30% on top of the list price which is 10% tax and 20% gratuity so realistically a 50 minute massage will cost you 200 US Dollars.

I am aware this hotel has a new management team from Jan 2011 and I have a feeling prices and packages will become more attractive and the tricks the hotel is missing will soon be picked up.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family