“Safe Spot/Decent Location”

Altamont Court Hotel Kingston
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights to begin a road trip across Jamaica's southern coast. Although I felt the hotel was a bit overpriced, it did include a fabulous traditional Jamaican breakfast. I was very pleased with most of the aspects of our stay. First of all, we felt 100% secure at all times. The property had a several locked gates with guards on duty 24 hours a day. There was also a safe in the room, which was a plus. The property itself was nicely kept, kind of set up more like a motel with strips of rooms on two levels. It had an old world charm with the white adobe-like/plaster (?) walls. The office/lobby was being renovated when we arrived, and operations were set up in a guest room. From the looks of the renovation, the lobby/office was going to be nicely finished. There was a small pool, pretty clean, right out from the restaurant and bar. However, the hot tub/Jacuzzi was not working, and filled with a bit of leaves and crud.

The room was average. It was decent-sized, and clean enough. The surface was clean, but maybe not the corners and crevices of the room. It had a small fridge, and the air conditioner worked well and had a remote control thermostat. The bed was the not the most comfortable, but not the least. Kind of a hard mattress where you could begin to feel the springs in your back a little. The bathroom could use some help (better water pressure, more cleaning, a make-over...) but it got the job done. A small porch looked over a back parking lot, not the greatest scenery.

We only ate in the restaurant for the free breakfast, but it was delicious. That being said, it was the first Jamaican breakfast that I had, but it was plentiful and great. Both days I got the ackee and saltfish, and on one day Stan got the browned chicken. It came with yam, boiled dumpling, fried dumpling, and plantain. On one day, a slice of breadfruit too. (Breadfruit and ackee are my two new faves.) The bar had a beer special 200 for a Red Stripe on Wed. night that we were there. There was a rooftop terrace that wasn't open which was a slight disappointment.

Go to the Hot Pot across the street to eat, and don't go to Pegasus Dinner on the Green reggae show. Oh (haha) and I have to say that the worst thing about the Altamont was the music played in the restaurant, bar, pool area. It was like soft rock from the 70s, 80, and 90s that sucked when it came out. Once, I even asked the bartender to change the music to some reggae (which he did), but the next morning it was back to the same!

Overall, great location. We were within walking distance to many cambios, the tourist board (you'll need a detailed map of Kingston :) many places to eat, a few to shop, a gas station, and a grocery store. Very close to Emancipation Park and Quad nightclub. Close enough to Bob Marley Museum - about 2 miles or so. We walked it and cabbed it back. Cabs were readily available there.

I'd stay at Altamont again, but only for familiarity in Kingston (which is difficult to get around if you don't want to drive around, which we didn't)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emanifold1
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to report to this guest that following of the lobby expansion and refurbishment/ already mentioned (now completed) we have now turned our attention to improvements of the guest rooms. We have identified all the rooms needing upgraded bedding, have ordered replacements and expect to have them all in place in two weeks time.. The complaint regarding the water pressure has been addressed as a new solar water system has been installed with a backup pump to allow for greater efficiency of the delivery of hot water as well as water at an acceptable pressure. We are also happy to report that the makeovers also include the bathrooms (which are not being completed all together). Because of the noise, the laborious nature of the process, and the inconvenience to the guest, this exercise is being done on a phased basis.
We apologize for the fact that the guest was unable to enter the roof terrace which is usually kept locked as we often times have functions there which are sometime set from the previous night. We would have been happy to allow access to the area if asked. The comment , jokingly made, that 'the worst thing about Altamont was the music....." has been fixed. We do not expect to be able to satisfy everyone's musical taste, but have restricted our selections to modern contemporary music. We hope that you will share your views on our several improvements on your next visit .

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I attended a two - day retreat from May 28 to 29, 2014 at this location. The food was neither appealing nor adequate. The coffee break was atrocious. The pastry tasted very artificial and stale. Some of the foods were salty and the rolls served with the soup were cold. Though fewer persons attended than the hotel was asked to cater for, the food finished prematurely. One of the servers, Claudette, displayed excellent customer service nonetheless. She did all she could to help. The bathrooms were not tidied frequently. We did NOT get value for money. I could never recommend this place to another company to host a staff function

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Allison M

We apologize for the poor service delivery regarding the company function held at our hotel. There ought to be no excuse for what you describe. We have taken very serious note of your complaints and observations and assure you that we will attend to them urgently....including the re-training of our team. Our food and Beverage Manager will be contacting the organizers with a view to examining how we can mend this broken relationship. We are truly sorry for any inconveniences caused as a result.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I attended a two day retreat here (28-29, May, 2014), at lunch I was one of the last person at lunch, by the time I got to the buffet line all the vegetables were finished, this is an important part of my meal, if I could not have it I decided I would go to the restaurant next door. However, while all the other persons on the buffet line stood by and watch me about to leave, the lunch that was already paid for, one person (I think her name badge Claudette) beckoned to me to stay indicating that she would have something prepared for me. Thank you Claudette for using your initiative, I hope your colleagues can learn from you what it means to deliver good services.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FacultyK
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2014

