“Nice place nice company”
Review of Neita's Nest

Neita's Nest
Ranked #1 of 31 Kingston B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights and it was delightful. Michelle is a wonderful host and our room was great. A great location close to Kingston and the Blue Mountains. Charmine was just lovely and cooked us some of the best meals we had on our trip. You have to have some "good morning honey" for breakfast. I guess the only down thing would be the road noise as you are not far off a main road. Friday morning there was a lot of noisy traffic going into town. If you are getting up to go it should not be a problem and Saturday morning was much better. Anyhow it did not take away from a lovely visit and we hung our Christmas ornament that we exchanged with Michelle on our tree.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in maybe close your windows.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear RobandPamKing,

Everytime I read your review I smile at the end for a very special reason. I smile because of the memory of you with your gift in hand and the child-like expression of Christmas all over your face. I was indeed touched by the fact that you took the time to research us, not only on our Trip Advisor page but also on our website. It was here that you read about our tradition of exchanging Christmas Tree ornaments with our guests.

For some strange reason, I had only told our December guests about this tradition, inviting them to participate. You came in November, and you surprised me with your ornament, a beautiful wodden ball made in your neck of the woods by your friend and furniture maker, Boone. This was a specially selected, personalised gift with its own little story, and moreover, just the fact that you were game, on board, and a happy camper from the get-go, made our hosting you just as enjoyable for us, as your stay was for you.

Thank you for letting us know, and for taking the time to share your experience of being in in this "nice place" with "nice company".

Reviewed November 4, 2013

While off the beaten track and so best to stay here only if you have your transporration and are confident driving up steep cliffside roads Neita's Nest can be a practical but charming stopover. The view is super lovely of Kingston ... we were even greeted by a rainbow in our first hour (we just couldnt get to the pot of gold at its end). The host was a treasure trove of info on the hapenings in town.l Accommodations clean n comfortable ... basic. Will return

• Stayed: October 2013
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Ingrid,

You came to us on a strong recommendation and a last minute whim, just in time to be welcomed by that full arc rainbow. We are so happy that we could have hosted you, and grateful that you took the time to write a review of your experience.

As mentioned on our website, our location, in one of the mountain ranges that surround Kingston, seems to belie the fact that we are actually within the city itself. A short five-minute uphill drive from the nearest commercial area on the plains of the city takes you 1000 feet above sea level for a completely different look and feel from that experienced in the heart of the city. Only in the hills surrounding Kingston is the air this cool and yes, the view of the city "super lovely"! Not to worry though, our friendly and professional cab and tour operators are just a phone call away.

You will find on your return that the drive here is really much shorter and less daunting than it first appears.

We are also happy that you enjoyed experiencing our recommendations of the pick of the city.

Looking forward to your return,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed for 4 enjoyable days and 5 nights with Michelle at Neita’s Nest in Sept/Oct. As a first time traveler I was particularly nervous about going to Jamaica. Michelle was extremely patient and helpful in responding to the large number of emails I sent prior to my arrival. Although I was primarily visiting Jamaica to do family history research, Michelle ensured that I did not leave without at least sampling the local cuisine at breakfast and usually at dinner as well. Achieving this was no mean feat considering my dietary limitations so well done Michelle! She also proved to be very knowledgeable about local history and went out of her way to make sure that my research time was used profitably. Thank you so much for making my stay so memorable and rewarding.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Heather,

Guests come to Jamaica and to Neita's Nest for a myriad of reasons. Your visit was as fulfiling for me as it clearly was for you. Just sharing your research goals, and findings, brought life to the history of my country. It also gave me paricular pride knowing that our archivists, historians and records here in Jamaica could so enrich your your project that your travels from so far could be rewarding.

It was indeed my pleasure to have been an integral part of your first travels from your homeland. And yes, your dietary limitations at first seemed daunting, but thanks too for the challenge of creating a menu plan that delighted.

Best wishes always,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stay in a fair amount of bed and breakfasts as I travel, the one thing i like about these places is the welcoming treatment from the people, and the feeling of, sort of visiting a distant family member, plus eating amazing local food (although, here you have the chance of eating more hotel like breakfasts, which we declined) Michelle, the home owner, could not have been nicer! i mean literally could not! it made the experience so welcoming and sweet, and mots of all amazing! it was just so welcoming and definitely worth the time spent there. the cute mocha the dog made it just adorable enough to want to go back just to stay there !!! privacy was also well respected and made it a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sixto,

We work hard at striking that balance between maintaining our guests' need for privacy while sharing an authentic Jamaican home experience. We even put a Jamaican twist on international fare some of the time to bridge the transition for our guests between their home and ours.

It seems that we struck the right chord for you most of the time, and are truly happy that you took the time to share these notes with us. Coming from a seasoned B&B traveler, this is special.

Cheers,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Surely, it was so much like coming home when Maria and I entered the gates at Neita's Nest. This time ,we brought friends with us, so they could experience what we have on other previous visits. And without soliciting any comments from them, their reactions after we checked out, were much like ours when we first spent time at this lovely Oasis nestled in the cool mountains above Kingston. "We have to come back and spend a longer time" was one such comment, and "my batteries felt recharged from inhaling the cool morning air and hearing the whistling toads in the distance".
We noticed a few upgrades since our last visit, and Michelle is to be congratulated for the improvements to her property.
Naturally, we will continue to recommend Neita's Nest to our friends and relatives.
Maria and Doyle Dally

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank doyle46

Your review puts a knowing smile on my face because these are my sentiments exactly, Doyle and Maria. Your visitis have that family feel, and it is so easy for us to just pick up from where we left off. We enjoy your visits and always look forwad to the next occasion.

