“Great location, great hotel”

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights and had no complaints! The hotel recently reopened after a fire.The hotel lobby very impressive but rooms are average offering coffee and tea,room safe and iron. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. There is a beautiful park across from hotel. The hotel is located in New Kingston area which is like a business district. There are many fast food restaurants within walking distance and a few night clubs.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ajie

Reviewed December 5, 2007

On our most recent trip to Jamaica my wife and I spend 4 nights at the Pegasus and 2 nights at the Courtleigh which is located directly next door. We also visited the Hilton, just to be informed. OK here you have it.... The Courtleigh is smaller hotel and overall the rooms are bit more modern and feels cleaner. The pool however is not very inviting, also a hot breakfast is not including with the room charge, you are offered a continental buffet (not very good) just include coffe and tea and very limited pastries... Also there are no authentic Jamaican foods on the dinner menu. This hotel is a good, clean and safe choice if amenities are not your concern.

The Pegasus is a bit faster pace. The room charge usually includes a hot breakfast unless you bargin for a lower rate which excludes breakfast (get the breakfast). The feel of the room is that of a motel in the States. We stayed on the 8th floor overlooking the pool and park, the view was beautiful. The staff is not overly friendly but not rude. The breakfast buffet was average and offers a mix of Jamaican and American dishes. During our stay the phone in the room was not working properly (calls to the room went directly to voice mail without ringing). It took a few complaints for this to be taken seriously, however upon learning about our inconvience the Hotel manager (Mr. Love) seems genuinely concern about this. He was friendly and resolved it with us feeling satisfy. This hotel has a large lobby with plenty of comfort to sit and relax; there are a couple of shops to browse around. The pool is very nice and the better of both the Courtleigh and the Hilton.

These hotels are located next to each other in the safest part of Kingston, so the issue of safety is about the same for all. The elevators require an active room key to work so the bedroom floors are only accessible to guest. I cannot offer much on the Hilton, (I only did a quick tour). The only thing I can say is that the rooms by the pool and courtyard are not very good, they are not renovated and is shows... those in the tower may be better (not much). The grounds of the Hilton gives the most resort feel..poolside bar, tropical trees, and large grounds... After experiencing both these hotels and visiting the Hilton, my choice of stay for a next visit would be The Pegasus. We were a bit reluctant originally based on the reivews but it proved to be a good choice.... There are plenty of places to eat... There are two supermarkets within in walking distance... Word to the wise if you need a taxi walk out the gates of the hotel and find a chartered taxi.. the taxi at the hotesl charged 1,000 to drive about 10 miles.. when we went outside the hotel and found a taxi the same trip only cost us $300.00... Overall Jamaica is awesome... and we enjoyed our stay at both the Courtleigh and the Pegasus... Good Luck!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bobandmissy
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We stayed at the Pegasus Hotal only for a day and night due to flight cancellation. I have to say that my family and I were very impressed with the service we received. The hotel lobby was decorated for Christmas, It looked elegent, felt warm and welcoming. The front desk staff were very helpful and respectful. The Breakfast, lunch and dinner staff were speedy and the food...ooh, sooo good! I am Jamaician and I know good Jerk chicken. We had our choice of Jamaican or international meals. Be sure to find out the true fare of the JUTA transportation service from the hotel to the airport, some will take advantage if you do not know the fare. The pool, tennis court and gym were nice. I would recommend this hotel for a few night stay in Kingston.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank CAB31
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I must say that from the moment I arrived at the hotel the service started with me being greeted at the door by one of the hotels bellmen. He directed me to the Front Desk for check in while he got our luggage from the car.

Front Desk staff were full of smiles as they greeted us and asked for our name to proceed with the check in process. That went without a hitch.

I must say that the room that we were assigned was relatively clean. Very nice decor. It was one of the recently refurbished rooms that we got on a non smoking floor. I must at this point thank the receptionist for advising me of the beautiful view from the rooms located at the poolside.

I would go on and on about it but I must say that the Pegasus should keep doing what it is doing. Like fine wine they are getting better with age!

When in Kingston it is the place to be

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank eurojam1
Reviewed April 15, 2007

ok so i guess by now everybody has heard about this hotel in some way or another,

In All honesty i could hardly find a fault with this hotel, the pool is very good and empty which is even better, the location is superb, right next to Emancipation Park, which is guarded during the day, the hotel is very Jamaican which may sound bad but believe its not, although the pool bar food services does need some work, but please do not blame the bar staff, Jeremey is excellent, he will remember what you have by the first morning and will serve at your pleasure, order what you want and pay at the end of the day, the problem with the food is its cooked upstairs and if the bar staff are busy they have no chance of collecting it, plus they have no idea when its ready, so please its not there fault but they take it on the chin everytime,

you find that British Airways use this hotel for all their cabin crew in Kingston, good thing bad thing not sure really, rooms good but little outdated need some work overall a good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank chrissy077
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I stayed at Pegasus during a cricket match. The lobby of the hotel is grand but just about everything else needs improvement. To start with the rooms have not been renovated since the Brits left the Islands. What you will find working or missing in your room is like a lottery. The TV box may be missing, or the tea kettle may not work. The same goes for things like the Iron. And if they don't work good luck getting anything fixed. My room was sort of OK. However, simple things like housekeeping, front office buttons on the phone simply didn't work. Phone in the bathrooms was just lying around. It didn't even have a working phone outlet. The in room safe was broken and nobody could fix it. My friend who had the next room had a foul odor. I think this was due to AC being off for a long time because they have low occupancy. Now get this there was only towel for my son and me in the room. Repeated requests did not yield any result. However a nice housekeeping woman with a cart gave me an additional set. Finally somebody walked up to my room with over 15 towels. The hotel simply does not live up to minimum acceptable standards. When we went for dinner, nobody could tell us what the price was for a seafood buffet for children. Getting the price took them 25 minutes, getting a glass of water over 15 minutes and getting the cheque over 30 minutes. Just go outside and eat there. Finally I was amused when the national cricket hero Brian Lara could not get silverware for his Mom or coffee for himself for over 15 minutes despite repeated requests. So what chance do you have. The breakfast is decent. So is the lobby and the pool. Just about everything else needs a huge improvement in facilities, upkeep, attitude and service. If you don't mind these problems itis conveniently located and sometimes has good special rates. But just keep your expectations low. Better still, do yourself a favor and stay at the Hilton which meets the basic standards and is quite nice. Actually the concierge at Hilton was helping Pegasus guests make dinner reservations.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank AJFlorida
Reviewed May 9, 2006

every time i stay the hotel gets a little bit shabbier, however this is more than made up for by the excellent staff, wonderful service and great facilities. The breakfast buffet is one of the best in the Caribbean, the bar and bar staff are great. The only downside was the rather snooty staff at the Columbus restaurant - boy do they have pretentions (they would not let me eat there because i was wearing three quarter length trousers!) The pool is great too.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business