“busy road and locals pushy”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hip Strip

and up
Montego Bay Sightseeing and Shopping Tour
Ranked #17 of 74 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Strip malls and hotels line this busy street.
Simcoe, Ontario
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“busy road and locals pushy”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

locals can be pushy, They all sell the same products so you have to know how to negotiate prices with them.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank luvt0travel62

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Odense, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overcharged at "Cigar Club"”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Got overcharged $2,000jmd and didn't realize until I was on the plane. Probably a good idea to check goods before leaving stores.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank 198Coolie
Mold, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“scary”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

this was a very scary and intimidating road, 2 local men tried to get money from us because they showed us into a bar, they then followed us saying your safe with us but give us $20 each ! my bloke is quite big and intimidating and his words scared them off, we went swiftly back to the hotel ...

3 Thank Popsickles
Reston, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“The Strip Has Lost Its Hip”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Jamaica has been my destination of choice for the past 14 years; I've visited the island 8 times since 2000 visiting Montego Bay 5 times and 3 times to Negril. Prior to this trip, my last time in MoBay was in July 2008. However, I just got back from a quick getaway to MoBay for my birthday and for the first time in 14 years I was sorely disappointed. I stayed at one of my favs, Toby's Resort and the hospitality, as always, was superb so no complaints there. However, Breezes closed their Montego Bay location in 2009 and its definitely had a negative ripple effect on Gloucester Avenue. Many of the shops that depended upon the volume of tourists provided by Breezes have been shut down. The Cool Runnings cafe was closed and converted to a Harley Davidson store. There's a new BBQ/Sports Bar called Biggs (they inherited the Cool Runnings bobsled) which was pretty good (separate review) but just seemed out of place. The Native is closed. The intimate little shopping center next to Breezes where I used to go for an outdoor breakfast of banana pancakes and fresh pineapple juice; closed. Even the shops in front of the old resort were closed. I went to my favorite cologne store and the owner sadly informed me the company that makes "Jamaican Island Spyce" cologne (the only thing I still buy there) had gone out of business. They've reopened Cornwall Beach, but it's only two acres and used primarily for booze cruises and to entertain the cruise ship crowd when they dock in MoBay. There was noticeably very minimal street activity and liveliness even at night. The Groovy Grouper at Doctors Cave Beach has been replaced by Sand Restaurant and Bar and it was not up to par of it previous incarnation (separate review). Even the locals seemed to be missing as evidenced by THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME IN JAMAICA WHERE NO ONE, I REPEAT NO ONE, TRIED TO SELL ME WEED???? It was just really disappointing as an afficianado of this wonderful gem in the Carribbean to see it go down so much over the years. It's back to Negril next year.

6 Thank WBNVA
Northern Ontario, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Deceiving shopping”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Went out on the Hip Strip a couple of times. Felt alittle uneasy as the veneers get a little pushy. We wanted to support the locals directly, which was difficult to justify as all the shops on the strip are owned by East Indians. Don't get me wrong they were good and friendly, just unexpected. We bought some souvenirs. I recommend finding an actual local market.

2 Thank Ridler36