“Had a nice time”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My husband and I were invited here for a corporate event. We stayed at a villa where we had one of the seven rooms and a shared villa pool which was well kept up and gorgeous. It was a very nice room, very clean with a decent size bathroom. The air conditioning in our room was a bit noisy and blew cold air on me all night. I was either hot or freezing. There was no air conditioning in the rest of the villa, which I didn't mind. There was only sporadic hot water in the shower. We had a staff to cook breakfast and take care of us, which was over the top for me. Actually, Rennis, our butler as he referred to himself, was my favorite part of the whole thing! He was so kind and funny. He really looked out for us and he was so accommodating. There were only two golf carts for all of us, so he drove us all around in shifts. The main pool had a swim up bar and the pina coladas (with extra rum) were amazing. I wish I had one right now. The tuna sandwich I ordered was more like a mayonnaise sandwich. Yuk. Everything was over priced. The suntan lotion in one of the little gift shops was four times what it would cost at home, so don't count on buying things when you get here. The food at all of the restaurants was disappointing...nothing special at all. The grounds were kept up beautifully and there is no doubt that this is a huge, clean, scenic place. I did have a great time, but I don't think I would come back on my own. It is too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: The cottages on the beach were way better and more private than the villas. Unless you want to wake...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Lauren M
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor. Your candid feedback is appreciated and has not been taken lightly. We are committed to delivering a high level of service and amenities to our many discerning clients hence, we sincerely regret any inconvenience or discomfort encountered during your stay with us. Already we have checked the hot water in the shower and have made the necessary adjustment; we have also repositioned the airconditioner unit. Your dining experience has been shared with the Food and Beverage team, who are committed to furtherrefining this experience.

We are happy that notwhitstanding the foregoing, you had an enjoyable stay; Thank you for recognizing the villa team expecially Rennis – we have shared your kind comments with Rennis and the rest of the team

While you have indicated that you had a ‘nice time’ but you are not likely to return on your own, we hope you will reconsider this decision and give us an opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime. Should you decide to visit us on your own, please feel free to contact me directly to assist with making the necessary arrangements.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back whether for a corporate event or with your family.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,109)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We fully expected this large (400 acres?) resort to be beautiful--both the setting and the facilities, and we were not disappointed. The pleasant surprise was how friendly and helpful workers there were to us. At one point, we talked about the Disney-ish feel: people are obviously trained to be friendly and attentive--but maybe a little more natural and genuine. We dined at the Sugar Mill with a good size group, and the food and servers were both excellent. Most breakfasts and lunches were at the seaside Seagrape Terrace, which had excellent buffets and a la carte selections. One visit to Robbie's Kitchen for lunch, which we enjoyed, although there is little to attract a visit to the "Shopping Village" otherwise.

We aren't golfers, but understood the course to be wonderful. We spent most of our visit simply relaxing--a respite from a brutal Northern winter--and the hardest choices were between the beach and the pools.

Because it's such an expanse, getting around is helped by shuttles and golf cart rides. We unfortunately never made it to the dolphin lagoon--perhaps another visit. Which reminds me: I think we were invited back by just about everyone we met.

Room Tip: Hibiscus Suites are conveniently located among beach, pools, fitness center, tennis courts, children...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have stayed at half moon 3 times now and plan to go back again. It is a large resort but also gives the comfort of a boutique resort. It has the perfect blend of the freedom to choose from numerous activities and excursions but also of lazying away the days without feeling that the hotel vibe is directing you one way or the other. Great for couples, families and traveling solo.

Room Tip: Beautiful resort lay out but Hibiscus suite offers a sense of privacy with direct beach access,and s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share another lovely TripAdvisor review.

As you rightly acknowledged, Half Moon is truly an exclusive resort – there is always something for everyone…our unmatched array of accommodations, amenities and attractions have kept our guests returning again and again. We are delighted you had another experience of a lifetime.