Thanks too for bringing your friends to share your homey retreat. Let them know that they are welcome anytime, with or without you.

Till then, cool mountain air and whistling toads await.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

From my journey up the hills to Neita's Nest, I knew I had made a good choice to end my Jamaican vacation. The view overlooking Kingston was awesome but it did not surpass what I would encounter to start my stay at Neita's Nest.
On arrival, I was met by Michelle Neita and her lovely little friendly dog accessorised with a pretty bow over each ear.
Once shown my room, I met Charmaine, the housekeeper and cook and was taken back to the porch where I was seated for my pre-arranged meal.
I could not sit still. The view was breathtaking, fresh and still. It was like I had moved to paradise. I was in more awe and speechless over the unspoilt nature and majestic beauty of the mountains that presented before me.
With the table set, I was then served a tasty, portion controlled meal prepared by Charmaine. Michelle joined me and she was expecting another guest later. Just as professional as she was in emails when I booked my stay, I found her to be helpful to any needs that I had.
My room was adequate for me with a ceiling fan and no air conditioning. I enjoyed the evening cool air from the mountains and the extra warmth from the bed linen when required. While not modern and dimly lit, the room was clean, had extra lamps for lighting and provided good space for me to use the desk and closet with shelves. The bathroom for my use only was directly across the hallway.
Michelle orientated me to the procedure if security was needed and provided a list for emergency contacts. A decanter of water was put in my room each night and there was also a basket of assorted snacks if I desired them. She also emailed me contacts for tours and the spa packages at my request.
Everyday, Michelle was gracious and ensured that my stay was good. She addressed any little service issues and kept me updated on a regular basis.
The natural habitat was a nature lover's heaven! I lost count of the variety of butterflies I saw and identified flora as seen home. Where I thought was smoke fires in the mountains were explained to be mist/steam. Watching just that was therapeutic and calming.
While I hardly saw birds, I could hear them early mornings with their sounds that were most unusual to me. Nights I quickly adjusted to the dog packs which barked every night for a short period along the busy highway below the cliff near Neita's Nest. I looked over the cliff one day and was so surprised how far away the roadway was - the vehicles looked like toys. Occassionally during the night and mornings, someone drove through at top speeds or with blaring music. None of which disturbed my stay or would prevent me from returning.
My spa treatment was arranged and was professionally done in the treehouse. Talk about forget your troubles. Every kink and crook was taken care off!!!
It would be so remiss of me to not speak of the culinary delights prepared by Charmaine on a daily basis. While I did partake of every meal, I enjoyed the salads and her dressings made from scratch, the roast chicken, jerk fish, callaloo omlette, pumpkin ginger soup and more. She shared details of what she cooked and used herbs and items that grew on the property. Every meal included juices or drinks that she concocted such as sour sop, mixed fruit, pineapple juice, ginger drink. Chairmaine gets my VIP vote as an ambassador for Jamaica. Through her, I learned of cooking methods and tasted new items like coco and dashene. Her ackee and saltfish was excellent.
Neita's Nest was exactly what I needed. Transportation easily came there and there was no problem when I went out. Michelle provided her contact number if she needed to alert security to escort to the top. I also felt secure seeing the Response Team vehicle make regular drives to the premises.
Michelle and Charmaine have a wonderful getaway - I applaud them both for the hospitality, classy service, and welcoming and warm ambience that they have created. Looking for a homey vacation, a place to detox from the hustle and bustle - book Neita's Nest now, you will be rejuvenated, in awe and be refreshed!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Linda T
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

You were totally immersed in every moment of your stay with us, Linda! Your recollection of the smallest detail speaks to your sensibility and to your sensitivity, traits which can be depended on for accurate descriptions of your experience, or silence where it is better to say nothing at all.

Unsolicited, you chose to share your experience; you have done so at length, and from the heart. We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to so thoughtfully prepare your review, and so soon after your stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed with our two young children (10 and 5 years), for over 2 weeks in Jamaica, travelling around the island. Our stay at Neita's Nest Bed & Breakfast for two nights was wonderful. The house has a great view over the hills of Stony Hill and Kingston below. Michelle’s greeted us with a warm welcome every evening as we returned from our travels during the day. We had interesting discussions and loved the typical Jamaican food we got served in the morning for breakfast and in the evening for dinner prepared by her cook Germaine. The rooms are nicely decorated with art and equipped with fans to keep cool. As the house is in Stony Hill which is well elevated above Kingston, there is no direct need for air-conditioning. Upon arrival at the B&B our children had ear infections. Michelle was very helpful in directing us to the children’s clinic on Old Hope Road and arranging for us to be helped there with priority.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
neitasnest, Owner at Neita's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Shoukje,

I must first give all the credit to our paediatricians at "Kidz Klinik", and to their front of office team. Just a phone call to say that you were coming with children with ear infections, and they knew it was priority. That you were able to get on with enjoying your vacation in short order, was a BIG PLUS.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Thank you for your expressions of appreciation for all that we offer. We too enjoyed your visit and your delightful company.

Best regards,