How to get to the Blue Mountains on your own, leaving from Kingston?
- Take bus 900 to Papine, leaving from the public transport centre Half Way Tree, or jump on it when passing Hope Road. Costs : only 80 JMD for a 30 minutes ride.
- After stop in Papine, cross the main square to find a minibus to Irish Town and Newcastle. This minibus will take you up in the hills, upto Red Light (last stop before minibus will turn back). Costs : only 100 JMD for a 30 minutes ride. Bad road!
- From Red Light on, you're on your own... Just follow the road, and after a 1 hour hike, and passing Rafjam B&B, you will reach Eits' cafe, which we recommend for a fresh fruit smoothie or a self grown salad. Prices are reasonable, friendly people. Robin, the owner's daughter, can provide you with a small map and more info about getting further up to Mount Edge and the Jamaican Defense Force Training Camp at St-Catherine's mountain.
- Lovely views while hiking, and we were there all by ourselves, enjoying the silence and nature.
- To go back from Eits' cafe : go down again to Red Light (1 hour walking ), wait for minibus (every half hour?) to take you to Papine (100 JM), get into bus 900 to take you to the transport centre of Half Way Tree again (80 JMD).
- We are sure there are taxi's available in Papine as well, to take you all the way up to Mount Edge etc... but we have no idea about the costs etc...
Make sure you leave early, so that you have time to relax and enjoy. We left at about 9am (transport centre) and got back about 5pm.
Enjoy this information, and the Blue Mountains!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.