“Good Food, Good Time”

Ranked #2 of 131 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed January 2, 2013

When you see the locals, you know it's OK. We don't eat pork (yes, I know), but the jerk chicken was great. The rice and beans are bland, but that's what the great pepper sauces are for... The fried ripe plantains are not to be missed. The kids are not so adventurous, but the fries and sodas were fine for them, along with some chicken without the skin.

Who knew white meat chicken could be that moist?

There are newer reviews for Pork Pit

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I would give the food average and my husband would say excellent. The fried plantains were my favorite. Very rural and we were approached by pan handlers. Jerk Chicken at resort was the best.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The only negative thing I can say about this place is that in order to get there, you have to venture down to the "hip strip" which is really not all that great, especially if you don't like being accosted by various vendors, street people, and (probably) drug dealers.

The restaurant itself is amazing. Just the type of local gem I love to find when I travel. The beer was cold, the food was delicious, the atmosphere was limited to a few metal benches next to a parking lot, but that was the perfect atmosphere for this rustic, sticky finger, greasy in the best possible way food.

Just across from where you're sitting is an open air, tin roofed area where the magic happens. Two pits full of pimento wood smolder under rows of jerk pork and chicken just waiting to be ordered, pulled from the heat, hacked up while you watch and served up for your dining pleasure.

I could give you a foodie type description of the perfectly balanced spices and herbs, the char, smoke, and unique flavor imparted by the pimento wood, the fiery heat and herby savory goodness of the sauces, etc. But here's all you really need to know: (1) Go to the Pork Pit. (2) Buy BOTH the jerk pork and the jerk chicken. (3) Buy cold beer. (4) Enjoy.

I could eat buckets of this stuff and wish I had it at my disposal to do so. Of course, I might weigh about twice what I do right now if I did, so maybe it's a good thing! At least it gives me a really good excuse to make it back down to Montego Bay in the future.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our driver for the day suggested it and it didn't disappoint. It's a great combination of locals and tourists here. The pork was outstanding.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

The locals do not eat here - this is strictly a tourist spot. The food was terrible. The chicken is cooked on a outdoor grill - very dry and without any type of sauce or jerk seasoning. This isn't worth the $10. The rice and peas were under cooked and had no seasoning.

1  Thank MSKNMD