“Really nice here”

The Spanish Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed here last year. Really superb management and staff. Excellent restaurant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank pinkyblue

Reviewed May 1, 2011

When it comes to Tripadvisor I'm what you call a "taker"... not a "giver". I've used the site for every hotel stay I've had for the past 5 years. I don't think I've ever had one bad experience. But never have I wanted to write a review of the hotel. Well on my last trip to Kingston that all changed. I was travelling to Jamaica (Kingston) on business and stayed at Spanish Court Hotel (SCH) for 1 night after my business trip. During the week I stayed at the Wyndham and then stayed at SCH on Friday night. It was a great experience. I echo what everyone has shared about the hotel rooms. If you're familiar with the W hotel I would consider this the Jamaican take on the W hotel with a Spanish flair. You can read the other reviews for the details... I had breakfast at the restaurant. I missed the buffet, but had a the local breakfast (ackee and saltfish) and it was great.. no complaints (I'm Jamaican.. so I should be able to tell).

All of this was fine... if that was it I'm not sure I would have wrote this review. The reason for the review was the work of the Housekeeping manager.. Stacy Nunez. See, when I checked in for whatever reason the front desk gave me a room that was still being cleaned. It wasn't a big deal... as I was standing in the doorway talking to the lady cleaning the room. I turned around and was greeted by a eager bellman apologizing for the confusion... 5 seconds later Stacy was there apologizing as well. I told her it wasn't a big deal as I was going to be leaving the room shortly. She still didn't think it was ok... so walked me to another room... that was ready. She waited until I checked out the room to make sure I was happy. I was. I went out to eat with a friend and then came back to the room to rest up for the long night (Club Privelege is a couple blocks away... it was pretty good on a Friday night). When I got back to the room I noticed the room smelled a little "smoky". I'm pretty sensitive to the smell of cigarrete smoke, so I tried to air the room out, but after 15 minutes there was no difference. I called the front desk and they said someone would contact me shortly.

15 minutes later... Stacy was at the door with another room. Once again very apologetic. She said she would look into taking care of the charge for the night as she wasn't pleased with the inconveniences I've had to deal with. I was so shocked I wasn't even sure how to respond. See, this goes to the heart of why I believe this hotel should be a great success. SCH is a classy hotel... with employees that aren't striving to just do their job... but to instead really make every single customer happy. I'm planning on letting everyone know about them. :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank takers77
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed here with our two children for one night before driving up to Ochio Rios. The hotel is stylish - boutique style - and the staff extremely friendly and welcoming. Everything looks new and clean. We had a delicious dinner in the restaurant. It was my husband's 50th and they brought champagne up to the room and a cake for dessert (unfortunately I had taken the children up to bed because they were exhausted and missed it!). It was a buffet style breakfast which was very pleasant - not on the scale of American breakfast buffets but still very nice. It's not a big hotel but feels personal and safe. We didn't venture out as we were heading off the next day to Ochio Rios. Would definitely stay here again if we are in Kingston.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SEPLondon
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This is probably the best hotel in Kingston, although its pool and surrounding area is by no means so grandiose as the Wyndham or Pegasus. I was also disappointed with bar service at the pool deck - there quite often seemed to be three or four staff at the bar, but little sign of drinks actually appearing, with someone often popping off to find some missing ingredient. The Martini Hour is a good idea, but not when you have to wait 20 minutes or so for the requested martini to appear.

Service is, however, very friendly throughout the hotel, and the restaurant is excellent for dinner. Disappointed with room lighting - still seems rather dark, as do the reception areas - maybe saving energy?

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KentBaz
Reviewed March 31, 2011

It was my first trip to Jamaïca and I must admit that this hotel is better than most of the hotels i went in the us.. Really nice room, good service, the lobby is really nice too. I didn't even enjoy the spa and swimming pool but had a great time in JA! Locals are really nice. It's a great souvenir.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank HouseKeeping3
Reviewed March 31, 2011

when I checked I was given a room that was freshly painted or had new furniture? It had a burnt plastic smell that was not pleasant. (when these rooms are unoccupied, they need to open all windows and doors to thoroughly air them out)

I contacted the front desk and requested a different room, after 4 attempts, they gave me a nice suite on the courtyard side, I could not recommend a street side room or one near the back up generator.

Definitely appreciated their prompt response.

The outdoor bar by the pool served a respectable plate of food and the beer was icy cold. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Decent breakfast included.

The housekeeping could improve.

Room Tip: request room on inner courtyard, not the street