“Superb property, though more Fantasyland than Jamaica”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Half Moon is not the sort of place I typically would stay when traveling to a foreign country, and not the sort of place I've stayed in previous trips to Jamaica--I stayed here because it had been selected as the site of a business meeting. I generally prefer to stay in accomodations that will enable me to sample the local culture if and when I choose to do so, rather than resorts that are walled off from rest of the country. If you are in the latter category, though, the Half Moon would be an outstanding choice for you--it is a fabulous resort for those who are interested in a relaxed, beautiful, and luxurious Carribean "resort" experience.

This is a HUGE property--probably more than a mile from one end to the other, mostly running along the edge of the sea. On one end is the main hotel building, and I stayed on the other end, in one of the "villas," which are large houses with a common area, dining room, kitchen, and private pool, each with 7 guest rooms that share the common areas.

Each villa is assigned its own full-time butler, housekeeper, and cook. If you want your cook to prepare meals for you, she will--you have to buy the ingredients and bring them to her, and she does the rest. The resort has a couple of small, limited-inventory food stores (or "commissaries" as they call them) where you can purchase the ingredients, and though the prices are inflated they aren't absurd. Our cook was excellent--which isn't surprising, I guess, since it seems that pretty much EVERYONE in Jamaica is an excellent cook! You can also make arrangments to have a van pick you up and take you to a local supermarket off the property (there are apparently not many options within easy walking distance) if you want to purchase a wider range of food at the reasonable local prices, but they charge a lot (around US$40) for this service. The butler will make whatever other arrangments you want, and the housekeeper, in addition to cleaning your room, can do laundry, ironing, and the like for you.

Each villa comes with 2 golf cart style electric transports for the guests of that villa to share in getting around the property. Considering the size of the property and how widely-dispersed the amenities are, this is very nice--otherwise, you would spend your whole day just walking from one thing to the other.

Those staying in the main hotel and other non-villa accomdations, of course, do not have the options I just mentioned, such as a cook and other personal staff.

There are at least 4 restaurants on the property as well. All are quite good, and one of them, the Prince of Wales pub, is fairly reasonably priced, the others would seem overpriced even in Manhattan, let alone in a place like Jamaica. You are pretty much a capitive audience at the Half Moon, because there do not appear to be any nearby dining options off the property in this relatively remote location--if you want to eat in a restaurant, you would have to arrange transportation into Montego Bay (about 7 km away) or somewhere else between the resort and the city. Considering that you could spend 10 bucks and get a great meal at a locally-owned restaurant in town, it seems unfair to charge 4 or 5 times that much (or more) to their captive guests in most of the restaurants on the property. And the bigger omission, in my mind, is that there are basically no options on the property for traditional Jamaican food--you can get Thai food, Indian food, British pub grub, Italian, and traditional European food, but not much in the way of Carribean-themed food. It's easy to find Italian or Thai food at home, but it isn't easy to find jerk pork, ackee & saltfish, or the other delicious traditional Jamaican items one wants to have when traveling in Jamaica--and you won't really find it at the Half Moon either, unless you're staying in a villa and can have your cook make it for you. I noticed that the nearby Ritz-Carlton Resort, for example, has a jerk shack on the beach that its guests can get food from--the Half Moon would be better if it did the same.

There's really not much to suggest that you're in Jamaica--if you were magically dropped there from the sky and didn't know where you were, you might guess that it was Hawaii, Cancun, Florida, or some other tropical location--the only thing quintessentially Jamaican about the place is the staff members' accents. That can be good or bad, depending on your wants or needs, I guess--the service is great, unlike the more relaxed service typical in the islands, and you won't have even one person pestering you to buy wood carvings or trinkets while you're trying to relax on the beach, offering to braid your hair, trying to sell you ganja, or begging for change. Some may prefer a more traditional island experience, of course.

Having said all of that, the property is beautiful, the beaches and pools are nice, and the staff is friendy and highly professional. My villa room was spacious, though it's getting to the point where it probably needs a little more physical maintenance (toilet handle needed to be jiggled sometimes, some tiles are cracked, etc.). The bed isn't the most luxurious or comfortable, but it wasn't bad. Of course, this place is still off the scale when it comes to most non-resort accomodations in Jamaica, so these are very minor complaints.

All in all, if you're looking for the resort experience and don't mind paying for it, and aren't interested in experiencing the local scene and local culture, you will be very, very happy here.

