“Not many to choose from”

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed on this hotel several time trough the years, and recently this hotel is getting a little better, having issues with the elevators, outdated rooms and very limited choice in the restaurants, is still a good choice to stay. Despite the renovations undergoing currently, the surroundings are still the same, but the lobby area is improving, the access to the rooms are a little hassle, due to the outdated swap key to use on the elevator and the bleak lobby area for each level. The rooms are always clean and fresh smell is appreciated. Only a very peculiar thing happen, if you're in a room, you can hear your neighbor, across the room via the power plug, where the LAN is connected. The shower water mixer defective sometimes and the shower head is a mess, the air conditioner works sometimes, if you don't touch it, might get too cold or not cold at all.

Room Tip: any room good, but the higher, the better
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Yes indeed we are in the middle of a major upgrade to all of our public areas and bedooms, and I am pleased you noticed the efforts being made. Interesting remark you made about the noise from the next room. I will discuss this with the Engineer who is upgrading our in-room internet capabilities and will seek to remedy this problem.
Many thanks again.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Hotel check in was fine and the room was good.The bathroom was a bit dated but clean.Buffet breakfast was adequate but could have included omelettes. Lunch menu was also great,with a good variety of dishes.
They also arrange for us to visit the the Marley Museum which was 10min away driving.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive comments. Ownership is committed to upgrading the hotel both in terms of infrastructure and service and it is pleasing to hear that our efforts are being noticed.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Saw the mountains from the fifth floor and not forgetting the night lights of the city. Clean rooms with excellent coffee on the first day and after that....no more coffee for the other four days. (disappointing). The flat screen TV made me enjoyed the local TV programmes. Breakfast was just great. Lots of food, A variety of food. GREAT FOOD & Fruits too. (Pork sausage was served everyday though). I am a spicy person and sadly there were no spicy food so I had to make do with the pepper shaker. Breakfast and the view of the pool was good. The staff were great and seems eager to help. The seats in the lobby are so comfortable. The Emancipation Park opposite the hotel is very clean and safe and good for those who want to exercise or just have a simple walk. The naked Emancipation Monument is a must see. There always seems to be a buzz at the Pegasus. I will surely go back there. By the way, sometimes, you can be lucky to get free cool lemonade from the front desk

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

I read with interest your thoughts following your recent visit. Overall your views were quite complimentary though I was disappointed to learn of our inconsistencies. Observations such as yours are discussed weekly with all of the serior team members so your feedback is greatfully received.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Is the dinning area open to the public? As in can I just come in an order food an eat without booking in a room. I have being told the food was very good an customer service was excellent including staff an worker was very attentive so I just want to try it for my self

Room Tip: Top floor is in great condition very good customer service
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your question. Yes indeed all of our Food and Beverage outlets are open to the public, so we look forward to welcoming you to the Pegasus soon.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

You know when you go on a first date, and you have this ok time, but you're not sure if you mind never seeing that person again? Well that's how I feel about the Jamaica Pegasus.
I went for a meeting, so I HAD to stay there. Most of the staff members were professional but there were a few annoying things that happened to put me off and made me feel awful about staying there.

The room had a weird smell. When I first approached the room, the housekeeping were on the same floor and seemed confused that the room was booked. They asked "Are you sure this is your room?". So I should have known that there was something wrong.
The sliding door to the little balcony was ajar when I came in and could not lock. It was also very rusty and difficult to open and close. Though it was on the fifth floor, it is not impossible for someone to climb in from an adjacent balcony. So I contacted the front desk so that they could have someone fix it. They fixed it by nailing it shut, so it could not open at all. What's the point of having the balcony now?
The toilet was also coming out of the wall, and sounded like it was cracking. I was so afraid to use it that i'd go to the lobby floor and use the stalls. It was not very convenient.
I had a king size bed, which is nice. But there were two problems with that. First, there was a nasty brown stain and the end of one side of the bed, and secondly, one side of the mattress was so soft that when I'd sit on it, it would drop low enough that I would get startled. The problem though, is that when sleeping on one side of the bed, the softness on the other side would cause me to kinda sink into one side. So my back was killing me after the first night. Halfway into the second night, I decided to sleep on the floor for the rest of my stay. I spoke to the front desk after the first night of uncomfortable sleep, and they spoke to maintenance two days after my query. But the bed was still the same after maintenance claimed to have checked on the problem. I explained that the bed was the same and its really giving me a terrible backache. I even told them that I'd sleep in a room with a single bed if its possible, my back was so sore that walking was a chore. Maintenance called me and basically told me off,
Them-"Mam, I can't see anything wrong with the bed."
Me- "Did you try lying in it or sitting on it?"
Them- "No, but I push it down"
Me- "I really think there is a problem, if you can come, I can show you"
Them- "I am unable to assist you further with this problem, as I can not find anything wrong"
Me- "But, I have resorted to sleeping on the floor"
Them- "Well if your back hurting, that's the best thing to do"
Me- :-O Thanks
I wanted to cry. Because, I am not one to complain a lot. I usually hold my tongue, and adjust to a situation. But this was unbearable.

The food was really very good when hot at lunch time. But I'd get room service for dinner and it was always cold. So if you have to work while having dinner, be prepared to not have a hot meal.
They have an ice cream parlour. Great idea. But staff should be more versed on the flavours and ingredients. I can't eat nuts. So before buying the ice cream, I asked more than once (with witnesses), if there were any nuts in it. I was told that there wasn't. LIES! If I didn't sift through the ice cream before eating, I probably would not be able to write this review today.

In summary, if I have a choice, I would never see that place again. But the the food, when hot and fresh was good, breakfast was good, and some staff were ok.

Room Tip: bring a sleeping bag
1  Thank Kimisha T
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thanks you for allowing me to ask you questions off line. Your comments have been very useful and will be used in our ongoing in-house training program.
Please let me know personally the next time you are planning to visit.
PH

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Briefly nipped into Kingston for both business and pleasure. Stayed at the Pegasus which was very convenient in location. Staff were extremely helpful, courteous, warm and accommodating and will take the opportunity to personally thank the reception team Andre, Kareem, Mitzie and Miss Gordon for a wonderful stay. Equally the housekeeping staff I met on the floors were great. The concierge lads were very knowledgeable, chatty and warm in their interaction.
By chance met the GM who was very pleasant and helpful.
Room key deactivated a few times and the internet service had a technical fault briefly which was slightly inconvenient.
Thought the room needed a bit of TLC , a bit dated somewhat and needs slight redecorating especially the bathroom. Bed very comfortable.
Truly a wonderful experience at an excellent property. Kudos to all!!!

Wendy B, London.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. It is very gratifying to hear that the team's efforts to meet our guests' expectations have succeeded.
Please visit with us again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The conference was well organized and the facilities and service were above average.

The same cannot be said about the room. It was dated and tired at best. With holes in the walls, behind the bathroom door and around the electrical outlets plus a very dirty carpet there was a lot to be desired. Overall the service was good but one time when the service provider was exiting my room they were spraying a scented carpet cleaner on the floor and it smelt awful and left me gagging. Additionally when one is paying those rates at the very least there should be good toilet paper. Not so - very disappointed.

1  Thank AnthonyJohnson1

Thank you for your comments. Our new Ownership is committed to spending considerable capital in totally renovating this hotel as I'm sure you were aware while staying here. The bedrooms are getting a complete facelift and an upgrade and we will continue to do so until every room and all public spaces have been completed.
Please do try us again on your next visit to Jamaica - I am confident that you will be pleased with what we have been doing.
Regards