We apologize for this lapse in service delivery and hate to use this cliche regarding training, but we will continue to re-train our team so that such happenstances may be eventually eliminated. We have passed on your compliments to Claudette. We thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I recently stayed at the Altamont Court Hotel. What a huge disappointment. The pictures are exaggerated. The only accurate picture is the hotel sign. Breakfast was mediocre. Servings were stingy. The stewed chicken and dumplings were delicious however. Décor needs upgrading. This is more of a motel rather than hotel and extremely overpriced. Spanish Court Hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cathy R
chrisaction, General Manager at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

We apologize for the experiences this guest had while staying with us. Upgrades are a constant in our industry and we are currently in the process of upgrading/expanding our front desk and lobby and are likewise on the last "leg" of the refurbishment of our guest rooms.
We continue to meet the demands of our guests and will continue to be in business only as long as we are able to provide a service and product commensurate with what we advertise.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Having read some of the previous reviews I had to smile at some of the comments about the difficulties/deficiences people are reporting at the Altamont Court.

We are a Canadian couple in our 60s who have been spending half of the year in Montego Bay for a number of years, so we're somewhat accustomed to the quirkiness of Jamaican life. We have come to accept that Jamaica is a developing country and the services, behaviours and amenities we take for granted in Europe and North America and even other more developed Caribbean countries, cannot be taken for granted here. The power goes off, the internet goes down, the water is shut off; it just happens. But it does get fixed or restored eventually. What the heck, you'll never freeze to death.

What I like about the Altamont Court in Kingston is its friendly, happy, helpful staff and its very quaint ambience. It's a small, older hotel with some very lovely attributes, such as the inner and exterior courtyards with local plants, beautiful wrought iron gates and colorful painted murals. The owners seem to be slowly but surely investing in room and other upgrades (known as 'uplifting' here in Jamaica) and the results are quite lovely. And the staff is proud of the improvements. The rooms are clean and many have balconies. The pool is small but reasonably clean. And the whole restaurant/bar/pool area is quite charming.

I do think that there is room for further improvement though. And because the manager here seems to be sensitive and responsive to feedback, I'm putting forward the following suggestions.

1. Kingston is not an easy city to navigate or know. It's topsy turvy, badly planned, not pedestrian friendly, and can seem quite daunting and dangerous to visitors (not unlike Montego Bay, but on a larger scale). Perhaps the JTB (Jamaican Tourist Board - who, I understand, are quite richly funded by the government) could create and provide hotels with a visitors’ map that is available at the reception desk. The map can provide information about and locations for shopping, dining, entertainment and cultural landmarks. Visitors want to know where the closest grocery or liquor store is, or where the shopping centres are, or where the National Gallery is, or where the best restaurants are. Most of these locations are unwalkable from the hotel, but there are route taxis and drivers at the front gate who will take you where you want to go for a reasonable price. But you won't know where you want to go unless you have information about what is available.

2. The hotel restaurant is only average, on a good day. Jamaican food is never really 'haute cuisine' and the reason for that is that Jamaica has to import most of the food that North Americans and Europeans take for granted, and it's very costly. Also, many locally grown fruits and vegetables are only seasonably available. And Jamaicans aren't generally into 'haute cuisine' anyway, so don't expect pate de fois gras or other exotic items. Having said that, there's no reason why, for example, the 'salad' at dinner time has to be so uninspired. Shredded iceberg lettuce and tasteless salad tomatoes with carrot slivers and Thousand Island dressing - are we back in 1972? Local lettuce (dark green and full of life), plummie tomatoes (red and bursting with flavor), feta cheese, pear (Jamaican avocado - when it's in season), balsamic vinegar and olive oil are always available at Megamart. And Kingston has a Megamart or two. So yes, some foods are scarce here, but many are easily available at the local grocery stores. And how about some papaya (always available) for breakfast, with ripe banana and yoghurt. And maybe throw in an espresso! The Jamaican breakfast buffet is just ok.

Apart from Mark, our very congenial and accommodating server on the nights we ate at the hotel, the service in the restaurant is struggling too. Not sure if it's the training, but you could make a big difference immediately if you took that darn television out of there. It's located right in front of the serving/greeting station at the entrance to the restaurant and the serving staff turn it up too loud (very Jamaican) and watch it instead of attending to their work or the customers. It's distracting and annoying for the guests who might prefer either blessed silence or music played at a low volume that's suitable for a hotel restaurant. There's enough noise in Jamaica to go around for everyone. No need to drag it into a hotel restaurant. And what is a television doing in a restaurant anyway?

