“Half Moon is beautiful at night!”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Miami
“Half Moon is beautiful at night!”
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Theres something about halfmoon when you finish eating dinner and walk along the beach to your room. Whether its the water, the stars, or the peace and tranquility i do not know. Its magical

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank MiamiStars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Half Moon last March for a work sales awards trip. The resort was a nice place to stay with a group (lots of stuff to do on the resort; tennis, miniture golf, sailing, kayaking, etc.). Also, we attended several group banquets and Half Moon did a very good job with those. However, for the amount of money I know my company paid for the trip, it was not worth the price. Here is the breakdown:

Resort Grounds: The grouds are very pretty and the beach is beautiful and quiet. There is a nice pool and an olympic pool if you like to lap swim. There are also smaller pools around the resort if you don't want to trek up to the large pool. One major problem is that the resort is very spread out. You can rent a golf cart to take you around all week, but they do not have golf cart "shuttles" to drive you around. You might be lucky to catch a ride with the staff, but bascially you have to wait for them to come by or you have to walk. We didn't usually mind walking, but if you have trouble walking or have small children this can be an issue. So, be prepared to pay $100-$200 for a golf cart. A bit of a pain when you are paying so much to stay there.

Room: These get one star. They are old, not well updated and definitely NOT five star. Our room consisted of two twin beds pushed together????? WHAT? Not only that but they were on a tile floor so every time you moved they slid apart. The TV in our room was very old with no volume control. Also, our room was in a section where the rooms are in little cottages w/4 to a cottage. you can pretty much hear what your other three cottage-mates are doing the whole time. You know what I mean. Also, the AC was not great and it was pretty hot in our room 24/7. I hear they are updating the rooms, but they obviously had not gotten to ours yet.

Food: Very overpriced and very hit and miss. They have buffets for breakfast and lunch at the main restaurant and dinner at three or four different places. We found the breakfast buffet to be good, but pricey. We dropped $60 for breakfast every morning (luckily not my money). The lunch buffet was really bad, so we stuck to ordering off the menu. The dinners were good and bad. At one of our banquets one night, the mashed potatoes were not edible and the sauce on the steak definitely came from a can. I am sure my company paid a LOT of money per head for that steak and they were not happy. However, we did have a very good dinner at the Sugar Mill one night and a decent dinner at the main restaurant. However, expect to pay $150-200 for dinner (for 2) for food and wine.

Service: The service was completely Jamaican: good but not fast. We found the staff to be really friendly and helpful, they just weren't in a hurry to do anything. The service at the restaurants and bars was pretty good, but the service on the beach was awful. Having to get my own towel and waiting 40 minutes for a drink on the beach are not what I expect from a 5-star hotel. However, the staff usually would get you whatever you needed, you may just have to wait a while.

Overall we had a very nice stay. None of these things were major enough to ruin my vacation. However, I am really glad my company was paying and not me, because I feel that for the price, there are MUCH nicer places to stay in Jamaica.

• Liked — Beautiful, quiet beach
  • Disliked — Not good value for the money
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gapeach12
New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Just returned from Half Moon stayed in Villa 56 which only had air conditioning in the bedrooms. We had the Butler and maid service which was very convenient. The food was very good but overall the resort is boring for active people except if you play golf. The beach is beautiful and one of the best features of Half Moon. It is just ok and I don't consider this place a 5-star resort and probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Boring
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank jwilliamszx6
California
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I am so pleased to share with you this hotel. It is located in montego Bay, JA on 400 acres of land on the Rose Hall Plantation. It is luxury with a layed back feel. It has a shopping village on site. The spa is very nice. The nannies are very pleasant and caring. The butlers are very on time and efficient.

It has villas and suites. Did I mention the golf courses that are one of a kind, dolphin lagoons, horseback riding, and much much more.
My favorite restaurant was the Sugar Mill. There are three full service restaurants in all and a shopping center near the entrance of the hotel lobby, this is if you don't want to take the shuttle to it's own shopping village .

My first stay was in the Royal Villas, and the next time in a Hibiscus suite. I missed the personal pool at my entrance when I stayed in the suites, but I had the whole sea at my back door.

