“Nothing bad to say”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Barrie, Canada
“Nothing bad to say”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just got back from a three-night stay at this hotel. I went to Kingston for personal business and just to relax for the weekend. I had booked a room in the older section, but when I arrived, my diva self didn't feel comfortable for no particular reason. It was a bit dark and older facility with a bit of a gap under the door where my imagination had insects of all sorts wandering in. I went to the front desk where the patient and very kind lady took me over to the new section to check out the rooms over there. I was impressed and felt more comfortable. I got a room on the top floor with an amazing view of the mountains. The hotel was very quiet as it was off season. I did meet some very nice people. I was impressed with the staff, how friendly they are. Always felt safe and the service was great, laid back. The food was good as well. My only complaint here was that I was hoping for more Jamaican choices, jerk, oxtail, curry goat and whole fried fish. If you get the breakfast plan and want to try a little piece of JA, ask for the small Jamaican breakfast which is ackee and salt fish, callaloo, green banana and dumpling. I'm a Can/Jam and can cook most Jamaican food myself - but there is nothing like having someone else do it for you especially when in Jamaica. As a single traveller, I didn't wander too far from the hotel. Did walk down to Half Way Tree and across the road to the Tastee - definitely go for the patties there. I had the small pool to myself for the most part, the weather was fantastic and the red stripe cold. A special thank you to Mitchelle for all your help, the lady who checked me - sorry I didn't get your name, and Bernard for doing what bartenders do best. Very relaxing and enjoyable - exactly what this stressed out person needed. This will be my go to hotel in Kingston. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: If you like a more modern facility, I'd recommend getting a room in the new section. Go for the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gambogirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Lake Oswego. Oregon
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Sometimes BIGGER is not always better! I have been a guest at the Hotel Four Seasons for the past 5 years. I have not been back since 2011. Hotel Four Seasons has expanded and unfortunately in the expansion alot of the personal service and considerations have been lost.
As a repeating guest I requested the same rate as in previous years. I did not get the same room, in fact a dinghy, dark, outdated room that smelled of mold and this was for $120.00 per night~ I could not stay in the room, there was not enough light nor windows to even feel comfortable. After two attempts to get what I wanted at the price I could afford and feeling very worn out by their "NEOGOTIATIONS" that made no sense. I took the wheel chair accessible room for $135.00 NO breakfast included but this was a "special". The stories at the front desk changed by the minute. As tired as I was from leaving Negril at 4:30am on the SunCoast Express Bus I against what I could afford I paid the $135.00 and decided to deal with it in the morning. First thing in the morning after a fantastic breakfast (the callaloo is to die for!) I went to the front desk. This was the 6th time I asked to speak with the front desk reservations manager.
Being a business owner - I felt corporate rate was appropriate and previous guest. Never did get to talk with the RIGHT manager, was given the run around. I was then told $120.00 a night, including breakfast for two and poolside where I use to stay!!! This is what I had wanted from the beginning! I asked for a revised billing from the night before, still have not seen it happen. I asked for the $120.00 room without the breakfast (I was offered this before and now all of a sudden the price was the same with the breakfast or without the breakfast. Hey Folks, let's make up our mind!) It's unfortunate that a front desk manager cannot meet with guests concerns and it is unfortunate that the run around appears to be a delight to the front desk hostess. She was actually smiling when I questioned her run-around. WHAT?? The pumpkin soup is still the best in the world. But the once kind, gracious, considerate thoughtful front desk is long gone and unfortunately the delight I use to feel coming to the Hotel Four Seasons.

Room Tip: There is two sides of the premises, the new and the old. The pool side rooms in the old building are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nikii D
Trinidad
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a four day stay at Hotel Four Seasons and I absolutely enjoyed it. I also stayed in one of the rooms in the new wing and it's very modern and I was really impressed. On this side of the property, there is a swim up bar but the pool is one dept and is small compared to the larger pool on the other end of the property.

Halfway Tree is easily accessible either by walking or taking a taxi, where you can go shopping. Other hotels are nearby for other dining options as well as night clubs etc. Emancipation park is also close by. Its home away from home and included in the package is complimentary breakfast. I had the best pancakes I've ever eaten at this hotel!!!

This is not my first stay here, I stayed here in December 2011 and it was nice to see staff still there and doing a great job!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Naturelover34
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Only one night in Hotel Four Seasons because we started our Jamaicon tour from here. Clean and beautiful hotel. Exellent and tasty breakfast, try callaloo (like spinach) with toasts. Rooms are large and beds and balcony are huge. Staff was very nice and helpful. This is luxory, good for couples and honeymoon travellers!! Would go there again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ninza1974
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Oh my, did I get bitten..Just to clarify: I stayed in what may now be known as the OLD section, as there was a brand new building and area that was just about to open after I left. The room I was assigned was ground floor pool side. I think that the beds were a bit uncomfortable, but it was a working trip, so I was so tired at night that I fell asleep from exhaustion. I had visions when I checked in that I could sit out on the porch that is in front of every room but when I tried it, despite repellent, I was eaten alive. The breakfast selections did not have much variety, and a group of us went to the restaurant for dinner and we had to wait and wait and wait. Once the food came, it was okay, edible, but not spectacular. I have eaten better Caribbean food from street vendors. The pool bartenders (there were two that I met) were very friendly without being overly chatty, and after a long, hard day's work...the pool was very refreshing. The staff said you could "walk" to some nearby restaurants/stores but I didn't want to take that chance and go by myself. A group of us did walk to a nearby park-style area that is supposed to serve the best ice-cream on the island and that WAS a treat!!!! Overall, I guess I would come back here, but would still "shop around" before making that final decision.

Room Tip: I think they have a new section now, so can't comment. If you are in OLD section, ground floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank EBWgirl
Carmel, California
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My how things have changed.....for the worst. I stayed here in 2010 with my kids and the experience was excellent and the restaurant was superb. I stayed again in December 2012 and was disappointed. There was not enough shower gel in the dispenser to get a shower, the room next to the pool/bar was loud and sleeping was difficult. I had to call the front desk. The food at the restaurant was less than stellar. It was nothing to write home about and the staff at the restaurant was awful. They told me there was no inside seating but I saw others that came after me go inside and then "chose" to sit outside. I had to sit outside and be mauled by Mosquitos. The one bright spot of my stay was Lincoln, the driver that took me on an errand and drove me to the airport the next morning. He was very courteous, jovial, and fun to talk to. He and the front desk clerk that checked me in are the only reason my rating is not less than 3 stars.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingForager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I went for 7 days and stayed in the deluxe suite which was very nice, it was right by the pool and we had a nice sized verander to sit and relax.
Therooms are very clean and tidy, i had a fridge in the room and it also had a little freezer so you can store your drinks.

The staff are very nice and helpful especially a guy called Marcus ( He is the best ). They allow you to you the computers and printer so you can print your boarding pass.

The room came with 3 different continental breakfast options it is a bit meger but there is a fourth option thats not listed and its called the little Jamaican if you get this option it will be more filling and taste divine.

The restaurant is over priced and the food could be better, stay away from the fillet migion its totally rubbish, stringying and full of fat, most of mine was deposited in the napkin.

Room service is slow and y ou can only order at specific times not throughout the day, i waited over an hour for a plain chicken sandwhich then when it came the guy was upset because i had fallen asleep and no longer wanted it.

Overall though the place is nice and in a good location, if i was you i would stay in the deluxe suite as they are much nicer.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business