3. The Wifi, especially if you're using a device of some kind, is very bad. It cuts out and leaves you hanging or dead in the water. It's not so bad on a laptop but with a phone or tablet it's pretty iffy. I know that Wifi in Jamaica is undependable everywhere, so I'm not sure what can be done about this. Trying to fix internet (or any other) problems in Jamaica is a bit like trying to dig a tunnel to China. Good luck.

4. Visitors might like to be given a hotel information sheet (updated weekly) when they check in. You could provide information about driver/route taxi rates, what to do about internet/wifi problems, check out times, work that's happening in the hotel at the time, events that are planned in the hotel or in the city generally, contact information for certain problems. Just a welcome/information/about-us sheet. People like this kind of information and it will help to engage your visitors.

5. Noise. Jamaica is one of the noisiest countries I have ever visited or lived in. All the vehicles (cars, buses, cabs, trucks) are old and in need of repair and nobody can afford to fix them because either the parts are unavailable and/or they can't afford to make the repairs. And Jamaicans aren't happy unless their music is turned up to the highest possible volume. It seems as if they'll die or fall asleep if loud music isn't playing somewhere close by. And they're totally insensible to visitors’ sensitivities about noise. We once went to 'quiet, laid back' hotel on the south shore and as were walking in the front door a couple of fellows waltzed in with amplifiers the size of small cottages. When I asked the reception desk what was going on they told us there was a wedding planned for that evening. I knew right away I was in for trouble. And I was. Lesson learned. When booking a hotel in Jamaica, always ask reception if there is an event planned for the night(s) you're staying. If they say yes, ask if you can book a room where you won't be disturbed by the noise. Or find another hotel. Because they will not turn down the music, and even if they do, it will only be for 5 minutes, and then they'll start falling asleep and crank it WAY up again. It's just a fact of life here and it is relentless. Buy ear plugs. And the hotel should give them out at the front desk. The good ear plugs. Wax ear plugs. Or the hotel should be prepared to move people to other rooms. It's really one of the most annoying things about Jamaica. But because most events are held in outdoor spaces it's inevitable.

6. The hotel does provide an accessible outdoor space for smokers on site, but maybe someone could clean out the butts occasionally? Funny story – one evening I was at the dreaded smoker bench and noticed that the butt receptacle was getting pretty close to the top. So I asked the fellow at the gate how often they clean out the butts. He said “when it get full’. So. I really think it should be done twice a day. There seem to be a lot of smokers out there who are abiding by the no smoking rule in the rooms, so give them a break.

All in all, given what Kingston has to offer, and unless you're in the Pegasus bracket, I believe the Altamont Court is fair value for the money. If they can keep moving ahead with improvements to the rooms, putting some effort into the restaurant offerings and service, and catering a bit more to their patrons in terms of information, it could easily become a destination boutique hotel. They certainly have the charm. And there's also an Altamont in Montego Bay. We haven't stayed there but we did eat there a few years ago and it's also a charming and quirky hotel. Montego Bay is more of an all inclusive for tourists kind of place so fewer tourists will go to a regular hotel. Still, it's a sweet place.

Jamaicans have a keen and lovely sense of humour and irony and there is nothing quite so enjoyable as having a bit of a joke with them. I love to see them smile and hear them laugh. They seem to take the ribbing in good stride and you'll enjoy yourself more if you engage them on that level. Greet them with a smile and say ‘good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good nigh’t and you will always be welcome. And always try to remember that this is their country. Sometimes they're as frustrated with the lack of progress as you are, so chill mon.

