“Slowing going downhill......”

and up
Doctor’s Cave Beach Admission with Round-Trip Transfer in Montego Bay
Ranked #6 of 75 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Five miles of pure white sand and crystal clear water have made this beach a popular destination for tourists and families.
Brooklyn, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Slowing going downhill......”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I go to this beach every time I visit Montego Bay, and have been a frequent patron of this beach for more than 15 years. This beach, which was once one of my favs, is slowly losing it's magic.

The water is still amazing; the beach is still fairly clean, but:
(1) The lifeguards suck. With the exception of two that I've know for years, these new lifeguards are rude and will try to suck every single dollar out of you for life vests, snorkel equipment, etc.

(2) The bathroom/changing room is dirty- and there are too many ladies who supposedly are in charge of maintaining the bathroom for it to be so dirty.

(3) There is no entertainment- no music, no band, nothing. A couple of trampolines to jump on in the water is not entertainment.

(4) When cruise ships are in, the place is crowded and the staff does not know how to manage it. They run out of umbrellas, chairs, beach space etc. The beach needs more equipment and a better plan for use of the space when it's packed.

(5) The worst thing about this beach is the sands bar. It sucks. I wish they would bring back the groovy grouper. The service is slow, the food is below sub par, and they run out of basics like fruit to make a good drink on the regular. The prices aren't bad, but still.....

All in all, you need to step it up, Doctor's Cave.

2 Thank TCG81

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Rude employees and lackluster service”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Not sure why this place is getting such good reviews. I guess its ok if your only interaction with it is the beach. Anything beyond that, however, and this place is not all what it's cracked up to be.

First off, there are NO LOCKERS here. You must put your trust in your fellow beach goers and the staff.

Secondly, they charge for everything. Entrance is $6. A chair is another $6. A chair that allows you to lie down is $8. An umbrella is another $6.

Now all this would be fine if you could expect that your personal stuff and the chairs and umbrellas you paid for would not be CONFISCATED after a brief trip to the snack bar or a swim. However, I left my stuff on my chair to go to the snack bar. The trip turned out to be longer than expected (more on that later). When I got back, ALL MY STUFF WAS GONE. No chair or umbrella or my beach bag. I scanned the beach for my bag and finally found it tossed carelessly aside near where they were stacking up the chairs. When I went to get it, I was stopped by one of the employees who barked "what are you looking for?". I told him that was my bag and he acted incredulous and yelled "what is in that bag?". When I identified each of my possessions, he relented but them yelled "why is your bag there?". When I told him that one of the staff tossed it there after they took my chair and umbrella, he yelled "you may take the bag" and did not offer a replacement chair or umbrella despite my having paid $12 for them. When I asked for a chair and umbrella, he barked "you go there, I'll give you chair and umbrella". After a while, he came back with a chair and tossed it in the shade of someone else's occupied umbrella as if that we're good enough and then walked off. I then moved my chair to another spot and asked another staffer for an umbrella and only then got one back.

As for why I took so long at the snack bar, the service was abysmally slow. After my server gave me a menu, he disappeared. I finally got another server's attention and ordered. I must have waited 49 minutes for any further communication from anyone. I was about to assume that they forgot my order and leave when the server mentioned that my food was coming. Then, when I got the bill, I noticed that they took it upon themselves to add the tip in.

As for this place being family friendly, I beg to differ. I took a quick walk around the place to check out the facilities and one of the staffers stopped me and asked me what I was looking for. When I told him I was just looking around, he said "no, that can't be. You must be looking for something". I told him that I was just walking but he insisted that I was looking for something. When I continued to deny it, he said "so do you want a smoke?" I told him no and left. This, by the way, was an employee with a staff t-shirt and here he was soliciting drug business on the premises.

5 Thank gjy8s
Whitehorse, Canada
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Service slow”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Drinks great and a reasonable price Dinner menu a disappointment Beach venue with a good view of the sea and the lovely sunset. If you are staying for dinner the entrance fee to the beach is waved.

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“paradise”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

great beach. we were not bothered by vendors. rented snorkeling equipment-- $ 10/day. highly recommended.

1 Thank whiteguyfromcanada
St. George, Utah
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Inexpensive for families”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We went to the Doctor's Cave Beach Bathing Club, paid $6 for adults and $3 for kids. From cruise ships, get past all the tour hustlers and out to the taxis. Costs about $5 pp to get there. You have the option of renting chairs, umbrellas, floaties, etc but don't have to. Get one of each and have a central place to store stuff if one in your party will take turns resting and watching it. Beach is kept clean, safe for families. Changing rooms, showers, bathrooms are decent. We stayed all day with a family group ranging in age from 3 yr to 86 yr. Bring towels, bathing suits, sunscreen and change there. Bring snacks and water, more if you don't want to buy food there. $8 for good jerk chicken meal was not too bad. All in all an enjoyable beach day.

1 Thank Connie943