Room Tip: The villas give you the option of having a personal cook prepare whatever meal you want, whenever yo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cyberluddite

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Spent two weeks in an ocean front Royal Villa in August and we all had a fantastic time. Kirk and his team were amazing and exceeded all of our expectations. Staying in a Villa means you decide what sort of experience you have whether it be fine dining or pool side BBQ. All you have to do is decide what you want and the Villa Staff do the rest in a highly professional and discreet way. We cannot recommend this highly enough.

The resort is magnificent - nothing else on the Island compares to it. It's huge and the accommodation is widely spread. Compare this to the huge resort buildings popping up all along the coast and you will see that Half Moon is unique.

The resort is not cheap and other reviewers have commented on this. It is however very high quality and the Dining venues are first rate. Also the Commisary on site (the Hotel One not the Village One) is well stocked and and reasonably good value.

Room Tip: Royal Villas are great - Ocean Front are the best. Orleander Rooms are also fantastic and are all v...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank seawind10
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed not only your Royal Villa accommodation but other offerings of the resort.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to your home-away-from-home soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I stayed at Half Moon while there on business for an incentive trip - mid March. Since we didn't choose the resort ourselves, we were MORE THAN SURPRISED when we arrived. This resort is full of charm and warmth. If you're looking for a vacation that is laid back and you want to be waited on hand and foot, this is your spot. The food was wonderful as well. The grounds are beautifully manicured and you can't go wrong with ANY of their accommodations - whether it's one of their suites, cottages, or villas. Didn't play golf there but the restaurant at the golf course was wonderful. My biggest concern is that it is quite pricy, and since my client paid for it, I didn't feel the sting - but boy, was I appreciative!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sunlovergodfrey

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely note about your stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We’re happy your stay was all you anticipated.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to Half Moon again in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and I just returned from an 8 day stay at Half Moon. While there are many other islands I prefer to Jamacia, Half Moon was a very good resort. We went in mid-October (13-21)...the time of year we always travel - anniversary...which always puts us OUT OF SEASON. Normally not a problem, unless you stay at 2 of the worst places we've ever stayed (Long Bay - Tortola and Plaza Resort - Bonaire)...where out of season results in very poor service.

Not really the case here, but they JUST Missed on a few small things (a result of being out of season) that causes me too mark them down just a bit.

OUTSTANDING:
1. The Staff - extremely friendly, helpful, nice-->truly felt welcomed
2. The Jr Suite - exceptional, beautiful, comfortable, great view, small courtyard pool
3. Cleanliness - people always raking, washing, sweeping, dusting -> the place was immaculate.
4. Pools were beautiful - actually had a 50 yard lap pool + everyone's favorite - a swim-up bar.
5. At some resorts, they all but ration out beach towels - not here...take as many as you need...all day.
6. Plenty of comfortable beeach lounges and plenty of places to escape from the sun when you've had enough - shade from Palm trees.
7. Dolphins - extremely cool - if you do nothing else, just go watch them...very impressive staff there too.

GOOD:
1. The food was excellent BUT---> only 2 of the four restaurants were open ---> Seagrape = good food but they never changed the menu for all 8 days (B,L,D). The second restaurant = Il Giardino ---> good, but only open on 2 days with same menu. The BEST restuarant closed - Sugar Mill...we were looking forward to having great dinner there for our anniversary.
2. Beach was nice..there were other "tripadvisor" comments about the seagrass in the water...yes there was some - but they had plenty of places to swim where there was none!

JUST MISSED:
1.. They had a manager's cocktail party, but we never got the word...never got an invitation....even 2nd tier resorts send an invite to your room...
2. They adverise afternoon tea with finger sandwiches. pastries -> never happened!
3. It is a huge property, they should given us a tour, so we'd know our way around...most places drive you around in a golf cart to familiarize you with the resort .. it took us 5 days to find the commisary
4. Shopping Mall - forget it...most shops not open

SO - we had a great time and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly...we've had the priviledge of traveling all over the Caribbean, so I'm sure some of my negative comments seem petty...BUT this is such a nice place that with just a little attention to detail and the availability of the Sugar Mill restaurant - this would have rated a "5" with us.

also did not get a chance to play golf...looks like a nice course
Might re-think October too - it rained the first 2 days and we were told "Oh, October is the rainy month"....WE DID HAVE 6 BEAUTIFUL DAYS THOUGH....

IF YOU GO IN SEASON - I BET IT'S GREAT...OUT OF SEASON, IT MISSED BY JUST A LITTLE! STILL LOVED THE PLACE.

Room Tip: all rooms are exceptional...just make sure you get one with water view!!!
2  Thank MJBDTCARIBBEAN
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure having you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripAdvisor. Your candid feedback is much appreciated; we apologize for the “JUST MISSED” areas of your experience, however, we are happy you enjoyed several “OUTSTANDING” areas.

