Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I visited Half Moon in April 2007 as part of a wedding party. It was absolutely the perfect setting for a wedding! Many of the guests were upgraded two to three levels.

I stayed in a Superior Room and opted for the Platinum Plan. I highly recommend that you take advantage of this offer if available! It is so nice not to have to worry about how much you are spending.

FOOD: I ate at the Seagrape Terrace, Sugar Mill, Beach BBQ, and Akbar restaraunts and usually ordered room service for breakfast. My favorite was Akbar. They had wonderful Indian and Asian food! Get the spring rolls- they were divine! Breakfast at Seagrape and what you order from room service are basically the same thing. You will save time in the long run if you just order from room service when you wake up. Take a shower and by the time you get out and dress, room service will be there.

SERVICE: Don't expect fast service. They will get you what you need, but they are definitely on "Jamaica-time." Everything moves at a much slower pace. We booked Seagrape Terrace for a bridesmaid luncheon and were there for what seemed like ages!

Overall, I loved my time at Half Moon,. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank gabbycat1077
Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed January 4, 2008

This is a little belated review because I got married at Half Moon in May of 2007. This was a dream come true of a place! They made my wedding spectacular. My husband and I had planned just to go for a vacation and then decided to get married there only a month before our trip. The wedding planners made it happen with no issues!! It was just my husband and I, and no guests, so it wasn't a big task, but they still made us feel special! We didn't want to leave this place! We are making it a tradition to go back on our anniversaries. This year we are going and taking my mom and dad. I know they will fall in love with it too!!
Thanks Half Moon for such a special sanctuary!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank aweaver
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I am a Fifth Year return customer! This will be my last year! Took the Family down for our annual trip. we expected great time and ended up with Rats in our Villa! NO refund offered whatosever, but an apology! This killed four good days of the vacation. We ended up leaving a few days early since the resort was fully commited and my children refused to sleep with Rats! I also found out that the poeple in the villa next to us had rats as well. We won't be back sorry to report.

Mr. Mag

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
21  Thank mrnewyork34
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Just got back from 4 night stay. We thought service was very good. Not on top of you which we don't like and which may be why people used to "Ritz" type service sometimes complain. It is still a bit offseason so I can not say what service would be like at a busier time. People were extremely friendly. Food was good to very good. We booked a superior room which I believe is generally in the Oleander area (new and very nice but not all with ocean view) but were put in a West Cottage suite right on the water. Not sure if this was a one level or two level upgrade but it certainly colored our experience. Some could nit pick that it is somewhat dated and some doors and drawers did not work so well but it did not bother us. Rather be on the beach in a bigger dated room than have a garden view in a newer room. We have been to Caneel Bay and loved that hotel and also were upgraded to a room right on the beach, but this room was bigger and nicer. The beach is very nice and long. Lots of places to sit. Good life package is a great deal. Weather was not great as it was unusually windy and there were some annoying pockets of rain.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jsfcbf
Reviewed December 11, 2007

We attended a wedding at Half Moon, and made a family vacation out of it. We stayed in the Royal Villas. Our trip and experience was a mixed bag, with great highlights and some lows. The resort is enormous, with vast beaches throughout. Each villa has two golf carts, to get from one end of the resort to the other end (where some of the wedding party were) takes about 15 minutes drive in the cart. The condition of the buildings varies from newly renovated to desperately in need of renovation. Our villa staff were pleasant, but sometimes slow. We had to remind the maid to empty our laundry hamper and wash the clothes, after it was filled for 3 days. We saw a cockroach in our bed room. Our villa pool was convenient but got lots of debris and bugs in it every day, but the pool cleaner was there daily. A piece of glass above the door to the pool patio fell down and shattered from strong wind, but honestly it was already cracked and should have been replaced long before (serious safety hazard). There are significant renovations throughout the grounds, including a new paved road to the royal villas passing the equestrian beach. The two commissaries have limited and mildly overpriced food; there is not much selection, so the villa cook only has a few items to work with. The West Cottages are right on the beach, and some are undergoing major renovations, which look very good.

The beaches were nice when the wind was not strong, but for half our stay, there were strong winds, resulting in warning flags along the beaches. During the calm days, the water was clear, and I saw decent sea life snorkeling along the beach, especially behind Oleander Terrace, which has artificial barriers off the shore. Definitely carry beach towels if you head out, since you may not find any clean ones later in the day. If you ask a staff member to find a clean beach towel, they usually can. There is some garbage on the beaches and grounds that you would think they would be a little more diligent about; I saw staff raking the beach sand, but leaving behind some large pieces of garbage. Some of the beaches are extremely rocky, plus there is some garbage underwater (bottles, bags, metal), so be careful where you step.

We ate at Royal Stocks (the pub) which was good, as well as Scotchies, which had great BBQ pork and chicken for ~$5 USD. The rest of the time we had the cook prepare simple meals at our Villa and ate with the wedding party. Sunrise beach was nice since it was more private, but has fewer amenities. Sunset beach is a bit more protected and it by the main lobby. There are plenty of beaches and pools throughout the resort, more than we even were able to use. I used the tennis courts, where the courts are free, but the cans of balls are $8 USD, as is a racquet rental. We did the Dolphin Lagoon, which was fun and educational. This resort is huge, with good activities, plenty of beaches and pools. We purchased a few souvenirs from the Straw Shop in the Arcade.

The West Cottages, Royal Court, Oleander Terrace and premium Royal Villas get my vote as the best rooms, since they are directly on the beach, with private pools. Royal Villas do not get room service. West Cottages have no full kitchens, just a mini bar, and no golf carts included. The condition of some of the pools, roads, buildings and facilities just looked "tired".

The Half Moon staff were also a mixed bag. People in the wedding were repeatedly offered "stuff" by certain staff members. Some staff make you feel like they are only working you for a tip, and they make it blatantly obvious; these few staff do not understand that a nice tip is to be earned with as little as a smile, and they downgrade the entire experience, this kind of staff behavior is improper; luckily most of the resort staff are not like that. Our Royal Villa staff were pleasant and friendly. Security guards were plentiful and generally attentive. One of the bar staff at the wedding event was extremely rude, other than that service was good, but definitely as a whole they could use some customer service training. The wedding event itself was fantastic, and well-organized. It was a fun trip and Half Moon is a nice place, with a bit more staff effort, completed building/road/beach renovations and attention to detail they could be a legit 4-star resort. Equally holding back Half Moon's potential are some physical amenities (worn-out, broken, not clean, unsafe) and some less than enthusiastic staff members.

The only way I would ever consider a return visit would be if I had a friends or family reunion, I might rent out a whole beach front villa, insist that the villa be recently renovated, and I would request the same villa staff we had this trip. More likely, I would look elsewhere in the Caribbean, unless Half Moon got a major makeover in the areas I pointed out.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank puddlejump
Reviewed December 10, 2007

We really wanted to love Half Moon. Our trip started off great - we were upgraded to a Royal Suite, bellman was very kind, caddies on the golf course were outstanding - we essentially received private lessons throughout the 18 holes. Negatives: service, food (we were on the plantum plan and joked that we would over order just to ensure that we'd wind up liking something - ate at every restaurant), drinks (mixed drinks were "off" and bland), snorkeling/scuba and horseback riding were cancelled for 3 out of our 4 days at Half Moon. We wouldn't find out until the last minute. The new spa was nothing special and overpriced. The temperature of the hot tub was either scolding hot or cold.
Although we booked the plantum plan, we still feel as though they tried to get us coming and going. The restaurant prices are monopoly prices. I've stayed at many luxury resorts where the prices were inflated but this was obscene. If you're not on a meal plan, it would be really offensive.

I can't begin to imagine the prices in the high season.

The resort was empty but overflowing with staff. You would think they'd go overboard in the service area - not the case.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank droses
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Half Moon's website does not in any way reflect the conditions at the resort. We stayed in a villa and were literally miles from a beach. Getting to the beach required taking an ancient and very slow golf cart down a dirt road filled with mud and potholes. The beach is very small compared to other Carribean resorts and was littered with garbage. We encountered exposed electrical wires. There is NO wait staff on hand to offer bar drinks to beach-goers. The food in the restaurant is barely edible, and way overpriced. The service is non-existent. We waited at least 90 minutes for our breakfast.

There was no hot water in our villa and our room flooded after a pipe broke. The tile on the bathroom floor was chipped and the grout which was originally white was stained black after years of inadequate cleaning. Staff are openly using drugs and will offer to get you some if you so much as look in their direction. We also observed one gardener urinating into the ocean in broad daylight.

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. Save your money.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business