“Keep away!”

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Milan, Italy
“Keep away!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were forced to stay at Altamont being the windham temporarily unavailable for a fire. Well, better staying within a fire than being owfully "welcomed" in a tiny and dirty room working as a reception. Staff unfriendly allover the hotel. Rooms clean but awaful. No fridge in it. Breakfast is poor and of a low quality. Prices were exceptionally high since they took advantage of the lack of rooms in the town. No way I'll ever cone back volutarily.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
The lobby area of our hotel is small. We acknowledge that fact and suppose its size could be interpreted as "tiny" (serving 58 guest rooms) when compared to the hotel from which this guest was transferred (serving over 300 rooms). We try to keep our lobby as clean as our guest rooms (as described by this guest) and hope that this guest will acknowledge that their view of our lobby as "dirty" must have been a moment in time as our maintenance team clean the lobby and other common areas every half hour.
We apologize for any unfriendliness of our staff and assure this guest that we will continue to carry out customer service training as needed.
I have not recently heard any adverse comments regarding our breakfast and would appreciate if this guest could e-mail us specifics regarding what was termed as "poor and of low quality" so that we can accurately address it/them..
I am not sure why the room was described as "clean but awful" , so I cannot properly address it.
The comment made by this guest, regarding us taking advantage of rooms shortages by increasing our rates, is not only untrue but very unfair, nefarious and unfounded. Any checks will show that our rates have remained as they have been for several months and no changes were made to take advantage of the misfortune or inconvenience being experienced by guests. In fact there were some guests who were given discounts on the actual night of the fire at the adjoining hotel.
We hope that you will reconsider your decision and give us another opportunity to impress you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 2 nights in what might have been their moldiest room. We were assigned room #108. I saw a post prior to my arrival indicating that I shouldn't go to room #106, I'm guessing that applied to all the ground level rooms. There was no overhead light in the room, however there was a light that took about 5 seconds of flickering to completely turn on in what appeared to be a "study". Every morning I was awoken by workers across from my balcony chatting up a storm, dragging, and banging objects. Checking in to this place was what really got me. Online, I was informed by one of their front desk employees that although I hadn't put down a deposit on my room, the room would be held for me because I had trouble with the online pay engine. Upon arrival I was told that the room WAS NOT reserved, it was occupied, and I'd have to fork over close to $100 dollars extra to get into a room. Other than that, the breakfast was pretty decent. The men working in the restaurant looked like they'd rather be anywhere but there, and they all seemed to have foots up their [--]. Their restaurant is right by the pool, so prepare to see people wet and bulging as you eat your breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a room that's NOT on the first floor. Prepare for stairs. No elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the disturbance that you say you experienced as a result of workers talking loudly in the mornings and have counseled them about respect for the peacefulness of our guests. We are truly sorry.
Neither the housekeepers nor the front desk received any complaint regarding the light in your room in the area with the desk, that you say flickered before coming on fully. As you may appreciate, bulbs and other electronic devices may fail at any time without warning and we are prepared to deal with their replacement/repair in due time if we have knowledge of it/them.

As regards the matter of the lack of a ceiling light in your room, we felt that the four wall lights in the room were adequate but have gone ahead (today) and replaced the ceiling fan with one which includes a light fixture.

Your reservation was made at a time when the hotel had adequate rooms and would normally have been honored but being unpaid was inadvertently "bumped" as reservations were coming in rapidly as a result of a huge displacement of guests because of a very recent fire at an adjoining hotel. We apologize for the displacement as we should have called to advise you. That situation was highly irregular and was as a result of the emergency situation that maintained.
I am not sure what rate you are making reference to but our rates online are no different than those we sell at the front desk.
The attitude you describe of our male waiters is unacceptable and they have been singled out to attend a "coach and counseling" session which focuses on direct customer interaction.
We are sorry your stay was as it was but promise that we continue to pay close attention to and respond to, constructive commentaries like yours.

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Norwalk, CT
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I use to stay at the Altamolnt Court when I was doing business in Kingston. Loved the tropical gardens, the pool bar, and just lounging by the pool after dinner. It's clean, inexpensive and very convenient. Much less expensive than the Pegasus, Courtleigh or Hilton which are all over priced. Give it a try.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary D
Thank you for choosing us; glad your stay was satisfactory.
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had my first stay at Altamont (Kingston) in December 2005 and it was a pleasant experience given the clean and well appointed rooms as well as the warm service received from the staff. Since then I have recommended Altamont to all of my business associates for their first choice while in Kingston based on affordability, convenience, and service. Those who have stayed there are now all repeat visitors.

Altamont also offers good cuisine at their Mango Tree restaurant, however both the bar and the restaurant close a bit too early for me (they basically start winding down at 9 pm).

A great choice for any type of traveller especially with the recent addition of a fitness centre.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We know you have many choices and so it means a lot to us to know that you continue to make Altamont your choice in Kingston
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I recently visited Jamaica for a wedding and had the pleasure of staying at the Altamont Court Hotel while I was there. The wedding was being held in New Kingston. A friend of mine recommended Altamont because it was close to the wedding venue. When I arrived at Altamont, I was pleasantly greeted at the front desk with a warm smile. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The room was very spacious and clean. I found the food to be exquisite and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The best part was waking up early each morning for a leisurely swim, which was then followed by a delicious pool-side breakfast of Ackee and Saltfish, What more could one ask for? :-) I had a wonderful experience at Altamont and look forward to visiting again. Thank you for being my oasis amidst the city hustle and bustle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Altamont is glad we were able to have done it right for you and look forward to seeing you again...hopefully soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I originally had planned to stay at Spanish Court Hotel ,but due to my personal assistants blunder no such arrangement was made. I was very upset as my only though was to get a hot meal and a comfortably bed in Hotel that i was satisfied with from my many previous trips.A business associate recommended The Altamont and it was the best advice I had been given in recent times. The first thing that struck me was the very professional staff members who made me feel right at home. Secondly being British I had many friends from high School who had backgrounds originating from Jamaica ,and with that was my exposure to what i consider to be my favorite food. ,The CHEF must be complimented,I had Breakfast which was very good ,but the dinner was to die for! Curry chicken was my choice . I am returning to Jamaica in August and I have already made my reservations.I will be trying to make it to Montego Bay to sample there sister hotel Altamont West. Respect due my Jamaican Bredrens.

Room Tip: The top floors are much more spacious and a lot quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont Court Hotel Kingston, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We thank you for having given us the opportunity to show that we can offer a similar quality of service, product and smiles as others and hope you come again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I held our wedding reception there 12 yrs ago and were very pleased with the serrvice at that time. We recently visited Jamaica again and of course we stayed at our old "home in the hub" and enjoyed a great time. The staff was warm as usual, welcoming and made us feel like "regulars". We ate at the "Mango Tree" restaurant a few times and enjoyed friendly service from the servers. Since we were last there they built a gym which was top notch. My hubby loved being able to work out in the mornings. We will definitely stay here again as we like the size of the property and the feeling of family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy to have been able to convey that family "home in the hub" feel. We look forward to seeing you again.