Thank you for again choosing Half Moon; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I got married at Half Moon 2 years ago and this was out first time back. We were excited to truly be able to relax and enjoy all that Half Moon had to offer without the stress of a wedding. Well, it was better than we remembered it. The staff is exceptional. People remembered us and it really feels like a family here. From the second we stepped out and were greeted in the picturesque oceanfront lobby with rum drinks, we were escorted to the VIP check in and were then whisked away via golf cart (shout out to our favorites Wayne, Paul and Omar) to our insanely beautiful room overlooking the ocean. They made some really nice upgrades to the lounge chairs and subtle parts of the property that really have it looking nice. I found that the food and service were beyond amazing. The menus were better than I had remembered and it is a good thing that they have the only certified spinning studio in the Caribbean because I wanted to eat everything! Their gym, tennis, and sports facilities are unparalled.

My favorite of activities (and believe me, it's hard to choose because they do it all for you here) is swimming with the horses in the ocean. The equestrian center is run by an incredible woman named Trina whose staff looks after their animals with the finest of attention. You take your horses out and depending on the current you can go way out and actually swim with them. My husband doesn't ride horses and he had the best time. It is like no other experience.

I have been to St. Barth's, Antigua, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Barbados. Let me tell you, Half Moon is the most magical and special place you will experience. I cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank April D
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

What a thrill to hear that you had a fabulous Anniversary with your Half Moon, A RockResort family.

Half Moon is certainly a magical resort – there is never a dull moment with our wide array of recreational activities be it Golf, Tennis, Fitness, spa, equestrian, water sports or our Anancy Children’s Village. We are delighted you enjoyed some of our many activities; swimming with the horses is definitely among the many favourites. We will be sure to share your compliments with Trina and her team. We will also share your kind comments with Wayne, Paul and Omar.

Happy you enjoyed a magical experience this time around… sure the next visit will be even better. Happy Anniversary from your Moon family and best wishes for many more. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I love everything about Half Moon and have spent many vacations there, being pampered and made to feel like a member of the Half Moon 'family". I am writing this review now to single out the Anancy Children's Village at Half Moon, which both of my children have LOVED for the past four years. My daughter is now 10 yrs old and my son is 9, yet they still love it as much as they did when they were littler. That is because the staff is so wonderful. They are professional, creative, tons of fun, and very caring. The activities are wonderfully varied, and my kids have been able to enjoy all the Half Moon has to offer through their participation in the Children's Village, from the Spa, to Horse Back Riding, to kissing a dolphin. Having such a wonderful Children's Village, which my children looked forward to attending, has given me some down time, which is always nice to have on a vacation. I highly, highly recommend Half Moon and the Children's Village.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MicheleApples
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We spent 5 days at the resort and I have to say it was our best vacation EVER! The resort is awesome but what made the stay so memorable was staying in a villa with your own cook, maid and butler. They were beyond amazing. Rochester Wray our butler went above and beyond taking care of us and was so sweet and friendly and made us feel like family immediately. Our cook Nurshett was incredible and made us breakfast every morning at whatever time we asked and was such a joy to be around. We had great food in the privacy of your own villa overlooking our pool...priceless. Our butler suggested we go in on the food with our room mates so we set up an account at the commissary the first day and then at the end we just divided it up between everyone...best advice ever! Our maid Paula was precious and kept our room IMMACULATE and had such a sweet spirit about her. We felt pampered and spoiled our entire stay and our staff had such a great attitude and joy about them...it felt like we were leaving family when we left. We will definitely be back and for sure we will ask for the same staff because it just wouldn't be the same without them! I'm sure all of the staff there is great but if you want the best I would ask for these three!

Room Tip: Villa, villa,villa is the way to go. My husbands employer sent us so we roomed with people we didn...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a trip with the Kia Service Elite group, where they put us up at this fabulous resort. We stayed in a villa with 6 other couples. We were skeptical at first but would not have wanted to stay anywhere else on the resort. The staff we had at the villa was incredible. The cook, Nurshette, made amazing breakfasts for us each morning, the maid Paula was incredible keeping the villa spotless and doing our laundry for us, and the butler Rochester, well words can not describe how amazing he was. He waited on us hand and foot, was such a joy to be around, and went above and beyond his job duties as far as I was concerned. When we would go to dinner at night we would come back and he would have something set up for us each evening like snack tables and a bar. If we ever return to this resort we will definitely request them and I suggest you do the same if you go stay in one of these villas. The rest of the resort was amazing, it was like being in paradise for 4 days.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple