“Touristy garbage” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Montego Bay Sightseeing and Shopping Tour
Ranked #16 of 72 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Strip malls and hotels line this busy street.
Baltimore
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Touristy garbage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

Junk, all of it, and all for a $60 cab ride to and from my hotel. I love shopping but was ready to leave ther hip strip after about 10 minutes. Most of the items being sold were made in china type garbage and were way overpriced. I saw many of the same t shirts and hats and trinkets at my hotel gift shop and at the Shops at Rosehall for a lot less, sometimes half the price. The bottle of Blackwells rum I was looking for I wad told sold for $70. Airport duty free had it for $33. High pursue sales, rip off prices. Go to the Shops at Rosehall. No pressure to buy, some stores carried many of the same items and the prices were better. And most of the resorts have a free shuttle.

8 Thank fink369

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
sfo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I-drive in orlando and hipstip in montegobay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

last week i was in Orlando with my family and need some basic things and walk down to the nearest Walgreen from my hotel on international drive(i-drive) , i find out it is the most expensive walgreen in united states of America. spice world on hip strip (Gloucester avenue) Montego Bay is a way lot better and prices are very reasonable you can find all your general needs there and the staff is very friendly and will give you very quick response and they have best price on 100% blue mountain coffee don't forget to stop, ask you taxi drive, he will get you there.
one love

2 Thank bsuSfo
Seattle
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Safe, well-patrolled, touristy.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Jamaica in general, and the "Hip Strip" in particular, have a reputation for being overrun with hustlers. Just returned a week ago, I did not find that to be the case at all. We got hassled by hustlers far more downtown than we ever did on Gloucester Ave. There were tourist police about every 50 meters or so, maybe less. They patrol not only in the commercial section of the street, but in the parks and near the public beach as well. The only hustlers were legitimate business people, taxi drivers, shop keepers, etc., constantly asking for your business, but it's no big deal, they're just making a living. In our four days there only once were we offered drugs. For Jamaica, that's astounding.

I found it all a little too touristy, for the most part there was nothing in the Hip Strip stores I wanted to buy. Stay away from Spice World Market on the north end of the street; the owners are a couple of ethnic Indians who will miss no opportunity to try to rip you off.

9 Thank rkuef

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“My Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2003

I'm just in love with this Islsnd. I was introduced to Jamaica at a early age , but did not go there until I was in my 20's. One of the first places I was taken to was the pelican Grill, which is on the gloucester Ave. Which is now called the hip strip. You can find alot to do down on the hip strip. Margaritaville for the young at heart. and across the street you can gamble and listen to a live band or stand outside on the outside upstairs landings and look up and down the hipstrip. you can go down a little further and there is the hurrican club. and if you don't want to be right on the strip , you can go to pier1 where they have good food and a good night life if you like reggae. But way else would you be there if you don't go dance to the beat. To me the hipstip is one of Jamaica's places to see when you are there,you are for sure to find some thing to do. Llittleles

38 Thank A TripAdvisor Member