“Not great but can get good souvenirs if you price shop”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hip Strip

and up
Montego Bay Sightseeing and Shopping Tour
Ranked #17 of 74 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Strip malls and hotels line this busy street.
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not great but can get good souvenirs if you price shop”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The strip itself is not that exciting, you NEED to know how to say "No, thank you" and then you won't be hassled as much. Don't ignore, just acknowledge and politely decline. If you can make it down far enough, there is a shop called "Smile Jamaica" that was actually quite nice. Very pricy for certain things (coffee especially) but there is a sign out front for tshirts that were 7 for $20. Funny thing is that when you ask about them, they apologize and say "only kids tshirts, adults are 6 for $20". 6 tshirts for $20 was a pretty great deal if you ask me! We bought those, a shot glass, a hat and a lighter for less than what a single shirt would have cost elsewhere! Make sure you ask about all the prices and haggle if you can. We asked about a hat and were told $5, then at the front the man tried to charge us $15, so we went to put it back and he said he'd give for $5. Plus- they had A/C!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Kim D

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
KANSAS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“AWFUL.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

aka ( THE HIP STRIP) nothing positive about strolling down this road of merchants who sale mostly souvenirs /trinkets aimed at tourist and these merchants know with out you saying anything that u are a tourist versus being a local.. i was not wearing any clothing that would from usa.. not a professional sports team, or college gear.. yet these merchants know u are a tourist and once they know that u will be ask by each merchant u pass to come into their stores with what they have to offer...

it borders on harassment and some of the merchants are very relentless.. and don't even think of crossing the street to escape the torment.. it's filled with merchants on both sides of the street.. i was going to the local burger king which is at the end of gloucester ave. and as i was passing my last merchant...

. the dread locked merchant held his hand like he was smoking a cigarette to his mouth asked me if i wanted some smokey smoke ( and he was not referring to cigaretts .

that was the last straw 4 me and even though the burger king we where going to was in walking distance, i flagged down one of the local taxis and went on to my destination

Visited June 2013
1 Thank targetguy
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Be prepared to be harassed”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

There are loads of souvenirs shops (mostly owned by Indians but using Jamaican touts) and 1 flee market. From what I saw, they mostly all sell the same stuff: cheap tourist souvenirs. Be prepared to be harassed!

No prices are written down, you have to ask! Use your common sense as their opening prices are _ridiculous_! I was asked 15 US $ for a plastic bracelet, I got it for 3.5$. I was asked for 35 US $ per bracelet at the flee market; I got 2 for 10.

There are a few restaurants and bars but I did use them as I was all inclusive at my hotel.

There is a nice but small park where the local meets.

I was asked twice if I wanted some "smoke" (read it as marijuana) which I declined. They quickly moved on.

There are a lot of tourist wardens in colonial uniform (which are fun to look at) but not sure what their role is.

Visited May 2013
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Not Bad....”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My fiance and I came here as part of a $16 shopping trip from our resort. We visited three shopping areas and this was one of them.

We weren't hassled much at all. One store owner came out and asked us to come in to her store, but with a firm and polite "no thank you!" she didn't say one more word. At the shops we did go into--we were treated very well and the people were very friendly. We stopped at Tropical Treasures and two other stores nearby. We bought blue mountain coffee (that was priced at $26.00/lb. but I got it for $13/lb.) at one place; however, it is the Blue Mtn coffee in the burlap sack (not Jablum) and when opened is just a big plastic bag of ground coffee. I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose it could be anything really. Will report back if it is horrible!

The Bubble Tea at the little coffee/drink shop (a few shops down from Tropical Treasures) (name ?) is a MUST TRY! I had the strawberry flavor but not with the tapioca, with some other jelly "stuff" the shop worker recommended. It was DELICIOUS!!

Bottom line is...the "Hip Strip" is good for souveniers and the experience (and did I mention the Bubble Tea??!!!). You must go prepared to bargain. The price on some stuff is completely outrageous. Knock the price down at least 40% and if they say no, then walk. If they truly want to make the sale, they will sell it to you. Otherwise you can always find the same exact thing at another shop! :)

Visited April 2013
England
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Don't bother!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The street is full of overpriced shops, and the shop assistants standing outside pestering you to visit their shops. Not a relaxing experience! Unless you are staying in a walkable vicinity you will be charged a lot for a taxi or the so called 'shopping tour'. We did the shopping tour for $16, were taken to 2 shops of their choice and then actually had some free time.The shops at Rose Hall are better value and have the same kinds of things plus some more upmarket shops as well, plus we were not hassled to buy anything. Also if you are buying rum, coffee etc, leave it for the airport, these were the best prices, half the price being charged on Hip Street.

Visited April 2013