“Fantastic Fresh Fish With Nothing Fancy”
Review of Far Out Fish Hut

Far Out Fish Hut
Ranked #28 of 130 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I’ve written over 120 reviews on Trip Advisor and take providing feedback seriously. I hope you find my review helpful.

My wife and I found this restaurant through Trip Advisor and thought we’d give it a try for lunch. We were staying on the Hip Strip in Montego Bay and this was about 20 minutes away. When we pulled up, I thought, is that it? It looked like a small hut on the side of the road. It’s a small open-air restaurant on the water with a bar and few tables. I kept wondering if we were in the right place. But, if you are looking for fresh fish cooked in an authentic Jamaican style, you found the place!

My wife ordered some fresh “Turbot” (fish) that they recommended and I ordered octopus. She had her fish fried and my octopus was baked in foil. We also ordered Bammy bread. I told the woman behind the bar that we were from Texas and weren’t scared of spice. My wife and I both love fish and spice, so how could we go wrong? I’m sure they can make it mild, too if you don’t want the heat.

My wife’s fish was incredible. My octopus was cooked in some Okra, cabbage, onions, and hot peppers and was simply amazing melt-in-your-mouth octopus. I would definitely go back and I would probably recommend this as a lunch occasion versus dinner because of how small and primitive it is

You will see many locals walk up and buy fish at the counter, too. While we had our lunch, we saw about a dozen locals walk up and buy fish to go. Great authentic experience.

7  Thank stevetanyaTexas

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have been coming here a couple of times over the past three years and though "Chill Out Hut" has a more upscale and wider beachfront dining area, the fish here is the best. The location is really past Rose Hall on the main Road into Greenwood just on the outskirts of Mobay (as we the frequent tourists call It). You get to choose your fish and I always choose the Snapper. If you want Snapper and they offer you other types of fish such as Grunt, Banga etc stay away or Insist like I did, on getting the specific fish you want and they will go find It fresh from the fishermen closeby who are always dropping In to sell fish to them. The steamed fish is placed in a foil over charcoal fire which gives it the unique flavor which is different from the fish you will get from their main competitor i.e "Chill Out Hut" on the same road closeby, not too far from them (which I have also tried). The only reason why I do not give them an excellent rating is that they have deteriorated slightly in terms of service over time. For example, when I went there the last time, I had to ask a couple of times just to get cutlery, after they intially gave me a plastic knife and fork which could not cut the fish but fell apart in my hands. Their steamed fish is really tasty and though their service might be lacking compared to their MAIN competitor, their Steamed fish is still the best.

1  Thank Doc-Palmyra
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Had read about this place on trip advisor and decided that it sounded like a great place to eat. We came off of the cruise and rented a cab for the entire day to be taken anywhere we wanted.
We were going to eat Jerk at Scotchies but the food was not ready by 10 am so we decided to give this place a try. OMG, every review was so right. I bet we were the ONLY people off the ship who made it to this place. My boyfriend was not feeling well but ordered an ordered conch, fish and octopus steamed in vegetables that was deliciously spicy and he swears that he felt so much better after eating this delicious concoction. (I actually think it might have been the hair of the dog with the Red Strip beer we drank.) I had the spicy shimp which arrived with the heads on and I loved the flavor of the spice and sucked the juice out of the heads. Heavenly! You cannot go wrong with the food here and it is very reasonably priced. Wish I could go there again right now just for the view and the food.

2  Thank austntachs
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Fish Hut has been around for a while and I was pleased to see (or should I say taste) recently that it is still as good as ever! They serve fish and bammie and drinks. That's all. And they do it very well. You pick your fish, have a drink while it's prepared and enjoy the ocean view.

The fish is served with Bammie - a local favorite - which is made from cassava and typically fried. Have a seat at one of the stone tables, enjoy your drink and the view, chill and eat Jamaican style!

1  Thank ChefEChicago
Reviewed August 6, 2012

OMG my girlfriend ordered fried snapper with bread (looked like pita bread) I have been dreaming of snapper eversince. Service was good, atmosphere laid back, food to die for. I will definetly be visited again and getting the SNAPPER.

2  Thank TAmilcar