“An experience by it self”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“An experience by it self”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

From the moment you enter the gates, you know your not staying at your typical hotel. The villas are like having your own piece of heaven cut out for you personally. From the A-Class butler and maid service tending to your every needs, to food that is a Half Moon experience on its own, even down to simply having your own personal means of transportation around the property (Golf Kart). This truly was an experience worth having and cant wait to do it again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was certainly a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests. We are happy your stay exceeded your expectation and you enjoyed the Royal Villa experience. The Villas certainly offer that captivating aura that keeps our guests (friends, family or groups) returning year after year.

Thank you for recognizing your villa team; the staff members truly are the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our clients and make their visit an experience of a lifetime.

We thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor, it was a privilege serving you; we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back to your “home away from home”.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had a awesome time at the Halfmoon. Along with 50 other woman, we stayed at 4 of the wonderful villas. Each of the villas had a maid, a cook, a butler and 2 golf carts. My particular villa waitstaff was amazing. Beverly is the best cook in the world. Pamela made sure that our rooms and clothes were kept nice and neat at all times. Ferdinand was there for all of our other needs. The resort was absolutely gorgeous and everybody was extremely friendly. The visit to the Spa was very relaxing. This is definitely a place to visit again and again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarmenLynn
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for selecting Half Moon, A RockResort for your recent vacation and for celebrating your very special occasion. Happy Belated Birthday and best wishes for many more.

We are happy your expectations were exceeded. Our many guests continue to enjoy the ambiance of the luxurious private home setting that the Royal Villas offer. The villas are truly a perfect selection for families and friends who seek the privacy, seclusion and comfort of a home away from home experience. We are thrilled the group fully enjoyed the villa offerings and the hospitality from the team: Pamela, Beverly and Ferdinand.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon, we are pleased you had a wonderful stay; we look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 1, 2014

First time visiting Jamaica we took our friends advice to stay at the legendary hotel Half Moon in Montego Bay. Overall OK - Fantastic landscape and plantation - colonial architecture - very clean Hybiscus Junior Suite - very friendly personnel. However the hotel needs some renovation (lobby and furniture). The famous restaurant the Sugarcane Mill is highly over priced for the quality it offers. I recommend instead the Italian restaurant Il Giardino. The lobby bar needs renovation and the dolphins pool is small and smelly.

Room Tip: Get a sea view bungalow
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary-Liarou-Barbaris
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing candid feedback regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort visit. We sincerely apologise for the areas that we did not exceed your expectations. Half Moon continues to enjoy a large share of the market while maintaining its legendary status. We truly regret that you did not fully enjoy aspects of the resort and its offerings.

Half Moon is celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year, we do our best to create a balance between our guests who love the old world charm and those who like the modern contemporary feel therefore, we offer our clients an old charm mixed with modern style; creating still a luxurious product,. We happy you enjoyed your overall experience.

We have noted your comment regarding the Dolphins lagoon, not quite sure of your encounter but the Dolphins (four) are kept in a natural (sea) lagoon and has space to accommodate an additional seventeen dolphins. Notwithstanding we apologise for any inconvenience experienced.

Again, thank you for sharing your review, we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Tuscaloosa
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed here two weeks ago for a friend's destination wedding. Absolutely gorgeous. The staff is very friendly. I don't know if they are genuinely happy, but I do appreciate their effort of always keeping it ON for the sake of their visitors. It must get hard to have the same conversations over and over again...This is a very classy and elegant resort. The dining is very good - especially the Sugar Mill. We were on an all-inclusive plan so it was wonderful meeting up with other guests from the wedding to "eat out" at one of the resorts many restaurants. We stopped in at the Rio Resort during a city tour and I was glad we were at the Half Moon. Other resorts in the area have a MTV Spring Break vibe, while this resort has an older, more refined demographic. Each room is well appointed and unique - definitely not the standard boxy hotel room vibe. My friend and I don't drink, so we definitely appreciated the family friendly atmosphere and all the incredible virgin beverages. This resort is on the pricier side of the spectrum, but it's worth the extra money - especially if you are there for a destination wedding. Some minor suggestions: have a clothes rack in the rooms. It would have been nice to hang up all of our damp swimwear inside the room. Also, the guest rooms should have more bottles of water available. On hot days we were going through several per person and it got to be inconvenient to walk over to the bar anytime we wanted more. I did drink the tap water though with no issues. Also, I would make it clear before guests even arrive what exactly is included in an all-inclusive rate. Really it's only your meals and bed - other activities have a fee except for kayaking and the paddle boats. Finally, it would have been nice to have a shuttle into the city. Cabs were very, very expensive like 60 USD! Overall, it was a dream staying at the Half Moon and we very much enjoyed the wedding and the vacation we made out of it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tierra7
Dear Valued Guests.