Room Tip: Always ask about events (with noise) that might be happening on the days you reserve.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vic2riabctraveller
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We agree that there is always room for improvements and hope to be at an advantage as far as being able to implement continuous upgrades in response to such feedback directly from our guests. Such observations are sometimes difficult to digest, but we are always thankful to receive them. For clarification, the hotel has a generator capable of running the entire hotel indefinitely (as long as there is adequate fuel) and a treated water tank capable of running the entire hotel for 3 days at full occupancy.
You may have noted that there were speakers in the restaurant. This is because we are in the process of installing a new music system to provide the background music you recommended. The thinking behind having a TV in the restaurant is that it might serve as a welcome distraction for guests while they wait for their meal and its genesis came about during the coverage of the last Olympics when many guests asked that one be placed there. We acknowledge that the controls are perhaps a bit laxsed and will look about implementing better controls (volume control). The restaurant's "waiters' station" is being relocated to an area which will allow the team to answer the phones more quickly and meet and greet the guests more efficiently (from a time management point of view)
Our WIFI system uses the largest carrier on the island as the main provider with the other two as default providers and we recently boasted best on property coverage after a recent revamp of our antenna coverage. We are familiar with the challenge of inconsistent service when using a tablet and are incidentally presently doing further IT upgrades in an attempt to overcome this shortcoming.
As regards noise, in consideration of our guests, we do not host on our roof terrace (open sided), any functions that are scheduled to run later that 11pm which we consider a reasonable cut off time. We certainly agree with the importance of advising the guests of possible disturbances and will ensure (through additional training) that this is being done on a consistent basis.
We will continue to train our team so that incidents like the one you experienced with the ashtray is not repeated.
We are truly thankful for your candid comments and will continue looking at every way that we can improve the product in general. We hope that you will come again and comment further after the implementation of the several "uplifts" that are in train.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I just spent six days this past week (August 26-September 1, 2013) for my birthday and I must say that I was very disappointed. One would think that at $137 per night a hotel room that is called the Executive room would have the basic amenities, i.e., a clock radio, and a refrigerator. I found out on their website that if I needed a refrigerator I had to request one before I checked in. As to the refrigerator, I never knew that refrigerators still made such noise. That thing made so much noise in my room it hindered me from sleeping and at times I had to turn up the volume on the TV to drown out the horrible noise. Other things that one would expect to find in the hotel room is an internal directory for the hotel. I wanted to order room service from the restaurant and I had to dial 0 for the front desk, who in turn called the restaurant who then sent someone up with a menu, who proceeded to stand at the door waiting for me to peruse the menu to place my order. The drapes in my room were horribly dirty and had paint in certain spots. The lining behind the drapes are sheer, and the drapes are thin so all the light keeps filtering in my room which made sleeping very eventful for someone who can only sleep when it is dark. The louvre blinds in my room do not close properly and that enabled the mosquitoes to make a meal out of me whenever I was in the room. Try as hard as I could I never picked up Wi-Fi on my iPhone and it took about 3 hours for my laptop to connect to the internet. As to the restaurant, the breakfast menu is repetitive. And please stop serving the steamed cabbage for breakfast. Novelette on the wait staff is a gem, she always has such a pleasant smile. The good things about the Altamont Court, the bed, spacious and clean rooms and the pleasant disposition of the staff. I have a reservations there for October and I am having second thoughts about keeping that reservation. P.S. I had the pleasure of encountering and killing a cockroach in my room.

Room Tip: Remember to call ahead to request a refrigerator and a clock radio for your room if you need them, t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Feline828
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We thank this guest for taking the time to report the anomalies described in letter. We are in the process of equipping all rooms with fridges but in the meantime have some on standby that we provide to satisfy any such request(s). The noise that the guest reports as coming from the in room refrigerator was actually that of a 1 ton unit that provides service to the "Entertainment block" close to this guest's room . That unit has been serviced and the noise it was making while cycling from low to high has been corrected. We apologize for the disturbance this caused. Our internal directories are being redone and should be ready to be placed back in the rooms by month end. Room Service menus were also being re-done at that time and have now been placed in all rooms.. We apologize for the condition of the drapes (paint on the edge of it - likely caused by a careless job of painting or touching out by our maintenance ream ).Unfortunate as it may be, things sometimes get overlooked by our maintenance or housekeeping team. That does not make it acceptable and we have begun a process of "rotating" the housekeepers who would normally on a particular floor so that "fresh eyes" can observe some shortcomings that might otherwise have been overlooked. Incidentally, we are also in the process of upgrading the drapery in the rooms (as you may notice mentioned in a previous response) and have one floor left in order to complete the process. The guest complains of louver blinds (I assume meant louver blades) not being able to be properly closed and allowing mosquitoes into the room. Again we apologize. this problem has bee corrected. Regarding the complaint of the Wi-Fi service, we have not had complaints related to the signal strength but rather having to do with the particular setting on certain computers being used by guests. In addition to the Wi-Fi service offered on property, each room has voip phones that have a port on the back to allow hardwire connection to a computer or other electronic devices. We recently engaged a new Food and Beverage Manager and we have already noted improvements in our service delivery as well as quality of food being served. We likewise thank this guest for the compliments and hope you return and test us on the improvements overall.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I had a wedding ceremony and reception here and the staff really blew my mind away with their friendliness and accommodative spirit. I was not very decisive and this event was planned in a very short time but the execution of this day's events were almost perfect. Any issue I had was dealt with very quickly. Any issues my guests had were handled as well. My day use room was very lovely and food was great. The staff really accommodated a few unusual requests in my opinion nevertheless they handled them like it was something that they offered. Even after the event they were still pleasant towards me even though my event ran late and they needed the area. They also assisted me with getting items back to my additional caterer and to me for personal things that i left behind. I believe that they go above and beyond for their guests. Also if they cannot provide you with something they are willing to outsource for you. Words cannot express my gratitude towards the staff here. I will never firget the world class treatment that I received at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Stacy-AnnW-F
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

We are always happy to learn of another satisfied customer. Thank you for choosing us and giving us an opportunity to serve you....and congratulations on your wedding.