“It was ok”
Review of The Pelican Grill

The Pelican Grill
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
North, South Carolina
“It was ok”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The food was ok and the Oxtail Stew was fabulous and authentic. The jerk chicken was mediocre and the service was just ok.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Alison U

• Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
“Consistent”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Everytime I go to Jamaica, I have breakfast at the Pelican, in Montego Bay at least once. The food is standard Jamaican cuisine and really you can't go wrong... However, it's a bit pricey to measure...also, the ambiance Really needs some updating... But if you are ther e for the food, you won't be disappointed...

3 Thank cocoplum19
Denver, Colorado
“Best Food We Had In Jamaica!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

During our time in Montego Bay, we really struggled with finding great food. Our hotel was fancy, put on all the airs of being a fine dining establishment, but in the end the food was just "OK" and completely unforgettable.

Looking at reviews online is always a dicey affair -- I always end up hemming and hawing the decisions. It's especially confusing when you are in a new city on vacation -- you really want to have an amazing experience, but a lot of times, the reviews can be misleading. A lot of times I find that other people's perceptions of what is good and what is not are very different than mine.

I don't want to sound snobby, but I live in NYC, so I know good food. I eat out quite often, have tried everything from Michelin-starred restaurants to food trucks. I know that good food can be found at any price point. I am not swayed by gimmicks, amazing locations, or any other factor that mediocre restaurants rely on to hide the fact that their food isn't all that great. I only care about the food.

That said, I decided to take a chance on the Pelican. Sure, people seemed to like it, but was it really all that great, or were people being influenced by some other factor?

I'm happy to say that the Pelican deserves all the great praise that it does. The decor is not fancy (I agree with the description of a HoJos that someone gave it), but the restaurant is extremely clean, the service is very very good, and most importantly, the food is DELICIOUS.

We had the stuffed lobster, shrimp curry, and ackee and salt fish and appetizer. All were fantastic.

The ackee was fried and golden on the outside. The salt fish was yummy, with a little red pepper slice daintily sitting on top. The presentation was lovely.

I am still craving the taste of those main dishes. I got the shrimp curry, which was so tasty, but my companion got the stuffed lobster. WOW! The mental picture of what a "stuffed lobster" is did not match, but the taste was amazing. The broth was full of complexity and flavor, the dish was simply wonderful.

The Pelican excels at serving tasty food with no pretension, for a reasonable price for a sit-down establishment. OK, the bad pop music they play on the PA is not ideal, but the food is worth it.

We had an overall great time at this restaurant, and I would definitely recommend it.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
“The Pelican's new menu not vegetarian friendly”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have enjoyed the Pelican for years. In recent times they expanded their menu to include several vegetarian options- veggie stewed peas & rice, curried vegetables, vegetable plate etc. Within the past couple of weeks, however, the Pelican has eliminated virtually all their vegetarian options, even the salad will need to be modified by order to be meatless. The serving size has also, sadly, been reduced while the prices have gone up, again. There are now so many other options for good vegetarian food in Mobay that I have now removed the Pelican from my list of dining out options. Which is a sad thing because I have always enjoyed every meal at this restaurant.

Corona, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Alway!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Went for breakfast. Did not have the jamacian breakfast. The staff is very nice and very clean restautant..

• Visited September 2012