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We are delighted you have enjoyed your friend’s wedding and found it absolutely gorgeous; Half Moon has hosted many unforgettable wedding celebrations, as was your friend's. We look forward to hosting the newly weds on their first Anniversary and beyond.

Thank you for your candid suggestions, which will be shared with the team. objective feedback from our guests is an integral part of our strategy to continuously improve our guest experience.

Again, thank you for sharing review on your experience, The Half Moon family certainly looks forward to welcoming you back,

Washington DC, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed at Half Moon in early June 2014, to celebrate our son's graduation. The resort was probably one of the finest we have stayed at, from the moment we arrived. We had decided to upgrade our rooms on the way down there, and the staff was very accommodating. We were engaged in different activities each day we were there and there is so much to do. They have exceptional golf and tennis facilities. We also had fun swimming with the dolphins and going snorkeling. The only down side was that the food is pricey-I would probably sign up for the meal plan the next time...and there will be a next time!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you sharing feedback on your Recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience.

Half Moon, a 400 acres of landscaped natural beauty, offers a diversity of activities and amenities, some of which you have enjoyed during your visit. Our award-winning, Par 72 Golf Course, our 13 lit Tennis Courts, the Dolphin Lagoon, Water Sports are just a few of the activities that keep our guests returning year after year.

Thank you for selecting Half Moon and for your beautiful review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed June 23, 2014

we had great service - room and wonderful treatment from the staff! This was our 2nd time and looking forward to returning in May 2015 with the rest of the family! great with kids too
the resort was clean and everyone was very friendly!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

The lovely comments shared on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It is a pleasure receiving positive feedback on not only the resort and its offerings, but our devoted team. Our ultimate goal is always to create an Experience of a Lifetime for you our valued guests.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and yet again, you thoroughly enjoyed your Half Moon experience. Our commitment is always to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” next year with your family and to create another experience of a lifetime.

Best regards,

sydney
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at Half Moon, in December of 2013, and went back in June of 2014 to celebrate my 60th birthday. The staff again were amazing as was the resort itself,but this time I had a problem and it was not resolved . I had an issue with my key card to access my room. From day 1 I explained that something was wrong. I was told it demagnetized. I have lung and heart issues so for me it was more then an inconvenience to keep having to go up and down to the front desk. The day before I left because of that and an inability to address the fact that my WIFI was not working, I did get upset. Wifi to me is something I use to keep in touch with friends and family, and not being well made it even more important. The day before I left, they came down to address the WIFI and the lock. I don't know what happened to the wifi but the lock, well it turns out the batteries were almost dead and the issue finally addressed. I felt the resort was less then understanding in dealing with these issues which they called an inconvenience and made me feel like I was looking for a free ride. On the last day when I went up to front desk in the early am to get things taken care of and check out, when I did I went back to my room to collect my belongings as there was another party checking in. I knew I had to go back to my room to get my medication and puffer. When I got to my room I was locked out again, I could not breathe, tried to get back to the front desk and had a breathing problem along with a panic attack as I could not access my medication. Half Moon, I was so disappointed, and the fact that they called it an inconvenience... Was something I would have never expected from such a resort. So for me , it was not the staff, but the manager who really made me feel not so good. After several emails, back and forth, I did accept the room managers apology, but I still don't think it was sincere and I do feel people should be aware.

Stayed June 2014
7 Thank honeste58
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the effort to share review on your last visit with us.

We sincerely regret the problematic encounters you had while gaining access to your room compounded with the inaccessibility of your Wi-Fi connection. We agree that these are issues you should not have to deal with while on vacation and truly aplogise for the anxiety caused.

I am cognizant that our Rooms Division Manager met with you and both concerns were addressed. Again, please accept our heartfelt apology for the areas of your stay that did not lived up to the true Half Moon standard during this visit.

We trust that the challenges encountered, will not mitigate the overall enjoyment of your Half Moon vacation.

We thank you for again choosing Half Moon…we look forward to welcoming you back. Please feel free to contact me when planning your next visit to Jamaica and Half Moon. scrichton@halfmoon.com