The price is not inexpensive but it is worth the price. Try the site and look for sales. Otherwise contact me and I will book it for you I am a full service agent. Try me at LMaggi46@juno.com

Enjoy your stay.

• Liked — They are luxury high end acommodations
  • Disliked — there are no fun foods easily available for teens
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank LMaggie
NJ
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Ok where do I begin..?

Well, even though it's exactly 2 months and 1 day since the day of my wedding, I can still remember my wedding weekend experience at the Half Moon as if it was yesterday.Literally! I had 70+ family and friends travel to Montego Bay, Jamaica, from all parts of the United States for my wedding to the Half Moon. Upon a pretty tumultuous flight/trip from New York for about 30 of my guests, this resort was EXACTLY the answer to the problem they had getting there..but I will get to the more important factors of the weekend.

From the time of arrival, we all were impressed with the grandness of the resort. It has a colonial rich appeal that speaks history, tradition, and non- “cookie cutter" resort features like the Sandals and Couples chains. I am a fan of modern and new world style, but this was refreshing and different. My husband, myself, and all of our guests had Lester's Bar as out private check-in area. Here we received our room keys, weekend/resort information, and a delicious rum punch. We were quickly matched up with our guests who had since arrived, and were already dining at the Seagrape Terrace Restaurant for lunch. My husband and I were shown our suite, and to ur surprise we were upgraded to the best..I sent a picture of the Imperial Suite to my wedding coordinator via email, and while she could not guarantee me this (we were only promised a Junior Suite), this is exactly what we got..A two-room suite, two full bathrooms (exactly what we needed for a wedding!) full size living room, deck, and a private pool! Some of our guests said it looked like a pool house! While dated, it had charm, and it was HUGE! Perfect for a girl who has a large bridal party..

All of my guests were on the “Half Moon Plan” which was the same as the “Good Life Plan” but I guess for groups, and included all meals, drinks, room service, mini-bar, and non-motorized activities. The first night, we had dinner at Il Giardino, the Italian restaurant, which was excellent (the Chilean Sea Bass was to DIE FOR!). Once all of our guests arrived, (the first batch of the NY flight came in around 8:30 p.m.) they were dining at Seagrape, and we sort of took over the restaurant, but there really wasn’t anyone else there. You can see that everyone was starting to “unwind” after such a bad travel day with good food, loved people, and great drinks, and of course unlimited of all of the above. That night I had a pool party at my suite..It was great.

I won’t bore you with the other details, we ate at Sugar Mill, which is another great restaurant. I would agree with other travelers that Royal Pub is not worth your time, and Akbar was nothing to write home about (I didn’t go to either, mainly because the drinks weren't included, but this is based on my guests reviews). The staff throughout the resort were EXCELLENT the whole entire time, even though they knew we were on the AI plan, and because of that, we all tipped them extra, just because of that superior service. Room service was FANTASTIC, and the staff rides around with everything that you order on a big platter on their heads, riding on a bicycle. It’s the most unreal thing I have ever seen, especially in that heat! Who wouldn’t want to tip extra for that, just because of the mere fact that they didn’t fall while riding!

On the day of the wedding, the new Fern Tree Spa was excellent, and is BEAUTIFUL. I was so sad that I wasn’t able to make full advantage of the amenities due to time, as well as I had the beginnings of a bad cold. My wedding coordinator, Shanoya, was fantastic, and was organizing everything at the wedding site, which were the Lily Pond Wedding Gazebo and Royal Pavilion. She allowed me to do a lot of things that I wanted to do, and saved me a lot of money doing it, so my husband and I were super happy! My guests that stayed off property were super impressed with Half Moon, and I know secretly they wished they could’ve and should’ve stayed there to begin with. The wedding, dinner, dancing reception was FABULOUS and everyone had a great time! It was truly our dream come true.

