“Best Greathouse”

and up
Greenwood Great House Tour from Montego Bay and Grand Palladium
Ranked #13 of 75 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Built during an era of elegance and brutality, Greenwood has retained the atmosphere of the 19th century and continues to capture the imagination of its visitors. The house was built by the Barretts of Wimpole Street London in 1800. Unique among local plantation houses, Greenwood survived unscathed during the slave rebellion of Christmas 1831. It still has most of its original furniture including the largest and rarest collection of musical instruments and books in the island.
jensen beach, florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Best Greathouse”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Wow, this was really and experience. I had been to many great houses before, but this one is by far the best kept and has the most memorabilia from the Plantation era. The owners (who are also your hosts) are a teriffic couple with so much knowledge. It is not contrived and the view from upstairs to see the bend of the earth is truly amazing. My only complaint was that it was too short.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank cjcushnie

Los Angeles, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Going back in time...”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Having known the previous owner, the late John Binns, many moons ago, and having a past association to this place before it was turned into a commercial enterprise, I was compelled to go there, whilst on my recent trip to Jamaica, to reconnect with past memories and to see what alterations, if any, had been made. In his day, Mr. Binns had converted the outer buildings into bungalows for rental; but they have since been reclaimed, and are now a part of the tour; in particular, the kitchen. The place, itself, is still every bit as intriguing as I remember it from my youth. With maturity, I was now able to see some of the objet d’art and antiquities with new eyes, and a fresh appreciation of their historical and artistic significance.

The old great-house, stands proudly on a hill, with a commanding view of the Caribbean, from its upper verandah. It was very hot, and somewhat stuffy, as we toured throughout the house, mid-afternoon (the wrong time of day to visit), but the sea breeze from the verandah, was oh so sweet! Needless to say, we spent quite a while there, drinking in the panoramic splendour from this vantage point, which is simply breathtaking, and getting rejuvenated by nature’s delightful air-conditioning.

Most of Greenwood’s eclectic contents are antiques of European origin, although there are a few pieces of Chinoiserie included throughout. As I recall, although a lot of the items originated from the Moulton-Barrett era, many pieces in the collection were acquisitions of the previous owner. Of the furniture, some of the period pieces are clever and unique in their design, provoking one’s curiosity and interest. In addition, it contains a vast array of museum-quality musical pieces. Many of these are still in working order, and the guide will play them for you. This assemblage, alone, would make a visit worthwhile if you are a music historian. There are also the requisite relics of the plantation era and slavery.

On the downside:

As a lover of art, this was the one component of the tour that I found lacking, and even somewhat confusing. Most of the paintings and prints are uninspiring, some bearing no relevance to the house’s heritage. For instance, there is an awful portrait of the current owner of the house, prominently displayed in one of the main salons, which I found to be very distracting, and it definitely detracted from all the historical pieces within. Rendered in a contemporary style, it stood out like a sore thumb!

The narration that the tour guide provided, although informative and educational, was obviously scripted, overly-rehearsed, and enunciated to an extreme excess; so much so, that it made her seem to appear robotic! My party and I discussed this afterwards, and concurred that her delivery, being so unnatural and over-the-top, actually made us cringe in discomfort at times…think of your reaction to really bad acting.

At the end of the tour, we were led back into the old kitchen, which is now treated as a reception area, as well as an adjoining area set up with tables and chairs for possible refreshments (?). To tell the truth, we never stuck around to find out, even though my friend had offered to treat us, because the lady of the house was in the midst of bickering, audibly, with her husband, and our known presence did not deter her rant. This I felt was very unprofessional and disrespectful of her. Not a good way for us to end the tour, since witnessing this embarrassing display left us all with a sour after-taste which lingered.

With that said, would I recommend this place? Probably yes. If you are a history buff, Greenwood is rich with it, and will illuminate you to a bygone era of Jamaica in its heyday of sugar production, when the plantation owners lived in grandeur, and slavery existed. However, I feel that, starting from the very top, the people there need to re-examine how they appear to their patrons. Were it not for this factor, the attraction would have received the top rating from me!

3 Thank Mi-Irie-Mon
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Elizabeth Barrett Browning”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

As an English teacher, I found this to be simply fascinating. I sat on an old bench for a little while and wondered how peaceful it must have been for her to construct some of the most beautiful poetry here...

3 Thank Razzberri
Wales uk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Greenwood Greathouse, and fabulous trip to Kingston (driver Ashton)”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This year we had a brilliant trip to Negril, it being our 8th visit. We've previously done all of the 'touristy' excursions and wanted something different. I met a guy called Ashton on last year's trip who took me to the Cambio - he was a real gent! I kept his card and decided to use him this trip. I rang him and he quoted me a brilliant price to go to Greenwood Great House. We also took a trip around Montego Bay and Falmouth. That was a great day out. We then arranged to go to Kingston a couple of days later. As promised Ashton picked us up at 8 a.m. prompt and off we set in his van, which is clean and comfortable. Ashton's knowledge of the surrounding areas is truly impressive. We went through the mountains and had numerous 'comfort breaks' - we visited Trench Town, Studio One, The Bob Marley Museum, The National Sport Stadium and Devon House. Ashton showed us places of interest along the way, making it a fantastic trip all round. He also took us to his family's Fine Furniture Business where we were introduced to his Aunt. I cannot recommend Ashton highly enough; not only is he a really nice guy, his prices are so reasonable and we felt completely safe at all times. Needless to say, we will use Ashton on all future trips! Check him out on his website Artconcepent.tours@yahoo.com

3 Thank Regsmudge
Frome, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“One of the best things on the island”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Jamaica isn't well endowed with historical buildings, especially given its turbulent past. So we were keen to visit Grenwood Great House.

It didn't disappoint. Unlike many properties I've seen, this one has a huge number of original artefacts relating to the original owners. Many pieces are unique, and most are distinctive.

Negatives would include the female owner's lack of warmth (her husband is however much more approachable); and for an estate that employed 2,000 slaves, there are very few references to this extraordinary chapter in the island's history.

Overall, this is one of the best things on the island to visit,

2 Thank notsosad