“not that great!”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
miami
“not that great!”
Reviewed February 23, 2007

This hotel's location is not the best, would not recommend walking outside after dark. There are drug dealers and other seedy elements nearby.Front desk staff needs hospitality training. The room had chipped bathroom tiles, dirty grout and yellow stains on the ceiling. The plumbing needs updating.No work desk in room as advertised.No elevators available. Basic but adequate continental breakfast included in rate.Restaurant staff okay. Would not stay here again.

• Liked — continental breakfast
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank ajie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Slovak first
brooklyn ny
Reviewed August 17, 2006

the family and i stayed at the knutsford court hotel in july 06. hotel is nice and afordable, they even have 2 bedroom townhouses on the property for rent, great for family or couples. melting pot lounge is a little boring, need to stay open later than 12am. add music or something. keyshawn a hotel employee is the best, also derrick, always accomodating. clean hotel, however they need night time activities or parties at the melting pot to add to the bore of the same cd's which they play over and over...
somebody needs to show the chief how to make a real american hamburger. the menu can use work A LOT!!

• Liked — price and location, clean and modern
  • Disliked — melting pot lounge, too boring same cd played continious
  • Tips/Secrets — have nightlife activities, keep melting pot open later than 12am, update the menu
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank kfighter
New York, NY
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed at the Knutsford Court Hotel earlier this month. At first, I found the hotel itself and the service to be great. I suppose that for Kingston, this is an excellent hotel, but with with broken down internet, broken washing machines (plus they charge you $5.00 US to wash and another $5 to dry a load yourself) , and sometimes broken gym equipment, plus all kinds of other logistical problems simultaneously occurring, I did not find the stay to be perfect. There was a rotten smell in the hallway which did not add to our happiness.
The restaurant is fine and the hotel staff is mostly very nice and accomodating. Also beware about traveling in Kingston overall. It seemed fine at first, but we were mugged at knifepoint just a few blocks from the hotel at 10:30 in the morning.

• Liked — The pool and restaurant
  • Disliked — Too many broken amenities
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful traveling in Kingston. Only travel by cab and don't walk anywhere.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Awesome-O
NY, NY
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I was vacationing at another hotel in the New Kingston area, and a friend of mine invited me have dinner at Knutsford Court.
I welcomed the invitation as I thought that this would be a great experience.

The first thing that struck me was that the place seemed desolate. However, I liked the property and thought that if this place impressed me, who knows, I may even stay there for my next vacation.
Though the food was good, the service was VERY SLOW. I felt like the waitress would not have cared if we walked out (maybe it would have made her life easier).
The dining room had 3 couples, and 2 wait staff, but it was clear that these people could not keep up. Just can't tend to two tables at a time.
At the end of the meal, we asked for the check, and I'm not sure if our waitress went to make the paper, or she had a problem with addition, but I know that we were waiting much longer than we should.
When she came, it took forever to complete the transaction and return the change. We had to get up and try to find her, which we did on the lower level (we were one flight up).

Needless to say, I didn't think that she deserved a tip, but my dining companion gave her a SMALL one, anyway.

There's absolutely no way I'd go back there, as the service was less than average, and there are a lot of restaurants in KIngston I think that is a major problem in the service industry in Jamaica. Most of the people who are dealing directly with the public are very unmotivated, and downright careless.
The people need to be properly trained, as this does make a difference.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank NativeNYorker
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I stayed at the knutsford court in Sept 2005 and I think it is one of the best places to stay in New kingston. I find the staff on every level to be very friendly helpful and courteous. My room was clean and comfortable. The cusine served up at the restaurant on the property excellent. I will be visiting Jamaica sometime this year and I definitely will be staying at the Knutsford Court again.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 11, 2006

As a regular traveler to Kingston I,ve spent the last three trips at The Knutsford Court, mostly motivated by the low rise, garden enviroment. I must admit that initually there was some room for improvement, the staff are always great. On my last visit in April, I was once again suprised to see the number of changes, the room that I stayed in was recently refurbished (new tiles), wireless internet in the (lobby only), high speed internet in rooms, a new gym. While the food is good, on busy night the service time can be slow. Compare to the large hotels the service is GREAT, friendly and accomodating, nothing is impossible. I won't be back for until next year, it will be interesting to see what's next. A spa would be nice.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anguilla
Reviewed April 5, 2006

My experience with Knutford was quite different than the other reviewers. I was there attending a conference and found the staff to be slow and unhelpful. The food was fine although the service was not very good and breakfast buffet was lacking. My room was dark and in serious need of refurbishment. The bathroom was rather unsightly.

The gym was adequate but the water from the water cooler tasted poisonous.

The front desk was extremely unresponsive and bordered on rude. There was a sign in my room which said that 800 calls to the US were $3 per call. I made three calls and ended up with a bill of over $80. When I bought this to the attention of the front desk they tried to justify it by saying only certain 800 numbers were $3. The sign did not say that. I was told that the Duty manager would have to get back to me--that took 3 hours and several phone calls on my part inquiring as to why I hadn't heard from him. He was quite rude and after consulting with "higher ups" they finally adjusted the bill appropriately.

All and all my stay was one I could have done without.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank barl16

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels