“Reggae Hostel”
Review of Reggae Hostel

Reggae Hostel
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Had a great stay at Reggae Hostel. We stayed for one night at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end of our trip and is a great place to launch your adventures from. We had a private room which had aircon, own bathroom and a giant bed. Very affordable rates, safe & secure, great laid back atmosphere and great location. There is free wi-fi and free computers to use and breakfast is included. The bar outside is pretty chilled too - cheap red stripes, and Scotty and Zana are great.

After visiting Kingston I feel all the rumors which Id previously heard about how dangerous it is are completely untrue. I didn't once feel threatened or in danger (and neither did my girlfriend). I didn't see any violence in Jamaica at all in the 10 days I was there (compared to 2 brawls and a gangster walking down the street with a handgun in the 10 days I was in the US). Highly recommended country and hostel to visit. One of my favourite countries I've been too (out of about 15-18).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack P

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Reggae Hostel is an excellent place to stay when you're in Kingston. Scotty and his entire staff are very helpful and will take care of you. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. You can use their kitchen, bathrooms are clean and well kept, and there are computers you can use and WiFi if you have your own. Very close to the Halfway Tree bus station, and the neighborhood is very safe. Grocery store and bank is a short walking distance away. If you are in Kingston, Jamaica stay at Reggae Hostel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Good staff! Scotty is the owner or big boss I think. He was helpful and courteous to me the whole time during my 3 day stay in Kingston. Then there is the night security guard named Welch I think his name is...he was very helpful and cool too. Zena is another staff member who was sweet and helpful too. Met a couple of interesting folks there. The hostel is right in the middle of Kingston--near shopping, malls, supermarket, eateries, banks...you name it!

I would refer anyone visiting Kingston to stay at the reggae hostel. The pricing is very inexpensive too!

Kingston is not as bad as the media and other people portray it to be. I felt safe at the hostel as well.

No downsides. Rooms were clean. Maid service every morning up until the evening. Hostel was clean overall!

I will come back to Kingston again, and stay there. I am not through with Jamaica just yet! LOL.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have not been to the all inclusive ghettos for (american) tourists, only 'jamaican' hotels...
It is by far the best place i have stayed in Jamaica !
It is quiet, safe, clean and cheap !
It is close to Halfway Tree bus station, Bob Marley's home and Devon House...
Internet access, kitchen and valuable tourist info are available...
Guests can chill in vast backyard with an outdoor bar...
The staff is super cool !! They will ask you for advice on what they can improve even though things is already pretty good the way they are... They will advise you about things to do and parties to go to and occasionally they will even go with you !
Another good thing about this place is that not only you'll be in Kingston with real Jamaicans, you'll also meet the world there through the other guests !!
If I ever get a chance to go back to Kingston, I won't look for another place... And my opinion is : you shouldn't either ! ;o)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I wanted to go to Kingston alone. But when it was time to book the flight and hostel I heard all these crazy and scary stories bout Jamaica and especially bout Kingston. 'dont go there, it is dangerous, especially for a (blond) woman travelling alone'. I got scared and even though I read al the good stories bout the reggeahostel I started my traveling in Runaway Bay (tourists, beach, all inclusives, and so on). After feeling like the biggest tourist, bored as hell I said: &()*&* it I am going to the reggaehostel; dead or alive.

Well, I never felt so alive in my life!

I regret not coming there sooner. I had such a great time. Never felt so safe. There is nothing scary about Kingston. Especially when u stay in the reggaehostel. The people that work there will take care of you as if you are family. The crew and the owner will give you a home in Jamaica.

Beside the cozy family feeling,the hostel is in the center of Kingston. Everything u wish for is nearby: parties, shopping area, and so on. Every night there is a big party in Kingston. Before going out u can have a drink at the bar In the hostel. And believe me: everybody thats going out to party will have fun at the bar before leaving. Good music and good company!

There is also a lot of space in the hostel and it is clean. The people that visit the hostel are very nice (in general offcourse, u cant be friends with everybody ...). All different kind of people, from music producers, artists (the hostel is located in the same street where all the big music studio's are) to backpackers. I had some great times with the visitors as well as with the staff.

I ended up staying in the hostel for three months (with some small breaks making trips to different parts of Jamaica). Reggae hostel gave me a home in Kingston and I had the best time of my life. My experience in the reggaehostel was so amazing I just have to share it and tell you; go there! U will not be sorry.

Big up the reggaehostel!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Gwen t
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed here for our last night in Jamaica, when we came there we were kinda sorry we couldnt stay longer. The staff is awesome, the rooms have everything u need, you can use computers or just cook something in the kitchen.

Theres a realy nice vibe, they also have an awesome bar inside which is perfect for some rum and coke in the evening:D Oh jea and they have two little kittens which came in our room when the door were open and we cuddled them while they were streching on our bed haha:D it felt good to have animals around.

AMAZING PLACE!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have been to Reggae hostel for 4 times now, always on arrival and upon leaving Kingston. Simple, but clean and the team is the best part of it. If you travel alone, might meet great people there. Wireless, kitchen to cook in and a nice bar to have a drink...! Ps! Take a taxi while tavelling in the dark. It is located on a dark street.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends