“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Alvsjo, Sweden
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Not many guests when we were there, so I can't comment on sounds from other guests, crowded pool area etc.

Only minor draw backs;

- Long check in
- The very nice pool doesn't have heated water, so it was very cold (but refreshing)
- Rather expensive for what you actually get

Other than that it's a great place. Sure the rooms are getting a bit dated, but you get a spectacular view. Friendly staff, good restaurant.

Don't regret going there, and would go again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Strawberry Hill is amazing. Before being driven up into the Blue Mountains, we were offered a refreshing drink following our flight. Although the drive up to Strawberry Hill was a little rough (around 50 minutes I think), it provided us with an interesting view of Kingston - with excellent commentary from our very friendly and informative driver.

Upon arriving at Strawberry Hill, we were warmly welcomed by the hotel staff and taken to our room. We had booked a one bed-roomed apartment on an all inclusive basis. Unfortunately the room was a big disappointment - it was fairly small, a little scruffy and only had a little balcony (albeit with a wonderful view!). Having climbed back up the many steps from the room to reception, the staff kindly offered to move us to an apartment called ‘Gong’ for no extra charge. This was very much appreciated as the room was fabulous – great views, large with an excellent patio area (with an outside shower!). One thing that I would mention however is that we could hear pretty much everything that was happening in the next villa/cottage!

Our experiences of the restaurant at Strawberry Hill were excellent. Although not 5* equivalent food, it was wonderful/delicious and very appropriate for the environment we were in. The staff, again, were excellent and extremely friendly and efficient. I would fully recommend going all inclusive rather than room only if you can afford it.

Our experiences of the Spa. FIRST CLASS. I would like to offer a special mention to Newton, who organised (and delivered) our treatments in a most professional and considerate way. We’ve used many spas in many different hotels, and nothing compares to the interesting and unique experience of having a massage amongst the sounds and smells of the Blue Mountains.

Generally, Strawberry Hill is a wonderful place to stay. Despite other reviewers referring to a standard of customer service which they considered unacceptable, I have to say this was not our experience. The staff were WONDERFUL. Do not expect a 5* room with 5* facilities - but do expect extremely interesting, clean, fairly rustic but extremely comfortable accommodation situated in a most unique of settings. Well done Strawberry Hill.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark2211
Worldwide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of inviting our friends and family from around the globe to share with us the joy of our union at Strawberry Hill. It was an absolutely amazing time. From the elegant dining and accommodations, second-to-none views, gourmet cuisine, and above-friendly staff, our wedding ceremony and stay were picture perfect. We enjoyed a relaxing couples massage on the day after the wedding. Spa tables are set up on balconies above courtyard waterfalls and have a perfect view of the Blue Mountains. Sunsets were spent in the courtyard and infinity pool, with rum cocktails provided by resident bartender aficionado Oral. Each room we visited had its own special touch and we didn't see a bad cottage in the entire place. Gold and platinum plaques from early Island Records artists Bob Marley, U2, Elton john, and many more line the walls of the conference room, a testament to owner Chris Blackwell's music industry success. The grounds are covered with lush and exotic vegetation and wooden benches are tucked away throughout the property- perfect places to read and meditate. We arranged an excursion to Hellshire Beach and were in great hands with their driver Macguyver who knows just about everything there is to know about Kingston and how to move around the city. Whether off-property or on, we felt safe, sound, and RELAXED during our stay. Would have loved to have taken a hike up in the Blue Mountains but didn't get a chance. If you'tre looking for a secluded, serene getaway up in the hills (4,000 feet above sea level), then this place is for you! Visit Strawberry Hill's website to learn more about the history of the property and the Blue Mountains.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ultimateleisure
Cayman Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

Just returned from Strawberry Hill and cannot wait to return again.
Everything was perfect and the staff treated me as though I was Royalty every moment I was there, their kindness and thoughtfulness toward the provision of my every need and wish was an experience i have never before experienced - coming from someone who stays at Ritz properties all over the world I was instantly aware that the guest service provision was a natural gift that the Strawberry Hill staff had which was above and beyond hospitality training - the staff were beautiful local people and their kindness and desire to make guests feel welcome and pampered at Strawberry Hill came from the heart and it certainly showed. I absolutely loved my villa which was mountainview 2 - all of my windows and double patio doors were left open from the moment i arrived until the moment I left - such is the safety exclusivity of Strawberry Hill. Nowhere else in the world have I ever felt safe enough to sleep this way. Strawberry Hill days renewed my energy and delivered far more than my wildest dreams as the peace and tranquility abounds - great food, great mountain trails starting right at the property, coffee plantation just down the road, Bob Marley beats envelope the resort and the real world melts away the moment you walk into your villa. I loved my morning baths in the deep bath-tub with windows open wide and nothing but giant palms and bana leaves pouring inside the window to ensure absolute privacy - the villas are positioned for maximum solitude and this was absolutely devine. The villas are perfect - in a few months time I will return to try the 59 steps villa overlooking Kingston - although Mountain view 2 is perfect - I want to work my way around all of the villas one by one. Every morning and evening I saw streamertails, doctor birds and hummingbirds galore - as I am a birdwatcher this was pure delight - as the birds came to the villa in abundance every day.

There is no down side whatsoever about Strawberry Hill, I love everything about it - the bathrooms are awesomely shabby chic elegant and comfortable beyond any new age modern concept bath experience - where else can you bathe with windows thrown open - double ten feet tall louvred windows spilling with exotic and tropical foilage as you lay back listening to the hummm of the streamertail birds and hummingbirds and sweet songs of the mountain birds - no modern day bathroom complete with tv can ever compare to the Strawberry Hill morning bath regime...................
I am returning in Mango season as there are mango trees everywhere therefore the birds will also be everywhere all of the time.
Try Strawberry Hill once and you will know that there is nowhere else in the World to match it............................................ All of my global Ritz Carlton travels are secondary to my Strawberry Hill, Irish Town, Jamaica experience................................
Go there- feel alive - it is the most special place in the world. My only hope is that the property is not "modernized" - as a guest I loved the Coffee Plantation old world elegance and the white on white purity and luxurious simplicity of it all............... Strawberry Hill is Jamaica ............... see it.....feel it......love it....... No wonder all of the world famous people seek it out as a refuge from modern day stressful living......
I am not going to describe word by word the villas as they are all superb ......... every one of them - I checked them all out. PS. The Jade Vine is outstanding by the restaurant too and full of hummingbirds every day.
I only have to wait 5 more months for my next visit - counting the days already - returned home yesterday and miss it immensely.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Mountainview2guest
Worcs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

Our one night stay at Strawberry Hill was a surprise birthday present; we have learnt since our return home that the booking process was a nightmare to arrange in advance, inefficient and disinterested would sum it up. The setting is incomparable, the garden, pool and main buildings stunning but basic things are being missed. The room was fine, rustic but very clean, overlooking Kingston, 70 steps or so down from the main path, with a lovely terrace from which we could almost touch the hummingbirds. The bathroom was in need of an upgrade though, with a cracked sink, discoloured mirror and rusty shower rail. There was no information about the hotel at all in the room, or things to do in the area, which was irritating. There was tea and coffee but no milk and only sugar in the fridge; cd player and cds, and dvd player but no dvds. The staff were very friendly but service was a bit slow, and disinterested, and a couple of requests for pool towels and dvds were ignored. The food was adequate but nothing special for the price.The bill on checking out was not itemised which seems very odd, listing invoices one, two and three is not sufficient, and is open to error. It is a lovely relaxing place but the flaws need to be fixed for it to be value for money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lizzieWorcs
Jamaica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

This is supposed to be one of the most prestigious hotels in the Caribbean. The rooms are lovely as are the views, but the staff is lacadasical at best. I was there visiting a beautiful wedding this weekend only to be greeted by dog droppings on the lawn early in the morning, bombarded by flies throughout the dinner service, rarely to never offered a drink by the unenthusiastic wait staff. The decorator (an outside contractor) and the outside wedding planner did a fabulous job of making the reception area beautiful. At the end of the evening, we asked the Strawberry Hills wedding planner, Stacey, to help us find some workmen to move the beautiful wedding cake back down to the bride's room for preservation. We were told that we would have to beg them ourselves. She was done and wouldn't help us.

These are the things that have the potential to spoil an otherwise perfect event. i've seen quite a few service complaints on this site. Strawberry Hillsmanagement should probably take a look. i won't deter anyone from going up there for a weekend escape if they don't need great service, but I'll never recommend anyone to go up there to work with their event planning services. Horrible!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Ebilact
JHP_Zuidervliet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed in 6 hotels during our trip in Jamaica and this for sure was the best.

For starters it does take a while to get all the way up there from Kingston though the 45 minutes drive for sure is worth it. After checking in we were guided to our room which was located on a hillside facing Kingston. The view was just breath taking not just at day but also at night when the city lighted up. The staff was very friendly and very talkative especially the manager (I cant remember his name though) talked for a while and introduced us how the hotel was founded.
Then for me, food is rather important as I like to eat good food. I felt a bit sorry for not being able to get in the city for dinner (45 minutes to and 45 minutes back wont work for me) though we were pleased to find out the dinner at the hotel was very good. Same goes for the breakfast and if you have a chance in the weekend they serve a brunch which is pretty interesting so you can take a bit of everything.
The only downside maybe is the staircase towards the hotel room. It went downhill and was made from wood, I would prefer to see this in steel. For the rest its highly advisable to visit this hotel when you pass by Jamaica.
And while you are there don't forget to visit the Blue Mountain coffee estate (called UCC I believe). It's only a 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JHP_Zuidervliet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
The Spanish Court Hotel
The Courtleigh Hotel and Suites
Liguanea Club
Liguanea Club
#6 of 25 in Kingston

Been to Strawberry Hill? Share your experiences!