On the last day, it was a sad one. ALL of our guests were sad to leave, and even the ones that were either pessimistic about coming to Jamaica because of what they have heard about the island, or weren’t too thrilled about the “pricey” accommodations all agreed this was one of the BEST vacations that they have ever had, and that if they ever returned to Jamaica, this would be their ONLY choice. Needless to say, it was an experience of a lifetime for all.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — That I had to leave, and it's so expensive now to come back.
  • Stayed May 2008
11 Thank danidst
Sycamore, IL
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed at Half Moon last year and had such a great time we decided to come back again. We have now decided to make this an annual trip, as it seems to get better each time! Last year, we were able to get an upgraded room right on the ocean, but this time, they were unable to accommodate an upgrade, due to two weddings taking place on the property that week. However, our check-in agent took the trouble to place us on a waiting list for any cancellations and updated us throughout our stay. We stayed in an Oleander deluxe room, which was more than adequate regardless. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the bathroom had been completely updated. The A/C in the room worked to perfection and was a pleasant respite from the Jamaica mid-day heat. My husband golfed almost every day and had great things to say about the courses, although because of the low season, many of them were being aerated, making the conditions a bit rougher. I visited the spa a few days, which has also been completely renovated. Absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend their bath soaks. The spa also offers Pilates classes, and even though I ended up being the only one to sign up for the classes (again, during the low season), I got a challenging, hands-on Pilates class! The food, just as last year, was top-notch. Our favorite restaurant was the Sugar Mill, and we ate there 5 nights out of our 7 night stay! We took part in the Half Moon plan which I highly recommend, as you can eat and drink as much as you want--you will very easily exceed the price per day if you do not do the plan. We also did a couple of excursions--an ATV excursion (tons of fun), and an inner-tube excursion down a river (ran really late and had lots of bugs). The Half Moon staff was tremendous--very friendly and helpful. The day we were to leave, our flight ended up being delayed 9 hours! The staff at Half Moon was gracious enough to provide us with transportation back to the resort and allowed us to have access to our room and expense account so we were able to comfortably enjoy our delay, rather than being stuck at the airport! The only complaint I had was not even related to Half Moon--never fly Air Jamaica! It's the only nonstop for us from Chicago, but both times we have flown on it, we have had significant delays such as the 9 hours we incurred this time. Both times it was because the airline did not have a plane available! What airline does not have a plane for a scheduled flight? But I cannot say enough about the great experience we had at Half Moon and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Liked — The location, amenities, and staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank psycherie
London
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Half Moon towards the end of May for a week. We went for the all inclusive package which was purchased through Virgin Holidays - which included transfers to and from the airport.

As soon as we arrived, we were taken to the VIP check in room (not sure why) and we were both offered welcome cocktails. We had originally booked a superior room but upon arrival, we were given a Hibiscus Suite - not that I was complaining but I think this was due to the low season.

The resort itself is massive. We were taken to our room by a golf cart. The room had a sea view and could be accessed via the patio doors, past the garden.

For meals in the main area (by reception) it was a 3 min stroll so a golf buggy was not really required. Just remember to book where you want to go for dinner!

There are 5 restaurants you can choose from for dinner - 2 near the main reception, 2 in the shopping village (where the majority of shops have now closed and moved to further down to Rose Hall) and one on the golf course. For the latter 2, there is a free shuttle that continuously goes around the resort and stops at various points - it is not a walkable distance!! If you're on the all inclusive plan, all 5 dinner places are included in your meal plan.

Everything you need to have a relaxing holiday is available in the resort. The only time we ventured outside the resort was for a day of deep sea fishing which was arranged for us by the hotel concierge. Other activities the resort boasts is the dolphin lagoon (my husband went swimming with the dolphins), a golf course (where we also played on once) and I believe you can go on horse-back along the sea front (I saw the horses but didn't see anyone take this up).

The rooms were kept very clean - clean out in the morning and a turn down service in the evening. The only problem we experienced was the refrigerator in the room didn't work and we had to call reception 4 times before someone came out to fix it. Mind you, you are on holiday and it's the Caribbean way of life to take things slowly.

I would thoroughly recommend this place if all you want to do is relax with all activities close by. I guess we could have been anywhere as we stayed inside the resort but the people were friendly and they really do say "yeah man" all the time!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!