“Fabulous Honeymoon at Half Moon!”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Wow, where do I begin? We had the BEST time, it was everything we wanted! A trip of a lifetime. We went from Sept 1 – 11, 2008.

First lets talk expectations. We were going on our honeymoon, and wanted all inclusive luxury. We wanted to eat and drink till our hearts content, and sit on the beach or by the pool and relax. We were going for 11 days, so we were fine with doing some activities, but the main activity we wanted was relaxation after the stress of our wedding.

We found out about Half Moon through friends who hooked us up with our travel agent. The fabulous thing about Jamaica from Baltimore is that its only a 3.5 hour flight! We splurged and upgraded to first class ( I think it was $150 extra per person which really wasn’t bad). We flew Jamaica air and they serve a meal! Not only to first class, but everyone! Ok you’re probably thinking I’m crazy for being so excited about airplane food, but you know how domestic flights are these days. You’re lucky to even get a tiny bag of peanuts! So we land at Montego Bay, and Half Moon had a little kiosk in the airport (all the resorts there do). We were immediately taken to the resort in an air conditioned van (by ourselves). The resort is only 10 minutes away from the airport! Another plus.

The accommodations. The lobby is an open air lobby, and it was stately and kind of like old british colony style. The resort isn’t a highrise or normal hotel building. Its made of all these little buildings, or cottages. There is a variety to choose from, based on how much you want to spend. We stayed in the hibiscus suites which I believe are the best (newest), and not far from the main lobby where the bar and restaurants are. They were these individual houses that had 4 suites to a house. Each one had a terrace that came out onto a small area of grass, and then the ocean was only a few steps away from that. It was HEAVEN. The suites were large with a big bathroom w/ 2 sinks, a shower and tub, the bedroom area, and then a living area (with mini bar that is always stocked if you do the all inclusive). They had a welcome bottle of champagne for us and a beautiful welcome flower for the room. We loved being practically right on the beach, and were also close to everything else that the resort had to offer. Some people complain about the size of the resort, but if you stay in the hibiscus suites you’re right near everything. We did rent bikes though because we enjoyed riding all around the resort for a little exercise and the great views. The resort is very impressive – they have all different types of accommodations, but remember if you stay in the villas you will be far away from the main lobby. The grounds are amazing. Everything is so lush and tropical….just like paradise. A hurricane had come through the week before we were there, and we heard from everyone that the grounds staff cleaned everything right up – there were always guys picking up palm tree leaves or pulling out tress that came down. They really took pride in the appearance of the place.

The food and drink. Food was very important to us! My husband and I had both been to all inclusives in Mexico and we thought the food was terrible. Half Moon has amazing food. The restaurants we ate at were Seagrape Terrace, The Italian restaurant Il Gardino, and the Thai /Indian restaurant (and although they were far away in the shopping center, we never had to wait long to get a ride over there). The SugarMill Restaurant was CLOSED when we were there for renovations, and we were so sad cause our travel agent said it was the best. Now, granted, it would’ve been great to have had more choices. I think they have some extra places to eat open during peak season, but I’m not sure. Despite the limited choices, everything we ate was fabulous. We did room service for breakfast almost every morning, and ate it out on our terrace as we watched the ocean waves. The Jamaican coffee is amazing! They did have a lovely breakfast buffet every morning too, which we did a few times. For lunch we did Seagrape everyday, which was always good. Salads, sandwiches….it hit the spot. Seagrape was also great for dinner and the Italian was great too! Yes, Italian in Jamaica can be good! The only thing is…..service was a bit slow. It seemed like every meal was kind of dragged out because it took awhile to get the food. That got on my nerves after awhile, and so for lunch we started just ordering the food to go and then taking it over to the pool so we wouldn’t miss a minute of sun/pool time. The best things we had were: Chilean Sea Bass at the Italian restaurant, and a filet with shrimp entree at Seagrape. After 11 days of eating at the same places we got a little tired of it….but that is to be expected. We could’ve ventured into town but were too lazy. The Thai/Indian restaurant wasn’t that great. And it was a little creepy because nobody was ever in there. But overall, the food was delicious! The drinks were all amazing! If you get the all inclusive, all top shelf alcohol is included. We drank the best rums, the best vodkas….we had so many fruity drinks you couldn’t believe it! The best is this pina colada where they do a splash of dark rum on top of it. So good! And one of the bartenders made a great mojito with brown sugar. Our fav bartender was Harry. He was at the pool bar and would bring us over drinks without even being asked! He was wonderful and a pleasure to talk to. Another fav drink was a Vodka Ting - Ting is Jamaican grapefruit soda. Delicious! And my husband loved the Red Stripe Light….yes Light! Can’t get it in America. They went down so easy you could drink like 6 of them in one sitting! And yes, we did!

Beach/Pool. Believe it or not, we spent most of our type at the pool. The beach was fine….very lovely, plenty of chairs, palm trees for shade…..but because the hurricanes were going on all around us (but never hit us!) the ocean water had a lot of seaweed in it. It was fine enough to swim in, but I just didn’t feel like it. The pool was great AND it has a swim up bar! So that sold me. We spent almost everyday just chilling at the pool. They also have a lap pool, and two hot tubs, although I thought it was too hot for a hot tub! At the beach, they did have a variety of non-motorized water sports. We did go kayaking one day, but you have to do it when the water is calm.

Activities. As you can tell thus far, we were really lazy and didn’t want to do that much. So we picked two activities. We did the ATV tour, which was only about 15 minutes from Half Moon. That was a lot of fun, even for the non-adventurous. We saw a Jamaican village with school children, and had an incredible view from the top of Mt Zion. We also did the Appleton Rum Tour. That is on the south coast of the country, so it took about 2.5 hours to get there. We had our own private driver and van, so it was nice. But, the roads were all back roads, not a highway, and it was alittle bumpy. But we got to see the REAL Jamaica. The rum tour was great and we got our own private tour there, and got to taste all the rums. A lot of the tours are done through this company called Glamour Tours – our driver was Lance, he is the best! We didn’t do Dunns River because we heard from many people that it was really touristy and almost like an amusement park type of thing. Maybe we’ll do that next time.
Back at the resort, we went to the fitness center a few times. They had a great mini golf course too, which was fun. They had nice tennis courts but it was too hot. We biked around a lot, cause around 5pm when the sun was going down, it was really so beautiful. The Half Moon shopping center isn’t much to talk about….it was pretty deserted. Actually we got all our souvenirs at this big blue and yellow building that was on the highway about a mile up from the resort. It looks like something out of Ocean City Maryland.
The Fern Tree Spa at Half Moon was great! It doesn’t look like much on the outside, but it’s a huge complex inside! There is a special pool with a waterfall, AND a soaking pool right outside the locker rooms that was warm and fabulous! If you get a treatment, you can use the pools all day long. One day we did a couples massage, and another time we did a mani/pedi. I loved the massage, but the mani/pedi was kind of annoying cause they bumped our time by a few hours due to a wedding party being there. But whatever, it was fine. It was a really nice facility.
On Friday night that we were there they had a beach BBQ that was really awesome. It was an outdoor buffet and they had live entertainment. They also had a managers cocktail party on Monday with fun appetizers and drinks and you could meet the managers.

Half Moon Staff. I cannot express to you how kind, warm and welcoming the people of Jamaica are. I was blown away by how nice everyone was. They really say “Yea, mon!” and “No worries, mon!” like all the time! The great thing about going when we did was that the resort only had about 100 people staying there. So everyone was really great to us – everyone really wanted to go out of their way for us and help us. I felt like first class royalty! Cedric and Harry were our favorite bartenders, and Patrian at the front desk was fabulous! We did tip, because even though we were on the all inclusive its still important to take care of the people taking care of you. These people work hard! They are classy, all the way!

Complaints. Ok, while I look back on our honeymoon with nothing but fondness, I am going to be fair and tell you a couple of things that I didn’t like. When we got to our room, I went to use the hairdryer and it started smoking and sparking. They did come immediately and give me another hairdryer, but the sparking one was still on the wall, and I’m pretty sure the next person that stays there is gonna have the same thing happen! Plus my husband thought that the room needed a flat screen tv, and maybe a better radio. If its 5 star, it just needs a slight upgrade to really be 5 star. Another thing was, on our last day there, the lobby and our room didn’t have water for about 7 hours. It was really bad….and I needed to take a shower. Luckily I was having the mani/pedi done at the spa so I took a shower there (and they are awesome, big, wonderful showers) but still, I was annoyed. None of the bathrooms would flush, etc. But, there was a problem with the lines and what can you do? Another complaint is that they really don’t have anywhere to get quick fast food. Like, if I don’t feel like sitting down for a big lunch and dinner and I just wanted a quick sandwich, that wasn’t possible. And they didn’t serve food at the bar. It just got on my nerves after awhile with the slow service to go and sit down for a big meal. I just wish there would’ve been another faster option. Plus believe it or not, after 11 days of eating, I was kind of tired of the big meal thing and just wanted something quick. Also, I wish there would’ve been more food options, but we were told that when the resort is in peak time (Nov to Apr) there are more places open. One other thing, and this isn’t a complaint for me but I just want you to know: the resort is very expensive. If you decide to go and you are NOT on the all inclusive platinum plan (that includes all meals and alcohol) you are going to drop a lot of money on food and drink. A lot of the negative reviews on here have to do with the prices, but listen, if you aren’t gonna do the platinum then don’t go! The prices are probably double or triple what you’d expect to pay for food. So the platinum plan really pays off! Plus you are on vacation, why would you want to be worried about what you have to pay for? Just live it up! But if you do get the platinum plan, make sure the waitors and bartenders always get the receipts with your name and room number on them. Someone stole my last name and room number and bought an expensive bottle of wine and charged it to our room! Luckily the front desk was really understanding, but still!

One more warning: The mositos were horrid. I went home with about 15 bites. Take deep woods OFF with you! Especially at night, before you go for drinks and dinner, put it on!

If you are looking to be constantly entertained, constantly have activities and have a crazy busy vacation, I don’t know if Half Moon is for you. It is on the quiet side. On our honeymoon, we literally wanted to do nothing except relax, and eat and drink wonderful food and be surrounded by paradise. And Half Moon was perfect for what we wanted! We are definitely going back to Jamaica. The people were fabulous! And thank you Half Moon for a wonderful vacation!

And if any of our great british friends are reading this: Hi!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ecg24

Reviewed September 18, 2008

Theres something about halfmoon when you finish eating dinner and walk along the beach to your room. Whether its the water, the stars, or the peace and tranquility i do not know. Its magical

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank MiamiStars
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Half Moon last March for a work sales awards trip. The resort was a nice place to stay with a group (lots of stuff to do on the resort; tennis, miniture golf, sailing, kayaking, etc.). Also, we attended several group banquets and Half Moon did a very good job with those. However, for the amount of money I know my company paid for the trip, it was not worth the price. Here is the breakdown:

Resort Grounds: The grouds are very pretty and the beach is beautiful and quiet. There is a nice pool and an olympic pool if you like to lap swim. There are also smaller pools around the resort if you don't want to trek up to the large pool. One major problem is that the resort is very spread out. You can rent a golf cart to take you around all week, but they do not have golf cart "shuttles" to drive you around. You might be lucky to catch a ride with the staff, but bascially you have to wait for them to come by or you have to walk. We didn't usually mind walking, but if you have trouble walking or have small children this can be an issue. So, be prepared to pay $100-$200 for a golf cart. A bit of a pain when you are paying so much to stay there.

Room: These get one star. They are old, not well updated and definitely NOT five star. Our room consisted of two twin beds pushed together????? WHAT? Not only that but they were on a tile floor so every time you moved they slid apart. The TV in our room was very old with no volume control. Also, our room was in a section where the rooms are in little cottages w/4 to a cottage. you can pretty much hear what your other three cottage-mates are doing the whole time. You know what I mean. Also, the AC was not great and it was pretty hot in our room 24/7. I hear they are updating the rooms, but they obviously had not gotten to ours yet.

Food: Very overpriced and very hit and miss. They have buffets for breakfast and lunch at the main restaurant and dinner at three or four different places. We found the breakfast buffet to be good, but pricey. We dropped $60 for breakfast every morning (luckily not my money). The lunch buffet was really bad, so we stuck to ordering off the menu. The dinners were good and bad. At one of our banquets one night, the mashed potatoes were not edible and the sauce on the steak definitely came from a can. I am sure my company paid a LOT of money per head for that steak and they were not happy. However, we did have a very good dinner at the Sugar Mill one night and a decent dinner at the main restaurant. However, expect to pay $150-200 for dinner (for 2) for food and wine.

Service: The service was completely Jamaican: good but not fast. We found the staff to be really friendly and helpful, they just weren't in a hurry to do anything. The service at the restaurants and bars was pretty good, but the service on the beach was awful. Having to get my own towel and waiting 40 minutes for a drink on the beach are not what I expect from a 5-star hotel. However, the staff usually would get you whatever you needed, you may just have to wait a while.

Overall we had a very nice stay. None of these things were major enough to ruin my vacation. However, I am really glad my company was paying and not me, because I feel that for the price, there are MUCH nicer places to stay in Jamaica.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gapeach12
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Just returned from Half Moon stayed in Villa 56 which only had air conditioning in the bedrooms. We had the Butler and maid service which was very convenient. The food was very good but overall the resort is boring for active people except if you play golf. The beach is beautiful and one of the best features of Half Moon. It is just ok and I don't consider this place a 5-star resort and probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank jwilliamszx6
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I am so pleased to share with you this hotel. It is located in montego Bay, JA on 400 acres of land on the Rose Hall Plantation. It is luxury with a layed back feel. It has a shopping village on site. The spa is very nice. The nannies are very pleasant and caring. The butlers are very on time and efficient.

It has villas and suites. Did I mention the golf courses that are one of a kind, dolphin lagoons, horseback riding, and much much more.
My favorite restaurant was the Sugar Mill. There are three full service restaurants in all and a shopping center near the entrance of the hotel lobby, this is if you don't want to take the shuttle to it's own shopping village .

My first stay was in the Royal Villas, and the next time in a Hibiscus suite. I missed the personal pool at my entrance when I stayed in the suites, but I had the whole sea at my back door.

The price is not inexpensive but it is worth the price. Try the site and look for sales. Otherwise contact me and I will book it for you I am a full service agent. Try me at LMaggi46@juno.com

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank LMaggie
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Ok where do I begin..?

Well, even though it's exactly 2 months and 1 day since the day of my wedding, I can still remember my wedding weekend experience at the Half Moon as if it was yesterday.Literally! I had 70+ family and friends travel to Montego Bay, Jamaica, from all parts of the United States for my wedding to the Half Moon. Upon a pretty tumultuous flight/trip from New York for about 30 of my guests, this resort was EXACTLY the answer to the problem they had getting there..but I will get to the more important factors of the weekend.

From the time of arrival, we all were impressed with the grandness of the resort. It has a colonial rich appeal that speaks history, tradition, and non- “cookie cutter" resort features like the Sandals and Couples chains. I am a fan of modern and new world style, but this was refreshing and different. My husband, myself, and all of our guests had Lester's Bar as out private check-in area. Here we received our room keys, weekend/resort information, and a delicious rum punch. We were quickly matched up with our guests who had since arrived, and were already dining at the Seagrape Terrace Restaurant for lunch. My husband and I were shown our suite, and to ur surprise we were upgraded to the best..I sent a picture of the Imperial Suite to my wedding coordinator via email, and while she could not guarantee me this (we were only promised a Junior Suite), this is exactly what we got..A two-room suite, two full bathrooms (exactly what we needed for a wedding!) full size living room, deck, and a private pool! Some of our guests said it looked like a pool house! While dated, it had charm, and it was HUGE! Perfect for a girl who has a large bridal party..

All of my guests were on the “Half Moon Plan” which was the same as the “Good Life Plan” but I guess for groups, and included all meals, drinks, room service, mini-bar, and non-motorized activities. The first night, we had dinner at Il Giardino, the Italian restaurant, which was excellent (the Chilean Sea Bass was to DIE FOR!). Once all of our guests arrived, (the first batch of the NY flight came in around 8:30 p.m.) they were dining at Seagrape, and we sort of took over the restaurant, but there really wasn’t anyone else there. You can see that everyone was starting to “unwind” after such a bad travel day with good food, loved people, and great drinks, and of course unlimited of all of the above. That night I had a pool party at my suite..It was great.

I won’t bore you with the other details, we ate at Sugar Mill, which is another great restaurant. I would agree with other travelers that Royal Pub is not worth your time, and Akbar was nothing to write home about (I didn’t go to either, mainly because the drinks weren't included, but this is based on my guests reviews). The staff throughout the resort were EXCELLENT the whole entire time, even though they knew we were on the AI plan, and because of that, we all tipped them extra, just because of that superior service. Room service was FANTASTIC, and the staff rides around with everything that you order on a big platter on their heads, riding on a bicycle. It’s the most unreal thing I have ever seen, especially in that heat! Who wouldn’t want to tip extra for that, just because of the mere fact that they didn’t fall while riding!

On the day of the wedding, the new Fern Tree Spa was excellent, and is BEAUTIFUL. I was so sad that I wasn’t able to make full advantage of the amenities due to time, as well as I had the beginnings of a bad cold. My wedding coordinator, Shanoya, was fantastic, and was organizing everything at the wedding site, which were the Lily Pond Wedding Gazebo and Royal Pavilion. She allowed me to do a lot of things that I wanted to do, and saved me a lot of money doing it, so my husband and I were super happy! My guests that stayed off property were super impressed with Half Moon, and I know secretly they wished they could’ve and should’ve stayed there to begin with. The wedding, dinner, dancing reception was FABULOUS and everyone had a great time! It was truly our dream come true.

On the last day, it was a sad one. ALL of our guests were sad to leave, and even the ones that were either pessimistic about coming to Jamaica because of what they have heard about the island, or weren’t too thrilled about the “pricey” accommodations all agreed this was one of the BEST vacations that they have ever had, and that if they ever returned to Jamaica, this would be their ONLY choice. Needless to say, it was an experience of a lifetime for all.

• Stayed: May 2008
11  Thank danidst
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed at Half Moon last year and had such a great time we decided to come back again. We have now decided to make this an annual trip, as it seems to get better each time! Last year, we were able to get an upgraded room right on the ocean, but this time, they were unable to accommodate an upgrade, due to two weddings taking place on the property that week. However, our check-in agent took the trouble to place us on a waiting list for any cancellations and updated us throughout our stay. We stayed in an Oleander deluxe room, which was more than adequate regardless. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the bathroom had been completely updated. The A/C in the room worked to perfection and was a pleasant respite from the Jamaica mid-day heat. My husband golfed almost every day and had great things to say about the courses, although because of the low season, many of them were being aerated, making the conditions a bit rougher. I visited the spa a few days, which has also been completely renovated. Absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend their bath soaks. The spa also offers Pilates classes, and even though I ended up being the only one to sign up for the classes (again, during the low season), I got a challenging, hands-on Pilates class! The food, just as last year, was top-notch. Our favorite restaurant was the Sugar Mill, and we ate there 5 nights out of our 7 night stay! We took part in the Half Moon plan which I highly recommend, as you can eat and drink as much as you want--you will very easily exceed the price per day if you do not do the plan. We also did a couple of excursions--an ATV excursion (tons of fun), and an inner-tube excursion down a river (ran really late and had lots of bugs). The Half Moon staff was tremendous--very friendly and helpful. The day we were to leave, our flight ended up being delayed 9 hours! The staff at Half Moon was gracious enough to provide us with transportation back to the resort and allowed us to have access to our room and expense account so we were able to comfortably enjoy our delay, rather than being stuck at the airport! The only complaint I had was not even related to Half Moon--never fly Air Jamaica! It's the only nonstop for us from Chicago, but both times we have flown on it, we have had significant delays such as the 9 hours we incurred this time. Both times it was because the airline did not have a plane available! What airline does not have a plane for a scheduled flight? But I cannot say enough about the great experience we had at Half Moon and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple