The Courtleigh Hotel and Suites
Strawberry Hill(Kingston)
$310
Liguanea Club(Kingston)
$138
All reviewsalexander's restaurantone bedroom suitepool baremancipation parkyogurtbusiness hotelrestaurant staffbusiness tripcoffee makercomplimentary breakfastfront desk staffhome away from homepool siderooms are spacioussmall hotelkingston jamaicabusiness district
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Having arrived in Kingston early due to my flight schedule, I was a bit concerned that I would not be able to check-in to the hotel. However, the staff at The Courtleigh were more than accommodating and quickly made arrangements for a room to be finished for me. I did not stay in the main hotel building, but rather the smaller additional building across the parking lot. I actually preferred this as there was much less foot traffic coming in and out at night, unlike the main building where my co-worker was woken up more than once every night by people coming to and leaving the floor she was staying on. I will be returning to Kingston on business repeatedly in the coming months and most certainly will be returning to The Courtleigh, and if possible the same room I stayed in!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Clearly no one should have delusions about what downtown Kingston Jamaica is or is not with regard to its high level of poverty or the sadly attendant crime that is associated with that condition. In the midst of this unfortunate circumstance there are several hotels, among which is the Courtley. Given its location it was nothing short of excellent for the business traveler. I am not sure that I would consider it a great tourist spot given the locale. I really cannot say enough about how friendly and helpful all of the Jamaican people were during my visit, both at this hotel and elsewhere. The hotel staff is no exception. The hotel was somewhat older, but the room was always spotless, and the food at the hotel restaurant (where I consumed almost every breakfast and dinner for over a week) was always excellent. For those inclined to exercise, the emancipation park across the street is an oasis of green that provides a nice place to walk or run in safety. If ones business is in Kingston then I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: go for the suite, it is worth the extras few dollars.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank JJH1
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Let me start my review by stating that we hadn't planned on staying at the Courtleigh-- the only reason we ended up here is because of a fortunate series of problems with American Airlines. :) Otherwise, I never would have found this gem. So thank you, AA, for extending our vacation.

Let me also say, the Courtleigh is a bit out of my usual price range. In the US, I stay at 3.5 to 4 star hotels, but only because I get them thru Priceline. I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

When we got to the Courtleigh, we didn't even bother to get our room first, we immediately went to the bar and restaurant. (I'm trying not to turn this into a "flight from Hell" story, but basically our flights were cancelled and AA put us up in this hotel. When we got there, there was a huge line of our fellow bumped passengers. We didn't want to deal with the wait.). We were impressed with the food and drinks, and the service was outstanding. I would definitely recommend the jerk chicken and rasta pasta. Sublime!!! The hotel was beautiful- very much like a top-notch hotel in the US. Already we were impressed. My SO finally went and got our room key so that we could charge stuff to our room.

We went up to our room- and I'm not gonna lie, I squealed like a little girl. Because of the huge amount of people that were bumped from our flight, the hotel upgraded us TO A FREAKING SUITE!!!! (See? It's a good thing we drowned our sorrows at the bar for a couple hours.) This honestly was the most gorgeous hotel room I have EVER stayed in. Bar none. I mean, ever.

I wish we would have had more time to stay here. Our room had gorgeous furniture- all cherry wood. The layout of the room was wonderful. First, a nice sitting room/living room, with a couch and entertainment center. Also a small kitchenette table with a coffee maker, and a fridge nearby. Then, a bedroom- and what a bedroom! Huge room, tastefully furnished. A large, king size four poster bed. Extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. Then, an attached little office area/built-in desk (wifi is free, so drag out that laptop!). After that, a large walk-in closet, with a robe hanging in it. The bathroom was amazing- the shower was huge, with a fabulous massaging showerhead and a built-in seat. I stayed in there for a good half hour. Everything in the room was tastefully decorated and quite posh.

The next morning, we had the breakfast buffet, which is included in the price of the room. It was very good- lots of fresh fruit, muffins, sweet breads, eggs, and ham and bacon. They didn't have everything available, so I asked for bacon, and I think they cooked that to order. The restaurant staff was extremely helpful and attentive. I also had to spend my vouchers from the airline, so they boxed up a wonderful marlin-bagel-sandwich for me.

The only issue I had-- and this is a small one-- I don't know if the refrigerator worked, or if it wasn't plugged in. I put some food in the fridge and noticed that it was very warm, so I turned the thermostat to its highest setting. Four hours later, I got my food out, and it was at room temperature. :( I had to throw my lunch out. So be sure to check that the fridge is actually cold.

Other than that (which was minor) I have absolutely no complaints about the Cortleigh. Very courteous staff, gorgeous room, wonderful food. The bad news is now I'm an addict. I would definitely stay here again, and I would pay the extra money to get the suite. I felt absolutely pampered. If the Courtleigh is a bit spendy for you, try their sister hotel, the Knutsford.

Room Tip: Get a suite. It's gorgeous!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jan56345
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Here's a tip: get a safe big enough to fit all your stuff in otherwise you risk your things being stolen. I stayed at the Courtleigh for one night and left my camera charging in the bedroom. I returned to the room roughly 5 hrs later to find that my camera with all my memories from my trip had disappeard. I obviously reported this to security who has been reviewing 5 hours of tapes for 5 days now. Still no news. Maybe its the person reviewing the tape that stole it.. obviously that's pure speculation but I am obviously frustrated. So if you're ever in the mood to be violated, please stay at the Courtleigh. They won't surprise you!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Hanif K
NMGJa, Manager at The Courtleigh Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

The hotel takes any such matter very seriously and a complete investigation was carried out by our Operations Manager who was in communication with your party. As is procedure a reading was done of the electronic key lock and review of the cameras on the floor. Both recorded no one entering the room or going on the floor after you and your party left the room at approximately 1 am and returned at approximately 4 am. We empathize with you on the misplacement of your camera and the loss of your memories. Our Operations Manager, has and will continue to follow up with you and we hope that you have since located it.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in April for one week and would gladly recommend it to anyone. The check in process was smooth and efficient and the staff (even the security guards) were extremely helpful. The wait time for food orders could get a bit long but otherwise the service was excellent. In terms of infrastructure, it is clear that the hotel is a bit old but it is well maintained and the rooms are tastefully furnished and decorated.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business