“you'll like it, yes really!”
Review of Liguanea Club

Liguanea Club
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Ayr, United Kingdom
“you'll like it, yes really!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

courteous, considerate and helpful staff members,
up to standard cuisine with choices
very convenient location for city tour
good services through out

there's only one thing that bothers me, and that is the flies passing by restlessly around tables at meal times which is very unpleasant, try using natural bug repellent-ting plants as table decor and see if it works, i know there is one for mosquitoes and have used it before, so there should be one for the flies too. please do something about it because i plan to use this hotel again should my future traveling take me back to Kingston.

and they know how to make a good blue mountain despite the falling quality of this years beans.

let me make myself clear that i am not talking about the jablum machine coffees you get at the airport which they unbelievably asked if you want sweetened condense milk in it! i was shocked my eyes look like they were popping out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TheLiguaneaClub, Member Services Coordinator at Liguanea Club, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello KayJayScot. Thank you for the review. Despite being outdoor dining, we have not heard a complaint about flies, but we thank you for advising us of this and will look into it more closely. Be sure to come back soon for the coffee!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I traveled with my adult son on a recent trip to Kingston. Both of us shared a pleasant room and made the Liguanea Club our home base for a weekend stay in Kingston this past labor day. This place is not a cookie-cutter hotel. It's quite the opposite. In fact, it's a very unique hotel with a great staff and friendly guests. I wouldn't call it a touristy hotel, but it's a perfect place to stay if you want to explore Kingston and the surrounding area.

On this trip, the hotel provided breakfast as part of the room charge. During breakfast, I enjoyed sitting on on the veranda watching folks playing tennis across the gardens. Again, quite pleasant. If you are looking for a big fancy hotel there are other options nearby. The Liguanea Club is a great place to stay with long history in Kingston. Besides the friendly staff, the colonial building architecture never ceases to amaze me.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the main building. Ask for something on the opposite side of the parking area...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello JimboNorth, we appreciate your feedback. We are very pleased to know that you and your son had a pleasant experience with us and can't wait to have you as our guests again in the future.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Local food available from the much-improved kitchen. Breakfast under the mango tree to the sound of tennis balls being whacked around the many courts of the club. The club has been refurbished, the grounds are well-kept and the rooms are clean. Overall the atmosphere leaves little to be desired.

• Stayed July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

A very comfortable, quiet and quirky hotel that offers a most relaxing and pleasant stay. It is a sports club - tennis, squash, swimming and fitness close at hand - has a great bar and restaurant and is staffed by exceptionally nice people. Club members are very friendly and if you are looking for a partner for tennis or squash, only too willing to oblige.

The rooms are clean and well equipped, if a little old fashioned - but great air-conditioning, fridge and TV. Excellent internet connection - high speed. Close to Emancipation Park and key government offices in New Kingston. Easy walk to the stores, including a large supermarket for fruit, etc.

I have now stayed at the Liguana Club three times in 2013 - and will certainly stay there again on my next visit to Kingston.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but second floor rooms near the tennis courts are not so well insulated for noise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank john2030
St. Louis
Reviewed July 11, 2013

You arrive and perhaps recall the scene from Dr. No where Bond drives up to the entrance, his would-be assassin in the back-seat, duly dispatched by the secret agent....it's the same place, but instead of a government setting, it's the venerable Liguanea Club.

Enjoyed my stay here; old school accommodations in Kingston, moderately priced, and with a fine terrace for breakfast. the sort of place area businessmen frequent, the nearby tennis courts produce sweating players getting a little workout at the net. The staff is assured and professional, you are quite near the busy Pegasus Hotel, and the city park bearing the same name as this hotel is the briefest of walks. There is no elevator, so be advised if this would be a problem.

In short, value for your $$, if you are staying in the capital city of Jamaica----I very much enjoyed the flavor and ambiance of The Liguanea Club, and your well-being and safety is a given.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just completed a three night stay at Liguanea Club and loved every minute of it until our last night - Saturday when we returned to our room from a visit to St Thomas. Tired and sleepy - to the worst music I have ever heard!!!!! The base was so loud, the doors were rattling and the small refrigerator moved by itself from the wall! This went on until 2:00 am!!!!!!!! I have never heard anything like it in my life and yes I am Jamaican! The ironic thing is that I saw a few reviews of the hotel that mentioned the loud music but dismissed it as over sensitive guests. But it was truly awful. Coupled with the fact that we planned to leave early the next morning to travel to Port Antonio - we over slept cause we were sooooo tired!

To add insult to injury, the staff told us this was a Liguanea Club sponsored event! Why weren't we told before checking in about this and given the choice to go elsewhere?

Oh yeah and at the Birthday Party we attended in St Thomas that Saturday before coming back To the boom box that was our room. We told all and sundry about our wonderful discovery - A piece of old world Jamaica - Liguanea Club and encouraged all our friends on their next trip to Jamaica to stay there! now we'll warn them not to stay if it's over a weekend cause we wouldn't want to subject anyone to what we went thru!

I'm disappointed that this is my last memory of our visit we had such a lovely time before Saturday night! The staff is wonderful, the location is perfect, the price was right but I would ask a few questions before checking in again.

Room Tip: Ask about the Saturday night parties!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Liguanea Club is not a fancy place but its clean, I felt safe and secure and more importantly the staff is PHENOMENAL!!!!! Genuinely helpful, 1 of the few places I have truely felt welcomed in Jamaica. I am a repeat visitor and I will not look to stay any place else. Pool, tennis court, gym and home to the best restaurant in Kingston....On the terrace, formally Normas @ Devon House. Pure orgasmic food preparations come from this kitchen. I'm a foodie and have No complaints! My last visit I was able to see the reggae show from my balcony. Liguanea Club holds a special place in my heart

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo