“Great time and still here.”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed March 7, 2008

We were only going to stay 4 nights but extended our trip another two nights. The hotel is exactly what we wanted and imagined a Carribean hotel would be. Very classy and open air architecture. The service has been great and the people are extremely friendly. Everyone shakes your hand or says hello as you go by. It's contagious. Quick run through of what we have done. Spa is great and really nice. There are a couple pools inside the spa area and we layed out and had lunch there one day and it was really nice. We also swam with the dolphins and it's a one in a lifetime exp. if you've never done it. Very pricey at $250 a person and then they get you on the pictures and video for about $130 total. Try to get someone else to take pics but it's truly a great memory and if you can afford it, do it. My wife took riding lessons and enjoyed it but couldn't hear the guy well so he ended up riding another horse and attaching himself to her horse so she could hear. I took a tennis lesson and the guy wore me out. The weight room is a little dated but plenty of weights and the fitness area is nice with plenty of machines. We also rented bikes and that's the way to go because the property is pretty big. It's 400 acres which is huge and that's one of the great things about this place. As for food we've had good meals everywhere but the best has been at the royal stocks. Byran was our waiter and he suggested this fish dish and it was steamed with lots of veggies. Really, really good and pretty cheap compared to rest of the resort. On Thursday nights they have a band outside and it's great atmosphere and the band was really good. The sugar mill was ok but nothing great. Seagrape is very nice because it's right on the water and the food is very good. The beach bbq is nice with lots of options. One negative is this place is pretty expensive but you can find cheap meals(royal stocks) and cheap drinks(comissary) if you try. I would highly recommend this place to anyone and we will definately come back. The service has been first class.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 11, 2008

We just came backe from a 5day stay at the hotel with a 5 year old.
The property is very nice, but too stretched out. Prepare to do a lot of walking or waiting for golf carts to give you a ride.
The hotel is overpriced. We stayed at the royal suite. It was very "dated". Old 19' TV. I have not seen them in much cheaper resorts. Turn-down service was done 50% of the time. You had to call to get mini-bar stocked.
The beach was so-so. Pools were o'k.
I cannot complain about food. Drinks were all premium liquors. Do not expect any entertainment or activities for kids or adults. The shopping village is a waist of time (most stores were empty or closed).
Overall, not a horrible experience. But, for this kind of money you can do much better in Jamaica.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ab2008
Reviewed February 11, 2008

First off, let me preface this by saying the postives of Jamaica:
1. Beautiful beaches and water
2. VERY friendly people-so much fun!
3. Quick flight from Chicago

Now, we've been to Jamaica 3 times, we enjoy it . . . but i have to say the service (even though they are so friendly and nice), is AWFUL! I don't know if it's the mentality down there-everyone is so laid back, or what, but don't expect anything less than 3 hour meals!

Half Moon is pretty-i recommend the Hibisicus Suites/Rooms-they are brand new and right on the ocean-the villas are much older.
But, whenever we went to breakfast, lunch and dinner-the service was HORRIBLE! Our drinks were never refilled, bread never came and our orders were practically forgotten. And, these were 300-400 dollar meals!
Very disappointed in that aspect.
We've stayed at RoundHill Resort before too (very high end/expensive also) and the service was very poor too! So, like I said, maybe that's just the "Jamaican Way" but boy, we were glad our young kids weren't with us b/c it would have been miserable eating!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bmdwillow
Reviewed February 9, 2008

This is a resort with a ton of history - and has lots of character. While very expensive and expansive, this is the place to go if you are looking for a different experience than the standard 5 star resort/hotel.

We stayed in a Villa with our own butler/maid/cook right on the beach. While the accomodations were dated and could use some refinishing, they were still very impressive.

Lots of activities and "space" to either mingle or get away from everyone.

The Hibiscus rooms and the Royal Suites would be the best places to stay if you can afford them.

People were extremely friendly ... we'll go back!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mgambro
Reviewed February 3, 2008

My husband surprised me with our honeymoon...I didn't know where we were going until the day of our wedding. Needless to say...he did a wonderful job picking out the Half Moon! It was a picture perfect resort. We had excellent service all around and enjoyed the fact that this was not a "party" resort...it was a place for us to relax and enjoy the beginning of our life together. I would (and have) recommened Half Moon for a honeymoon destination.

• Stayed: July 2004, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jnreneau
Reviewed February 1, 2008

A group of us went to Half Moon Resort in March for a long weekend away from the cold air in NJ. Perfect timing because we flew out in a snow storm. This place was spectacular. 5 star hotel in my mind. There were 3 couples traveling in total and we each got our own accommodations. My husband and I were upgraded from a regular room to an ocean front villa (I asked if we could get an upgrade and got it!). We were booked under the Good Life package which is basically an all inclusive package. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys food and cocktails (wine is excluded from the package).

The Beach was gorgeous. White sand beaches with beautiful blue water. The hotel has rafts/floats and snorkel gear available for anyone at no cost. We lucked out and had perfect, sunny, warm weather the entire trip and used the rafts everyday. There are so many pools to choose from here, as well, and our room had an individual pool to be shared with 3 other rooms in our building. So nice and private! There are two large pools by the lobby area - one lap pool and the other a sun bathing pool with swim up bar.

The restaurants are excellent. Something for everyone and the service is great. They also have a deal with a couple of restaurants in "the village" that you can eat there under our package, but the alcohol is not included. The village is small and worth going if you have a cloudy or rainy day and want to kill half an hour. The shops are minimal and the restaurants are ok (one is a pub and I believe the other was Indian).

The property is huge. Be prepared for that. The restaurants and bar are centrally located, but be prepared to walk. They do offer pick up service if you call the lobby. They will come get you in a golf cart and bring you anywhere on their property. As it turned out, the rest of our party (the 2 other couples) were on the complete opposite side of the property. I wish the front desk kept us together, but they didn't. Maybe it's because we requested an upgrade.

The buildings are 2 stories tall - nice and low, no elevators. The rooms are spacious and very clean.

This place has nannies to watch children (additional cost) and butlers for all the rooms (refreshing your frig and mini bar - all included in the good life package). I saw a lot of families here, but I did not see any organized activities for kids as an fyi. There weren't any activities for adults either, come to think of it. This place is about R&R and pampering.

We would all return here in a heartbeat. Wonderful staff and accommodations and mouthwatering meals. My only regret was not staying longer!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
9  Thank IrisheyesNJ
Reviewed January 29, 2008

While Half Moon is a beautiful resort....stunning really, it is not a kid friendly resort despite what you read. We were there with extended family Thanksgiving week and we had a total of nine kids. Yes, they do have horseback riding, rental bikes, and the dolphin encounter (which is so much fun), but that is it. Two of the families travel quite extensively in the Carribean with our kids and we both found it lacking in fun activities. Most resorts have tons of activities all day long for families to participate in. Not Half Moon. They didn't have any organized games or activities going on. It's fine if it's only adults. We travel to Jamaica once or twice a year and this was our first time staying at this resort. Would I stay there again? Not if I was bringing the kids and not if I was paying. It was way too expensive. We could of gone to a resort that was just as sophisticated with tons of activities for a whole lot cheaper. On Thanksgiving they wouldn't even let us in the buffet Thanksgiving dinner, because the boys had on shorts. Shorts! They are all kids. Yet, they were letting people walk in with flip flops, etc. When we pointed it out they agreed that they shouldn't have gotten in. I think we would of understood if we were at a different restaurant like the one the night before on the golf course where the boys did wear pants, but not the buffet restaurant. Not really catering to kids here. I also got really annoyed one day when I asked a watersports guy if they had beach toys (the gift shop was out of them). He said, no they didn't have any, but he had a friend that could rent them to me. Rent them? Like I said, we go to Jamaica at least one time a year, so we know the game. My husband then went and asked another watersport guy we had talked to the day before and he said, I'll be right back. He then brought us a ton of sand toys. That incident also left a bad taste in my mouth for this resort.

In summary, this is a stunning resort with impressive grounds, a huge range of room accomodations, and a great resort atmosphere. However, if you are looking for a family experience - this is not it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family