“Didn't know”

$86.99*
Jamaica's Spirit of Reggae - the Bob Marley Experience from Montego Bay
Ranked #3 of 71 things to do in Kingston
More attraction details
Owner description: The world-famous reggae star's home, displaying Marley's guitar and other artifacts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was so excited to visit this museum, when I got there I was so disappointed. I went with my husband's family who lives in Jamaica and when we got to the booth to pay, I was told that I would have to pay $20 and they would have to pay $5 because I was not from there. My family said that was a rip off and would not let me pay the money. I at least wanted to take pictures since we had went there and was told I had to pay $10 just to take pictures on the grounds!! So I paid the money and proceeded to take some photos. When I went to take a picture of my sister-in-law I was told that I could not take her picture because I only paid for me to take pictures. I could not believe this was happening. Needless to say I was beyond disappointed for the whole process and left feeling like I was being taken advantage of. If I was not with someone who did not live there I probably would not have noticed the foolishness of the whole process. My family then took me to the actual house that Bob Marley lived in. It was nice

2  Thank mrcoates72
Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I visited the Bob Marley House as a part of a Kingston tour from Montego Bay. The drive took about three hours mainly because the tour bus driver knew how to whip the bus through the winding roads. Although we left great weather in Montego Bay, we encountered rain once we got to Ocho Rios. Despite the rain, we were able to enjoy the grounds of the Bob Marley Museum while we waited for our tour inside. There were many fruit trees on the grounds including mangoes, soursop and the national fruit of Jamaica, ackee. There are several wonderful murals along the walled fencing of the premises. My favorite was that of Selassie I, Bob Marley and his seven sons. Don't forget to take a pic in front of the statue of Bob Marley which is located in the front of his home. It is free to tour the grounds.

The tour of the inside was $20 and well worth it. We were accompanied by a knowledgeable tour guide. The initial part of the tour was a room with Bob Marley's grammy and other lifetime awards and merits. These continued into another room and hallway. After all, the accolades for "Exodus" , "One Love" and "Legend" alone are endless. We were told his studio is still used from time to time by his sons, when in town. (It's where "Turn the Lights Down Low" by Bob Marley and Lauryn Hill was recorded). We viewed photos and artwork of the family. The newspaper articles posted in one room was a lot to read but the articles that I did read were very informative.

I most enjoyed the views of Bob's bedroom and kitchen. I was most saddened by the rooms on the other side of his home that still possessed the bullet holes from when himself, Rita and 2 others were shot in December 1976. I was moved by the short movie of Bob Marley shown at the end of the tour. His ability to use his music to fight for change, world love, world peace and equality is epic. His music continues to touch people worldwide, from all walks of life. It was clear from the rainbow of people on the tour. Some from as far as Belgium.

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively"- Bob Marley

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" -Bob Marley

1  Thank kee146
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Great tour into the life of Bob Marley. Very neat to see is house and learn more about him. Room of records was great. My favorite part of the house was the deck and hammock :). Good place to chill.

1  Thank spicypepper21
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The visit to Bob Marley's house was better than I expected. The rooms full of vinyl were testament to his legend and the living space he occupied and the studio he recorded in brought him right back into the present. As well as telling his personal story, the visit also gave a reminder of recent history. The film at the end was a nice way to end the tour. It's well worth a visit regardless of whether you're a fan.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Went to visit a friend and was taken to see where and how the great man worked.well worth the experience .

1  Thank Margaret P