“Very pretty & quiet”

Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
uk
“Very pretty & quiet”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

First impressions were the place is very pretty and quiet. Our room was a
little dated but still nice, I am sure the more expensive ones would be more up to date they certainly looked amazing from the outside. We only stayed here a few nights as a treat. They have a amazing playground for the children here yet it doesn't seem a place where u get a lot of children. We hired bikes the first day thou you can hire golf buggies. It was nice to ride round the resort even though I am not really a biker. They have many beaches but only one you can really swim in. I was surprised to see a couple of mongoose playing but then I thought at least they will have no snakes. I loved the sounds of the wildlife specially at night. I watched so many different butterflies dancing on the flowers and lizards basking and sharing the sun rays. I did go past the dolphins and watch them at feeding time. I was told they are free to go at anytime and they can jump the walls but choose not to. I am not a fan of captured sealife having seen a different side to Seaworld Florida. I saw the horses too via a walk on the empty beach which was really full of seaweed and had quite a bit of horse dung, but they may have removed it when we left. The staff are very friendly and there seems to be more staff than holiday makers. I did have issues with a couple of staff and this is why I don't wish to give full stars.
In my bathroom I had a cockroach, It's Jamaica I know I just don't like them in the rooms. We had a large one in the Rui they removed it end of story. Here I rang reception and asked for it to be removed, I was told they would come straight away. I placed towels to keep it in the bathroom waited a hour no one came. I asked a passing staff for help she said well we can not fumigate your room while you are in and anyway your leaving today. I said no I was not leaving and my request was to simply remove it. Anyway we went out came back at three in the afternoon all the bathroom doors were open and the towels still on the floor a smell of insecticide in the air. Mr cockroach dead on his back. I found house keeping number in the book asked if they were going to clean the room she said I must have had do not disturb on the door. Explanation given and they came five minutes later. Why as a holiday maker did I have to chase this up? I did explain I was not happy about this on leaving and was told it got sorted in the end, yes indeed it did by myself. I didn't complain about the very noisy air con all night which I have a taken a video of as I felt embarrassed that I had to complain in the first place.
I can not help thinking did the royals or celebrities stand in the bath to clean their teeth or maybe they didn't mind a cockroach running round.
On another note we ate at the Sugar mill, the food was very nice, but very pricey and we were given a table where I faced the dark looking on to the road where you could hear the traffic a little. The staff here were very helpful pleasant and polite.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank BLACKSAPPHIRE
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for sharing feedback on your recent Half Moon, A RockRock experience. Your candid comments are certainly appreciated.

We regret that your expectations were not exceeded with aspects of your experience, particularly challenges with your accommodation. Encounters as described in your review are certainly not indicative of the quality of service for which Half Moon is renowned – we sincerely apliogise for any inconvenience caused. Comments such as you are appreciated as they give us the opportunity to further refine our services. Thank you for mentioning the air conditioner we have since addressed the issue, however we are disappointed that you did not communicate same to us prior your departure. Notwithstanding.we are happy that despite the issues highlighted, overall, you had an enjoyable stay.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I found it not to not be what was expected although we had good service, the rooms were nice,but overall, I would give it 2/5. It is still a nice place to be if you love the beach. They have a bike and golf cart rental so you can go anywhere on halfmoon property.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Tripkid101
Dear Valued Guests,

We do appreciate your sharing feedback from your visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We sincerely regret that your expectations were not met during this visit.

Half Moon, A RockResort sits on 400 acres of landscaped natural beauty and is bordered by twin crescent-shaped beaches; offering unmatched array of accommodations, amenities and attractions, all of which contribute to our high volume of returning guests. Half Moon has also been careful to combine old world charm with modern touches, in our commitment to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

The diversity of activities, be it Golf, Tennis, Equestrian and even a Dolphin Lagoon, the serenity of our Fern Tree Spa, our wide selection of dining options; are just some of the reasons Half Moon is considered the Caribbean's premier resort.

We are disappointed that you did not fully enjoy the Half Moon offerings and your experience was not as you anticipated. Notwithstanding, we thank you for acknowledging the good service you received. We trust you will give us another opportunity to create and experience of lifetime for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The grounds are very attractive, and the units are well done inside. However, the price tag for these rooms and suites is astronomical. 1000 a night, etc. The hotel itself is charming but very dated. Some of that dated feel is tied to the charm of the hotel. While there I saw several well known people (a politician, media figure, etc), and that's always fun.

However, the entire resort just felt like a bit of an anachronism. The staff were friendly throughout, but i couldn't escape the feeling that this was a manufactured reality trying to remind guests of some theoretical beautiful time in the past. I wish I could do a better job of explaining the energy and feel.

I will return to Jamaica, but not to this hotel. The prices and feel, design and location, as well as the beach (rocky and not accessible in most areas) would all push me to Negril or an alternate location.

Final note - I am writing this as one half of a couple, we are engaged, not married, and travel often. We do not have children. If we had children, I would probably love this hotel and sing its praises. There are activities for children all over the resort, very, very safe, easyto get around, etc

Room Tip: Suites along the water are great for a view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crabjunkie
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Feedback from our valued customers are always appreciated; we thank you for sharing review on your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We regret that you did not entirely enjoy your experience with us.

Half Moon celebrates its 60th Anniversary this year, and continues to attract many luminaries of the day with our varied accommodation, combing old world charm with modern touches, in our commitment to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

Among the many activities we offer is our Anancy Children’s Village which offers numerous activities which are supervised by our well-trained coordinators. Be sure to visit when our very important little guests come along.

We try hard to provide the best possible service, activities and amenities to our
customers and sincerely regret that your expectations were not exceed during your visit with us. While you have indicated that you are not likely to return to Half Moon in the future, we hope you will reconsider this decision and give us another opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime. We look forward to serving you again with the children ofcourse.

Again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and for your feedback.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This hotel has everything. The hotel grounds are stunning and the staff take incredible care of you. There is so much for you to do right on site with pools, tennis courts, biking, equestrian center, dolphin lagoon, children's center, and spa. I also love that you can take a non-inclusive stay option so you can eat wherever you want and are not forced to eat mediocre food like is the case at some inclusive resorts. The food here was really good. They have a buffet for lunch each day and they change out the offerings everyday so it was fun to see what would be featured. The concierge staff are top notch and really helpful. I love this resort and will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms right by the lobby have really huge bathrooms and you can walk out to the beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

We are thrilled your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort was incredible, thank you for sharing your beautiful review on tripadvisor.

Half Moon, A RockResort is set on 400 beautifully manicured acres offering myriad of recreational activities and amenities to include our 13 lit Tennis Courts, 54 Swimming pools including a lap pool, the equestrian Centre which is a favourite among many of guests. We are pleased you enjoyed your dining experience; our six restaurants surely know how to tantalize the taste buds of our many discerning clients.

Thank you for recognizing the team our goal is always to create and experience of a lifetime for you our valued customers. Your Half Moon family looks forward to welcoming you back home in the not so distant future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Our first time at Half Moon - my husband and I attended a wedding. This time around we decided to take our children (ages 5 & 7) for a week. It was a wonderful trip.

ACTIVITIES: This resort as mentioned in previous reviews is large at over 400 acres. This allows for a ton of options for a family--from the beautiful beach, the equestrian center, numerous pools, the game rooms, tennis, golf, and a huge kids club. We rented bikes for the week--which was included in your hotel stay (they had bikes for all ages--including training wheels if a child needs them). Renting bikes allowed us to explore the entire resort--without having to rely on the shuttle. We also enjoyed taking kayaks out every day. Early evenings we enjoyed music at the cedar bar. (They can serve kids food off of the kids menu here as well.)

ROOM: We stayed in an Imperial Suite and it was fabulous. There was plenty of room for the four of us. The bedroom was spacious with a couch and a few different seating areas. The main room was gigantic, allowing enough room for 2 beds to be brought in and put in a corner. The beds were very much out of the way of the couches and eating area. This was a wonderful choice for our family of 4. Our room sat on the second floor and had a huge balcony -- making the living space seem even larger. We also had a beautiful beach right outside our doorsteps.

