“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Providenciales
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I went to the Terra Nova with very low expectations and i was pleasantly surprised. The driver the resort arranged to pick me up from the airport (Collin Bell) was charming and professional, i higly recommend him. As soon as the taxi pulled into the driveway Richard was there in his white gloves to open the door and grab my bag, he escorted me to the lobby and introduced me to the receptionist. As soon as i was checked in Richard was back with my welcome drink and escorted me to my room. This was the biggest surprise, the room was spacious, clean, there was a sitting area with a fridge, i got a welcome fruit basket, water. The only drawback was that the safe was way too small, it will not hold a laptop or ipad at all, i think for a business hotel this should be corrected because people will want to lock away these items. I was never in need of any towels or toiletries for the room.

The quality of food was excellent, the complimentary breakfast was another surprise for me. The variety was great ( take note that the breakfast is advertised as a JAMAICAN breakfast) it has JAMAICAN food, do not go expecting pancakes, waffles and all that North American food or you will be dissappointed. The food prices are expensive but very delicious and the wine costs are just plain ridiculous $40 per bottle for the house wine, what a joke especially when i left at least 6 bottles of wine at home, so i opted to drink water with my meals.

I enjoyed my stay very much and i will definately recommend to family and friends

Room Tip: if you want the best room, pay for it. stop harassing the minimum wage frontdesk agent for upgrade...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Well my family and I stayed there service was exceptional, rooms we paid for where clean and the food was great. The diaster part of our stay started at my wedding reception there was a server there that was out rightly rude to our guest, the food served was horrible. Things that we paid for where never serve, and insult to injury when we tried to talk with the manager of sales it made the whole situation worst. The complementary room my husband and I got on our wedding night was gross to say the least carpet was nasty and there was no refrigerator. My husband and I tried to call after we left calls where never returned. I would not recommend my worst enemy to have their wedding reception there...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
21 Thank MrsBrown3
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Terra Nova is a nice little hotel. It is not the place for someone who is going on vacation to Jamaica, I would recommend it moreto business people.

The price is a pretty good value when you compare it to other hotels. I have been in two rooms and they both were in a lot better shape than most Kingston hotels.

The casino's in Jamaica are not allowed to have dealers unfortunately but it is still a nice place to go and have a drink and some fun at night.

The breakfast buffet was average, they had the usual bacon & eggs and a few Jamaican dishes such as ackee & salt fish and escoveitch fish. The chef also remembered what I took in my omelet every morning which was nice.
The prices for dinner though are as expensive as a 5 star restaurant, and their wine list is also overpriced, almost 400% + markup!

The location is very central, pratically in the middle of Kingston itself and everything is within 10 minutes.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2011

A delightfully converted colonial house with good size rooms (I had a 'Junior suite'). Secure, with modern electronic locks, helpful staff, any problems sorted out at once, - and excellent food, especially dinner, excellently served. No 'little shop' but the MegaMart is only 6 minutes walk away. Not in a central location but that means popular for functions eg weddings, over which staff take enormous trouble. Good sized lounge area for meeting friends and colleagues. Good, rapid room service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed in Kingston for a few days visiting friends. The almost $500 (U.S) per night suite we stayed in, though roomy and with computer/internet office, was overpriced and showing definite signs of wear-and-tear in facilities, linen, etc. Promised luxuries such as fruit tray on arrival did not exist, and the night service from staff consisted of a bottle of water and a one chocolate kiss each. Water pressure problems with shower and lack of hot water problems were never fixed; the jacuzzi was old; toiletries were not replaced when finished. The toilet stopped working one night and we had to call maintenance. The Thursday tea was excellent as was the poolside seafood and steak night. I've been to Terra Nova for dining in the past and felt there is a definite decline in the management of the hotel from top management to staff. Definitely not the personal reception we received from management at our hotel in Ocho Rios. Buffets were overpriced and mediocre at best; a la carte dining on many entrees overpriced and disappointing. My husband and I left a Christmas breakfast because of the wait time to just receive coffee; guests lined up waiting for clean plates...
Hotel is not really intended for tourists or a place where tourists are entertained. The pool is too close to the city roads, and with so many events taking place in the hotel, I don't think a tourist would even have much access to the pool.
Terra Nova hotel caters to people in Kingston who can afford to pay exorbitant prices for hosting of weddings, buffets, other special events, etc.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lagka
london
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed at the Terra Nova in February and it was a wonderful experience. On the Wednesday evening their was a lovely steak and seafood grill by the pool. The accomodation is slightly dated but still a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
NY,NY
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was my second time to this Hotel and once again they rolled out the red carpet. This time I was treated like family, closer ,every one of the staff remember my face and greeted me with warmer friendly smiles. The view from my room was of the garden and the Blue Mountains it was just awesome.
I'm planning on going back next year and this will be the spot.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo