“An oasis in a fairly hostile place, pricey, but worth it, staff rude”

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Kingston is not a tourist town and after reading about all the murders we were relieved to feel safe in the Pegasus. It;ll cost you - but for Kingston it's probably worth it.

If you haven't been to Jamaica before, don't expect a service orientated culture. As a rule they seem to proud to be friendly, let alone nice and at the Pegasus the staff take this aloofness and rudeness to a whole new level.

But it's probably the best value for money in the area and the rooms although very dated are comfortable. The pool is about 100 metres long and 4 metres deep at the deep end - so its a great feature.

The restaurants are pretty good and the gym is good.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank onthegoNY

Reviewed May 20, 2008

I usually stay at the Hilton when I am in Jamaica on business, however it was booked out and so I got room at the Pegasus instead reluctantly, but willing to give it a try.

Upon checkin, I noticed how long they took to process the person in front of me. They apologized and processed my check-in a bit quicker than the persons before me.

The lobby was impressive compared to the Hilton and I had high hopes for the rooms, however, as I entered the elevator to go to my floor, I began to see the age of the place. It reminded me of a vintage hotel I once stayed in on Miami beach. Anyway, when I got off the elevator I saw a sign saying "pardon us while we work", but I never saw anyone working during my stay. The hallway was well painted, but still had an old look to it.

My room was clean, however once again old. The phone worked, but had absolutely no instructions printed or sticked on the phone, so at first I had to guess how to call room service, or the front desk. I read the room handbook to figure out who to call afterwards as the information was in there. Also, the room had no iron or ironing board. Had to ask for one, and they let me keep it while I was there. There were no drawers in my room for clothes on a cupboard with sections for storage.

The remote control batteries always dropped out because there was no cover. The first night, the wireless internet was not working.

My laundry was sent out and about 8pm (was supposed to be returned by 7pm) I got a call saying it is delayed till the next day 10am. Then 15 min. later they called and said they have it. When they brought it, one shirt was missing. I called and they eventually found it (by 9:30pm). Probably was not there fault as they send out the laundry, but please...

Good thoughts - well the food was decent. The buffet was limited compared to the Hilton, but was actually good.

Park accross the street was nice.

Would not stay again if I can avoid it though. Maybe you will have a better stay than I did.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank eerobat
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We have just spent a week at the Kingston whilst working over there. I am surprised it seems to be rated 3 star, I would have thought certainly 4, possibly 5. The room was large and very clean. Bathrooms are small but OK. The pool bar and the surrounding pool are excellent. A great barby on the Sunday night. Everything you need for business or holiday.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank vermeer
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights and had no complaints! The hotel recently reopened after a fire.The hotel lobby very impressive but rooms are average offering coffee and tea,room safe and iron. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. There is a beautiful park across from hotel. The hotel is located in New Kingston area which is like a business district. There are many fast food restaurants within walking distance and a few night clubs.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ajie
Reviewed December 5, 2007

On our most recent trip to Jamaica my wife and I spend 4 nights at the Pegasus and 2 nights at the Courtleigh which is located directly next door. We also visited the Hilton, just to be informed. OK here you have it.... The Courtleigh is smaller hotel and overall the rooms are bit more modern and feels cleaner. The pool however is not very inviting, also a hot breakfast is not including with the room charge, you are offered a continental buffet (not very good) just include coffe and tea and very limited pastries... Also there are no authentic Jamaican foods on the dinner menu. This hotel is a good, clean and safe choice if amenities are not your concern.

The Pegasus is a bit faster pace. The room charge usually includes a hot breakfast unless you bargin for a lower rate which excludes breakfast (get the breakfast). The feel of the room is that of a motel in the States. We stayed on the 8th floor overlooking the pool and park, the view was beautiful. The staff is not overly friendly but not rude. The breakfast buffet was average and offers a mix of Jamaican and American dishes. During our stay the phone in the room was not working properly (calls to the room went directly to voice mail without ringing). It took a few complaints for this to be taken seriously, however upon learning about our inconvience the Hotel manager (Mr. Love) seems genuinely concern about this. He was friendly and resolved it with us feeling satisfy. This hotel has a large lobby with plenty of comfort to sit and relax; there are a couple of shops to browse around. The pool is very nice and the better of both the Courtleigh and the Hilton.

These hotels are located next to each other in the safest part of Kingston, so the issue of safety is about the same for all. The elevators require an active room key to work so the bedroom floors are only accessible to guest. I cannot offer much on the Hilton, (I only did a quick tour). The only thing I can say is that the rooms by the pool and courtyard are not very good, they are not renovated and is shows... those in the tower may be better (not much). The grounds of the Hilton gives the most resort feel..poolside bar, tropical trees, and large grounds... After experiencing both these hotels and visiting the Hilton, my choice of stay for a next visit would be The Pegasus. We were a bit reluctant originally based on the reivews but it proved to be a good choice.... There are plenty of places to eat... There are two supermarkets within in walking distance... Word to the wise if you need a taxi walk out the gates of the hotel and find a chartered taxi.. the taxi at the hotesl charged 1,000 to drive about 10 miles.. when we went outside the hotel and found a taxi the same trip only cost us $300.00... Overall Jamaica is awesome... and we enjoyed our stay at both the Courtleigh and the Pegasus... Good Luck!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank bobandmissy
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We stayed at the Pegasus Hotal only for a day and night due to flight cancellation. I have to say that my family and I were very impressed with the service we received. The hotel lobby was decorated for Christmas, It looked elegent, felt warm and welcoming. The front desk staff were very helpful and respectful. The Breakfast, lunch and dinner staff were speedy and the food...ooh, sooo good! I am Jamaician and I know good Jerk chicken. We had our choice of Jamaican or international meals. Be sure to find out the true fare of the JUTA transportation service from the hotel to the airport, some will take advantage if you do not know the fare. The pool, tennis court and gym were nice. I would recommend this hotel for a few night stay in Kingston.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank CAB31
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I must say that from the moment I arrived at the hotel the service started with me being greeted at the door by one of the hotels bellmen. He directed me to the Front Desk for check in while he got our luggage from the car.

Front Desk staff were full of smiles as they greeted us and asked for our name to proceed with the check in process. That went without a hitch.

I must say that the room that we were assigned was relatively clean. Very nice decor. It was one of the recently refurbished rooms that we got on a non smoking floor. I must at this point thank the receptionist for advising me of the beautiful view from the rooms located at the poolside.

I would go on and on about it but I must say that the Pegasus should keep doing what it is doing. Like fine wine they are getting better with age!

When in Kingston it is the place to be

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business