FOOD: The food at the resort is very expensive (as in most island resorts). I loved the breakfast buffet at Sea Grape every morning. It has a huge variety of foods and amazing tables that are ocean front. I was not in love with the quality of what I was eating or the preparation of the dinners. We eat at both the Sea Grape Restaurant as well as sugar mill. We had overly salty appetizers (tuna tartar and a salmon dish) as well as very bland shrimp. The only "meals" that I enjoyed were the salads. We also ate one night at Robbies Kitchen--which was good as long as you can sit outside. The inside lacked any charm as it looked like a very well worn bar. This was a much more affordable option as it didn't have all of the resort fees (its located in the village within the resort grounds - but not operated by the resort). If you are traveling with kids, you might want to use the "commissary/ grocery store". You need to use cash or credit cards (they accepted US dollars but gave you Jamaican $ back). We went here daily to buy the kids treats. You could also very easily buy food there to make sandwiches etc for the kids.

STAFF:
The resort staff was amazing from the second we arrived. They're warm and friendly and went out of their way to make sure our kids had what they needed. The men at the boat house made sure to bring my kids sand toys every day after us just asking once on the first day we arrived.

KIDS CLUB:
We did not end up using the kids club -- although next time we would. When you first look at the kids club you might not think it looks very nice--it has 4 or 5 "log cabins". When I took my children to the playground located inside the kids club area we went and explored these cabins. Each one had a unique theme. One had a huge stage while another looked like it was used for arts and crafts. There also was a "clock" that showed you where the kids were at any given time (since the staff takes the kids to the equestrian center, to the beaches, out to lunch.) It looked like a very well run and exciting place for the kids to vacation.

EQUESTRIAN CENTER:
This is a wonderful facility and even if you don't want to ride--you should take a walk to it and check it out. We had each of our children take a lesson and they loved it. I think this might have been the highlight of their trip.

SPA:
My husband and I each had a 80 minute massage. I loved mine however my husbands masseuse misread the reservation and only gave my husband a 50 minute massage--he was very disappointed to say the least. I was very surprised that the staff didn't try to rectify the situation other then adjusting the bill to a 50 minute massage. This left us sour.

Overall a very positive experience that I would recommend for families.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We spent one night at Half Moon recently, before our flight back to the States. Everything was fine there, nice people, nice room. Expensive! And BIG! We had just come from Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios, and felt the experiences were very different. The scale, the personal service, the sense of well being, quiet, protection, graciousness and grace...those are to be found a little further along the coast at JAMAICA INN which we really loved. Nothing wrong with Half Moon at all, but for people looking for real peace, and Jamaican gracious living, check out Jamaica Inn.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth357
Nantucket, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at Half Moon Bay for three nights after a few days at Tryall. Half Moon is a big property, covering 400 acres and including almost 400 guest rooms with a choice ranging from a room to a complete villa with staff. It is located about 15 minutes East of Montego Bay. The property is beautifully landscaped and maintained within an inch of its life. It has a large, friendly and very competent staff and offers a full range of resort hotel facilities including a first rate golf course and a very nice spa. The beach essentially runs the length of the resort, although good swimming is more limited due to a barrier reef just off shore - Sunset beach does not have this issue. There are a wide variety of dining choices on property and some good ones nearby.

So what is not to like? I think that hotel ratings should reflect the balance between cost and quality and we thought Half Moon pricey for what you get. The main dining room the sea grape offers a wonderful buffet breakfast, but the dinner was frankly pretty average. We also ate at the "Jamaican" restaurant and were disappointed, frankly it was a lousy meal. The best dining was at the Sugar Mill, which offered quite a nice dinner. Wine by the glass selections were disappointing. At the price of a room, we'd pay a little more for decent wine.

The rooms are quite nice, but for a luxury resort amenities in the rooms were just average. We had a junior suite, but the "sitting room" was not usable.

The golf course is just wonderful and friendly but quite challenging.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple