“love hate relationship”

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville
Ranked #22 of 134 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Let me start by saying that my family and I had a spectacular time here on 04/25/13. The atmosphere is great and the setting is great. It overlooks the aqua, green, and blue Caribbean Sea in Montego Bay Jamaica. What more could you ask for. The service was great and friendly however he made it clear from the very first time that he greeted us that he wanted a very nice tip. He proceeded to remind me for the duration of our stay which irritated me to no end. But, I must say his service was top notch and he was very friendly so he got his well earned tip.

We were a bit disappointed that most of the inflatable water "toys" had fallen into pretty bad disrepair and was more work that it was worth to use. The slide from the top floor to the bay was removed for repairs so we didn't even get to try it, not their fault just bad timing for us.

The prices are what you would expect from a place like this in a tourist destination. I'm not a cheap person but paying $25 for a bucket of 6 red stripe kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but again it is a tourist attraction and I guess four bucks a beer isn't all of that bad, unfortunately for me we had three buckets!

The food was pretty good and the portions were acceptable. Food prices were not all of that bad either.

Like I said, we had a great time and I will probably make a trip back next year if we are lucky enough to get back to mobay! As a note we went during the day with our kids, I hear it gets rowdy (fun) at night! Great overall experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,088)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stopped here for lunch. The view was beautiful. The margaritas were great. Thank goodness for the view/margaritas because the food was just ok. My fiance' got the chicken sandwich. I got the fish and chips. The fish was hot, but, very, very greasy and had no taste. Also very expensive. If you want fish. This is not the place to go for it. View/Margaritas "yes". Fish "no"... The hostess/waitresses were very nice and pleasant. Greeted us when we entered. Even said goodbye when we left.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location was right to catch it on the way out we all were thinking wow wanted to make it there and see what was offered. I don't know if it was the location or if they are all like that but the tables were stacked on top of each other so close you had to move every one to get in and out and move for the servers also We were lucky to get put on the second floor allong the wall this simplified not having to move all the time for others coming and going and gave us a great view of the airport Food was ok Menu much like you find at any chain restaurant Better that the food out of the vending machine

1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is really fun to go. We had a tabe outside sitting right above the ocean. We could also still see the beach. It was a bit windy but food and drinks were spectacular. SO ROMANTIC! We were having lunch so it was not such a party time but I believe it is super fun at night time. After food we decided to try the water slide which was fun but don't do it right after food like we did. We also enjoyed bunch of floating devices. It is a bit pricy but totally worth it. I gave 4 stars because I honestly believe that it is superb at night!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

First off it's a bit pricey, something like $8 for one Margarita or $22 for the souvenir cup (mini-blender) but they are VERY tasty. The view is great, right on the water with plenty of outside seating. The slide that went into the ocean was damaged by a storm the previous night but they did have water trampolines and some other large water inflatables so bring your swim gear. Staff was eager to wait on us since they were a bit slow when we were there (between lunch and dinner) There is also an upstairs that is worth checking out, wish I knew about it before we were ready to leave, would have hung out up there... We stayed at Royal Decameron and they offer a shuttle here at night (Be sure to double check times!) Margaritaville also waives the cover charge for Royal D. guests on Tuesday nights.