“Absolutely gorgeous!”

Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Naples, Italy
“Absolutely gorgeous!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed in one of the suites overlooking the beach, with huge bedroom/sitting area and enormous bathroom with jacuzzi bath and separate shower. A big balcony overlooking the beach with 2 sun beds, table and chairs. The staff/service was fantastic. The food was excellent (you can have dinner brought to your balcony and the staff lay the table with cloth, flowers, etc. We borrowed bikes to cycle around the vast site. There are numerous pools, tennis courts, spa, golf course and dolphins. Really loved our weekend there & highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the villas right on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tallthing
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for sharing your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed your accommodation, activities and resort amenities.

Again, thank you for choosing Hlaf Moon and for sharing your experience; we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home.

The Half Moon Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Worth it! Great value. Mountains in background. Caribbean Sea temperature perfecto! Luxurious clean accommodations. Get a package and it will be well worth your dollar. Spa is gorgeous and my massage outstanding!! Spa was world class- trust me. Spa pools are gorgeous!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Goodfood72
Dear Valued Guest,

It is always a pleasure receiving complimentary feedback from our valued clients. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share comments on your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor.

We are thrilled that your expectations were exceeded and you enjoyed the resort and its offerings.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests. We look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Half Moon for a wedding. Everything about the place was wonderfuL! We stayed in a villa with the bride and loved the food, service, view, private pool and golf carts. The resort is very large so there is no need to leave. I am usually adventurous and want to go explore what is around me, but there is so much to do at the resort I never felt the need.

The reason that makes me believe I will not be going back is something I learned on my last day there. The owner is a wealthy man from Colorado and the people that work at the resort get PAID $50 A WEEK! The cost to stay per night was somewhere around $250 a night and this was a deal since we had a discount for being with a wedding. Most rooms are even more.

This IS considered a good job in Jamaica, but it still gives me an unsettled feeling. Be sure you tip well if you stay here.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a large group splurge a little and get a villa. It is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor.

Half Moon is known for hosting beautiful and memorable weddings…we are happy that being a member of a wedding group you enjoyed your experience with us.

We regret that your memorable experience was marred on your last day as a result of the inaccurate information regarding our owners and the staff remuneration. On both instances you were misinformed as the owners for over 50 years do regard the Half Moon team and indeed Jamaica as their family and truly their home…they are not from Colorado; further our staff remuneration is in keeping with the Industry standards making Half Moon an Employer of choice.

Again, thank you for sharing your review; we trust you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back ‘home’ in the not too distant future and create another experience of a lifetime.

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The best part about the resort is the beautiful views, love that we could rent bicycles. I am also very happy with our room, except we could not get hot water. The rooms were cleaned regularly. I liked the bar on the beach. we were greeted very nicely. we also got a tour when we arrived. There is a lot to do for family and kids , but can get expensive. So this just the good part. The resort definitely did not feel like a 5 star place. First, the service was good only 50% of the time. Half of the staff were happy to see us, greeted us and gave great service. The other 50% of the time I felt as we were inconvincing the staff. The staff seemed very unfriendly and unapproachable. We went to eat at the Indian restaurant. The waiter only checked on us to give us drinks two times, then brought the dinner, and then finally the bill. He also got out order wrong, we were the only ones there. Then we went to get desert from the main restaurant by the lobby. That waiter was very moody. The only staff we found extremely happy were the golf cart drivers and our private tour guide. The problem is when you are given a bill, the tip is already included. The tip is shared by all the staff. So the staff doesn't have to go above and beyond to please you. I think this is so lame, the staff should have to work for their tip. The staff also need additional training on etiquette and other good quality training. Also, we saw staff just standing around, doing nothing or light work.

Now let,s let's talk about the food. I am rating only the breakfast buffet, Robby's kitchen, Prakash restaurant, and the sea grape rest. The food is very mediocre. It is equivalent to TGIF quality. My husbands steak was overdone and rubbery and the pizza I ordered reminded me of cafeteria pizza I use to have in elementary school (robby,s kitchen). Robby's kitchen smelled old and musty. The cheesecake was awful (seagrape). Everything else was just okay. The chicken tikka masala and rice (not basmati) were very odd and not tastey. The alu gobi was good. Having bad experiences at these restaurant made me not want to try the sugar mill and the Italian restaurant.

Also, if u don't have the all inconclusive package drinks bill will add up at the bar. I recommend going to the grocery store on sight and buying alcohol. They have variety of alcohol ( grey goose, rum, Smirnoff, etc.). They have great guava and pineapple juice to make your own drinks.

Finally, I will not return to this place. They really need to improve staff service and quality of their food. I spent over $1000 on food and drinks. Not happy about the food. Although the alcoholic drinks were great.

Room Tip: Room 45 is great for the price and location
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for visiting Half Moon, A RockResort and for taking the time to sharing your candid feedback on tripadvisor. Objective feedback from our guests is an integral part of our strategy to continuously improve our guest experience. Rest assured your comments regarding the areas that did not meet your expectations will be shared with the team and used asa tool to effect retraining nd improve areas of deficiency.

Your experience certainly does not reflect the high service standard and guest satisfaction for which Half Moon is renowned. We are truly a first-class resort, and our vast number of return guests is evidence that we generally succeed in satisfying our most discerning clients.

We sincerely apologise that we did not exceed your expectations,while you have indicated that you will not return to Half Moon, A RockResort, we hope you will reconsider this decision and give us an opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please feel free to contact me directly to assist with making the necessary arrangements.

Once again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and for your feedback.

San Jose, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is probably the 6 or 7 time we have visited the resort. We prefer it to the Ritz Carlton where we have stayed previously. We love the villas which have been refurbished. It is the most relaxing resort we visit. One of our main complaints is a certain amount of lack of detail with the service staff (I see Sandals GM every day watching for problems but I have no idea who the GM is!). They are inconsistent. One day they leave cream for coffee in the villa and the next day there isn't any. The refrigerator does not make ice so it is a relatively long wak to get so. Yes they will bring some relatively quickly but it is an annoyance. The wi fi is not very strong at the west end which again is a problem. However we prefer the Half Moon to Jamaica Inn because it is not pretentious. The food has improved but still not great.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is a bad room. We prefer I think it is west end villas on the beach. Anyway i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about another Half Moon a RockResort experience; it was certainly a pleasure serving you again. We thank you for your loyalty and patronage over the years.

We sincerely appreciate your candid feedback which is not only important, but it is critical to our continuous improvement.

Again, thank you for sharing your Half Moon experience on TripAdvisor. As always, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to your “home away from home” .

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just landed back in ny after 4 awesome days at half moon. I booked this trip at the last minute. Literally night before and was lucky enough to get Jodey on the phone to help me. She examined the property fully and recommended a few accommodation options. In the end we opted for an imperial suite in cottage 1. It was everything she said it would be and more!
My wife and I have stayed in Jamaica many time before at the Ritz, royal plantation, the caves, and couples swept away. This was without a doubt the best one by far and we will 100 percent return in the future. We felt this had the best balance of quiet and things to do when you want them. This 400 acre resort has everything from a place to swim with dolphins to an equestrian center and an impressive kids camp if you bring your children which we did not this time but will in the future.
In the evenings for happy hour there was a great reggae band. Frankly this was the best entertainment. I wish they played longer than an hour and a half. I think others felt the same way! At around 930 at night another band came on. This one while entertaining was a little odd. For one thing, they are set up facing the restaurant not the bar which is odd seeing the restaurant is closed at 10 and bar is open till 1am. The other odd thing is that they play like old 70's music. Having an authentic Jamaican band at night would be so much better then hearing old music I never even listened to when it was new. Everyone we talked to said the same thing. I think that slight change and facing them toward the bar would be a welcome change.
As for the room, it was awesome. Very large and even had a grand piano in it. These cottages are over 50 years old but from what we were told, they are renovated often. There were newer room and suites on another part of the property but the west cottages are by far the best location to stay. We had a pool out one side and the beach on the other. It was really paradise. Could they do a little more to make these rooms a bit more modern? Sure they could and really they should but that said I would 100 percent stay in the same place next time I come without hesitation.
For the food, we are at sea grape and the Italian restaurant. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant the best but both were good. Peppermint was closed for the season and we were to lazy to go to the white witch or Robbie's at the shopping village.
The staff was great. I would say that while there were a couple of exceptions as there are everywhere, 90 percent of the staff went above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable and no request was to much.
All in all, the best place we have been to in Jamaica. In addition to it being perfect in so many ways, it is also 10 minutes from the airport. Don't forget to ask for club mobay which gets you through customs and security in a special line when you are coming and leaving the island. We made it off the plane and to the beach in under 30m. Going home, it saved us a ton of time by cutting the security line right to the front. Well worth the money if you ask me.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ewrtravel
Dear Valued Guests,

The lovely comments regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was certainly a pleasure serving you, we are happy your experience exceeded your expectations.

We thank you for recognizing our dedicated team whose ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests. Your kind comments have been shared with Jodey from the Reservations Department. We do appreciate your candid feedback regarding the music, which has been shared with the team; we will certainly make some adjustments in that regard.

Again, thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor; it was a privilege serving you; we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you and your family to Half Moon, your “home away from home”.

Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We LOVED Half Moon! I very much recommend this property. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and we had a wonderful time. Housekeeping is AWESOME! If you are not sure about getting the all-inclusive package, I would do it. We didn't because we wanted to be able to experience Jamaica outside the resort, which was really great, but it would have been nice to not worry about food costs. They do have a couple grocery stores on property that you can take advantage of and you can definitely make it work, but if you eat in the restaurants often, it adds up quickly, especially with alcohol and other beverages. We loved riding the bikes around the property. It was our favorite activity! We really can't say enough good things about the property. It's so beautiful and such a great place to relax.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

The lovely comments shared on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It is a pleasure receiving positive feedback on not only the resort and its offerings, but our devoted team. Our ultimate goal is always to create an Experience of a Lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to post your review. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” soon