Again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and for your comments, it was a privilege serving you; we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

My fiance and I stayed here for 7 wonderful days in a royal suite with a private pool. It was just the most wonderful vacation we've had and we travel a lot! Prior to our stay, the Epic in Miami was our only return to hotel, and now we've added Half moon to the list.

The staff is wonderful! Fitzergerald the bartender and Oneil in in-room dining went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was perfect. Bernice in housekeeping, thank you for taking such good care of us. The food is excellent with a selection of local fares to satisfy those who just wants to eat local food. My only complaint is that it there is not enough local fruits available.

All in all, we can't wait for our next visit. Thank you Denneva, it really was a time for reflection and this was the perfect location for it.

Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was certainly a pleasure to have you as our guests; we are happy your experience was all you anticipated

We thank you for your comments regarding our staff whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, we thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor; it was a privilege serving you and we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you to your “home away from home”.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

I have been going to the Half Moon since I was a little girl in 1982 and have to say of all my travels, the Half Moon is a true gem. The 400 acres of rolling, lush landscaping, crystal waters and phenomenal activities create the perfect vacation experience. We were fortunate to spend three weeks every summer in a Royal Villa and some of my most cherished memories have been made there. I have sent several friends and family there and they all agree- it is a magical place. What makes it so terrific is the wonderful staff and I'm happy to hear they are no longer under the management of their former tyrant and that their new owners have made terrific improvements. We are returning for my 40th birthday next February and I can't wait!!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a suite. We always stayed in 183 and 184 and the private kitchen is ter...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely note about your stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. It was a pleasure serving you again. We’re happy your stay was all you anticipated and as always, we look forward to welcoming you to your home-away- from-home soon and to share in your special occasion.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I just spent 8 AMAZING days at Half Moon. We honestly could not have asked for more from the resort. As someone who uses customer reviews before booking any trip, I have never actually written a review before. However, it would simply be a disservice to all of the wonderful people who helped us at the hotel not to write one. With that in mind, here are a couple of details from our truly 5 Star stay that we would like to share.

We booked one of the all inclusive packages which included food, drinks, alcohol, mini bar, green fees, horseback riding, bike rental, transfers to and from the hotel and much more. When we arrived at the airport, we went through customs and were quickly whisked off to the resort. Mr. Watson greeted us upon arrival and brought us a welcome Jamacian punch while we checked in. To our GREAT surprise, we were upgraded to an oceanfront Hibiscus suite where we walked just a few feet from our patio to the ocean which was simply breathtaking.

In terms of the activites, we highly recommend the horseback beach ride. You actually swim with the horses which was an unbelievable experience! I have swam with dolphins which is unique in itself, but it was crazy to swim with these large and graceful animals. We highly recommend it! For all of you golfers, Half Moon's course is challenging but enjoyable. We were always treated like family and caddy Kevin helped our games tremendously. We also enjoyed cocktails at the 19th hole as well as pizza at the Prince of Wales Pub. Additionally, we spent half a day on bikes checking out the entire property taking various pictures of the beautiful landscape the resort had to offer followed by a 80 minute massage at the Fern Tree Spa. This is a must as the people were wonderful, the massage left us relaxed as we enjoyed two pools, the sauna, the steam room, and the other various amenities the Spa had to offer.

For those who are at the resort to lounge, definitely check out the swim up bar. Donnie and Dale whipped up some great cocktails. And I would be remiss if we didn't mention Caswell at the main bar. We had some great conversations, learned a lot about the Jamaican culture and certainly had a few (okay maybe more) cocktails!

One thing I couldn't find in the reviews was whether the all inclusive package was truly all inclusive or one of those bait and switch packages. I am here to tell you that when the resort says all inclusive it really means all inclusive. We ate and drank like royalty with 3 course meals that would otherwise cost a fortune. And one of the best parts of the all inclusive plan was that room service was included with the exception of a $5 delivery fee which we hardly minded paying while sitting comfortably in our room or on our private patio overlooking the ocean. O'Neill and Christopher took excellent care of us! In fact, we were vacationing to celebrate our anniversary and not only did we get a lovely handwritten note from the manager, but also a special anniversary cake.

Thank you Half Moon for a great vacation! We look forward to our next trip!

Sincerely, The Storms

3  Thank Suzanne S

Dear Valued Guests,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed your accommodation, activities and resort amenities - the horseback swim ride is among the many activities our guests enjoy.

We thank you for your comments regarding our staff whose ultimate aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to welcoming you to your home-away-from-home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!