“Decent but by no means a 4 star hotel”

The Spanish Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Sydney, Australia
“Decent but by no means a 4 star hotel”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Spanish Court Hotel in Kingston in May 2013. We booked the hotel because it is a Lonely Planet 'Top Choice' hotel. We booked the Deluxe King Room for two nights which set us back $370.98 US. On first arriving we were pleasantly greeted by the polite and professional staff. Check in was quite smooth. However, when we saw the room I was extremely disappointed. The room was small and dark. It faced out onto a busy road and had no atmosphere. I later tried the pool and again was disappointed as it is was much smaller than suggested by the pictures. The free breakfast included continental and jamaican options and was quite nice. Wi-fi was available in the rooms but was not very fast. Overall, the experience was just ok because the room was expensive for Jamaica and fell well below expectations. This is by no means a four or five star hotel and it is hugely overpriced compared to global prices for equivalent rooms. After travelling around the entire Island in May i would suggest trying the City View Hotel in Stony Hill - a little off the beaten track but a much more enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for so be prepared to spend over $300 if you want something decent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Spanish court hotel during a business trip. I was pleasantly surprise, the rooms have been recently renoved with a modern style, the location is very convenient, the staff is well trained to attend guests. I had dinner at the restaurant and was quite good for a hotel. I found the gym is too small and with little equipment, not very inviting for the guest (a Spa hotel could do better)

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Max S
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just got married in Kingston, and I spent the night before and after my wedding here before we went off to Montego Bay. While I have been to Spanish Court on several occasions for business meeting and lunch, this was my first time sleeping there.

The hotel is very stylish, food is great and staff are the best!

Pros Cons
AA Miles per night

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just returned from a wonderful working trip in Kingston, and was fortunate to be put up at the Spanish Court. Having stayed at other Kingston hotels, the Spanish Court is clearly the elite of Kingston accommodation. While the place was certainly stylish, sometimes I felt style trumped function -- the pool feels more like a water feature than a place you'd like to swim laps, the wash basins are chic but tiny, and do we really need a glass of champagne while checking in? But these are minor quibbles. For me, what made the stay exceptional was the outstanding staff. They have clearly been well trained, but training only goes so far. There seemed to be a culture of genuine hospitality and guest focus. Every staff member I met greeted me, and any difficulty or request was dealt with promptly and efficiently. The included breakfasts were exceptional, including made-to-order omelettes and eggs and lots of fresh fruit. The restaurant, however, is very expensive. Get out of the hotel and walk to Scotchie's or Red Bones or take a cab to M10 for authentic meals at a fraction of the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Candonjan
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2013

First trip to Kingston, and very pleasantly surprised. This well run boutique hotel in the heart of Kingston is a respite from the craziness of Kingston. My room was extremely comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable, the wireless worked great, TV was great with a load of channels, and the air conditioning was nice and cold.

While they certainly checked all the boxes, the thing that makes this hotel special is the staff. Friendly and efficient are the best way to describe them. Kudos to management, I'm told that this is the hardest part of running a good hotel.

Room Tip: Room 215 was very good. The AC didn't blow directly on the bed, and that was a big plus for me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ray2k
NH
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We spent a night at the Spanish Court Hotel (April 12 2013). It was a very nice place. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We were located on the third floor facing the road; we had an awesome view of the mountains.
The staff went out of their way to help you. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. It had fresh fruit, muffins, cereal and omelets made to order. This place is definitely a place to stay if you’re in the Kingston area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dalyce
New York City
Reviewed May 10, 2013

As far as Kingston goes this is the best you can get and this is a very lovely property with a good restaurant and great service. Whenever I need to go to Kingston I always stay at the Spanish Court and I have always had a very pleasant experience. On a very recent trip I sent a new dress to be dry cleaned and this obviously was not done at the hotel. Upon receiving my dress back with a hole in it the manager asked me how much I had payed for it and handed me, in cash, without questions asked, the value of the dress. I was pleasantly surprised and even though slightly upset about the ruined dress I had to give kudos to the amazingly prompt and definitive response of the manager.
The Spanish Court is MY place in Kingston!

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher floor have more light and a better view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Courtyard Kingston, Jamaica
Terra Nova All Suite Hotel
Liguanea Club
Liguanea Club
#8 of 25 in Kingston

Been to The Spanish Court Hotel? Share your experiences!