WOW! We just returned home after a 4 night stay at Strawberry Hill for a combo business/pleasure trip. I had a business meeting in Kingston on day 3. We chose to rent a car for the whole trip so we could have mobility. The funniest thing about driving on the ‘wrong side’ of the road was that I always turned on the windshield wipers every time I wanted to use my turning indicator…Be aware most streets don’t actually have street signs, so you may miss a few turns in town. Once you make it to Old Hope Road, the rest is easy. Take it easy driving up the mountain and you’ll be fine.
Strawberry Hill is very much a ‘retreat’ type of vacation. The opposite of staying at a bustling beach resort. We never even turned on our flat screen TV! My wife and I completely entered into the peaceful vibe of the place.
Very personal service. Each time we left the gates for a walk, we were greeted by name.
We walked over to UCC Craighton Coffee Estate, and Jerome gave us a very interesting background on the history of coffee (Thank-You Pope Clement!), and a taste of their Blue Mountain coffee. We then walked up to the plantation. At the top of the hill, we left the official Coffee tour, and walked down past the elementary school over to St. Mark’s Church, and down into Redlight. We bought patties and festivals at Yatty Patty before heading back.
While I was in Kingston on business, my wife walked down to Café Blue for a Frappuccino and Rum Cake, and continued on to find two brothers that sell Jerk Chicken and pork at the next ‘store’. She brought the meat and cake back to our minibar fridge, and we enjoyed it for lunch the next day!
To get a real feel for rural Blue Mountain Jamaica take the Gordon Trail walking tour that they offer at the hotel. I highly recommend ‘Rastaman Dave’. He is full of stories, and points out all the different plants and fruits. Stopping at a waterfall, while we swam, he prepared fresh pineapple and papaya for us. He is really focused on the guest experience, and walking with him is like having a Gold Pass into the lives of the people who live in the mountains. ‘Bless Up Family’
The name of our cottage was Mountain View 1. The name says it all. Not on the Kingston side, our balcony was perched over a quiet valley with stunning views. Shangri-La. The rooms have French Press Coffee makers, so we enjoyed morning coffees on the balcony before heading off to breakfast. (We’d now like to re-do our bedroom in Jamaican Colonial).
Excellent, fast, very stable Wi-Fi is available everywhere on the grounds, including our own balcony. My phone and laptop were always connected.
Between my wife and I, we tried everything on the dinner menu. Salmon, Oxtail, Curried Goat, Jerk Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, Lamb chops, Shrimp, and the soups. Every dish was well prepared and delicious.
We 100% recommend Strawberry Hill for a relaxing, pampered, getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strawberry Hill Hotel, Spa & Gardens, a 26-acre mountain top resort, is located in the heart of one of the world's most famous coffee-producing mountain ranges, Jamaica's Blue Mountains. Listed in the New York Times #1 bestselling book, 1,000 Places To See Before You Die, Strawberry Hill is 3100 feet above sea level and features one of the most awe-inspiring views of the Blue Mountains in one direction as well as the city of Kingston in the other. On a clear day, one can see up to 100 miles from the property's infinity-edge pool, and at night the city far below becomes a twinkling mirror of the night sky. The property's 12 Georgian-style cottages, spa, exotic gardens and restaurant offerings underwent an extensive refurbishment in October 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Strawberry Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Strawberry Hill Irish Town
- Strawberry Hill Jamaica/Kingston