“Do not believe the positive reviews”
Review of Liguanea Club

and 1 more site!
Liguanea Club
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
USA
“Do not believe the positive reviews”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I just spent 5 nights at the Liguanea Club (June 25-29) - I will readily admit it was a mistake and the best part of it all was leaving. First of all, no one tells you that they organize pool parties that run until 2:00 am, advertising $ 1000 ($ 12 USD) "all you can drink" with music so continuously loud that it makes the hotel floors vibrate and you cannot hear the TV. Breakfast and lunch are fairly cheap, but service is practically non-existent and smiles are nowhere to be seen; dinner is not available. The rooms are barely a cut above Salvation Army hostels, bare and scruffy; paper thin, you can easily hear your next door neighbours. Some plugs are 2-prong so you can't use your laptop; the free internet service is sporadic; the old TVs do receive quite a few channels though. Hot water is usually cold in the morning. However, it is a cheap and convenient location, especially if you have to do business in New Kingston. The nearby hotels are easily twice the cost. But as always you get what you pay for. Next time, though, I'll stay at the Wyndham or Courtleigh (nice restaurant). What else? The pool is nice, lots of tennis courts, no gift shop (some snacks at 'pro' shop that closes at 7:00), taxi to/from airport is $ 20 USD each way, hotel bar is decrepit, hotel is not very safe - doors do not lock well - no elevator, no help with bags, - the list of "nos" could go on forever. When Jamaica colleagues asked what hotel I was staying at and I said Liguanea Club, they looked down their noses at me. It is not a hotel in any normal sense of the word. So please, if you are travelling on business, do not believe the positive reviews about this place.

Room Tip: None. I looked at 3 different rooms - 11, 14, 15 - and they were all awful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank TrainingCoach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed in room 27 at The Liguanea (Li-gah-knee) Club for a night as we wanted to spend a day in Kingston before heading out to the country to visit relatives. We arrived very early as we took the red-eye from JFK but Jackie was very friendly and helpful and checked us in quickly. We didn't eat there though because we had already planned to head over to Terra Nova for their breakfast buffet. The club is conveniently located and the rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. The A/C was nice and cold and we had cable channel options. The shower was a bit small in that room but had great water pressure. I needed to use a computer but they don't have a business center. I was however able to go across the street to the Pegasus hotel and access their computer center. All of the varous athletic facilities are available for guests to use free of charge and we did get a chance to take a dip in their nice sized pool. All in all it was an exellent stay for the cost and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: When taking a taxi make sure you say that you are going to the Liguanea Club on Knutsford Blvd. If...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Monique_MG
Trinidad
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Accomodation is in an old fashioned members club. The atmosphere is shabbily genteel,the furniture in the rooms is functional, solid, with distressing that is not artificial. The bed was comfortable, but the retrofitted bathroom shower was not designed for the portly. Service was very good but meals limited to breakfast and lunch. Major hotels across the street and nearby fast food outlets offer additional eating options. Location is excellent for business in New Kingston.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RAJ51
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed for six weeks in the Liguanea Club on a work trip to Kingston. I was able to negotiate a good room-rate for a long-term stay, and found staff very easy to deal with when it came to making the reservation and setting the rate.

The best things about the Liguanea Club are that it is not only a hotel: it is also a private members club with squash and tennis courts. There are people coming and going, most of them middle-class locals who use the club for racquet sports, keep fit, or other functions, as a result it is friendlier, more interesting, and less 'sterile' (in terms of atmosphere) than one of the big hotels. There are also good facilities. I didn't use the gym, but there is one. There are also tennis and squash courts as well as a good-sized pool, which I used a lot and generally found to be empty or very quiet. In terms of food, breakfast is good, and well priced. The same goes for lunch, and there is a bar that is open until quite late. However the club does not sell dinner. The restaurant stops at 4pm, which meant that I ate most of the time in New Kingston, which is easy to do.

The rooms are fine, particularly considering the cost, which is much less than the big New Kingston hotels. The shower was fine, the bed comfy, and there was cable TV. However, for anyone expecting the highest possible quality and furniture, the best advice would be to pay more and go to the Pegasus. The club is in New Kingston, which means it is an excellent location for anyone interested in local food and night-life. When I was there, there were some concerts in Emancipation Park, including some free ones. I went to some of these and enjoyed them, but the drawback was that there was occasionally noise at night that made it difficult to sleep, although things were generally quiet by around midnight. My sense is that the advantage of being in the heart of New Kingston makes up for the disadvantage of a bit of noise now and then.

There were some other drawbacks to the club. While generally friendly, the service could occasionally be disinterested, inefficient and very slow. The restaurant is fine if you have plenty of time, but breakfast there is not advisable if you have just half an hour or so...I found it generally takes longer. My wife sent me a parcel, which was sent away by the front desk because they didn't realise I was staying there, and it took a very long time and multiple visits to the front desk (and a corrected miscalculation) before they were finally able to work out my bill.

Overall, I recommend the Liguanea Club. I will certainly make it my first choice when returning to Kingston. It is affordable and welcoming. At times service was not as cheerful, quick, or efficient as it ought to have been, but those problems were more than outweighed by the positive elements of the place and its staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank CaribbeanHistory
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2012

It's Sunday night, Mother's Day, and the streets of Kingston are quiet, except at the Liguanea Club hotel. At the Liguanea Club, music is blaring, BLARING. 200 yards from the front door, a sound stage has been set up for a private party, and in my room I hear every note. The bass notes are particularly accentuated and literally shake the walls of my decrepit room. I am writing this review because I cannot sleep and am waiting for the music to end at 2 a.m. This hotel experience mimics that of living in a bomb shelter at war time.

Since the most basic function of a hotel is to provide safe and restful shelter, I cannot recommend Liguanea Club. Tonight it has turned the city block into a Nightclub. Avoid.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Puffilo
Old Harbour, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My stay at the Liguanea Club was great.. My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days but didn't want to stay near tourist so we thought the Liguanea Club would be a great choice. We did check in on our first day very late and the room was not even clean, a quick walk to the front desk and the problem was solved. (We were upgraded to a suite at no extra charge) Both rooms are nice but the suites have more room and privacy. We spend a lot of time at the pool and the great part about that is we had the whole pool to ourselves. There is so much to do at the Club that you don't have to go far to look for entertainment, but if you feel the need to, you are only a 2-5 minute walk to Emancipation Park. I think that the location is great and ideal for both local and visitors.

Room Tip: My room number was 39, it's great for privacy.. AC worked great, along with shower ( Hot & C...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shiquita Zurion... H
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just spent 4 nights here and found the hotel to be great value, in great location with great ambience. Room had everything I needed and staff were very helpful, the bar and restaurant do reasonably priced food and they include a nice mix of local and international dishes. The great thing about this place is sitting on the terrace and relaxing, lots of friendly local people who strike up conversations and really nice place to chill and relax.

Room Tip: try and avoid room at top of stairs as people coming and going can make a noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business