“Beautiful and Extremely peaceful”
Review of Strawberry Hill

Strawberry Hill
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Ada
“Beautiful and Extremely peaceful”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

The food was outstanding, the views breathtaking, the cottages were comfy and homey. You must take a trip to the nearby UCC coffee plantation to hear about different coffee types, see real blue mountain grown coffee and see some beautiful views. We will definitely go back the next time we go to Kingston. The drive up the mountain was a fun experience, make sure you pick up some fresh mangos along the road on the drive up. Signs were not well marked, but that is the way it is in Jamaica...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ChristinaTaylor876, Director of Sales at Strawberry Hill, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear David R,

Thank you for your 5 star review and we're glad to hear you enjoyed experiencing a different side of Jamaica. We look forward to having you next time you visit.

Christina Taylor & the SH Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
George Town, Grand Cayman
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a long weekend at Strawberry Hill. After more than 8 trips to this tiny slice of heaven in the mountains, the magic is still there. Highlights were the walk to Gordontown with Rasta Dave, a bicycle ride to the army barracks in New Castle with lunch at EITS Cafe on the way back down and a walk to St. Mark's chapel taking the back route via Crighton's coffee plantation. The warm and genuine attention from Macgyver and Jazzette (in particular) made us feel at home, and our room, Tree, was beautiful. We loved the cool days and chilly nights after the summer heat of Cayman and the way the lights of Kingston carpeted the view below. We noticed the fresh coat of paint in the Aveda spa and the restaurant area – the place looked great! My only disappointment was the incredibly hard bed – Strawberry Hill obviously has not discovered the craze for pillow top beds! Having said that it was a minor thing and the sum total was that we had an altogether amazing trip! Big thanks to all the staff at Strawberry Hill! Joanna B and Charlie G from Grand Cayman

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joanna B,

Thank you for your 5 star review and continued support! We work assiduously to ensure each guest experience is special and are glad to know you feel this way for your 8th visit. We'll definitely look into the bed you had and be sure to have a pillow top on hand for your next stay.

Christina Taylor & The SH Team
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Strawberry Hill was our final destination before flying out of Kingston. Only a fleeting 24 hour visit.

It's a truly stunning spot, way up in the hills. Our cottage was vast, delightful, totally authentic and graceful with jaw-dropping views. Deeply spoiling.

Our young teenagers were with us, though not sure they appreciated what a treat it is, and daresay not the best hotel for kids. Great for spotting hummingbirds though.

Our niggle, however, was the staff. We felt they lacked the cheery Jamaican charm that we'd so much enjoyed at our previous pit-stops. Everything seemed a tad forced and a bit of an effort. Real shame, especially given the serious dollar that this place commands.

But let's not forget Chris Blackwell, what a hero; fascinating reading up on him and seeing all his gold discs. The world of music owes him a big debt of gratitude. His long-term driver who ran us down to the airport was good fun, a fount of knowledge and the most approachable person (by far) we ran into during our brief stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Surprising
Dear Surprising,

Thank you for you for selecting Strawberry Hill as part of your Jamaica visit. At Island Outpost & Strawberry Hill, we believe that Jamaica offers much more than just sea & sand and Strawberry Hill is a perfect example of this. We're also delighted to know you adored your cottage as we pay keen attention to details. But I am however very sorry to hear that you felt the staff lacked hospitality. We pride ourselves on our warm Jamaican hospitality as again we believe Jamaica is about the people. We hope you visit Jamaica again soon so we can extend our hospitality.

One Love,
Christina Taylor & The SH Team
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I didn't stay here, but was taken there for a lunch whilst in Kingston on business. It's a beautiful location, on a hill top overlooking Kingston.

Great food, at quite expensive prices, but thankfully I wasn't paying. Service was very friendly, polite, professional.

Beautiful setting for a special lunch or meal. Beautiful decor and surroundings.

I'd like to go stay there some day in the hotel...

And nearby is Blue Mountain Coffee plantation, which is worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank J H
Dear J H,

Thank you for coming to have lunch with us at Strawberry Hill, we highly recommend it as a great getaway from Kingston. We're also very happy to hear that you enjoyed our food & service which we pride ourselves on. We try to keep our costs as low as possible but as we are a bit of distance from the city, we do have to factor in transportation costs.
We look forward to having you stay in the future!

Christina Taylor & the SH Team
london
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I spent 3 days at Strawberry Hill following a conference in Kingston. Drive up to Blue Mountains did not take long (30min)- steep, windy hill with great views (if you can keep your eyes off the traffic!). I booked the 'King of the Hill' rate for 3 nights including a small one room cottage - Tree - which had a lovely view, small kitchen (with Blue Mountain coffee), and canopied bed. The bed is a bit hard though pillows are nice. Also it is not too far from the pool/restaurant. The rate included a complementary dinner for 2 and since I was a single I really appreciated that they gave me 2 complimentary dinners instead (worth $40 plus each). It also included continental breakfast - which I failed to request (and none of the staff mentioned it) but did not mind so much as I had the magnificent Sunday brunch ($40 but enough for the whole day) and a really good fluffy omelet on another day. You can request to take your dessert with you back to your room which I did on a couple of evenings. I recommend the jerk chicken, the shrimp escoveitch (fried shrimp with pickled veg), the bread pudding, the callaloo (crunchy green veg), and the garlic bread with cream cheese. I had a massage and facial (which were a bit shorter than advertised) and a mani-pedi which was excellent. The pool is beautfiul though a bit chilly even in June. Its fine once you get in. The staff were lovely. I did get a few insect bites so take some repellent, use the mosquito net, and have some benadryl ointment to stop itching. I do have a few suggestions:
When you check in and have a special rate as I did the reception person should explain what is included and what is not as well as the times for the restaurant and the option of the Sunday brunch. Perhaps also provide a little guide to charges and tipping.
The magazines and books around the resort are really out of date. I might ask some guests to bring some more recent ones!
Have guides to birds and plants available and binos to borrow perhaps. Have a guide to walking around the grounds.
Get some solar panels so as to go greener - and then maybe have ceiling fans in rooms.
If airport transfer is included in the rate make it clear it is just for the return to the airport. When it says 'return' on the web site I read this as meaning complimentary there and back. But it is only complimentary FROM hotel not to it (which cost $75+)
No need to pay for airline club in Kingston airport if you are member of other airline clubs especially Priority Pass.
I would recommend Strawberry Hill.

Room Tip: Tree is nice for single traveller
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank profd
Dear profd,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review as well as sampling many of the culinary samples which we offer (we're always so happy to hear when guests love our authentic Jamaican food). Thank you as well for your suggestions - again, very thorough! We do try to have up-to-date magazines, however sometimes we find that guests like to take them as souvenirs so it does dwindle from time to time. We do offer guided trails around the property where our landscaper can identify the many plants surrounding our gardens, but your suggestion is very handy for when he is not available. Also we are looking into solar panels as we aim to be as eco-friendly as possible. And we'll also look at clarifying the airport transfers on our site. Thank you again for making it Strawberry Hill & we hope to have you again in the future.

One love,
Christina Taylor & the SH Team.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Having flown into MoBay twice before and having enjoyed the other parts of Jamaica, I must say that flying into Kingston was great and I am now only interested in eastern Jamaica. Our driver nicknamed 'MacGyver' was waiting for us and we insisted he keep the windows down and put on 'his music'. We were introduced to the sensational rising phenomenon, Chronixx as we ascended to Irish Town. Drinking from coconuts, stopping for mangoes fresh off the tree, friendly smiling locals, a stop for the perfect photo op and the views just got better around each corner it seemed. Sorry for the spoilers, but expect it to be top notch. We tried to book the helicopter up at the last minute, but none were available from Kingston for that day. Maybe next time, but reading other reviews saying the drive up was 'harrowing' I disagree entirely. The drive up is well worth it, at least once.

My daughter and I were greeted with sincerity, warmth and class and felt completely relaxed in the quiet garden setting of Strawberry Hill high above Kingston. The breezes and temperatures were ideal. We were told the clouds often come right up to the balconies of the rooms, but the clouds were far enough away that our views were never obscured. Since our particular adventure was not solely based at Strawberry Hill, but moving around to a few locations for various activities, I did not rate this location for 'children's activities'. If you are looking for playgrounds or video games, that is one thing, however if you are looking to immerse your family in peace, tranquility and nature, I would say persons of any age will be greatly enriched here.

The rooms were authentic, tasteful and very comfortable. It all felt timeless in a sense, as though you were not sure what decade you were in, and aside from having a TV which we never even wanted to watch, perhaps like going back in time to the 1920s, all very positive elements of the experience. We were shown coffee outside our room and got a good workout walking up and down the stairs, after all you are in the mountains! Having a balcony overlooking Kingston was priceless. It seemed so close, but it was apparently twenty five miles away, so you don't hear any noise from the city; not even a jet landing, which seemed rare this time of year. The first night, after my daughter went to sleep, I sat on the porch, savouring my coffee and my smoke as I stared at the twinkling lights of Kingston, and being nearly hypnotised the sounds of the night such as crickets and tree frogs. I nearly lost all sense of time, sitting for perhaps three or four hours, just pondering life and the magic of it all before enjoying the best sleep of my life. The staff had graciously brought in a very comfortable cot for me upon our arrival.

Dining was an excellent experience all around, including breakfast lunch and dinner. The staff were attentive, courteous and the food and coffee, absolutely delicious. With the views, you just eat at a leisurely pace and enjoy it all.

To describe sunrise and sunset as beautiful here would definitely be an understatement. As well, seeing various weather patterns spread out such as rain on distant hills, sunshine at your location, storms out over the sea past Kingston all add to the experience.

Angel trumpets, bamboo, even the odd pine tree and many other flowers adorn the well kept gardens. We spoke with one of the gardeners and he definitely took pride in his work, as do all the staff here. Hummingbirds flit about the gardens and by the balconies as well.

The infinity pool looks amazing in the promo shots, but it is again, better when you get there. The pictures don't do this experience justice. Strawberry Hill is a one of a kind and it's no wonder it's in the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die. You may die happy after just this one experience. It certainly had a quality to it that just calms the spirit and possibly, even heals the soul. It's no wonder Bob Marley sought refuge here.

Our day trip driver, Gary, was excellent and so helpful in taking us anywhere we wanted to go including Lime Cay, Marley's house and later, over the mountains to Portland, that we requested him again to come get us from GoldenEye at the end of our adventure.

I definitely plan to come back in 2017 to see what this Jamaican bamboo looks like as they say it only flowers every thirty three years. Were I to get married again, this would be my top location choice.

Be sure to enjoy the Blackwell Rum as well as Alex Twyman's Old Tavern Blue Mountain Coffee. It's no wonder the discerning Japanese market is the biggest buyer of this commodity and it's no wonder Blue Mountain coffee is (perhaps quietly) used to boost the flavour of coffee from other regions. This is the magical place to grow it. You will taste the difference.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank xInnerLightx
ChristinaTaylor876, Director of Sales at Strawberry Hill, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear xInnerLightx,

Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive lengthy description! We are so ecstatic to know you loved everything about Strawberry Hill and were able to remember it so vividly! We do pride ourselves on being in the 1000 Places To See Before You Die and know that there are huge expectations. As you rightly put it, photos do not do the property & views justice and the views are simply breathtaking. We are delighted that you received a real taste of Jamaica - the food, culture, people, the drive to GoldenEye and back, and so much more. You also hit the nail on the head as time often slips away and you're not entirely sure what era you're in. With our 19th century Georgian styled cottages, time often stands still and it becomes the perfect getaway.
We hope to see you again before 2017.

One love,
Christina Taylor & the SH team.
Mexico, Philippines
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We choose strawberry hill as the fist stop in our honeymoon, it was amazing!! We couldn't believe the beautiful location. The restaurant is the best too. We missed its continental breakfast the rest of the trip. Particularly in loved with their warm banana little muffins and the coffee and fresh orange juice. I tried the spa (also great) had a 60 min massage... Amazing!! We went on the UCC coffee tour, a Must! Perfect attention, beautiful sunsets! We went on May and the weather was mostly cloudy, it's the only thing I wish I could change. Stayed at the gong room with its own kitchenette.
Best Jamaican hotel!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mRestivo
Dear mRestivo,

We are so happy you loved everything about Strawberry Hill and gave us a 5 star review! We hope you'll be able to visit again soon to experience our Breakfast (the muffins are made fresh each morning and the Blue Mountain Coffee is pressed as you order it) and maybe during the Summer Months to experience the warm Jamaican sunshine & hospitality again (May is usually a rainy month in Jamaica).

Christina Taylor & the SH team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
The Spanish Court Hotel
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios
The Knutsford Court Hotel
The Knutsford Court Hotel
#8 of 25 in Kingston

Been to Strawberry Hill? Share your experiences!